CFZ Thoughts about this week's huge divisional road game!

Creeper

Reaction score
-We still don't know who is starting at QB, however, it seems Rush is most likely.

-Eagles offense presents many challenges. RPO with a legitimate dual threat QB, talented skill positional players and perhaps the best OL's in football. What strategy should the Cowboys use to defend them?

-Minnesota got lit up playing soft deep shell coverage, the Cowboys need to do the complete opposite, stack the box, play tight man coverage and force Hurts to beat them with his arm not his legs. Must stay disciplined with their rush lanes. Take away their run game and force them to drive the entire field. I would use Wilson as a spy and Kearse matching up with their TE. Watkins could be dangerous as that over the top type of receiver.

-Eagles still have a loaded defensive line, but they are an aging one. Their linebackers are average and have one top corner in Slay. Successfully running the football will be paramount as it won't allow their rushers to just pin their ears back. There should be opportunities in the passing game if they can hold up in protection.

The Eagles have the 5th ranked pass defense in the league. The Cowboys are 7th. The Eagles have the 6th most passes defensed in the league. The Cowboys are 22nd. The Eagles will play the run against Dallas and dare Rush to beat them in the air. Slay is having a great year and Bradberry is having a good year too, like he did 2 years ago. The Eagles are also 5th in the league in sacks.

Surprisingly, the Eagles are below average against the run this year, giving up 5 yards per carry. That's worse than the Cowboys defense which give up 4.7 yards per carry.

Stats indicate this should be a low scoring game which I think favors Dallas. But it seems like whenever two strong defensive teams play it winds up being a shootout.

Stats aside, I think the Eagles are going to want this to be a statement game. I think they will come out on fire against Dallas. If the Cowboys do not weather the storm early this one could be over quickly.

btw, I think the Eagles will be healthy and at full strength by Sunday. The Cowboys will be missing Dak and Tyron Smith at least. We'll have to see how Bohanna and Peters are by Sunday. And Micah as well.

plymkr

Reaction score
Really? That is shocking to me. I haven't watched a single one of their games but people were making it sound like he was going for 300+ in the air with 2-3 passing TDs every singe game along with the rushing.

We will need to play ball control offense and stay committed to the run. Let our defense and All-Pro punter win the field position battle and as long as we do not make a mistake in the form of a bad turnover or two we will be in a position to win this game.

Honestly even playing the Eagles close with our backup would be quite the feat.
Yeah I was surprised too. I haven't watched any of their games. Maybe a highlight or two. I feel if we use ball control, don't tun the ball over and make Hurts beat us with his arm we will win. If we let Hurts run around then we will lose. I got faith in Dan Quinn to come up with a gameplan to stop Hurts. Also our defense is fast, really fast and that makes me feel good we can contain Hurts.

Shane612

Reaction score
I think the beagles have too much fire power on their offense.
Their offensive line is better than LARs'.
I hope Rush can up his game, and I hope Dallas defense can keep the beagles under 20.
Dallas receivers better not drop catchable passes.
Dallas online better show up.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I thought we could beat LA. And we did. I think we can beat Philly. 24-21, something like that.

Shane612

Reaction score
My thoughts are Dak needs to suck it up put his big boy pants on and play this game against our most hated division rivals.

This is a very important game that could have playoff implications later in the year.
Cooper Rush has gone above and beyond and exceeded all expectations.

He has left things in perfect order for Dak to take over.
Now is the time to take advantage of daks skill set.
He flat out needs to play Yes he will be in pain probably for a long time to come.
Just because the hand is healed doesn't mean he won't be in pain he needs to overcome it get under center and get it done.
Two and a half million a game requires you to do things that are not expected from normal people.

If you're getting paid like your Super Man you have to at least try to be
Oh, brother....
:facepalm:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Eagles have the 5th ranked pass defense in the league. The Cowboys are 7th. The Eagles have the 6th most passes defensed in the league. The Cowboys are 22nd. The Eagles will play the run against Dallas and dare Rush to beat them in the air. Slay is having a great year and Bradberry is having a good year too, like he did 2 years ago. The Eagles are also 5th in the league in sacks.

Surprisingly, the Eagles are below average against the run this year, giving up 5 yards per carry. That's worse than the Cowboys defense which give up 4.7 yards per carry.

Stats indicate this should be a low scoring game which I think favors Dallas. But it seems like whenever two strong defensive teams play it winds up being a shootout.

Stats aside, I think the Eagles are going to want this to be a statement game. I think they will come out on fire against Dallas. If the Cowboys do not weather the storm early this one could be over quickly.

btw, I think the Eagles will be healthy and at full strength by Sunday. The Cowboys will be missing Dak and Tyron Smith at least. We'll have to see how Bohanna and Peters are by Sunday. And Micah as well.
I think they are hearing how great the Cowboy Defense is, they want to show they are better. I worry if the Cowboys can score enough to win this game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Come on brother. I thought you learned to not underestimate the Cowboys defense. The Eagles have injuries on their vaunted offensive line that needs to be monitored. The great duel threat quarterback has thrown 4 touchdown passes on the season. Same as Rush. The key will be our offense vs their defense. I think they have the advantage but if we can run the ball we can control the game.
I worry we won't score enough in this game. Both defenses should play well, but can our offense score at least 20 points against them?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’d be happy to just see us be competitive w/out Dak.

If we lose like 17-10 and the D continues to play great I’d be fine.

I have pretty low expectations going against one of the best teams in football without our starting QB.
We just don't know how good the Eagles really are, they really haven't been tested as of yet. We will find out on Sunday.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My thoughts are Dak needs to suck it up put his big boy pants on and play this game against our most hated division rivals.

This is a very important game that could have playoff implications later in the year.
Cooper Rush has gone above and beyond and exceeded all expectations.

He has left things in perfect order for Dak to take over.
Now is the time to take advantage of daks skill set.
He flat out needs to play Yes he will be in pain probably for a long time to come.
Just because the hand is healed doesn't mean he won't be in pain he needs to overcome it get under center and get it done.
Two and a half million a game requires you to do things that are not expected from normal people.

If you're getting paid like your Super Man you have to at least try to be
If he cannot throw the ball well, makes no sense to start him. Agree, if he is close, he needs to play, but I don't think he is.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Biggest game for this team all year.

Defense is playing well but this will be the most dynamic offense we’ve faced. They can run and pass. I have no worries about the WR’s as our secondary has covered the likes of Chase, Kupp, Higgins and Scary Terry (amongst others) pretty well. But that’s all because the D-line gets immense pressure. With a mobile QB like Hurts, it won’t be as easy. Stafford, Burrow, Brady, and Wentz are basically statues in the pocket. The most similar QB to Hurts we’ve faced is Danny Dimes. They immobilized him but Hurts will have more help, so he may be a problem.

Their O-line is banged up, but stopping the run plays are the biggest priority. Force Hurts to throw and keep the secondary on their toes against these receivers.

Offense will have to step up. I believe our defense can immobilize the Eagles, but if they stay on the field too long, they will get gassed and it may mess with the equilibrium of the team. Offense is gonna have to score TOUCHDOWNS. Not fieldgoals for this game. Last game was a perfect example of what you want from defense and special teams (minus the horrible snap from the new long snapper). Offense needs to STOP the drops. Philly will look to stop the run and will stack the box, forcing Rush to throw. WR’s and TE’s need to be on their Ps and Qs.
I think one thing that is being overlooked is the Eagles have a very good defense, perhaps on the level of the Cowboys.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I worry we won't score enough in this game. Both defenses should play well, but can our offense score at least 20 points against them?
Ok we agree on that point. The Eagles have the best defense we have played so far. Our Cowboys will not be at full strength. It is a game to see our weaknesses and what we need to work on or trade for. I have been looking ahead at our schedule. We can go like a 9-2 run for the rest of the season. Our end of season schedule sets up perfectly. We get a bye week before traveling to Green Bay.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Should be an interesting game, it's been awhile since both teams fielded rosters that were considered decent. Heck the entire NFC East seems to have taken a step forward in toughness this year.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I would be surprised if he played but we could sure use somebody who could make some plays with their legs in this game.

I believe this is a very winnable game it is just not a good matchup for Cooper Rush to try and win and he has done everything expected of him now it's time for Dak to step up
If Rush plays then Moore has to have a plan of attack in order to win. Now I expect a heavy run game but I see Rush connecting with his receivers to loosen up the stacked box Philly will probably employ. If he has success with the receiving corp I expect the run game to be very good. I'd love to see Turpin used in the passing game this week. His speed needs to be on the field in some capacity even as a decoy. An why isn't Tony Pollard not a big part of the passing game? With Zeke and him in together Zeke can block. Gonna be tough sledding but the Eagles are not unbeatable. Their win streak will detonate this Sunday night.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Ok we agree on that point. The Eagles have the best defense we have played so far. Our Cowboys will not be at full strength. It is a game to see our weaknesses and what we need to work on or trade for. I have been looking ahead at our schedule. We can go like a 9-2 run for the rest of the season. Our end of season schedule sets up perfectly. We get a bye week before traveling to Green Bay.
After the back to back road games against GB/Minn, our schedule is manageable.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think the Eagles are going to want this to be a statement game. I think they will come out on fire against Dallas.

I think this can be said for both teams........imagine beating them with our backup QB on their own turf.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We just don't know how good the Eagles really are, they really haven't been tested as of yet. We will find out on Sunday.

Agree, don’t think we’ll really know how either of us are until around Thanksgiving.

Win or lose it’s not going to really sway much for me bc our starting QB is on the sidelines…too early. We’ll both still be in good shape to make the playoffs regardless.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
With the defensive line the Eagles have, Dallas will struggle to pass the ball. The disadvantage of Cooper Rush will be demonstrated for all to see.

That will make Dallas one dimensional. They will struggle to score 13 points. The Eagles will score more than that.

Nope watched their game with Cardinals they are way overrated and going to get punched in the mouth by us. Secondary can easily be exploited and I know we can run on them. The Cardinals had both there running backs hurt in that game. I know we can be successful running on them.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don’t see us winning this game. Too much hype. I just want to play well and play a good game. I just don’t think we have enough offensively to win.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going to be a fun game since both teams have good records but it is only the 6th game and DAL will still be playing a backup QB.

Will one of the two best D players in the league be close to 100%? He I’ll be facing the best OL he has faced this season and the secondary will be facing the best tandem of WR’s/TE so far.

I also think Rush’s run is in danger in this game because they are going to try and force the game on him because they don’t believe the D/ST can be the difference two weeks in a row. Winning with a QB getting just over 100 yards passing is an anomaly in today’s NFL. That will not fly Sunday.