This is why Staubach is revered around here

1942willys

Reaction score
Staubach is my favorite player all time. Only jersey I have hanging on my wall of fame but he did take over a SB caliber team.

The closet thing he had to a team starting from scratch or rebuilding was 1975 which 74 was our only season missing the playoffs in our 20 consecutive winning seasons.

But we did add the famous Dirty Dozen draft picks and rebounded to a SB. The first Wild Card team to make a SB. And that was probably one of Rogers greatest seasons where had to take over some games.

It was also aided by one of the most iconic plays in his and Cowboys history. The Hail Mary which without we wouldn't have advanced in playoffs and into SB.

I’ll always believe he was our greatest QB but he benefitted from taking over a SB caliber team which went to 4 consecutive conference championships and 7 total in a decade including 5 SB’s.
OF course he benefited from a great team management and a HOF coach
So what is your point?

Now if you want to talk talented players that got a raw deal Archie Manning is right up there

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And great QBs make players around them better….thats also not hard to understand.
Great blocking, route running and not dropping balls make a QB better. A defense that can stop someone and not put added pressure to the offense also makes a QB better. not to mention an adequate running game. Conprende? Try it on your Madden game.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One must remember Ranching is a Jerry Homer and thus any possible criticism of the current boys will always get a petty reaction
Not a homer, I just don't like ignorance....fans thinking that they know more from watching a game on TV. How stupid is that.....the funny part is that you guys really believe it.
:laugh: :facepalm::laugh:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Agree with you buddy.
QBs took serious punishment back ln the 70s.
Hell, even the 80s were no joke. Ref was right there and was like, "he's fine." Lol.

86-Burt-Montana-MP4-R.gif

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Wins is a team stat....fine. But isnt it amazing how GREAT QBs and wins are so closely correlated.

A little bit of circular logic.

Great QBs seen as Great because of team wins. If you consider one great because of the other, of course they will be correlated.
The greatest QBs also correlate to very good/great teams.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hell, even the 80s were no joke. Ref was right there and was like, "he's fine." Lol.

86-Burt-Montana-MP4-R.gif
Yep, Ref is there saying : Shake it off buddy !
Feel bad for the older players suffering Concussion side effect because of the head shots that were legal back in the day.

Cmac

Reaction score
No disrespect to Aikman because he will always be the man, but Captain Comeback is the ONLY QB in our team’s history where no matter the opponent, no matter regular season or playoffs, you always knew you had a shot if he was your QB.

You got any more like him, Naval Academy?
True.....but he had a list of HOF or HOF type players accompany him on those journeys. Let's not dismiss any of that for the other QBs on that list too.

nobody

Reaction score
Great blocking, route running and not dropping balls make a QB better. A defense that can stop someone and not put added pressure to the offense also makes a QB better. not to mention an adequate running game. Conprende? Try it on your Madden game.
Good points! Conversely, a QB has to hold up his side of the bargain too (and help his team score more than zero points in the first 18 minutes in the playoffs to help the defense too. Not stare down receivers, panic, throw interceptions, take a critical sack when throwing the ball away would have let them try for a field goal.) it's all symbiotic and they're all linked.

Nobody helped anyone out this past game. I have to wonder if even Aikman or Staubach could have turned things around given the team's performance.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Youtube Turkey Jones pile drive Terry Bradshaw into the ground. No flag.
That was before my time, but I just ran to YouTube and watched it. Dayum!!! If I didn't know any better, I would have thought Bradshaw was dead. lol

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good points! Conversely, a QB has to hold up his side of the bargain too (and help his team score more than zero points in the first 18 minutes in the playoffs to help the defense too. Not stare down receivers, panic, throw interceptions, take a critical sack when throwing the ball away would have let them try for a field goal.) it's all symbiotic and they're all linked.

Nobody helped anyone out this past game. I have to wonder if even Aikman or Staubach could have turned things around given the team's performance.
That's very true....I know Dak sucked, but fans that solely blame him are either haters, ignorant or trolling. Anyone that knows a bit of football knows that our defensive gameplan and running game were pathetic as well.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yep, Ref is there saying : Shake it off buddy !
Feel bad for the older players suffering Concussion side effect because of the head shots that were legal back in the day.
Yeah, so I can understand wanting to protect guys from having crippling injuries down the line. That play today would be a penalty for hitting a QB in a defenseless posture due to winding up to pass.