This is why Staubach is revered around here

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
He’s revered because he’s the greatest QB in team history. I’d still put Larry Allen and Bob Lilly ahead of him as greatest players to ever wear the uniform. But Roger is #3.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yeah, so I can understand wanting to protect guys from having crippling injuries down the line. That play today would be a penalty for hitting a QB in a defenseless posture due to winding up to pass.
Yep, its a fine line between protecting the players and just letting them play football.
Football is a very physical game.

nobody

Reaction score
That's very true....I know Dak sucked, but fans that solely blame him are either haters, ignorant or trolling. Anyone that knows a bit of football knows that our defensive gameplan and running game were pathetic as well.
I agree completely. It wasn't all on Dak and those putting it all on him seem to have an agenda because there was plenty wrong with most of the team including coaching.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman played in a tougher era.
Why? Because players were bigger and stronger? Wasn't Aikman also one of those players that was bigger and stronger?

Staubach didn't have any advantage - he fit into his era just like Aikman fit into his.

And, by the way, Aikman's era was when the rules started changing to give QB's an advantage and protections. Those weren't in place in the 1970's

1942willys

Reaction score
Not a homer, I just don't like ignorance....fans thinking that they know more from watching a game on TV. How stupid is that.....the funny part is that you guys really believe it.
:laugh: :facepalm::laugh:
Considering how much water you carry for the ignorance of the front office that statement is hilarious
Results are facts which you hide from

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Every era has better physical talent; most of the starters in the 90's would not make a roster today
But you are a fool if you think anyone agrees with your tougher claim
When you can get splattered like they could in the 70's, NO ONE is tougher
Tougher as in competition not tougher as in….physicality….

75boyz

Reaction score
Roger is why I watch football.

But fans who are old enough to have witnessed both the 70s and 90s good years will have a certain perspective.
The fans who only saw the 90s team success will see it differently.

The fans not old enough to have experienced either the 70s or 90s teams will have an entirely different mindset altogether.

Opinions vary.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

But fans who are old enough to have witnessed both the 70s and 90s good years will have a certain perspective.

The fans not old enough to have experienced either the 70s or 90s teams will have an entirely different mindset altogether.

Opinions vary.
yep, they have never seen a real QB and the real NFL, with few rules.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Move the goal posts much? You talked out your rear end and got called on it. Have you ever met a thread you didnt feel the need try and derail?
I didn’t move anything. You assumed I was talking about physical play. I said it was tougher. If I wanted to say Aikman played in a more physical era I would’ve said it. Me saying this shouldn’t trigger you or anyone. Me disagreeing with you shouldn’t “derail” a thread lol. You’re the only one who has an issue with what I said.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Not really....look at Marino and Dilfer. One of them won a SB and the other didn't, but he's in the HOF.
Dilfer won because he happened to just have one of the all-time defenses. He was not a great QB, but he was a top draft choice; it's not like he didn't have talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why? Because players were bigger and stronger? Wasn't Aikman also one of those players that was bigger and stronger?

Staubach didn't have any advantage - he fit into his era just like Aikman fit into his.

And, by the way, Aikman's era was when the rules started changing to give QB's an advantage and protections. Those weren't in place in the 1970's
I feel the competition in the 90s was better than in the 70s. When you see list of the greatest players all time most of that list will be from guys on the 90s.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
No disrespect to Aikman because he will always be the man, but Captain Comeback is the ONLY QB in our team’s history where no matter the opponent, no matter regular season or playoffs, you always knew you had a shot if he was your QB.

You got any more like him, Naval Academy?

Most not all but it has always been Captain Comeback and Troy and then you could start your fight for third place on down.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Considering how much water you carry for the ignorance of the front office that statement is hilarious
Results are facts which you hide from
Wag, Wah! Keep crying if it makes you feel better......I don't get you fans that hate the team so much but still hang around and let it consume you. LOL! It's so sad but hilarious at the same time!
:laugh: :lmao: :laugh:
Yes, I'm laughing at you.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
No disrespect to Aikman because he will always be the man, but Captain Comeback is the ONLY QB in our team’s history where no matter the opponent, no matter regular season or playoffs, you always knew you had a shot if he was your QB.

You got any more like him, Naval Academy?
sad how both 8 and 12 lost their two post season games (for 8 was last 3 1996 1998 1999)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wins is a team stat....fine. But isnt it amazing how GREAT QBs and wins are so closely correlated.

Here’s some perspective:
  • The Cowboys have 36 all time playoff wins.
  • Roger (13), Troy (11) and Danny White (5) were the QB in 29 of those 36 wins. That’s 80% of our playoff wins.
  • Tom Landry won 20 playoff games in 20 seasons between their first ever playoff game in 1966 and last playoff game he coached in 1985.
  • The Cowboys won 12 playoff games in the 90s.
  • So even more perspective: The Cowboys won 32 playoff games in 31 years: 1966-1996.
  • The Cowboys have won 4 playoff games in the last 28 years.
So 32 playoff wins in 31 seasons. Then 4 playoff wins the last 28 seasons. Wow. Wonder who is responsible for that stat?

morat1959

Reaction score

Opinions vary.
Back when it was more than just a participation trophy for just wearing the star!