They cannot make the Lamb mistake again

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Thatis the problem with the draft, one Def player cant be changing all the teams Outlook, For rebuilding the defense we need to invest heavily in D , through draft and FA, not the brush up kind of FA ( McCoy, Poe) .

Unfortunately, we have only 2-3 players in DL good enough and need quality starters in DT and backup DEs but more importantly Good set of LBs atleast one LB (in the mould of LuKe K or Bobby Wagner).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is just ridiculous.

You mentioned Chaisson? Guy who had 12 tackles and 1 sack on the yr? Compared to somebody who had 74 catches for 935 and 5tds?

In the 34 picks from 17 to 51 between dallas picks there were 14 players taken

Round 1
Chaisson 12 tackles 1 sack
kenneth murray 68 tackles 1 sack
jordyn brooks 35 tackles
patrick queen 66 tackles 3 sacks 1 int
noah inbinoghene 13 tackles
jeff gladney 63 tackles
Round 2
xavier mckinney 14 tackles 1 int
kyle dugger 43 tackles
yetur gross matos 9 tackles 2.5 sacks
ross blacklock 10 tackles
grant delpit 0 stats
antoine winfield jr 64 tackles 1 int
marlon davidson 2 tackles
darrell taylor 0 stats
jaylon johnson 34 tackles

You can actually take out the round 2 guys because they wouldnt even be a factor in Dallas selecting Lamb. Looking at the defensive guys drafted behind Lamb and what they did do you see how ridiculous your rant is? Dallas clearly made the right pick. No doubt in my mind. And its not even close. Yes, he wasnt the biggest need, but who were they going to pick? A guy who had 12 tackles and 1 sack? Then you'd be complaining about this is why the F.O is bad because they wasted a pick on guy who only got 12 tackles and 1 sack when they could've gotten a star WR in the making.

I knew there wasnt a defensive player worth taking over Lamb but i didnt know it was that bad. You really should've looked into this before making this thread.
There are other options other than Chaisson because Lamb wasn't going to make the O appreciably better in 2020, and he didn't. There also wasn't a D player left that was going to make the D appreciably better in 2020. Overall, the team was not appreciably better in 2020.

The draft rule is they don't have to draft. If the target players to address the problems are off the board, get what they can for next season or better yet, pull a trade for a D player that another team will have a hard time fitting under their cap.

There were other options.

Rant? You think that's a rant? Rants have big letters and things like these !!!!!!! at the end of sentences.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Team isn't complete enough to where you can draft for want. If they have the oppurtunity to draft a 5 year starter (in last years case Lamb) at a position that has no long term current option then yeah I have no problem with that.

BPA isn't irrelevant when there's a gigantic gap on your board. For example at pick #10 if there's a left guard with Quenton Nelson level upside or a TE with George Kittle level upside then those 2 would obviously be the picks over a DT with Malcom Brown level talent. Picking the DT because "uhh it's a higher need" is awful when the talent gap is that large.

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
There are other options other than Chaisson because Lamb wasn't going to make the O appreciably better in 2020, and he didn't. There also wasn't a D player left that was going to make the D appreciably better in 2020. Overall, the team was not appreciably better in 2020.

The draft rule is they don't have to draft. If the target players to address the problems are off the board, get what they can for next season or better yet, pull a trade for a D player that another team will have a hard time fitting under their cap.

There were other options.

Rant? You think that's a rant? Rants have big letters and things like these !!!!!!! at the end of sentences.

What were the options? I gave you every defensive player drafted between 18 and 50 and none of them provided anything near the production the team got from Lamb. And ill even go further and say Dallas got more production from Diggs then any of them def players drafted before him.

Yes its a rant, because Dallas clearly drafted the the BPA. And they got more production then anybody they couldve drafted on defense. Its a rant because youre going in on the team in a misguided way. They did the right thing in drafting Lamb. Gallup most likely wont be able to be kept, because he;s going to get atleast 15mil AAV on his next deal. You try to use drops as a bases for your rant. Lamb had 9 drops in the whole yr. Thats less than 1 per game. Tyreke Hill and DK Metcalf were right there with him too.

Terrell Owens, Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Marvin Harrison dropped alot of pass aswell. Because they were affraid to go for the catches where they were going to get hit. As Lamb did alot of this yr. As a rookie.

I understand what were trying to say, but its wrong in every way. You say they should've traded. Its easy to say that but you have to have a trade partner. You say they should've traded for a dt. You do realize they have a time limit to get that done right? This isnt madden where you can just click on a name and offer a trade.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What were the options? I gave you every defensive player drafted between 18 and 50 and none of them provided anything near the production the team got from Lamb. And ill even go further and say Dallas got more production from Diggs then any of them def players drafted before him.

Yes its a rant, because Dallas clearly drafted the the BPA. And they got more production then anybody they couldve drafted on defense. Its a rant because youre going in on the team in a misguided way. They did the right thing in drafting Lamb. Gallup most likely wont be able to be kept, because he;s going to get atleast 15mil AAV on his next deal. You try to use drops as a bases for your rant. Lamb had 9 drops in the whole yr. Thats less than 1 per game. Tyreke Hill and DK Metcalf were right there with him too.

Terrell Owens, Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Marvin Harrison dropped alot of pass aswell. Because they were affraid to go for the catches where they were going to get hit. As Lamb did alot of this yr. As a rookie.

I understand what were trying to say, but its wrong in every way. You say they should've traded. Its easy to say that but you have to have a trade partner. You say they should've traded for a dt. You do realize they have a time limit to get that done right? This isnt madden where you can just click on a name and offer a trade.
:hammer::popcorn:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
So how do you get "capital" on defense when you use your no. 17 pick on offense and don't have another pick until 51?

Just asking...

They got a starting corner in round 2. Gallimore (a 3rd round pick) came on as a starting DT later in the year. If they hit better in free agency the team would have been a lot better.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
No doubt you can't go strictly for need, or just go bpa. I've said for years it has to be a balance between them. Trading down does give you more picks, and after all you can't have all first rounders, whether you go bpa or for need, after about round 2 it's largely a crap shoot, though evaluations can help. If you have multiple needs even if you pick bpa in later rounds with more picks the more likelihood that bpa will also fill a need, nice to get those picks...

I don't think the trade value was there. Falcons tried to trade down and couldn't find a deal they liked.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Can't argue that but when do they begin to work on the D with real effect. Part of this is pitting Chaisson against Lamb as the pick so Lamb looks like the no brainer pick and that is hard to argue.

I am simply saying there were other alternatives to Chaisson or Lamb such as a trade down or out. What's wrong with checking all the teams with D players coming up for their 2nd contract and the teams not having the space? Think they're might have been another Mack or Chandler Jones deal to be made for that pick?

I can argue the best 1st the Cowboys have made in the last 10 years, except Martin, was the trade for Cooper. Who's to say they couldn't have parlayed that 17th into a difference maker like Mack or Jones?

I like Lamb, I like him so much I would be shopping him right now for a D stud or picks. The Cowboys are rich with WR's and poor with the secondary.

We don't have the cap space to trade for keep trading for players who are about to need a new deal. If the Cowboys wanted to pay someone else they should have kept Byron Jones.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Ok so who is he replacing exactly when Jaylon just signed a major deal, Vander Esch is the 1st pick from the year before and Sean Lee signed a deal in the offseason. I liked Queen don't get me wrong I just don't see who he's replacing if all this money is tied up in the position.

Exactly. At the time, Jaylon Smith and Vander Esch were considered a top lb duo in the league based on 2018. The general consensus was better defensive tackle play would elevate Smith and Vander Esch's game back to where they were in 2018. Also I haven't watched the Ravens much but it's possible Queen doesn't look as good playing here as he does with the Ravens. I'm sure the Ravens at least have better defensive tackles.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!
Jerry Dumbo GM Jones loves a deal and he is going to draft Devonta Smith or tell you to drink the Kool-Aid that Jaylen Waddle was a top 5 pick before the injury and we got him at no. 10.

Detroit 0-16 here we go (Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Calvin Johnson).

9darter

Reaction score
23 pages because a guy didn't care to repeat the BPA cliché?

Jeebus.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Imagine thinking you determine all your draft picks based on current roster need.
That Lamb pick was easily the best selection since Dak in the 4th round..

The kid is lighting in a bottle, and I can't envision any scenario where he doesn't just eclipse Cooper's ability, but I think he's going to shatter that standard and do things truly special as a WR...
  • Besides that dropped pass, we shouldn't mention, he's got great hands, power, misdirection, size, speed, tracking ability, and other intangibles, which could make him a Dallas Cowboys legend forever...
AP20327813987388.jpg

cowboyec

Reaction score
IF we are to do that, then we better hope we can move Coop or Gallup for him for a high enough pick to get him. Cuz I don't want us using the 10 on him when we need Parsons.
i don't think they move on from Jaylon.
with Gallup possibly being a f/a after next season....if we don't extend/re-sign him first....and if both CBs are gone...Smith could easily be bpa.
and that might make possibly losing Gallup hurt less.
if we are able to keep Gallup...
:flagwave:4 WIDES BABY!!!!!!:flagwave:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
i don't think they move on from Jaylon.
with Gallup possibly being a f/a after next season....if we don't extend/re-sign him first....and if both CBs are gone...Smith could easily be bpa.
and that might make possibly losing Gallup hurt less.
if we are able to keep Gallup...
:flagwave:4 WIDES BABY!!!!!!:flagwave:

I can see that, but the cap is going to shoot through the roof next season with the TV deals. I think we'll be able to keep Gallup. However, we'd need to trade Gallup if we're going to try to get Smith. And we need defence or Sewell early much worse than anything else. Even if we don't move on from Jaylon, going LB early puts him on notice. We need to upgrade that spot.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I can see that, but the cap is going to shoot through the roof next season with the TV deals. I think we'll be able to keep Gallup. However, we'd need to trade Gallup if we're going to try to get Smith. And we need defence or Sewell early much worse than anything else. Even if we don't move on from Jaylon, going LB early puts him on notice. We need to upgrade that spot.
i don't think they will go Smith.
i think one of those CBs will be there.
but i'm not gonna lie.....having Dak return with Cooper,Gallup,Lamb and Devonta Smith.
:omg::omg:WRx4:omg::omg: