Twitter: There may not be kickoffs in the future

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
How will young player get opportunities... the nfl needs to come out with developmental league...

MS17

Reaction score
I understand but we can’t just look at this issue thru the eyes of a fan. The business aspect ultimately will decide the fate of the NFL. And if it becomes too great of a liability no owner is going to want to invest or be involved.
Agree with this. The fans do get it, "we need to make the game safer". Tinkering with the rules, doing away with unsafe plays after each season also means diminishing returns...at what point or time do fans find something else to do on Sundays?

Jipper

Reaction score
if they get rid or kickoffs then the writing is on the wall for the game to move to flag football. Stinks but the reality is that the days most of us grew up watching are likely gone and football will be replaced with a near non contact version that highlights the components that fans want with fantasy.

If that is the case, and this is where the game is going then a good ammount of fans will be turned off (the ones that are older) but the younger fans that are very into fantasy football likely wont care...the game will continue but will not really be what it was and will lose the older generations of fans...

Just sucks...i dont like any of the other major sports and if the nfl changes so much that i dont recognize it anymore then i will likely stop watching also.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree with this. The fans do get it, "we need to make the game safer". Tinkering with the rules, doing away with unsafe plays after each season also means diminishing returns...at what point or time do fans find something else to do on Sundays?
That’s a great question.

I’ve been watching football on Saturday and Sundays since I recall for over 60 years now so I seriously doubt anything will deter my activities for 4 months a year regardless how the game is tampered with.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes..because fans are smart...it insults their intelligence if you try to water down the game YET still call it the NFL. At some point fans will walk away if this continues.
Where will you walk to?

I’ve been watching football on Saturday and Sundays since the 60’s. It’s what I do on the weekends 4 months of the year.
I’m a Football junkie!! Isn’t everyone here?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They should do away with tackling.
I’d still watch it. But then I’m a football junkie. I still attend High School football on Friday nights and College football on Saturdays. I enjoy watching the neighborhood kids play.

Back in the70’s and 80’s there used to be a special on ABC called “Super stars “or something like that where former NFL stars played flag football. It was great .

And if football lost some viewers with less violence would that be all bad? This notion we need concussions and body parts flying around to enjoy the game is insane .

blueblood70

Reaction score
The snowflakes running the NFL are ruining a once great American pastime.
exactly im still perplexed given all the stuff that gone on under RG that somehow he gets an extension and jerry pays a 2mil fine for contesting it..something just isn't right here..I realize these guys make big money and it starts with keeping stars on the field but not at the cost of ruining the game..these guys know going in what Football is and that injuries both short term and some like CTE long term is part of the game.. you hope it doesn't happen but they get paid big real big money to play a kids game and this is part of it.. as a fan i don't want to see guys get hurt but Defenses and blocker being able to put Ronnie lot/ roy Williams types of hits on guys is what separates Football from other sports, it makes those players think before they stretch out coming over the middle etc.. they have shrunk the hit zone so small im not sure how the heck the defenders are supposed tackle at all with the speed of the game and angles the way they are combined with t a lot of these targeting penaltys are poorly called, most players with the ball in their hand start ducking and diving when they feel a tackle coming and that in itself creates a lot of these helmet to helmet shots.. its unfair to not only penalize the player and team for this but than fine them and throw them out of game..

you have to allow some of these hits I mean jeez you are leading with your helmet and supposed to be outing your face right into the other player with form tackle but by the time the ball carrier starts ducking as you arrive to make the hit it ends up being some helmet contact..

DallasDomination

Reaction score
If they cut down on the fouls in basketball and made the pace faster I would have zero issues moving my attention that way. If they were smart they would capitalize.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Adios NFL, that easy. I stopped watching the NBA and moving away from the NFL will be cake

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Sure seems easy to throw around “snowflake” comments when you’re not the one taking the shots....
Nobody is forcing them too. The old players did it and they weren't paid enough for the risk. They played it because they loved the game. I'm not saying don't do some things to make it safer but they are going overboard. Football is a violent sport. If they don't like it then don't play it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once they changed the kickoff point where it made touchbacks routine I felt like we might be headed toward eliminating kickoffs altogether. I like there being a different play and circumstances to start off each possession. Without it there would be a bit of a scrimmage feel to it. I suppose I would get past that, but it wouldn't sit well at first.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That's lame.....Kickoff's and punts are a that little added flavor that keeps things interesting. I WANT return teams on the field making games exciting. If I want predictability...I'll go watch bowling tournaments.
YUP...it takes away an x factor we call SPECIAL TEAMS. Its becoming too scripted. NO FUN LEAGUE...NFL

Rayman70

Reaction score
Where will you walk to?

I’ve been watching football on Saturday and Sundays since the 60’s. It’s what I do on the weekends 4 months of the year.
I’m a Football junkie!! Isn’t everyone here?
Yes..but most of us watch because its still an honest sport...still has some intrigue involved. If you take away kickoffs and change the rules so much,it makes the game no longer genuine. The game is suppose to be controlled chaos and yes..VIOLENCE...with basic rules. Now the game has become murky...and I don't think we want to watch a robotic almost predetermined sport.or outcome. Kick offs are that x factor..special teams. You eliminate that aspect of the game,that takes away not only jobs for many players who otherwise couldn't make a team...THEN B...takes away a fun aspect of the notion MAYBE a team can win a ball game via a kick return. Field position....

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Arena League and the NFL will be on the same par in 5 years. The NFL is pro ball for a reason. I don't need to see 60-70 pass attempts by a team and 60 point games by 1 team to be entertained. The quality goes to HELL if this happens. I rather see a 13-10 type game anyday. You know , 3 yards and a cloud of dust,with the occasional post route for a chunk of yards...HIGH QUALITY competitive ball.I will watch the XFL in 2020..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
lmao...If that happens we are definitely in the middle of the apocalypse.
I don't wanna get banned, but you know where I'm going. The world is certainly getting softer.