This is a big, big game

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1123872 said:
I don't think the 2nd half and what could have hapened can be accurately predicted, speculated, or guaranteed. Maybe Bledsoe would have come out firing and we win. Maybe he'd come out sputtering and we'd lose worse. No one knows and saying it was written in stone what would happen is completely illogical.

Romo is our QB. I think we'll play better. That doesn't mean he played well on Monday night. He has nothing to brag about and to his credit he didn't brag. Parcells said he needs to improve. Why would he need to improve if he played wlel enough?

That has been my point since Monday night and all the revisionist History in the world isn't going to change that.

I dont see how anyone in their right mind can say he doesnt need to play batter or improve after what we saw Monday

that said, I just think it was a decent debut...he moved the team, put some points on the board, showed he has some upside and assuming he improves with playing time he might be what we need at QB...my biggest questions with him all along were 1) coming from the level of play that he did 2) arm strength and 3) decision making...I think he has shown that #1 isnt an issue anymore...on #2 he doesnt have a cannon, but he has a decent arm and can certainly make most of the throws he needs to make...that leaves #3, and he has to improve in that area

David

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
MTRS-Jon;1123599 said:
I appreciate the optimism of the Romo fans and I certainly hope that he succeeds, but I am curious as to the source of this optimism. What have you seen in the preseason and the one-half against the Giants, (where he wasn't that good) that gives fuel for this optimism?

Surely, it can’t just be because he is more mobile than Bledsoe. While I think he has some potential, we just haven’t seen enough of him to warrant the rampart love being shown for him on this board. I fully support the idea of being behind him and hoping that he succeeds, but it is awfully early to be making your super bowl travel plans.

Jon

Here in lies my source of optimism.

First and foremost, Bledsoe is done. Nice guy, had a helluva 2005. But this years he just doesn'thave it.
Romo's overall performance Monday nite was unacceptable. We'd win 1 in 10 games with that performance.
The optimisim is within the game. He made plays! Moved the team. Lead them on scoring drives. Within that excellent performance was 4 bad plays. That number must be cut in half. I think it will be.

The other side of this is he could have come in and failed miserably with only one interception. He could have showed little to no playmaking ability. No ability to feel and avoid the rush. No ability to scan the field for multiple options. Little to no ability to throw pinpoint accurate passes. In short the game could have looked bigger than him. He could have been a liability.
Oh wait. I just realized we had that the first 30 minutes of the game!

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra;1123555 said:
Pardon the optimism, but I expect Tony to play much more effectively than a 'rookie' qb.

He's said himself his four years of learning the offense put him at a greater advantage than if he had had to play in year one or two.

He hasn't got much beyond preseason game experience, but in familiarity with personnel, scheme, and the playbook, not to mention understanding of defenses he's seen live from the sidelines and on tape since 03, I expect something more savvy than typical rookie play.

Yeah that Kareem Abdul Jabar hook shot pass to Barber was just lovely. If Barber had been a basketball goal that would of been 2 points. But it almost cost us 6.

My point is he is still green when it comes to playing in a actual game and it showed the other night. Carolina will try and exploit this and I hope he is up for the challenge.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1123882 said:
I dont see how anyone in their right mind can say he doesnt need to play batter or improve after what we saw Monday

that said, I just think it was a decent debut...he moved the team, put some points on the board, showed he has some upside and assuming he improves with playing time he might be what we need at QB...my biggest questions with him all along were 1) coming from the level of play that he did 2) arm strength and 3) decision making...I think he has shown that #1 isnt an issue anymore...on #2 he doesnt have a cannon, but he has a decent arm and can certainly make most of the throws he needs to make...that leaves #3, and he has to improve in that area

David
Bledsoe has that same foible and in 14 years hasn't done it. Maybe Romo can, I certainly hope so. I saw nothing Monday night that left me all that hopeful he can.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1123917 said:
Bledsoe has that same foible and in 14 years hasn't done it. Maybe Romo can, I certainly hope so. I saw nothing Monday night that left me all that hopeful he can.

it was one half of football Hos....I think everyone would agree he needs more PT than that to pass a real judgement

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1123918 said:
it was one half of football Hos....I think everyone would agree he needs more PT than that to pass a real judgement

David
You're not reading what I'm saying Dave. I passed no judgment on him. I said he did not play good. Period. That isn't a judgment. The post you just quoted was about fixing or overcoming bad decisions. I mentioned Bledsoe as an example that it isn't a given that a QB can do that. No judgment there, just an observation and dead on right at that.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
playmakers;1122902 said:
If we win tomorrow we should win the following two weeks against the Commanders and Cards. That's 6-3 and looking not too bad. One game at a time, but the importance of tomorrow's game is immense. Just remember the year the Steelers played us in the Superbowl[95], they started out 3-4 and went on to the superbowl.

I think, man up, Henry could cover Keyshawn. I would give him no saftey help. Then we double Smith with Newman shadowing him. That would be my game plan verses the Panthers because their running game doesn't scare me.

I said 6-3 was reachable and almost got lynched. I still think this game if the barometer for the following 2. If we win this one we very well could return home 6-3.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1123925 said:
I said 6-3 was reachable and almost got lynched. I still think this game if the barometer for the following 2. If we win this one we very well could return home 6-3.
I read the 1st page of that thread you linked and saw nothing remotely resembling a lynching. You need thicker skin.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1123922 said:
You're not reading what I'm saying Dave. I passed no judgment on him. I said he did not play good. Period. That isn't a judgment. The post you just quoted was about fixing or overcoming bad decisions. I mentioned Bledsoe as an example that it isn't a given that a QB can do that. No judgment there, just an observation and dead on right at that.

well this is what you posted:

"I saw nothing Monday night that left me all that hopeful he can"

makes it sound like you think he never will...and he might not, but it was only one half of football...if he is still doing the same kinds of things around Thanksgiving, I could see the concern...but it was one half...pretty sure I could coem up with a list of really good QB's who didnt fare so well (or even have numbers like Romo's) in their earliest starts or debuts as well...

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1123930 said:
well this is what you posted:

"I saw nothing Monday night that left me all that hopeful he can"

makes it sound like you think he never will...and he might not, but it was only one half of football...if he is still doing the same kinds of things around Thanksgiving, I could see the concern...but it was one half...pretty sure I could coem up with a list of really good QB's who didnt fare so well (or even have numbers like Romo's) in their earliest starts or debuts as well...

David
Holy Moses. I expect some people to not be able to comprehend, but not you. Monday night. Monday night. Monday night! That isn't the entire season for crying out loud. He has to play better than that. Nothing on Monday night had me on the edge of my seat and waving or cheering. Why is that so friggin' hard to comprehend?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1123932 said:
Holy Moses. I expect some people to not be able to comprehend, but not you. Monday night. Monday night. Monday night! That isn't the entire season for crying out loud. He has to play better than that. Nothing on Monday night had me on the edge of my seat and waving or cheering. Why is that so friggin' hard to comprehend?

ok, just going by what you posted Hos

I dont think he lit it up either by any sense of the imagination, but I thought when compared to what we've seen from Bledsoe this yr, that he can possibly be an improvement

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1123933 said:
ok, just going by what you posted Hos

I dont think he lit it up either by any sense of the imagination, but I thought when compared to what we've seen from Bledsoe this yr, that he can possibly be an improvement

David
And please someone talk to me without bringing up Bledsoe for crying out loud.

Let's stick with the subject.

It's like the whole forum stepped into a fog. :blind:

When have I ever excused poor play? Can you name one time? Why would I start now and give this kid a free pass? What because he's not Drew Bledsoe?

Whoop dee freaking doo.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Hostile;1123927 said:
I read the 1st page of that thread you linked and saw nothing remotely resembling a lynching. You need thicker skin.

What would a board be without drama? :eek::

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1123952 said:
What would a board be without drama? :eek::
Vanilla.

But there was still nothing resembling a lynching that I saw. I guess it's a lynching if everyone doesn't say "right on man, tell 'em."

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Hostile;1123970 said:
Vanilla.

But there was still nothing resembling a lynching that I saw. I guess it's a lynching if everyone doesn't say "right on man, tell 'em."

True. I guess you can chalk that up to strawberry & chocolate to add to the vanilla.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This board is very antsy tonight. Kickoff (and the ensuing recriminations) can't come soon enough.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
sonnyboy;1123894 said:
Here in lies my source of optimism.
sonnyboy;1123894 said:

First and foremost, Bledsoe is done. Nice guy, had a helluva 2005. But this years he just doesn'thave it.
Romo's overall performance Monday nite was unacceptable. We'd win 1 in 10 games with that performance.
The optimisim is within the game. He made plays! Moved the team. Lead them on scoring drives. Within that excellent performance was 4 bad plays. That number must be cut in half. I think it will be.

The other side of this is he could have come in and failed miserably with only one interception. He could have showed little to no playmaking ability. No ability to feel and avoid the rush. No ability to scan the field for multiple options. Little to no ability to throw pinpoint accurate passes. In short the game could have looked bigger than him. He could have been a liability.
Oh wait. I just realized we had that the first 30 minutes of the game!

I agree with your assessment completely. What I don’t understand are the people who are ready to crown him the second coming of Tom Brady when all they have to draw from is one half of poorly played football with a few glimpses of talent.

My thought is that most fans are so fed up with the QB carousel that has plagued this team since Aikman left that any new "young" blood is enough to get excited about. While I think that it is well and good to pull for your team, the blind belief and utter relief is somewhat premature IMO. I sincerely hope that Romo has what it takes, and that he can be the future of this franchise, but surely everyone has to realize that the odds of that happening are not that good.

Before anyone accuses me of riding Bledsoe's jock, I didn't think that he should have been pulled while I was watching the game. I do think that it turned out to be a good decision, and I am anxious to see what Romo has against a decent Panther defense with a QB that doesn’t need the tight end staying in to block on every down. Without a doubt, he is far more mobile than Bledsoe has, but I am not certain his pocket presence is superior. Drew knew where the rush was coming from, he just didn't get out of the way, Romo will, in time, learn how to recognize the pressure and step out better than he did on Monday.

I want to see how Romo responds to a defense that has spent the week preparing for him. I expect a ton of stunts and blitz package disguises as the Panthers try to confuse him. It will be how he reads this defense will go a long way to telling all of us how close he is to being ready to play at this level.

I tip my hat to Romo and wish him the best. At the same time, I also tip my hat to Bledsoe, and thank him for 2005, and for what he tried to do for us as fans. We knew when we got Bledsoe what the rap was on him, and we got pretty much what most expected. I will freely admit that I am very disappointed with his play this year, I was one of his strongest supporters, but the time for a change has come.

Jon

TurtleTurds

Reaction score
the cowboys need to win,cause we need to take advantge if the giants and eagles lose tomorow
: )

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Cowchips;1123479 said:
That is a good point. You have to hang the Giants loss on Romo. They were effectively tied at the 1/2 and Romo handed them 14 points to lose the game by turning it over 2 times for scores.

He might get better but I think personally that we are going to find out why he was an undrafted free agent.

Even Tom Brady was at least a 6th round pick. Picking someone up off the scrap heap and expecting he will be a starting NFL qb? Doubtful, highly doubtful.

There is a very good chance the Bledsoe will be in by 1/2 time and this is Parcells way of shutting the Romo-Homo's up once and for all.

Dude, give it a rest....your Boy Bledslow is done and your hero will NOT be playing in the 2nd half:lmao: :lmao: