They cannot make the Lamb mistake again

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
What were the options? I gave you every defensive player drafted between 18 and 50 and none of them provided anything near the production the team got from Lamb. And ill even go further and say Dallas got more production from Diggs then any of them def players drafted before him.

Yes its a rant, because Dallas clearly drafted the the BPA. And they got more production then anybody they couldve drafted on defense. Its a rant because youre going in on the team in a misguided way. They did the right thing in drafting Lamb. Gallup most likely wont be able to be kept, because he;s going to get atleast 15mil AAV on his next deal. You try to use drops as a bases for your rant. Lamb had 9 drops in the whole yr. Thats less than 1 per game. Tyreke Hill and DK Metcalf were right there with him too.

Terrell Owens, Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Marvin Harrison dropped alot of pass aswell. Because they were affraid to go for the catches where they were going to get hit. As Lamb did alot of this yr. As a rookie.

I understand what were trying to say, but its wrong in every way. You say they should've traded. Its easy to say that but you have to have a trade partner. You say they should've traded for a dt. You do realize they have a time limit to get that done right? This isnt madden where you can just click on a name and offer a trade.

BAAAAAM....nice to someone put the OP in there place.....:flagwave:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
i don't think they will go Smith.
i think one of those CBs will be there.
but i'm not gonna lie.....having Dak return with Cooper,Gallup,Lamb and Devonta Smith.
:omg::omg:WRx4:omg::omg:

That would be electrifying, but, at some point, you'll have too many cooks in the kitchen imo. That would be excessive, and not enough balls to go around there. I'd like a CB at 10, but I like Parsons or the LB from NC at 10 better.

cowboyec

Reaction score
That would be electrifying, but, at some point, you'll have too many cooks in the kitchen imo. That would be excessive, and not enough balls to go around there. I'd like a CB at 10, but I like Parsons or the LB from NC at 10 better.
i like the 2 CBs...Surtain and Farley.
i'm intrigued by the 2 DEs...Rousseau and Paye.
i like Leatherwood,Slater and Ohio St T/G Wyatt Davis.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Lamb was in the same tier as a player of greater position need, they would've taken the other player.

But Lamb was ranked WAY higher than anyone left on their board. Maybe even two tiers above what was left if they, in fact, had him ranked in their top 10.

Two choices
  1. Take the obvious player (Lamb in this case) or
  2. Trade down if you get a great offer

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
i like the 2 CBs...Surtain and Farley.
i'm intrigued by the 2 DEs...Rousseau and Paye.
i like Leatherwood,Slater and Ohio St T/G Wyatt Davis.

Not bad choices. I like those ideas. Additionally, I've just discovered that Packers CB Kevin King will be a FA after this season. He's been good for them. If they don't resign him, maybe we can get him to reunite with his old coach here to put on the other side of Diggs.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Not bad choices. I like those ideas. Additionally, I've just discovered that Packers CB Kevin King will be a FA after this season. He's been good for them. If they don't resign him, maybe we can get him to reunite with his old coach here to put on the other side of Diggs.
wouldn't hate that.
good player.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Drafting is not about individual talent. It's about building a team. That's why BPA is such a horrific way to draft.

Agree, unless there's an obvious BPA who is a massive upgrade on anyone on the board...... even I with my obsession with improving the defense thought the Lamb pick was too good to pass over.....and by the draft we'd 'improved the D with McCoy, Poe, Clinton-Dix and Aldon.

This year it WILL be a defensive player, any position (other than DE).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
wouldn't hate that.
good player.

That he is, and putting him in the secondary with Diggs and Wilson would make our secondary dangerous. I was pleading on the old side for us to draft King when he was coming out in the draft. Now that we have McCarthy, maybe we can sway him into coming here.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Lamb was in the same tier as a player of greater position need, they would've taken the other player.

But Lamb was ranked WAY higher than anyone left on their board. Maybe even two tiers above what was left if they, in fact, had him ranked in their top 10.

Two choices
  1. Take the obvious player (Lamb in this case) or
  2. Trade down if you get a great offer
Considering the conditions the draft was under, the groundwork for any trade would have had to be laid before the draft started.

In fact, those conditions might have been in our favor because for Booger, there was no decision to make, that was the easiest pick he ever made. Like I said, the player is sound and worthy of the 1st round maybe higher than 17 but this did not help the team and I stand by that. However, I don't know what they might have done differently under those circumstances.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, unless there's an obvious BPA who is a massive upgrade on anyone on the board...... even I with my obsession with improving the defense thought the Lamb pick was too good to pass over.....and by the draft we'd 'improved the D with McCoy, Poe, Clinton-Dix and Aldon.

This year it WILL be a defensive player, any position (other than DE).
Don't be surprised if it's offense again. One thing for sure, Booger doesn't always agree with our assessment of needs.

He is so dependent on others that if they tell him problem solved with McCoy, Poe, Clinton-Dix and Smith, let's move onto other things.

Of the 32 GM's, I'd bet he spends the least amount of time on the requirements of the job and has admitted to not watching film but in order to do that properly, he has to know what he's looking for. We get highlight reels on many players but someone has to look deeper than that.

I honestly think he feels the better his offense, the less dependent he is on a defense. That model of IND and NO winning their rings with O and opportunistic D is much more to his liking and when he watches KC, his eyes are on Mahomes, Kelse and Hill not Chris Jones. Same with GB, all about Rodgers and Adams, the Smith Brothers are just along for the ride.

He doesn't watch the team like a GM does, more like a fan. A GM watches for all the mistakes and changes he might have to make or he gets changed out. It's all about what's there for Booger; other GM's focus on what's missing. They have to, they answer to someone else.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Lamb was the right pick then and still is. Fantastic player and a difference maker.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!
It was no doubt the right pick. In the 1st round you always go for BPA.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think when your team needs on defense are so plentiful, a fan's criticism of going WR with their first round pick is justifiable. Lamb is a great player, but it seems we are farther away from a championship team now than we were at this time last year.
SMH. You’re forgetting all the injuries to key players. Like most haters do.

Carson

Reaction score

Mannn I wanted King during the draft. So this would make me very happy.

These are the signings we need to make to not force picks in the draft.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMH. You’re forgetting all the injuries to key players. Like most haters do.
Hey, don't compare me to a hater. Who the hell do you think you are?

Plus, the defense was terrible before all the injuries. SMH

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mannn I wanted King during the draft. So this would make me very happy.

These are the signings we need to make to not force picks in the draft.

Definitely, and if Jerry starts opening up the wallet this season for REAL FAs (not rubbish ones like Poe and McCoy and expecting magic beans to appear) like King and Williams, we will be able to use the draft to FIX this defence without forcing picks. I'm not asking for many signings. I want quality, not quantity. Signing Dak, King, and Williams would be QUALITY. Sign those 3, call it a FA, and go into the draft.

Loso86

Reaction score
At the time, we didn't know. This isn't about looking back because we didn't know what we know now.

Impact is the tricky part because I am looking for immediate impact and a problem solved with that 1st pick. I did not see WR as a problem, especially when they'd just let the two best D players walk. They let Beasley walk as well but the best DB is a problem and they might have taken Diggs instead of Chaisson for fear of losing him.
Sure but if we let him go and took need we would eventually be looking back at the draft like a taco jj watt situation. That value there was too good to pass up. IF there was a defensive player there that was worth it then yes. Only guy I might have taken was Murray LB from OU. But the team itself has said they were discussing T Diggs at that pick if Lamb wasnt there. AND they still ended up with him.