CFZ This 2024 rookie QB is older than Trey Lance and why it matters

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Kellen Moore had a lot of college experience. Probably high school also. He was like 48-2 or 49-1 at Boise State. A record for the NCAA at that time.
Where is he now? :muttley:

Trey does not have much experience, but he has so much more potential from what little we know at this point.
Yes, not a good analogy. But it is based on experience vs. limited experience only.
It will remain unrealized potential as long as he’s on the bench. If he shows promise he should be the starting quarterback. Now. Not 2025. Right now. Why does Jerry cling to Dak?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Pls provide a great game Lance has played at QB and include stats.
He hasn’t. So what? He’s a development QB who barely played 1 season in college and nothing before. This is the NFL. They eat those types up. It will take him time and reps. So yes, you do not know and neither do I.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The HC said they didn’t give Lance the chance and the injuries set him back. They said they traded him because he needed more time to develop and they wanted to see him succeed. He wasn’t going to get any playing time there with Purdy.
Do you think they would have found a trade partner if they said he has not idea what he is doing?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Do you think they would have found a trade partner if they said he has not idea what he is doing?
Everyone knows he’s raw. Niners weren’t able to give him the time. The Cowboys may not be able to give him time. How many games has he played in college or the NFL? He’s a project and needs time to develop.

Chasing6

Reaction score
BH, I heard Caleb Williams has had a horrible OTAs camp so far. Caleb Williams was the overall #1 draft pick taken in this year's draft. Seems to me some college QBs are simply overrated (no matter how much college game experience they have)...

“Really rough day for Caleb Williams and the starting offense. A lot of incomplete passes and near interceptions.

In the 7-on-7 period, Williams completed just three passes. Jaylon Johnson nearly had an interception over the middle of the field.

In the team period, most of the passes were completed to the flat, and Williams held onto the ball for a long time.” -Nicholas Moreano

https://share.newsbreak.com/70vkj46f
Well if you look at his tape he makes a lot of athletic plays. However, the ball rarely came out on time, which is a sign that you can't read a defense. The average throw in the NFL is like 3.5 seconds or less.

He likes to hold onto the ball until someone is wide open. That will not work in the NFL.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well if you look at his tape he makes a lot of athletic plays. However, the ball rarely came out on time, which is a sign that you can't read a defense. The average throw in the NFL is like 3.5 seconds or less.

He likes to hold onto the ball until someone is wide open. That will not work in the NFL.
Ouff! You're right. Doesn't Trey Lance have the same problem? Very athletical and can hit a wide open receiver if given time but struggles with quick-hitting, tight window throws?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Everyone knows he’s raw. Niners weren’t able to give him the time. The Cowboys may not be able to give him time. How many games has he played in college or the NFL? He’s a project and needs time to develop.
The time???? I think the Niners figure out they did not have enough time in the contract he signed with them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
my question is when will anyone besides dak get to play in a real game??
We did see cooper rush , and after going 5-1 they pulled him.

There are 17 games in a season, surely they could give lance and rush a couple of them ??

Chasing6

Reaction score
my question is when will anyone besides dak get to play in a real game??
We did see cooper rush , and after going 5-1 they pulled him.

There are 17 games in a season, surely they could give lance and rush a couple of them ??
Sure that what most teams do with a top 10 QB.

plymkr

Reaction score
Makes me wonder how in the heck then could Lance be drafted so high?
I’ve thought about that as well. I’m a big fan of Lance and his potential. But with that being said I don’t understand why the 49ers drafted him at #3 and traded the farm for him. I believe Dallas had a 2nd round grade on him. Considering his inexperience I thought that was even a tad high. So in the end we got a guy who we rated as a #2 for a #4. I’d like to see him sign a backup money contract before the preseason or during the preseason so we can keep developing him for the future.

But going back to the point, I think the 49ers made a mistake from the jump. I just don’t see justification for drafting him that high IMO.

plymkr

Reaction score
, the Cowboys aren't contenders due to one reason, the QB.
And the run defense. I’m not a Dak homer but there’s 2 issues I feel cause us to fail in the playoffs . Dak shrinks in big games and so does our defense, especially the run defense.

plymkr

Reaction score
Again…Pennix is 24, exactly one day older than Lance. No one knows if Pennix was a mistake for Atl yet or not. I think he was underrated going into this draft. But no one knows for sure. He could be a mistake or a steal. We will see.

The reason I mentioned Pennix in comparison to Lance is they are almost exactly the same age being born one day apart. Pennix had 45 starts in college playing for two different power 5 schools which is very helpful in preparing for the NFL. Lance had 17 starts at an FCS school. If he had had more time at the college level it’s possible he would have had a better shot.

Time will tell what Lance and Pennix are.
It’s too early to tell if Pennix was a mistake because he obviously hasn’t played a down. But the mistake I would say Atlanta made was signing Cousins. Unless their plan was to sign Kirk to be a 1-3 year bridge while they develop Pennix. But I feel they made a mistake if they signed Kirk for the purpose of being a long term QB AND drafting Pennix. So we’ll have to stay tuned on this one. If I was a Falcons fan I’d be very confused about this.

plymkr

Reaction score

This is a part of his game that will have to be improved.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The Lance trade could end up being good or bad. Right now to me it’s “meh” at best.

If Lance doesn’t turn out to be more than a backup, it’s isn’t a total disaster for a 4th round pick. But if that’s all he’s worth, at his current pay he’s overpaid to be a backup. We will learn a lot this training camp and in ps games. I have serious doubts but I’m still hoping he’s more than he’s shown so far.

Having that 4th rounder this year would have given us an additional chance to get a decent RB in this year’s draft. Everyone that says Lance is our “next starting QB” is just wish-casting. I mean its possible but as it stands now, not likely.

It’s way too early to know if Atlanta made a mistake. I will say they probably know a lot more about Pennix after 45 college starts than the niners knew about Lance with his 17.
Great points and we know the guy that made the decision to spend a 4th round pick has a long history of squandering picks on subpar QBs (Stephen McGee, Quincy Carter, Drew Hanson, Chutch, etc. since we’d hate to waste a 1st round pick on a QB).