RELEASED Thornton released

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys gave up fairly early on Thornton. From what I read he was having a decent camp and I was hopeful he would be a solid rotational guy. Had they replaced him with another quality player I would feel better, but don't feel we upgraded.

I thought he was injured at some point in camp.

Maybe they put him on pseudo-IR by releasing him considering he has a guaranteed salary. They could resign him at any time and he does not make any additional money by signing with another team unless they pay him more than 3M.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys gave up fairly early on Thornton. From what I read he was having a decent camp and I was hopeful he would be a solid rotational guy. Had they replaced him with another quality player I would feel better, but don't feel we upgraded.

I'd like to see references to the "decent camp" you're claiming. I read about missed time, Paea passing him by, and Thornton being pulled off of the field after the first play of a practice.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Still think he's a 1/3 and so do a lot of people. Agreed he'd play 5 only occasionally.

A year or two in the weight room and maybe. I've just seem him get put on skates by single blocking guards. It's very hard to beat the inside double teams with quickness and the way we line up with the SDE on the outside shoulder there is nowhere inside for him to go at the 1. He has two guys right on top of him uncovered.

You can combo him, truck him back to muck up the second level and the peeler can clean up easily. On passing downs sure but as a 2 down player he'll be too easy to blow up.

His technique was better outside as it was. I see him as yet another SDE/3T. He just doesn't have the size for the slant nose.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
A year or two in the weight room and maybe. I've just seem him get put on skates by single blocking guards. It's very hard to beat the inside double teams with quickness and the way we line up with the SDE on the outside shoulder there is nowhere inside for him to go at the 1. He has two guys right on top of him uncovered.

You can combo him, truck him back to muck up the second level and the peeler can clean up easily. On passing downs sure but as a 2 down player he'll be too easy to blow up.

His technique was better outside as it was. I see him as yet another SDE/3T. He just doesn't have the size for the slant nose.

Don't agree for how they play here. He's been very disruptive and the reason is we shoot the gaps most of the time. We're not holding or even shoot and hold. He's a penetrator. If he's asked to hold then he's going to have trouble, as do most 1/3 techs, with double teams. Not many DTs can hold up against a G and C without being moved.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I thought he was injured at some point in camp.

Maybe they put him on pseudo-IR by releasing him considering he has a guaranteed salary. They could resign him at any time and he does not make any additional money by signing with another team unless they pay him more than 3M.

This is a good point. From what I can remember, he seemed to be playing fine in camp as a rotational player until he got hurt. I'm not sure he ever recovered from his hamstring injury and simply was not an integral enough part of this defense for Dallas to hold on to until he was back to full health.

I'm disappointed that he was not better than he was during his time here, but the move may have more to do with needing completely healthy bodies for an interior rotation in these first few games, especially without Irving.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Don't agree for how they play here. He's been very disruptive and the reason is we shoot the gaps most of the time. We're not holding or even shoot and hold. He's a penetrator. If he's asked to hold then he's going to have trouble, as do most 1/3 techs, with double teams. Not many DTs can hold up against a G and C without being moved.

Sure but that is what you are looking for in the 1T for this defense. They are supposed to occupy two blockers so the MIKE can run free. With Neal the OG just has to stay long enough to take away the quick inside move and he can peel. Once OL get their hands on Neal it is over.

At the 3 he can win with quickness because the RDE should occupy the OT and leave him 1v1 in the B gap. In the A gap though he has nowhere to go because the SDE has to cut across the face of the OT to occupy the OG.

And plenty of DT can take a knee and sit down on a double team. Sure most may give up a yard or two in doing so but all I have seen Neal do is get dug out and driven hard.

If Paea goes down I see them calling up Ash before Neal. He sits down on double teams well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a good point. From what I can remember, he seemed to be playing fine in camp as a rotational player until he got hurt. I'm not sure he ever recovered from his hamstring injury and simply was not an integral enough part of this defense for Dallas to hold on to until he was back to full health.

I'm disappointed that he was not better than he was during his time here, but the move may have more to do with needing completely healthy bodies for an interior rotation in these first few games, especially without Irving.

If he returned to Cowboys he would get additional pay but if he signs with another team he won't unless they pay him more than the Cowboys owe him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Sure but that is what you are looking for in the 1T for this defense. They are supposed to occupy two blockers so the MIKE can run free. With Neal the OG just has to stay long enough to take away the quick inside move and he can peel. Once OL get their hands on Neal it is over.

At the 3 he can win with quickness because the RDE should occupy the OT and leave him 1v1 in the B gap. In the A gap though he has nowhere to go because the SDE has to cut across the face of the OT to occupy the OG.

And plenty of DT can take a knee and sit down on a double team. Sure most may give up a yard or two in doing so but all I have seen Neal do is get dug out and driven hard.

If Paea goes down I see them calling up Ash before Neal. He sits down on double teams well.

Again we disagree. The DTs shoot most plays in this D. And Neal has been praised for his ability to make contact first and use his hands well. He's not being asked to play a 0 or a 1 that holds. His technique and disruption is why he's on the PS.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
In hindsight we should have extended McClain and signed a different bum at the minimum to backup the 1T.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Again we disagree. The DTs shoot most plays in this D. And Neal has been praised for his ability to make contact first and use his hands well. He's not being asked to play a 0 or a 1 that holds. His technique and disruption is why he's on the PS.

I agree when he captures the shoulder he does well.

My point is that when there is another OL coming off the ball at him in the A gap they can seal him because there is nowhere to go. There is simply no room in the A gap like there is in the B gap when the OT kickslides to take protect the edge. T

The 1 has to deal with that every snap and Neal lacks arms in his back to keep the OG away. When he is caught he doesn't anchor.

The 1T will certainly try to penetrate but they also need to be able to sit down on a knee when they get caught. Neal cannot do that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

not_you.png