This coaching staff can not get another year

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So, we have a completely new coaching staff.
We had no offseason.
We had no preseason.
Kamara, Hyatt, Collins, Smith, Hill, Prescott, Diggs, Biadasz, Jarwin, Parker, Martin, Ankou, Jones, Wilson, Erving, and Brown are all on injured reserve, not to mention players playing with injuries.
The O line lost two sets of tackles.
We have the worst defense in the NFL.
COVID nonsense with moving certain games around.
COVID in general.
No time to properly evaluate younger players or fulfill the new coaches with the types of players they need in free agency.

These aren't excuses, they factual events that contributed to an awful roster. You can't expect anyone to simply overcome these obstacles, unprecedented as they are. It's a miracle we can even compete at all.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, yeah, I think they can get another year, and probably will.

There may be an outside chance Nolan will be fired, although I doubt it, but not a chance in heal McCarthy will.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
You don't believe injuries and covid haven't messed up the Cowboys?

Seriously?

Exactly how was this coaching staff supposed to put in their system with no offseason, no minicamp, no QB camp, no training camp, and no preseason games? On top of that the Cowboys are in the middle of the historic worse injury filled season in the teams history.

whoa, slow down there Big Fella, the things you mention have zero effect on terrible play calling - would you like a drink while we watch yet another wide receiver screen get negative yards - and unbelievably stupid 4th down decisions and fake punts. And the DC that MM chose has the Defense so hopelessly confused they give up. You should look at the Giants; they are affected by everything you mention and they were installing a new system too with new coaches. Oh, add in the fact they had not just a new HC, but a guy who has never been a HC before. And they look 100 times better than this train wreck MM has given us and you’re trying to make excuses for.

quickccc

Reaction score
You don't believe injuries and covid haven't messed up the Cowboys?

Seriously?

Exactly how was this coaching staff supposed to put in their system with no offseason, no minicamp, no QB camp, no training camp, and no preseason games? On top of that the Cowboys are in the middle of the historic worse injury filled season in the teams history.

Giants have had key injuries, limited training camp, no preseason, backup QBs, new HC too, new systems, even fired a key position coach , ...but yet they are on a multi-game winning streak.
Including upsetting Seattle on the road.

-WashF have had injuries, also had no QB camp, preseason, limited training camp,.. a new HC and system, benched their supposed franchise guy (haskins) had other key QB injury, and yet they manage their crisis to rally to the top of a weak NFC East division, en route to a mulit-game win streak,- including upsetting undefeated Steelers.

Mass Injuries are a mutha to have to get around, but combine that with horrific coaching - questionable pla calling, ..run defense issues, pass defense issues, mass confusion on defense, record setting numbers per defense,.dumb special teams decisions, continued puzzling, questionable game managing decisions by a vet HC,

..some things such as injuries you cannot avoid - but the stunning coaching operations and decision making by this current coaching staff is something very much in their control.
:confused:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
McCarthy is not going anywhere. To even consider the possibility is foolish. Jerry is grooming Moore, who isn’t ready for that. He has a veteran head coach who will let Moore run the offense. He’s not going to change that. Nolan’s future is entirely up to Big Mike. If McCarthy believes in the scheme and the calls, they will get some better players this offseason. If McCarthy is also concerned by what he’s seen, then he will make the change with Jerry’s urging.

75boyz

Reaction score
whoa, slow down there Big Fella, the things you mention have zero effect on terrible play calling - would you like a drink while we watch yet another wide receiver screen get negative yards - and unbelievably stupid 4th down decisions and fake punts. And the DC that MM chose has the Defense so hopelessly confused they give up. You should look at the Giants; they are affected by everything you mention and they were installing a new system too with new coaches. Oh, add in the fact they had not just a new HC, but a guy who has never been a HC before. And they look like 100 times better than this train wreck MM has given us and you’re trying to make excuses for.

Triple like score for you bro. Only the Cowboys had these obstacles. Judge and Stefanski seem to have adapted quite well as FIRST year head coaches. Heck, Rhule's win/loss record at Carolina is only one better than Dallas but they appear organized at the very minimum.
The big point as you said is these are first yr HC guys with no prior HC experience.
McCarthy is the one one with the ring. And to add even more irony to this whole story is the fact that during his one SB year at GB one of the huge obstacles he over came was multiple injury losses to season ending injured reserve.
He must have totally forgotten to bring that part of his coaching manual when hired.

The Dallas Excuse Makers are alive and well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Shhhh. It’s ok. It’s going to be alright. You can keep fighting it, but it’s going to end the same way.

Nobody is talking about Jason Garrett. It’s only about what bad coaching actually looks like now that you’re getting to see it. You can own it and settle down, or you can disagree and defend what we’re seeing out there. Either way, the result is the same, because no matter what you’re willing to admit, we all can see how poorly this team is coached.[/QUOTE
Amazing how much better our former coaching staff looks now.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Giants have had key injuries, limited training camp, no preseason, backup QBs, new HC too, new systems, even fired a key position coach , ...but yet they are on a multi-game winning streak.
Including upsetting Seattle on the road.

-WashF have had injuries, also had no QB camp, preseason, limited training camp,.. a new HC and system, benched their supposed franchise guy (haskins) had other key QB injury, and yet they manage their crisis to rally to the top of a weak NFC East division, en route to a mulit-game win streak,- including upsetting undefeated Steelers.

Mass Injuries are a mutha to have to get around, but combine that with horrific coaching - questionable pla calling, ..run defense issues, pass defense issues, mass confusion on defense, record setting numbers per defense,.dumb special teams decisions, continued puzzling, questionable game managing decisions by a vet HC,

..some things such as injuries you cannot avoid - but the stunning coaching operations and decision making by this current coaching staff is something very much in their control.
:confused:
The big difference is our starting QB was better than the other teams had. We also have had the worst defense for years, yet the loss of both OTs and the swing tackle, the questionable starter at Center, and now Martin.....the offense just wasn’t going to be good enough, and unlike NY, Washington, and Philly, we don’t have the defense to win a game with 17-20 points.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
JG left the cupboard bare on D. Now Mike and company have to try and build it. I get rid of Nolan ASAP to start that process.
Last time I checked Jethro and his Cheapskate Son were VP of Personnel and GM.

They knew the defense was an issue and still used our 1st pick on offense . And used our FA on used up players on defense . Total failure.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
With the team that McCarthy was handed this year, does Garrett get more than 4 or 5 wins? I say yes. But it also puts us in a bad draft position.
Of course not. Again, it's amazing how many people forget 2015. It was only five years ago.

As for McCarthy getting fired, it won't happen. Jerry isn't paying a head coach to sit at home for three years. Best to hope for is Nolan is canned and Patterson is promoted. He's already on staff and Jerry knows him.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What aggravates me about McCarthy is some of his decision making. I mean, how can you not see the play clock winding down and not call a time out before the FG attempt? Also, he rarely challenges a play. Especially on the bad spot the refs gave Elliott that should have been a first down. Even Aikman was saying he didn't know why McCarthy wasn't challenging that spot. Not sure what's going on on the sidelines!! o_O

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
If Big Mike is still a good coach then why did Green Bay fire him?

And why did he sit home for a full year before he found another job?
I’m not saying Mike is the answer or a good coach for that matter and no where in my post do I make that claim. I stated a fact that he won a SB. my point was that Mike’s failures this year does not excuse the decade of failures of Garrett.

And to answer your last question, I know with 100% certainty why MM did not coach last year. His step son was a senior in High School in Green Bay and he chose to stay in Green Bay so he could finish his senior year.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
jerry has a belief that he builded a SUPER BOWL roster and even if they were healthy guess what kind of team u meet in the playoff? other big time talent where u actually have to out scheme and out play and out smart the opponent! does this coaching staff ever show they can do that? wake up man! it goes for his boy kellen just as much!

this is very frustrating to watch!

Jerry is wrong.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I’m not saying Mike is the answer or a good coach for that matter and no where in my post do I make that claim. I stated a fact that he won a SB. my point was that Mike’s failures this year does not excuse the decade of failures of Garrett.

And to answer your last question, I know with 100% certainty why MM did not coach last year. His step son was a senior in High School in Green Bay and he chose to stay in Green Bay so he could finish his senior year.

I don’t disagree. I’m not saying that Garrett is a great coach.

I just expected a lot more from Big Mike and am disappointed with him.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
If Washington lost 3 starters on their DL, like Dallas has on OL they wouldn’t be where they are.

Alex Smith actually already was the best QB on their roster, they just didn’t know if he’d ever be healthy again.

The Giants had some talent on defense already and it has stayed healthy I believe. Losing Saquon is tough but they aren’t winning because of offense.

Dallas was built to outscore teams. Washington and the Giants were built for this year to win with defense. They’ve maintained most of their parts they came in the year with. Dallas lost its whole identity. So yes the Cowboys have had many more obstacles than other teams.

Cmac

Reaction score
MM isn't a college coach testing the NFL waters for the first time. He checked the box for being a "yes" coach, apparently. He don't even get mad at some of the ##$# we see, with effort, discipline, or drawn in the dirt plays. C'mon Man. There was a reason, MM was out of football for awhile.....and only some get an opportunity for second or more chances, while some good coaches never get another opportunity. Kellen Moore will the next HC.....and that will be worse.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Neither can the new "coaching staff" at Washington, Carolina & NY (Giants)! Out of all 5 teams with new coaching, only Cleveland has accomplished a decent season. Nevet thought I'd type that lol.