Things You're Not Good At

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I could never get the hang of ice skating backwards. Forwards, I can manage, but I could just never turn around and skate.

Yes, I was the same way with rollerblading back in my youth. I had friends that could flip around and skate backwards like champs and I'll I did was either go stupid slow or fall on my behind. :laugh:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Small talk. I hate when my Wife has us hosts a party and I have to sit there talking to the Husbands/Boyfriends. Almost none of them are into anything interesting (Movies, NFL, MMA, Fishing, Cars, Beer, etc) so I'll fire up some '80s movies on Netflix and give them some beer (not the good stuff, obviously).

After about an hour, I'll "go to the bathroom" and then dip out to my game room (that I don't let them know I have) where I'll watch MMA or whatever's on. Periodically (like every 30-45 min) I'll sneak back into living room to offer them more beer and then sneak back into the bat cave. Rinse and repeat until they're about to leave and then I reappear at the front door to say "Thanks for stopping by!".

Lool, that’s awesome.

I know the feeling, but it seems you’ve got your routine down to a science.

My wife and I have gotten into arguments about similar things. Mostly it’s when she drags me out to some get together with her friends. I have no idea why women feel the need to drag their husbands into their gatherings.

The last straw for me was about a year ago when she mandated that I had to go to a gathering of her girlfriends from high school. After the inevitable mundane surface level chattering that seemingly last all day we got home and I told that’s the last time I’m ever doing that.

Last edited:

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lool, that’s awesome.

I know the feeling, but it seems you’ve got your routine down to a science.

My wife and I have gotten into arguments about similar things. Mostly it’s when she drags me out to some get together with her friends. I have no idea why women feel the need to drag their husbands into their gatherings.

The last straw for me was about a year ago when she mandated that I had to go to a gathering of her girlfriends from high school. After the inevitable mundane surface level chattering that seemingly last all day we got home and I told that’s the last time I’m ever doing that.
Oh yeah. I shut down going to “get togethers” probably a decade ago for the reasons you’ve just stated. So she’ll usually go alone while I watch the kids. She’s Filipino, so it’s mostly 30-50 year old Pinay women eating food and singing bad karaoke...

I don’t mind her having people over at the house much anymore. I got my routine for the main floor. Then, when the wives are sauced-up with crappy wine, they migrate down into the basement (converted into a karaoke bar) and then the real screeching begins...

That’s when I donn noise canceling headphones and continue having my own party up above..

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Small talk. I hate when my Wife has us hosts a party and I have to sit there talking to the Husbands/Boyfriends. Almost none of them are into anything interesting (Movies, NFL, MMA, Fishing, Cars, Beer, etc) so I'll fire up some '80s movies on Netflix and give them some beer (not the good stuff, obviously).

After about an hour, I'll "go to the bathroom" and then dip out to my game room (that I don't let them know I have) where I'll watch MMA or whatever's on. Periodically (like every 30-45 min) I'll sneak back into living room to offer them more beer and then sneak back into the bat cave. Rinse and repeat until they're about to leave and then I reappear at the front door to say "Thanks for stopping by!".
My wife is Brazilian and most of her friends speak Portuguese. I've started learning Portuguese, but she is very social and I'm starting to have second thoughts. Since most of them speak Portuguese and I don't. That gives me reason to go some place else since I (and they) can't understand them (me) much anyhow.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could never get the hang of ice skating backwards. Forwards, I can manage, but I could just never turn around and skate.
Why would you need to? Ya drop something, pick it up on the next go around. Hell, if I had this much trouble getting from point A to point B on ice skates, I'm surely not going back to A in reverse.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Why would you need to? Ya drop something, pick it up on the next go around. Hell, if I had this much trouble getting from point A to point B on ice skates, I'm surely not going back to A in reverse.

It's for all that romantic crap so you can skate backwards while holding her hands looking at her and crap. The heck with that. I'm not any good at being romantic.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's for all that romantic crap so you can skate backwards while holding her hands looking at her and crap. The heck with that. I'm not any good at being romantic.
That's shocking, considering you want to build a time machine to go back and make out with some Russian chick.

kskboys

Reaction score
Keeping my mouth shut.

In general. Especially in the past at various jobs. If I see something off, something needs to be done or corrected or whatever, I say so. And that doesn't go over so well, especially back in the early 90's when I worked for the govt. They especially don't like it when the new guy is smarter than they are. Gets you canned.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Keeping my mouth shut.

In general. Especially in the past at various jobs. If I see something off, something needs to be done or corrected or whatever, I say so. And that doesn't go over so well, especially back in the early 90's when I worked for the govt. They especially don't like it when the new guy is smarter than they are. Gets you canned.
I think you mean "when the new guy THINKS he's smarter."
:muttley::muttley::muttley: