Thompson received a pretty healthy signing bonus for a no-name player

Verdict

Reaction score
Lenoir is making the roster barring injury or a complete collapse in performance. He's a young improving player who also happens to be a favorite of Will McClay. Thompson was signed as insurance in case the team didn't get a WR in the draft like a Gallup who could contribute immediately. I'd say at this point Thompson needs an injury or TWILL suspension to make the Week 1 53 roster.

That's possible. But they did give him a $1M signing bonus. They like his speed. They could cut him if they want to. The SB doesn't prevent that for sure.

All I am saying is the difference in keeping TWill and Thompson isnt really that different. The only difference is the dead money. But if the performance level is about the same I'm not sure that the guaranteed salary will save TWill. But I agree it is a factor in his favor.

Verdict

Reaction score
Lenoir is making the roster barring injury or a complete collapse in performance. He's a young improving player who also happens to be a favorite of Will McClay. Thompson was signed as insurance in case the team didn't get a WR in the draft like a Gallup who could contribute immediately. I'd say at this point Thompson needs an injury or TWILL suspension to make the Week 1 53 roster.

Yeah. It's looking like he might make the 53. He is outplaying TWill so far.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Team likes Terrence. They’re not going to release him.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do at WR if nobody else gets hurt. They’ve got a legitimate 7.

Brown is a legit ST player. He’s the one they probably cut though if Lenoir keeps making plays and a guy like a I can give them something on Teams.

I agree about Terrance Williams.

Having depth at WR is a good thing as it creates real competition and also protects the team in the event of a long term injury.

There has been some turnover from last season with Dez Bryant, Brice Butler and Ryan Switzer no longer on the roster. It is not, however, a full-blown youth movement as we witnessed last year at cornerback.

Deonte Thompson (29 years old) was given a $1M signing bonus as a free agent to add some speed at the position before the draft, where Dallas added Tavon Austin (28 years old) in a trade with the L.A. Rams. Cole Beasley (29 years old) and Terrance Williams (29 in Sept) are the only holdovers with regular season experience playing with Dak Prescott.

Thompson, Austin and Beasley are all scheduled to become unrestricted free agents following the season. Williams has a guaranteed $3.5M base salary this year, but he could still be offered up in a trade if another club makes a worthwhile offer. I expect he stays, but then all bets are off next year.

Allen Hurns (26/27 Nov) has a team option for 2019 and is expected to return, though he will have to earn it.

Then we have the young guys, headlined by third round rookie Michael Gallup (22). Lance Lenoir (23) is making a lot of noise while Noah Brown (22) nurses a hammy and Cedrick Wilson (23) is on the shelf for the year due to a shoulder injury.

Keeping 6 shouldn't be a problem, though I don't feel it's an absolute on a running team, and even having 7 WRs is doable.

WR
1. Cole Beasley (29) - will move around more this year instead of being typecast in the slot
2. Terrance Williams (28/29 Sept) - solid vet who will do whatever is asked of him
3. Tavon Austin (28) - brings some juice to the unit, hoping to breakout with new team
4. Allen Hurns (26/27 Nov) - solid player who needs to avoid the injury bug
5. Michael Gallup (22) - should be starting in the near future
6. Lance Lenoir (23) - doing all he can to earn that star, likely inactive for games
-
7. Noah Brown (22) - needs to get on the field and show development or hope to make it to Practice Squad
8. Deonte Thompson (29) - can still make a late push but likely needs an injury to help him
9. Cedrick Wilson (22) - IR, see you next year

Whatever happens, expect to see continued churn at this position next year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Thompson received a pretty healthy signing bonus for a now name player. I see people easily scratching him off the 53, but not TWill. Granted TWILL has a higher SB, but he seems to be a lot more of a bonehead.

I will not be surprised if Thompson makes it over TWILL. As a side note, TWill getting suspended would really help us out on the initial 53. That's why I don't think he will get suspended before the first game and the initial roster is set.
Ive been saying all along, Thompson has more of inside track to the 53 than some think.
I realize Buffalo’and Chicago’s passing games stunk last year, but even in transition, he had 555 yards.
Its gonna be a scramble fir the final spot (or two if you really think TWill is in question)

I still think the 6th spot battle is
Thompson
Lenoir
Brown
And 3-4 other long shots

The winner would not be a terrible 6th WR

superonyx

Reaction score
t.will is guilty of occasional brain fartistry, but he really isn't a bad player. I think he'll do better now that dez is gone.
I would like to think Dez being gone would someone help T Will do better........but Dez has been out injured many times and T Will produced Jack Squat without Dez.

If T Will couldn’t be a threat with Dez in his prime taking the coverage rolled to him then what’s going to change now?

That said....he will make the team.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would like to think Dez being gone would someone help T Will do better........but Dez has been out injured many times and T Will produced Jack Squat without Dez.

If T Will couldn’t be a threat with Dez in his prime taking the coverage rolled to him then what’s going to change now?

That said....he will make the team.

TWill hasn't really done much for most of his career. You do get glimpses of talent followed by long periods of nothing.

I don't think Dez being here helped TWill, but TWill also did nothing when Dez was out. Did TWill even score a touchdown last year?

How can the team just "overlook" his complete failure last year?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fully realize the difference in guaranteed salary and SB between TWill and Thompson. Based only on contract TWill would get the nod over Thompson. I get that.

But they weren't both signed this offseason. TWill was part of the underperforming group last year while Thompson was not.

The way things are shaping up it seeems as though the locks are:

Hurns
Beasley
Gallup
Austin

That leaves the following on the bubble:

Thompson
Lenoir
TWill
Anyone else who is in the mix

I don't think they will keep 7 receivers unless TWill gets suspended before the season starts (which the league doesn't seem inclined to help us with).

We will likely keep at least 5 receivers so at least one of these guys is going to make it. One of the bottom 3 isn't going to make the cut and possibly two.

I think that Williams is playing for his roster spot and I personally don't think it is as solid as you do. TWill may well play his way into keeping his spot, but I really think he is in serious danger of being cut.

They started last season with:

WR - 6
RB - 5 (including FB)
TE - 3 (technically Rico made the 53 but was moved to IR after a day in order to be eligible to return)

That is 14 total for those 3 positions (considering FB as RB).

I think 14 is the likely number this year also.

TE - 3
  • At this point Rico seems unlikely to make it. He was clearly 4th string in the PS game and he didn't play any ST snaps.

RB - 4
  • They have 3 backup RBs that somewhat similar (Big, good straight-line speed. limited "wiggle").
  • The FB is somewhat similar to the backup RBs. More runner/receiver than most FBs.
  • Zeke
  • Rod Smith
  • Bo or DJackson
  • Olawale
RB/WR (Tavon Austin) - 1
They could as discussed in the past consider Austin in the RB head count.

WR - 6
  • Based on TE/RB head count, 6 spots remain for WR.
  1. Hurns
  2. Gallup
  3. Beasley
  4. Lenoir - Great training camp, but not a size or speed guy.
  5. TWill - 3.5M guaranteed (money not yet paid)
  6. Thompson - 1M signing bonus (already paid)
  7. Noah Brown - The coaches liked him last year as a hybrid WR/TE. His blocking is elite for a WR. Has been injured during camp.

1. Lenoir - Great training camp, but not a size or speed guy.
  2. TWill - 3.5M guaranteed (money not yet paid)
  3. Thompson - 1M signing bonus (already paid)
  4. Noah Brown - The coaches liked him last year as a hybrid WR/TE. His blocking is elite for a WR. Has been injured during camp.

Reducing it down (5 from these options):
Rico (zero or 1)

RB (2 or 3 of these)
Bo
DJackson
Olawale

WR (2 or 3 these)
Lenoir
TWill
Thompson
Noah Brown

Verdict

Reaction score
They started last season with:

WR - 6
RB - 5 (including FB)
TE - 3 (technically Rico made the 53 but was moved to IR after a day in order to be eligible to return)

That is 14 total for those 3 positions (considering FB as RB).

I think 14 is the likely number this year also.

TE - 3
  • At this point Rico seems unlikely to make it. He was clearly 4th string in the PS game and he didn't play any ST snaps.

RB - 4
  • They have 3 backup RBs that somewhat similar (Big, good straight-line speed. limited "wiggle").
  • The FB is somewhat similar to the backup RBs. More runner/receiver than most FBs.
  • Zeke
  • Rod Smith
  • Bo or DJackson
  • Olawale
RB/WR (Tavon Austin) - 1
They could as discussed in the past consider Austin in the RB head count.

WR - 6
  • Based on TE/RB head count, 6 spots remain for WR.
  1. Hurns
  2. Gallup
  3. Beasley
  4. Lenoir - Great training camp, but not a size or speed guy.
  5. TWill - 3.5M guaranteed (money not yet paid)
  6. Thompson - 1M signing bonus (already paid)
  7. Noah Brown - The coaches liked him last year as a hybrid WR/TE. His blocking is elite for a WR. Has been injured during camp.
  1. Lenoir - Great training camp, but not a size or speed guy.
  2. TWill - 3.5M guaranteed (money not yet paid)
  3. Thompson - 1M signing bonus (already paid)
  4. Noah Brown - The coaches liked him last year as a hybrid WR/TE. His blocking is elite for a WR. Has been injured during camp.

Reducing it down (5 from these options):
Rico (zero or 1)

RB (2 or 3 of these)
Bo
DJackson
Olawale

WR (2 or 3 these)
Lenoir
TWill
Thompson
Noah Brown

Yeah. That's spot on.

I think Olewale makes the roster.

I agree that Rico probably doesn't make the 53. Either they are done with him, or are keeping him under the radar to maybe try to get him to the PS one more time.

I agree that Bo or Darrius make the roster, but probably not both.

Brown is an interesting player. We haven't heard much about him this season and they seemed to like his blocking ability last year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Ive been saying all along, Thompson has more of inside track to the 53 than some think.
I realize Buffalo’and Chicago’s passing games stunk last year, but even in transition, he had 555 yards.
Its gonna be a scramble fir the final spot (or two if you really think TWill is in question)

I still think the 6th spot battle is
Thompson
Lenoir
Brown
And 3-4 other long shots

The winner would not be a terrible 6th WR

Yeah. Guessing who Thompson takes the place of is anyone's guess, but I think he has a significant chance to make the 53. I think they want his speed on the roster.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. That's spot on.

I think Olewale makes the roster.

I agree that Rico probably doesn't make the 53. Either they are done with him, or are keeping him under the radar to maybe try to get him to the PS one more time.

I agree that Bo or Darrius make the roster, but probably not both.

Brown is an interesting player. We haven't heard much about him this season and they seemed to like his blocking ability last year.

They should start Rico in the preseason and design some plays to make it easy for him to look good. Then they could see if somebody would give them a 7th for him.

FB - It's odd that they even keep a FB. I guess that's why they were OK letting Keith Smith go and getting Olawale because he is more like a big RB than a traditional FB.

Rod Smith should be a better blocker than most RBs since he was originally a FB here. If he can play FB for the 2 plays per game they use one, then that could impact the design on Olawale. I agree that the probability favors them keeping Olawale, but it's not a strong probability.

AtlCPA

Reaction score
WR—Hurns, TWill, Beasley, Gallup, Thompson, Lenoir

RB—Elliott, Smith, Scarborough, Austin

TE—3
QB—3
OL—8
ST—3
LB—6
DB—10
DL—10

?
The team usually carries 25 on offense and 25 on defense. Most likely, the team carries on 9 DB’s of 9 DL’s.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I hope the team is open to trading TWill. I think Lenoir can replace him now and certainly by next year. Because of that, you have to keep him. So it either trade or cut someone who can play of keep 7 and go short somewhere else.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Did TWill steal some of your guys lunch money? 4 years 17 mil. 9.5 guaranteed is not a obscene amount of money for a wr on his second contract. He might be a bonehead I’ll give you that. But given the chance he produces.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
t.will is guilty of occasional brain fartistry, but he really isn't a bad player. I think he'll do better now that dez is gone.

I’m going to borrow brain fartistry. That provided my biggest chuckle of the day.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tavon is a WR. Don’t let drunken Jerry or Stephen tell you otherwise

They aren’t telling us otherwise. He’s listed on the depth chart as a receiver. All they ever said is he will be used some in the backfield including as a runner, which is something the Rams did with him as well.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It would be good to show the SB amount. :rolleyes:

Thompson received a 1 million dollar signing bonus.

It would "cost" 3.5M in cap and real dollars to cut TWill. He stays unless traded.

Thompson was signed as the speed WR but they traded for Austin after signing Thompson. Austin is faster.

Hurns
Gallup
Austin
Beasley
TWill

Lenoir
Thompson

Noah Brown

I believe that Austin will be listed as a RB. But he will be used as a receiver on occasions.

That will free up an a extra slot for a receiver which mostly will be Thompson.

Thompson is one of the fastest players in the NFL. Possession receivers like Hurns and TWill are a dime a dozen. Plus we need more receivers that can stretch the field.

They will keep Thompson and put Bo on the practice squad.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
TWill hasn't really done much for most of his career. You do get glimpses of talent followed by long periods of nothing.

I don't think Dez being here helped TWill, but TWill also did nothing when Dez was out. Did TWill even score a touchdown last year?

How can the team just "overlook" his complete failure last year?

For a Reciever to be making millions and not being able to score a TD is a complete failure.