There is no intelligent reason to make Romo play Sunday

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Can you imagine the ****storm that will occur if Romo plays and gets hurt?

I personally will drive to Dallas to protest/picket in front of Jerry's house.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
not sure how the Cowboys resting had any baring on what happen in 2007. the Cowboys played well in the first half but they gave up a cheap quick touchdown at the end of the 1st half and the momentum carried over to the 2nd half and the Cowboys didn't make the proper adjustments.

They played decent. That whole game was sloppy. Patrick Crayton dropping passes. Romo's accuracy wasn't the best, defense couldn't get key stops at times......

If I'm not mistaken the score was 21-17? Cowboys should've destroyed the Giants. All I remember from that year was how the end of the season came and we sort of took our foot off the peddle. And then we of course went to.....I don't even want to say where they went. Maybe their performance had nothing to do with not having momentum going into the post season. Who knows. But the NFL is a mind game. A big part of what happens on that field is mental.

Right now this team is playing the best football in the league. They are DESTROYING teams. If I'm the coach I'd continue that even with the risk of injury.

Not only that but this team....for the past 3 years has shown they have NOTHING for Jim Haslett's blitz. If we know this i'm sure the rest of the league does to. Sure would be nice to get some practice against that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can you imagine the ****storm that will occur if Romo plays and gets hurt?

I personally will drive to Dallas to protest/picket in front of Jerry's house.

I just don't understand this sort of thinking lol. Its football. Guys can get hurt in the 1st round of the playoffs. Romo can take the field in the 1st round and get knocked out of the 1st quarter. That fear of injury.....I just don't get it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I just don't understand this sort of thinking lol. Its football. Guys can get hurt in the 1st round of the playoffs. Romo can take the field in the 1st round and get knocked out of the 1st quarter. That fear of injury.....I just don't get it.
You don't understand risk and reward?

It's simple stuff. When you have a lot to lose and nothing to gain, you don't do it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Again, why? Why a half? This isn't preseason, where the players need reps to get ready for the season. So why on earth would they even play a half? Just because? What you're saying makes no sense, every team gets a bye during the year, every team plays for one of the top two seeds in their conference each year, precisely to get those pre-playoff byes. There is no concern about "getting cold" or "losing momentum" for those teams, they welcome the rest before starting their playoff run.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it makes no sense. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you. But that may be because your experience and knowledge is limited.
Teams have done it before. Teams that have clinched their divisions, on the last game, have given their players some playing time and then sat them. Why? I don't know. Maybe because they know something we don't. Maybe because they're scared to break or upset rhythm. Maybe there's a psychological element to it. But it happens, and it happens often.

Hoov

Reaction score
There are 2 scenarios to get a bye:

1. Det/GB end in a tie.
2. BOTH Seattle and Arizona lose. Seattle hosts the Rams and Cardinals play Niners.

The first scenario has about a .000001 chance of happening.
The second scenario is very unlikely just because Seattle is not losing to the Rams.

But here's the kicker. If scenario 2 happens, we get a bye. No matter the result of our game. We can lose and still get a bye if this scenario happens.
Scenario 1 requires us to actually win.

Play Romo and the starters a couple of series to establish something and then sit them. It realistically means nada. Of course they want to play. They are pros and only play 16 of these a year. No pro athlete worth anything will tell you he wants to sit. But this is where the head coach and the staff has to make those decisions for them.

How does that work ?

Plankton

Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it makes no sense. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you. But that may be because your experience and knowledge is limited.
Teams have done it before. Teams that have clinched their divisions, on the last game, have given their players some playing time and then sat them. Why? I don't know. Maybe because they know something we don't. Maybe because they're scared to break or upset rhythm. Maybe there's a psychological element to it. But it happens, and it happens often.

So you choose to generalize these types of things and completely ignore the details of our specific situation? We have a QB who is dealing with a bad back, one who has clearly shown he is much more effective when he gets more rest, not less. We find ourselves in a situation where we can't improve our standing AT ALL by winning this last game. Coaches who give their players some playing time on the last week are generally those that have a bye the following week, or their team is playing like **** and need to find some positives before heading into the playoffs. Coaches are less inclined to give their players two full weeks off because that can have an impact on continuity. But one week? EVERY team plays for those byes, precisely so they can have the full week to recover before the playoffs start. How did Romo do after the team's official bye this year? He threw for 4 touchdowns. How about after the mini-bye we had after Thanksgiving? Did the team start out cold and sluggish? No, we jumped all over the Eagles (who had more "continuity" because they played the Sunday before).

Seriously, *** are some of you talking about? It's like you just started following football yesterday.

Hoov

Reaction score
Seattle will be 11-5 and Cowboys will be 11-5. We beat them head 2 head so we are a higher seed than they are.

So if both teams win they will both be 12-4 - so why wouldnt we get the bye then ? It seems like we dont need the seahawks to lose

gdogg24

Reaction score
so let me ask a Q?

do you think Seattle sits anybody ?

Why would they? They need to beat the Rams lol ARZ needs to win for a chance at the bye we're then only team in our conference with this luxury.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You don't understand risk and reward?

It's simple stuff. When you have a lot to lose and nothing to gain, you don't do it.

Risk and reward would be playing your guys and keeping momentum. Why even risk playing our guys in the 1st round? Why not sit them until the next round. Especially if we play the Panthers or Falcons?

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
So if both teams win they will both be 12-4 - so why wouldnt we get the bye then ? It seems like we dont need the seahawks to lose

because Green Bay or Lions will be 12-4 as well. 3-way tie disregards head-to-head so we lose out in that scenario because our conference record is worst than everyone else.

gdogg24

Reaction score
With a possible Bye Week on the line, I don't see how it wouldn't be "intelligent" to play him.

Then you must be under the impression we need to win to earn the bye WE DON'T! If we lose and Sea + Arz still lose we STILL END UP WITH THE BYE!

gdogg24

Reaction score
Risk and reward would be playing your guys and keeping momentum. Why even risk playing our guys in the 1st round? Why not sit them until the next round. Especially if we play the Panthers or Falcons?

Because we can't get matched up against the Panthers or Falcons first of all, and THAT GAME WOULD MATTER! This one does nothing for us!