Twitter: This playoff graphic will make you sad or angry

Sydla

Reaction score
I've brought this fact up multiple times here. The Cowboys, in the age of Jerry Jones as sole GM, have been closer to the bottom of the league than the top of the league.

We have not been a very good franchise over the last two decades.

CWR

Reaction score
Well we'll find out. I hope you guys are right but paying a RB who is losing his explosiveness and paying an average QB like he's a Superbowl champion is going to be hard to overcome.

We're going to have to be flawless in the draft because you know the Cowboys won't be involved in FA.

They're about to lose one of the better cover corners in football most likely.

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you. At RB I would have loved to prepare ahead of time and taken a David Montgomery or a Singletary. I love TP, but we had zero way to know if he could hold up, and Zeke put us against it in a season we expected to be special. He's still a great back, but I agree we miss that explosiveness. I still think we get decent value out of that contract for the next 2-3 years. We are built to gash opposing teams and Zeke is a mauler.

At QB Id love an upgrade, but some are far too optimistic regarding the challenge of finding a franchise QB. There are teams that haven't had a legit QB in a decade plus. The Browns just got Mayfield before that it was Kosar, Bills just got Allen, before that it was Kelly. The Dolphins, well the last QB that played well for them was Marino.

Just dont throw away Dak and his potential is all I say. Tag him and lets see what MM can do.

CWR

Reaction score
I've brought this fact up multiple times here. The Cowboys, in the age of Jerry Jones as sole GM, have been closer to the bottom of the league than the top of the league.

Yes when you are measuring actual results thats correct. We've managed to camouflage that with a ton of regular season wins and very few hopeless seasons.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Im not necessarily disagreeing with you. At RB I would have loved to prepare ahead of time and taken a David Montgomery or a Singletary. I love TP, but we had zero way to know if he could hold up, and Zeke put us against it in a season we expected to be special. He's still a great back, but I agree we miss that explosiveness. I still think we get decent value out of that contract for the next 2-3 years. We are built to gash opposing teams and Zeke is a mauler.

At QB Id love an upgrade, but some are far too optimistic regarding the challenge of finding a franchise QB. There are teams that haven't had a legit QB in a decade plus. The Browns just got Mayfield before that it was Kosar, Bills just got Allen, before that it was Kelly. The Dolphins, well the last QB that played well for them was Marino.

Just dont throw away Dak and his potential is all I say. Tag him and lets see what MM can do.

As long as Zeke is healthy I think we can somehow validate paying that kind of money to a RB but right now he is a outlier because the RB position is known for being injured and the last thing you want is your 15 mill a year player standing on the sidelines.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interceptions are so overrated for determining how good a corner is.

Sure thing. Certainly when someone is trying to talk up a cornerback that never gets any.
:rolleyes:

The fact is that when an opponent has nothing other than an incompletion to fear, they're not afraid of that cornerback. Play-making is the difference between good and great. And I have no interest in paying great money for a good cornerback.

Amazing how people want to lament a defense that doesn't create turnovers and then talk about keeping and grossly overpaying for the poster boy for not getting any.

CWR

Reaction score
As long as Zeke is healthy I think we can somehow validate paying that kind of money to a RB but right now he is a outlier because the RB position is known for being injured and the last thing you want is your 15 mill a year player standing on the sidelines.

Its funny how the talk last offseason was about Zeke being down to his college weight. Its blatantly obvious he wasnt. Someone posted his old college tape the other day and he is just a bigger man now. Its mainly muscle imo, and it has probably helped his durability, but robbed him of his break away abilities.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sure thing. Certainly when someone is trying to talk up a cornerback that never gets any.
:rolleyes:

The fact is that when an opponent has nothing other than an incompletion to fear, they're not afraid of that cornerback. Play-making is the difference between good and great. And I have no interest in paying great money for a good cornerback.

Amazing how people want to lament a defense that doesn't create turnovers and then talk about keeping and grossly overpaying for the poster boy for not getting any.

Who gets a lot of INT's? What is a lot? 3 a season?

I'd rather go into a game against the Saints knowing I can put Byron Jones on Michael Thomas and not have to worry about Brees exploiting a bad matchup then some corner who will give up a lot but possibly get 1 of his 3 or 4 INT's on the year.

CWR

Reaction score
Interceptions are so overrated for determining how good a corner is.

Especially when DBs are coached to face guard rather than turn around and make a play on the ball.

When you see a team that's dead last in INTs for a decade its fairly safe to blame coaching rather than every single DB thats passed through the doors.

I want Byron back as well. Ive seen how much better he is than our other dbs.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's almost as crazy as thinking the same clowns who have brought us a half dozen coaching changes and over 20 starting QBs since the Cowboys last title are going to magically put together a championship team.

All they need is one more coach and one more QB...that'll do the trick.

I've resigned myself to never seeing the Cowboys play in another Super Bowl for the rest of my life. It's less disappointing than clinging to false hope for decades.
Move over..I need room next to you.

I have been a blind fan since age 10.

Fell in love the first time I saw a Don Meredith bomb to Bob Hayes one summer night in 1965.

But I like you think it's all frozen in time as far as getting any further.

I am fortunate to have seen our team win with players who loved the sport and not so much the money.

Now...money money money.

Endorsement, Endorsement.

So pass the popcorn and a coke..here is $20..keep the change.

No change? We must be in ATT stadium and not the old Cotton Bowl.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Yep, what this franchise has become is beyond sad. We're basically a glamorous Cleveland Browns.

It's why I refuse to get my hopes up or get too excited about this team anymore. Nor do I let myself get upset when we lose. This is what the team is until proven otherwise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who gets a lot of INT's? What is a lot? 3 a season?

The answer is quite easy - more than 0.

I'd rather go into a game against the Saints knowing I can put Byron Jones on Michael Thomas and not have to worry about Brees exploiting a bad matchup then some corner who will give up a lot but possibly get 1 of his 3 or 4 INT's on the year.

And I'd rather not pay the poster boy for no turnovers the $14 - $15 million a year he's looking for. He's not worth anywhere near what he or his representatives will be looking for.

0 interceptions over two years isn't just bad, it's a joke.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Especially when DBs are coached to face guard rather than turn around and make a play on the ball.

When you see a team that's dead last in INTs for a decade its fairly safe to blame coaching rather than every single DB thats passed through the doors.

I want Byron back as well. Ive seen how much better he is than our other dbs.

Just make sure that you never complain about how this team never gets turnovers, you asked for it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

LOL...this may be true but we're still the prettiest girl in the room, ask the networks/ratings.

CWR

Reaction score
Just make sure that you never complain about how this team never gets turnovers, you asked for it.

Maybe my wording sucks. Yes we NEED TURNOVERs. I blame coaching and technique more than the players. Im hoping if BJ is re-signed he can pick off a few next year.

Zordon

Reaction score
It's more like whatever at this point.

I think we're all used to this.

Some of us would rather see our mediocre QB get top 5 QB money then put our team in the best position to win a championship.

We're out here paying top dollar for a RB and possibly top dollar for an average QB and expecting playoff success...
Yeah I can't believe there are fans out there that believe paying top dollar for a QB, WR, and RB are a recipe for success. Are we ever going to focus on the defense???

PUSHfold

Reaction score
It's more like whatever at this point.

I think we're all used to this.

Some of us would rather see our mediocre QB get top 5 QB money then put our team in the best position to win a championship.

We're out here paying top dollar for a RB and possibly top dollar for an average QB and expecting playoff success...

No some people would rather pay our top 10ish QB who at least gives us a chance than potentially go through 10 more years wasting all of the talent on this roster having absolutely no shot at a championship all while searching for a QB who's even as good as Dak. Dak's a top 10ish QB atm and still has plenty of room to grow. I'd be okay tagging him for one season seeing what MM can do with him but even if he gets paid 33-36m a season I won't be angry. It's what QBs cost now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe my wording sucks. Yes we NEED TURNOVERs. I blame coaching and technique more than the players. Im hoping if BJ is re-signed he can pick off a few next year.

I blame THIS player. Who hasn't produced interceptions for the entire time has been here. After 5 years, he is what he is - not a playmaker.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
At one point near the end of the 90's run, the Cowboys had played in 16 of 30 conference championships. It was really cool to be a Cowboys fan back then. Some people may look at losing in the conference finals as meaningless but being the fan of a team that was top 4 most years is a lot of fun.
Yes, it was a great run.