This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

kskboys

Reaction score
Not to get into economic policy and the fundamentals of free market capitalism, but if one person has the ability, skills, knowledge, or whatever else you want to call it to make exponentially more money than the average person, is that considered greed???

Dak wanting $60 million a year instead of $40 million a year.............is that considered greed?

Taylor Swift charging $500 for tickets to her concerts instead of $10.................is that considered greed?

Dwayne Johnson demanding $50 million to be in the next Fast and Furious instead of $10 million..............is that considered greed?

Keep in mind all of these individuals have already earned hundreds of millions of dollars already, vastly more than 99.9% of the average population will ever see in their entire lifetimes, but they still demand more for their services. Are they greedy???
Do Dwayne and Taylor keep my Cowboys from the super bowl by demanding more money?

No one cares about Dak's personal finances. I don't care if he makes 1 mil/year or 100mil/year. I am a Cowboys fan, so I care about what makes them win or fail. That is the only vein in which I care about player salaries. And that is how the majority feel.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Do Dwayne and Taylor keep my Cowboys from the super bowl by demanding more money?

No one cares about Dak's personal finances. I don't care if he makes 1 mil/year or 100mil/year. I am a Cowboys fan, so I care about what makes them win or fail. That is the only vein in which I care about player salaries. And that is how the majority feel.
The arguments about being jealous of money players make or if they are greedy or not are red herring arguments meant to distract from the fact that contracts do have a big impact on a team's ability to field a SB team, and that you might have to let some favorite players go if their demands are too detrimental to building that SB team.

kskboys

Reaction score
The arguments about being jealous of money players make or if they are greedy or not are red herring arguments meant to distract from the fact that contracts do have a big impact on a team's ability to field a SB team, and that you might have to let some favorite players go if their demands are too detrimental to building that SB team.
And the players' attitude when faced w/ the question of their salary keeping the team from contention is: "Well, pay me and build a super bowl contender anyway."

It's a dream world w/ no reality. You simply cannot pay everyone at the top of the market and contend. Philly is in the process of finding that out after having to release 4 Defensive starters and their starting ORG to pay Hurts and AJ and Devonta. Tore their team apart.

DAL1180

Reaction score
It's funny that guys like you complain when these guys put their health and life on the line and you love to watch them.
Guy like
It's funny that guys like you complain when these guys put their health and life on the line and you love to watch them.
And it's funny that guys like you can't acknowledge that I'm making a valid point. How many in-season interviews do these players lead off with "well I was so worried about my health today"? The only time it comes up is when they ate in a contract year. To get more money or to sway public opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
you wouldnt low ball Mahomes, though...if a real GM.

which GM wants to show Lamb or Parsons the door.

90% of the money has to be spent. you spend it on good players...not average joe's
Didn't have to lowball him. He was smart enough and man enough to sign a contract for 10 years so the Chiefs could manipulate it into super bowl.

And low ball isn't really the term to use. There is a wide disparity as to the amount a player should make. If a player thinks he's worth 35 mil, but the team thinks his value is more around 28 mil, offering him 28 mil is not lowballing him. Silly stuff.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
They have the ability to keep the players they want.....Lamb is going NOWHERE. The salary cap means you cant just pay people what THEY want. Contracts have to be reasonable... like most players. You and I have no clue the dollar amounts that have been offered. We have no idea why Lamb and Dak havent signed. ALL of your conclusions are mere speculation.

Maybe Jerry is getting his financial affairs in order. Maybe in their mind the players are simply not worth the money they are demanding. A contract is a meeting of the minds. It is an agreement between the parties involved. Jerry clearly sees things different than the player. Let these players that are UNDER CONTRACT keep holding out like this.... watch what happens in the next contract. Watch the penalties get even stiffer. Id love to see teams say.... you arent living up to your contract. You get have of your agreed to salary from here on out. ahhh, but teams dont break contracts, only players do.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They have the ability to keep the players they want.....Lamb is going NOWHERE. The salary cap means you cant just pay people what THEY want. Contracts have to be reasonable... like most players. You and I have no clue the dollar amounts that have been offered. We have no idea why Lamb and Dak havent signed. ALL of your conclusions are mere speculation.

Maybe Jerry is getting his financial affairs in order. Maybe in their mind the players are simply not worth the money they are demanding. A contract is a meeting of the minds. It is an agreement between the parties involved. Jerry clearly sees things different than the player. Let these players that are UNDER CONTRACT keep holding out like this.... watch what happens in the next contract. Watch the penalties get even stiffer. Id love to see teams say.... you arent living up to your contract. You get have of your agreed to salary from here on out. ahhh, but teams dont break contracts, only players do.
100 :hammer: :popcorn:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
:hammer:

A lot of posters on this site apparently do not understand the number one rule of asset management..............."The value of an asset is soley determined by what somebody is willing to pay for said asset"

Dak's market value is soley determined by what even one single team is willing to pay him on the open market, that is simply a fact. People may not like that, but facts dont have feelings.
Exactly. This is what the free market represents. If I am selling a car, it's the same thing. All I need is one person to pay that price. And that is the worth. The term 'overpayed' makes no real sense when fans discuss it. It seems 90% of the signings they deem as "overpriced". Mainly because they want players to take as little as possible for their own viewing enjoyment to be able to sign as many players as can be. I think many can't separate their fandom from this sport are these player's lives and the way they make a living. Quit being naive and thinking the main goal is to win a ring. That is secondary to earning the most money in the short window they have in this violent sport. Very easy to sit back at your desk and on your couch and demeaning players from wanting to get paid the most they can. Imagine random people on the internet telling us we are overpaid and need to accept a lower salary at the expense of your family just to appease your corporate overlords.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Teams don't break contracts, ummmm what?? Players are cut all the time with years and money left on their contract. Fans don't care about this at all and actually applaud the owners for being "proactive" to get rid of players earlier rather than later and saving money is a good thing. But when the opposite happens, fans get irate. Nothing but licking boots, bowing down to these owners who have zero risk in this game. They sit in their executive offices, suites, private planes, yachts, mansions while the players put their health on the line every time they step on the field. Their careers can end on any given play, be it a game or practice. They aren't able to sit around doing nothing, collecting easy money well into their 80s. So yes, they are going to do whatever they can do earn as much as they can.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Exactly. This is what the free market represents. If I am selling a car, it's the same thing. All I need is one person to pay that price. And that is the worth. The term 'overpayed' makes no real sense when fans discuss it. It seems 90% of the signings they deem as "overpriced". Mainly because they want players to take as little as possible for their own viewing enjoyment to be able to sign as many players as can be. I think many can't separate their fandom from this sport are these player's lives and the way they make a living. Quit being naive and thinking the main goal is to win a ring. That is secondary to earning the most money in the short window they have in this violent sport. Very easy to sit back at your desk and on your couch and demeaning players from wanting to get paid the most they can. Imagine random people on the internet telling us we are overpaid and need to accept a lower salary at the expense of your family just to appease your corporate overlords.
I dont begrudge any player from trying to get as much as they can. I also wont criticize an owner for saying thanks, but no thanks.The teams must play within the confines of the salary cap, and this is what is playing out right in front of your eyes. So while you can be supportive as you want for the players, thats fine. But why do you have zero support for what the team is currently doing, which is protecting the teams ability to play within the rules of the cap? Name me a single huge contract this team has paid out in the past 15 years where Jerry wasnt called a moron? If he signs Lamb to a record deal with a no trade clause, just watch the responses in here criticizing him. Now look at the criticism he is already getting for NOT doing just that. This is actually hilarious.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Teams don't break contracts, ummmm what?? Players are cut all the time with years and money left on their contract. Fans don't care about this at all and actually applaud the owners for being "proactive" to get rid of players earlier rather than later and saving money is a good thing. But when the opposite happens, fans get irate. Nothing but licking boots, bowing down to these owners who have zero risk in this game. They sit in their executive offices, suites, private planes, yachts, mansions while the players put their health on the line every time they step on the field. Their careers can end on any given play, be it a game or practice. They aren't able to sit around doing nothing, collecting easy money well into their 80s. So yes, they are going to do whatever they can do earn as much as they can.
Let me say this again. Teams do not break contracts, EVER! You see a contract has TERMS in the contract. If either party fails to follow the terms agreed to in the contract, the other party could sue and would win. This is why we have contracts. Can I be any more clear about the FACT that teams do not break contracts, EVER! Have you ever seen an NFL player sue a team for breaking a contract?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Prescot got paid and he produced nothing in BIG Reg games or the Playoffs and now he's making statements that he wants to set the market for ALL QBs, current and future????????????????? He has said nothing about TEAM, NOTHING! Mahomes was asked about his current contract and why he hasn't demanded that it be reworked and his response was ALL ABOUT THE TEAM and not about HIM! Prescot is an overpaid, over hyped, under achieving less than mediocre slug of a QB who has to go, sooner the better. JJ should set the world on it's head and announce that both RUSH and Lance will share the QB position and that Prescot will now be the No 3 QB on the team. Prescot and his agents will go ballistic and remove the NO TRADE clause out of his contract. The rest will be history................LOL!

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I'll say it again...

Something is wrong with the set up if a player gets fined and shamed for holding out while also having to take out an insurance policy with HIGH premiums to secure his big bag.

Fine the player for holding out, make him pay an insurance premium.

Its double taxation.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Come on Jerry, sign these guys and end this thread.
If Dak were to sign then I bet you would sleep like a baby, and I bet so far at night you have nightmare's about what you will do once the loser is gone. By the way, I bet Jerry read your plea for help.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'll say it again...

Something is wrong with the set up if a player gets fined and shamed for holding out while also having to take out an insurance policy with HIGH premiums to secure his big bag.

Fine the player for holding out, make him pay an insurance premium.

Its double taxation.
what part of being UNDER CONTRACT is hard to understand. You are under contract which means you are required to show up for work. Unlike the rest f us, we dont get fined, wed be fired. I get sports are different, but fines are WHAT THE PLAYERS AGREED TO. Blame the players for agreeing to the system the teams are using. smh

plasticman

Reaction score
Why should the players care about winning when Jerry doesn't?
Because the game of football is not about Jerry Jones to them. it's about what it has always been about when playing the game.

It's about winning. It's about trying to be the best. It's about pride. They can't reach their level without it.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Obviously your post is about Dak and CeeDee so I’ll use Dak as an example since he has made more $ at this point. I’m not saying Dak shouldn’t maximize his value, because everyone else does and I sure as heck would too. But, I just read an article saying Dak has made $196.3M (I assume that is through the end of this season). So if he takes $51M per for 4 years that puts him over $400M. So I think his family will be ok if he doesn’t go for the max value of let’s say $55M to $60M, So peddle the setting up his family talk somewhere else. he is greedy. Everyone is greedy. And yes the Jones Boyz are completely incompetent as GMs including with the cap. Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
what part of being UNDER CONTRACT is hard to understand. You are under contract which means you are required to show up for work. Unlike the rest f us, we dont get fined, wed be fired. I get sports are different, but fines are WHAT THE PLAYERS AGREED TO. Blame the players for agreeing to the system the teams are using. smh
I think its a unique situation and employers understand the shoes the players are in.

Jerry should make a move, ball is in his court to fix this. No contract should force a player to risk 100M+ dollars.

I bet it would take Lamb's full 18M pay this year to buy an insurance policy for 100M.

Like...if Bland does awesome this year, I bet his current salary couldnt buy a big enough insurance policy to cover what Bland's next contract will be worth.

You are tied to 'contract' because its how you get cheap labor. Its 'theres a contract' or 'blame the NFLPA heads'....those arent good answers, dude.

You are just ok with a player losing his big pay day by pointing at contracts or NFLPA reps. Thats not good enough.

Your the guy that signs a contract to follow orders, but complains when you are told to go jump off a bridge. You dont like it do you?