RELEASED Thornton released

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Dang!! I knew he wasn't what we all were thinking he was going to be but this cut surprises me!

MissAnn

Reaction score
Thornton was a 'soft' defensive tackle while playing for Dallas. Go take someone else's money now.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'll be the dissenting vote here, and say that the Cowboys made a bad decision releasing Thornton.

Paea has a knee that has been swelling up all camp, and Price is completely unproven. Thornton at the very least is a veteran guy who can hold up against the run. His presence on the roster isn't blocking any younger player from stepping forward, and it leaves the Cowboys thin inside (only 3 DTs on the current roster). He's also a solid run defender, which it remains to be seen whether Price can provide this contribution, and Paea hasn't been a great run defender at either Chicago or Washington. Plus, they still are paying him $3 million to be somewhere else. I don't like the move.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'll be the dissenting vote here, and say that the Cowboys made a bad decision releasing Thornton.

Paea has a knee that has been swelling up all camp, and Price is completely unproven. Thornton at the very least is a veteran guy who can hold up against the run. His presence on the roster isn't blocking any younger player from stepping forward, and it leaves the Cowboys thin inside (only 3 DTs on the current roster). He's also a solid run defender, which it remains to be seen whether Price can provide this contribution, and Paea hasn't been a great run defender at either Chicago or Washington. Plus, they still are paying him $3 million to be somewhere else. I don't like the move.
Good points.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Plus, they still are paying him $3 million to be somewhere else. I don't like the move.
that is the kicker....... unless he offset language that is 9m for one year

I don't think anyone outplayed him to the tune of paying him 3m to play for someone else

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't hold in place often. He does play the one here and he is more a 1/3 as opposed to a 3/1. Everyone shoots here most of the time. And he has played the 5 although that's rare for a player built like him. It's just an aside not an important role for him. And Neal is listed at 298.
The 298 listing is wrong. He said he peaked at 280.

Ask @FuzzyLumpkins if Lewis Neal is a 1tech.

I think some snaps at 5 (SDE) would be OK but he wouldn't be a mainstay there, IMO.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cedric Thornton, cut Sunday by the Cowboys, will count $4.25 million against the cap this season since his $3 million base salary is guaranteed. If he signs elsewhere, the Cowboys will get a cap credit but not until 2018. Thornton will count $2.5 million against the cap next year with his remaining signing bonus coming forward. - Todd Archer

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DLaw had a down year last year but he was a rising star the previous two years. Jury is out.
Jones has rounded into a solid starter. He needs to start turning the ball over more to take the step to pro bowl level.
Gregory obviously had talent. He couldn't stop smoking the weed.
Jaylon will start showing what he can do in one weeks time.
98 generates consistent pressure but cannot stay completely healthy even if he plays through it. Annually underrated.
Hitchens has started multiple seasons as a 4th round pick. He keeps improving too. Injury is a setback but solid player.
Wilson broke into a starting role last year. Another great 4th round pick.
Collins broke out as a rookie and is primed for a big season.
Irving flashes dominance at the age of 22.
Thornton could not transition from the 3-4 to our 4-3. Disappointing.
Mayowa got 6 sacks transitioning from the 3-4 and really had the light come on at the end of last season. Good rotation DE.
Tapper redshirted last year due to a back injury and still working on his technique and timing. His explosiveness off the line is apparent and DE are a position that often takes time to put things together.

I don't think they've done that bad. The successes have been more plentiful than failure. We just have not had the elite season out of anyone yet. Just a lot of solid. Nonetheless the defense has performed better each year for the past 4.

People sure do like to overreact to the immediate anecdote though.
So as
Cedric Thornton, cut Sunday by the Cowboys, will count $4.25 million against the cap this season since his $3 million base salary is guaranteed. If he signs elsewhere, the Cowboys will get a cap credit but not until 2018. Thornton will count $2.5 million against the cap next year with his remaining signing bonus coming forward. - Todd Archer
Now that's how to build a DL

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its not about money its about evaluation. They could have payed brian orakpo what they used on hardy and he has been better than anyone we have the past two years in Tennessee. The decisions they have made on defense in the draft are theirs to own, they took risks and they have all failed.

its this damn defensive scheme. You need a super specific type of defensive end and they are obsessed with the 3 technique tackle which is also difficult to find. Bill Parcells told Jerry that in the modern nfl it is so hard to find Defensive ends for the 43 we always played that it is better to be 34 because of the different types of athletes that can help you. We are seeing this now just like before parcells got here and finding ends has become impossible again.

now having said that the patriots dont have a single pass rusher on their team and they have played a lot of four man fronts but they have the greatest defensive coach ever so they figure it out.

anyway. Its like they can't miss on offensive talent and can hit on defensive talent.

Parcells was wrong.

It's harder to find 3-tool players for 3-4 OLB (pass rush, coverage, run defense) than 2-tool players for 4-3 DE (pass rush, run defense).

That's why they Franchised Spencer twice. Nobody else could do all 3 tasks as well as Spencer on the Strong Side.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are we allowed to say that Cedric Thornton was a bad signing by this Front Office yet?

$3M guaranteed and still counts $2.5M against next year's cap? Some should be held accountable for that.
In the big picture it's not a huge amount. It would be far worse to miss on a 3rd round pick.

CWR

Reaction score
Where are all the fans that criticize the GM all the time for holding on to an unproductive player? Are you going to show up and give due props?

Lol, I wouldn't count on it. Alot of us really liked this signing too. Im suprised he wasnt better.

CWR

Reaction score

Good points, he mustve really been flat this offseason. One would assume thier evaluation of him was pretty meh in order to part ways after only signing him last year.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Are we allowed to say that Cedric Thornton was a bad signing by this Front Office yet?

$3M guaranteed and still counts $2.5M against next year's cap? Some should be held accountable for that.
Say it all you want. It's true. But it's better than paying for Suh and getting jack in return. So if you're going to miss, miss on a low-level signing.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Say it all you want. It's true. But it's better than paying for Suh and getting jack in return. So if you're going to miss, miss on a low-level signing.
9m for 1 year of Thornton is a horrible deal...... it is that easy to say

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up fairly early on Thornton. From what I read he was having a decent camp and I was hopeful he would be a solid rotational guy. Had they replaced him with another quality player I would feel better, but don't feel we upgraded.