This is a big, big game

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1123681 said:
so our QB's attitude is coined from a nasty drink?

that's disconcerting

But a nasty tasting drink originally marketed as a cure for what 50cents thinks ails most of the team. :)

Old moxie cans with Ted Williams on them are collectors items up here. Worth a pretty penny.

It does look like one of those cases where a product's real or imagined attributes led to the creation of an English language adjective.

There are many word creation processes, but this one, coinage, is relatively rare. The most common cases are words like Kleenex and Zerox, with the product so dominating the market that people associate the product name with any tissue or copying machine (it's the Marketing Hall of Fame and untold riches if you coin so popular a produce name).

But Kleenex and Zerox still just name things...they have not crossed a lexical category to become adjectives with strong semantic connotation.

This bodes well for Romo, I tell you. :lmao2:

superpunk

Reaction score
Undoubtedly, in short order - "He's showing some real 'Romo' out there" will become firmly entrenched in our dialect.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
superpunk;1123698 said:
Undoubtedly, in short order - "He's showing some real 'Romo' out there" will become firmly entrenched in our dialect.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yep...get your RomoCorn ready!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
superpunk;1123698 said:

I predict it will take about five years for "Romo" to become an adjective OR verb OR common noun (nationally) if 1)Tony plays very well, gets himself a ring, and demonstrates some unique attribute associated with spunkiness in his game.

Another twenty years (if the usage continues) in which "Romo' will be considered "slang" .

And another 100 before the OED lets it 'in'. :rolleyes:

We can get this Romo linguistic bandwagon going by dropping the word on forums, blogs, and in face to face conversation.

Example..if another athlete executes a play with particular spunkiness, we can say "he romoed it" (v)..think an incredible golf shot deliberately bounced off a tree to the hole, or a three pointer basket from the outer perimeters with half a second left.

"That was a romo move" (adj), "what a romo he could be" (n), all are possible with consistency of usage and the help of the world wide web. The net changes everything - regional usage can become international in a very short time.

The closest any athlete's name has come to being coined is Jordan..but inconsistent use stalled the process. "Lebron" might have a shot if that guy's game develops along special lines.

Of course, "TO" holds the best chances of both coinage and semantic broadening.

superpunk

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra;1123715 said:
I predict it will take about five years for "Romo" to become an adjective OR verb OR common noun (nationally) if 1)Tony plays very well, gets himself a ring, and demonstrates some unique attribute associated with spunkiness in his game.

Another twenty years (if the usage continues) in which "Romo' will be considered "slang" .

And another 100 before the OED lets it 'in'. :rolleyes:

We can get this Romo linguistic bandwagon going by dropping the word on forums, blogs, and in face to face conversation.

Example..if another athlete executes a play with particular spunkiness, we can say "he romoed it" (v)..think an incredible golf shot deliberately bounced off a tree to the hole, or a three pointer basket from the outer perimeters with half a second left.

"That was a romo move" (adj), "what a romo he could be" (n), all are possible with consistency of usage and the help of the world wide web. The net changes everything - regional usage can become international in a very short time.

The closest any athlete's name has come to being coined is Jordan..but inconsistent use stalled the process. "Lebron" might have a shot if that guy's game develops along special lines.

Of course, "TO" holds the best chances of both coinage and semantic broadening.

Brilliant idea. I can't wait til our annual Thanksgiving day game when I can tell the overweight guys on the line that "I'm gonna need a little more Romo out of them if I'm ever going to complete a pass." Then, my receivers could come back and say "damn, you really Romoed that in there."

To athletes who have names that are verbs or adjectives.....

Favre-ian.

Keyshawned.

That's all I got for now.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
superpunk;1123717 said:
Favre-ian.

This one underwent a process called pejoration. Meaning, a formerly positive meaning became decidedly less agreeable.
(Example, the word '*****' once referred (in Middle English) to a lover of either gender, no monetary exchange involved).

Favre's gone from a king to a dog, so pejoration applies.

Keyshawned.

This word developed in the opposite fashion..amelioration.

From the "Just Give Me the Damn Ball" rookie book, thru the Chrebet jealousy thru the Gruden War....synonymous with ungrateful, bombastic, over self-rating boasting.

Now the verb has also come to mean studly execution of the more physical kind. (hopefully the word pejorates again tomorrow).

Ain't language grand? :laugh2:

superpunk

Reaction score
October 28, 2006

pejoration and amelioration make their first appearance on a football forum.

Soak that glory up, LTN.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
superpunk;1123729 said:
October 28, 2006

pejoration and amelioration make their first appearance on a football forum.

Soak that glory up, LTN.

:)
I'm jumping on the wagon, all right.

Wagon.gif

dallasfan31

Reaction score
we going be ok ever with a lose we going make the playoffs. skins and cards the next 2 games we should win i think we can beat the panthers too but we cant turn the ball over.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1123616 said:
http://img80.*************/img80/3471/funnysig3fg2.png

Damn you summer. I was going to take that image and photoshop Romo's head and Parcell's in the backround, but you beat me to it. Maybe even put a cheerleader or that stupid mascot in there where the cat is. Well done.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
Hostile;1123735 said:
Oh, this thread got good.

:lmao:

A real "linguistic" adventure... Somebody left the back door open and Miriam Webster walked in, shut it quick before Prentice Hall follows him in..LOL

:lmao2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1123488 said:
I disagree. 3 picks, 2 sacks taken, and one pass that was so bad I screamed. In one half of football. That isn't good. On top of this we went from 5 down to 14 down. Not even in my wildest fits of hyperbole can I call that good.

our OL is going to give up sacks, not much we can do for that

he threw 3 picks...again, two were really bad decisions on his part, hopefully he can learn to eat the ball or throw it away on those types of plays...the 3rd was just a poor pass...

and the defense is just as much to blame from going from 5 to 14 down...they were pretty much terrible and offered almost no resistance at all to start the 2nd half

david

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1123515 said:
I have bad news for you. Romo is the one that blew the big game last monday night. .

I guess I only imagined our glass jaw defense offering up almost no resistance in the 2nd half then

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
superpunk;1123543 said:
We were losing by 5, we end up losing by 14.

If he were a pitcher, he wouldn't get the L, but that's some shady solace - as he didn't lose it, but he squashed any chance his team had.

see, this is pure speculation on your part

how do you know Bledsoe wouldnt have fared even worse in the 2nd half? and I guarantee you he'd have absorbed alot more hits and sacks than Romo did in the 2nd half...as poorly as Bledsoe has been throwing the ball this yr, its entirely possibly he'd have thrown as many picks and had even less success than Romo did...we might not have even scored in the 2nd half

David

Undisputed

Reaction score
I put the loss on both quarterbacks. It's simple. Both played one half. Both had the same amount of time to score more points than the other team. Both failed.

The difference is that one MAY have a future with this team. The other simply had nothing left to give on the field. At least not as far as our team goes. Sadly...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1123856 said:
see, this is pure speculation on your part

how do you know Bledsoe wouldnt have fared even worse in the 2nd half? and I guarantee you he'd have absorbed alot more hits and sacks than Romo did in the 2nd half...as poorly as Bledsoe has been throwing the ball this yr, its entirely possibly he'd have thrown as many picks and had even less success than Romo did...we might not have even scored in the 2nd half

David
I don't think the 2nd half and what could have hapened can be accurately predicted, speculated, or guaranteed. Maybe Bledsoe would have come out firing and we win. Maybe he'd come out sputtering and we'd lose worse. No one knows and saying it was written in stone what would happen is completely illogical.

Romo is our QB. I think we'll play better. That doesn't mean he played well on Monday night. He has nothing to brag about and to his credit he didn't brag. Parcells said he needs to improve. Why would he need to improve if he played wlel enough?

That has been my point since Monday night and all the revisionist History in the world isn't going to change that.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Hostile;1123872 said:
I don't think the 2nd half and what could have hapened can be accurately predicted, speculated, or guaranteed. Maybe Bledsoe would have come out firing and we win. Maybe he'd come out sputtering and we'd lose worse. No one knows and saying it was written in stone what would happen is completely illogical.

Romo is our QB. I think we'll play better. That doesn't mean he played well on Monday night. He has nothing to brag about and to his credit he didn't brag. Parcells said he needs to improve. Why would he need to improve if he played wlel enough?

That has been my point since Monday night and all the revisionist History in the world isn't going to change that.
:hammer: