Thoughts on driverless cars

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
...and public opinion is swayed by social media because most people can't think for themselves. So, dollars are invested in social media to sway opinions. In other words, it is unstoppable. :)

You have no idea what direction this social media will take or what events will shape direction. It could just as easily go the other direction, based on political pressure or media sensationalism. You don't know Sam. This is why I have said what I did.

rags747

Reaction score
I have 0% desire for a driverless car. There is no greater freedom in the world than getting in your car and being captain, bringing her to redline and throwing gears, determining how I will take that curve ahead and when to get on the brakes. I have 4 cars for myself and each one is a toy, Would never give that up.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I never liked anything where you rely on technology to do the driving for you because these features will fail eventually.
Also, it takes away new up and coming drivers to actually learn how to drive, park etc. I am tired of drivers relying on cameras, sensors for parallel parking, blind spots, auto braking when it should be about practicing safety and using your eyes and head.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Speaking of vehicles....has anyone seen the ad on the site for the “Panzer III” tank? Is that a little remote controlled model car type thing? It says smoke and all kinds of stuff comes out.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
@waldoputty

Just a couple more thoughts/questions. How susceptible are the sensors to things like mud, ice, dirt etc. building up/caking and blocking sensors? I would guess there is some type of redundancy or failsafes if that was the case. Would there be a contingency if driverless operating conditions would be sensed as unwise, would there be a failsafe that would not allow it to be engaged or with a suitable warning be disengaged if in use. I don't know what all those conditions would be, but unsuitable from a safety as well as company liability standpoint.

How robust and durable are all the components, ease and cost of maintenance is always an issue. Looking down the road when the vehicles have been in use for a few years and being properly maintained can become an issue. Some people are meticulous in maintaining their vehicles and some have them held together with duct tape and bailing wire. You know how people are, the car is making a funny noise or there's a blinking light and they ignore it, or tell themselves it's still driving OK, or they'll take care of it later, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't until whatever it was fails. You can't blame the tech for human error and cars in those conditions are inherently unsafe, but it does happen and people relying on driverless tech make it exponentially more dangerous. I guess you would have to have system sensors that would not allow the tech to be engaged, but to what extent to make it safe and feasible.

waldoputty

Reaction score
@waldoputty

Just a couple more thoughts/questions. How susceptible are the sensors to things like mud, ice, dirt etc. building up/caking and blocking sensors? I would guess there is some type of redundancy or failsafes if that was the case. Would there be a contingency if driverless operating conditions would be sensed as unwise, would there be a failsafe that would not allow it to be engaged or with a suitable warning be disengaged if in use. I don't know what all those conditions would be, but unsuitable from a safety as well as company liability standpoint.

How robust and durable are all the components, ease and cost of maintenance is always an issue. Looking down the road when the vehicles have been in use for a few years and being properly maintained can become an issue. Some people are meticulous in maintaining their vehicles and some have them held together with duct tape and bailing wire. You know how people are, the car is making a funny noise or there's a blinking light and they ignore it, or tell themselves it's still driving OK, or they'll take care of it later, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't until whatever it was fails. You can't blame the tech for human error and cars in those conditions are inherently unsafe, but it does happen and people relying on driverless tech make it exponentially more dangerous. I guess you would have to have system sensors that would not allow the tech to be engaged, but to what extent to make it safe and feasible.

ice, mud would completely screw up these sensors. and that is where the system needs to tell you - clean me.
some built in features would help keep these sensors clean.
sensors could be mounted in different places for redundancy.
all auto components must meet minimum reliability requirements that are not easy to build.
for example. a tradition laser radar (lidar) uses a spinning mirror to scan the beam. that is probably not going to fly in automotive.

i for one would think it is insane to get rid of the steering wheel and driver controls.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
ice, mud would completely screw up these sensors. and that is where the system needs to tell you - clean me.
some built in features would help keep these sensors clean.
sensors could be mounted in different places for redundancy.
all auto components must meet minimum reliability requirements that are not easy to build.
for example. a tradition laser radar (lidar) uses a spinning mirror to scan the beam. that is probably not going to fly in automotive.

i for one would think it is insane to get rid of the steering wheel and driver controls.
They already have radar in my cars 2018 model. It rocks...they even did what I’ve been asking. Full 360...so no more curb rash!!!! Got sport tires on 18’s...so wasn’t used to that coming from a Ford sedan. Boy I wish I had that upon purchase. I’m not some rich guy or even owned a new car before. Now? You’d nevah get me to go back to a late model. No thank you sir. When I’m done with payments...I’m getting that Vision M3. That thing is sick....

Chrispierce

Reaction score
@waldoputty

If you can’t see your monitor...it’s no different than the obvious.”I should clean my front window.” I really don’t have any of these issues you all claim to be issues. I rarely have to clean my sensors. I honestly,kinda think it’s weird all the concerns in here,as It’s really standard in my area. The majority of people around me have newer cars. It’s the ones who don’t we worry about. They tend to be the problems on the roads in my neck of the woods. It’s why I wanted a new small quick car,as a defensive measure. I can get out of bad situations fast,or brake quickly...and do so often. That and I can park far easier than my sedan,(not much room here,very dense) and soooo much more fun to drive now

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Oh thank god!! I don’t have a warrant!!! Just asked s CHP and he said not to worry. Knew the exact place I got it too. Wow...is that a relief. Been wearing heavy on my mind.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If you can’t see your monitor...it’s no different than the obvious.”I should clean my front window.” I really don’t have any of these issues you all claim to be issues. I rarely have to clean my sensors. I honestly,kinda think it’s weird all the concerns in here,as It’s really standard in my area. The majority of people around me have newer cars. It’s the ones who don’t we worry about. They tend to be the problems on the roads in my neck of the woods. It’s why I wanted a new small quick car,as a defensive measure. I can get out of bad situations fast,or brake quickly...and do so often. That and I can park far easier than my sedan,(not much room here,very dense) and soooo much more fun to drive now

there are numerous things that can be done. heating the surface to prevent ice. spray water jets/wipers to wash away dirt. teflon non-stick coating so things dont stick easily...