Twitter: Three reasons why Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott will remind fans why he's one of the top running backs in

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Facing defender in the back field and fighting just to get back to the line of scrimmage is a losing battle for any RB. I do think Zeke has taken this challenge seriously as even those close to him are questioning (at least a piece I read) and he has dedicated himself this off season to answer the question.
I just hope gets that fumbling problem fixed and if he does he's gonna rock this season.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I hope he gets it together. Covid Elliott wasn't near breathtaking. I would love to see him have a big freaking year.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honestly, how good do we need Zeke to be for this team to be a serious playoff contender?

I would argue that with the anticipated passing game, Zeke needs to.be an average back - no more, no less. That, however, certainly doesn't sit well with his contract. I would also argue that Pollard needs more touches.

Although not a Zeke hater, I was and am very adamant that you don't sign running backs to a second contract like Zeke... RB's are a fungible asset in today's football.

So, whether he "bounces" back to the Zeke of old, really doesn't matter. We are a passing team with a high priced RB.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I don't get this at all. "The higher the investments, the higher the expectations." Really? Zeke's contract influences what you expect to see from him on the field? I can't imagine how."He has to offer a huge reason why we could've went with a Derrick Henry..." That draft was years ago. The draft and the contract are water under the bridge. The question is, what can we reasonably expect from him this season? If you're going to be unhappy unless he magically transforms into a player that he isn't, well then you're going to be unhappy.......
I don't expect him to suddenly start ripping off long runs or running routes and catching passes like McCaffrey, no matter what work he's done in the offseason. He's not that guy.

I'm unhappy with the contract they gave Zeke. But again, that's water under the bridge and has no effect on my expectations. I'm hoping for the best Zeke we can reasonably expect to get, and I think 2019 Zeke is that level of performance. I'll be (pleasantly!) shocked if we get more than that.

You're right, he's not that guy or at least hasn't been lately.......But he USED to be! And that's what they paid him to be.
I hope he regains some of that speed and flash as a result of his off season work.
If not, they need to reconsider his value vs his cap hit.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Honestly, how good do we need Zeke to be for this team to be a serious playoff contender?

I would argue that with the anticipated passing game, Zeke needs to.be an average back - no more, no less. That, however, certainly doesn't sit well with his contract. I would also argue that Pollard needs more touches.

Although not a Zeke hater, I was and am very adamant that you don't sign running backs to a second contract like Zeke... RB's are a fungible asset in today's football.

So, whether he "bounces" back to the Zeke of old, really doesn't matter. We are a passing team with a high priced RB.

This is an interesting post because there are two ways to look at this. To answer your immediate question, I don't think the Cowboys need Elliott to be an "elite" level back to be a playoff contender. He just needs to be good and effective. He needs to protect the ball better than he did in 2020. They don't need him to go out and run for 1600-1800 yards, 14 TDs, etc. It would be great if he did but I don't think it's vital for him to be that guy.

That being said, from a purely financial perspective, one could argue they need him to be elite because if he's not, we are wasting cap space on our TB. But at the end of the day, team results matter and if they team is really good, Elliott is just decent less people will worry about what we are paying him.

quickccc

Reaction score
I didn't draft him. I also have a lot more information now than I did then. My expectations are based on the information I have available to me.

1)
Ok, sure you did not draft him , but the Cowboys team did … and zeke & the Cowboys team is the point of this discussion.
I still have no regrets at all about drafting ZKE, in fact I was ecstatic then and still am, .i still maintain that he’s been poorly re-directed by Garrett regime.
I would have drafted him then, and I would draft him again in a re-do draft - as I touted Elliott as an Adrian Peterson impact player.

I didn't pay him. I have no reason to base my expectations on his paycheck. I base my expectations on his career to date, his age and other factors that are relevant to his on-field performance, not his contract (which isn't).
2) Again, sure you yourself did not make the decision to re-sign/pay ZKE ..the team did paid him. Again it’s the team/Elliott that’s the basic of this discussion.
Again based on the expectation task due to leading NFL in rushing twice in his prime career, he’s earned that contract by management.

Again, I'm not paying him. The Cowboys are paying him more money than I would like. Let me ask you this: if they doubled his salary tomorrow, would you expect him to perform better on the field?
I wouldn't.
3) Yet again, the team did pay him, it’s a management decision based on individual achievement and how they see his impact and forecast in the near future. They paid him market value.
To answer your question- No, I would not pay him double tomorrow, based coming off a subpar year for him, for what I’ve already invested so highly for him. He would have to recoup his market value.

It remains debatable with some if they want to draft a RB so highly per 1st round, and ditto with paying their franchise feature back
among the highest paid.

Teams that are lucky to even have that kind of back are just gonna have to pony it up, and do we see those kind of backs get let go in FA and go elsewhere ?
Zeke, Henry, McCaffrey,.. when Kamara and Chubb’s contract time comes, those teams will be ponying up similar market value dollar numbers. Barkley will have recoup his value post ACL injury.

I want him to learn to fly and score a TD on every play. What I want and what I can reasonably expect are completely different things.

Sure. Me too. But I have no expectation that it'll happen.

In my experience, that's not the sort of thing that does happen.I expect his regimen to have zero observable impact on his burst and agility. I mean, I expect that he'll be in good shape--at least we're not hearing that he's living on Twinkies and skipping out on his workouts, so that's good. But I don't expect any of that stuff to get him back to anything more than his 2019 form. Hey, I could be wrong. But I doubt it.
4) Aside from the "twinkies and Zeke flying ", you obviously have a mindset that whatever you see from the previous 2019 version ..is what you’re gonna get.
..and all of this back- to -quickness workout regiment is just a cool fantasy pipe dream. Ok, That’s a right to your opinion.
Others blame zeke himself for contract holdouts, off field issues, or think he’s just taken a wear-tear toll at age 25 and he’s done. (ala Chris Johnson, Shady McCoy, etc.)
That’s’ how they will seek to view him -while I also will have my own view.

quickccc

Reaction score
and not just for Zeke but Pollard is an emerging star in the making.
Most teams have 3 decent RBs, its a rough gig and they take a pounding,, this roster is looking for that RB3, got a couple decent rook prospects but 26 year old Gurley is hanging out if we get twitchy.

is Todd Gurley more of an exception, because of his career chronic troublesome knee issue ?

Big_D

Reaction score

The problem is the cap hit. Super star money when you majorly suck in other areas. Can they be good enough? sure.. but the odds seem stacked against it. People need to see great cause that's why he was drafted, that's why he was paid.. Show up big or it's time to go. Financially there is no other way. Value vs production. A great team needs to have that ratio a little more balanced. This one is completely lopsided and wins nothing. The change of pace would be him coming up big in January like he was drafted to do. Overpaid RBs are just not really feasible these days. And this case is even more ridiculous than any other RB situation in football. That doesn't help.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sad then that we are paying that much for a grind it out type TB.
Depends on how good he is at grinding. Lately, not all that good. Don't forget, Emmit was a grind it out type. Grind it out RB's are instrumental to super bowl runs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Depends on how good he is at grinding. Lately, not all that good. Don't forget, Emmit was a grind it out type. Grind it out RB's are instrumental to super bowl runs.

Emmitt Smith played 25-30 years ago. People need to stop bringing him up to try to justify RB play in today's NFL. The game is different as rule changes and the like have made this a passing league where teams are looking for big plays, etc.

Big_D

Reaction score

Emmitt was much more than that. The comparisons are ridiculous at this point. Those intangibles Emmitt had simply aren't there. Good RB? yes, no where near comparable to Emmitt Smith.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
is Todd Gurley more of an exception, because of his career chronic troublesome knee issue ?
Have no idea about Gurleys current knee condition, havent found anything reported,, was just mentioning his name of some still young RBs on the street.
Gurley leads the list in name only.

quickccc

Reaction score
No, and agree, not talking about putting Zeke ever on Ice, he has to be managed.
Meaning if we are in a good lead, and just need a closer,,, having that RB3 can keep Zeke fresher late,,, having a healthy fresh Zeke when it matters most is what should be the focus.

Good point with Zeke needing to be better managed. :thumbup:

- With us playing with a big lead and needing a closer in closing, deciding moments of a game. This is where THE guy, one of your top core players comes in to play.
This is also when we need our critical core player to finish drives, ..not tapping his helmet for breathers when we get to the critical red zone area.

- I thought the previous Garrett regime allowed Zeke to get into some bad habits, instead of placing the foot down to make understand non-injury dire situations and breather-relief rotations.
( just as I still maintain they changed/added bulk to his frame to be more bell cow/less thoroughbred)

- I’m not in agreement with 3 backs needed, we normally see that number of involvement If an injury pops up or if it’s a significant blow out.
Remember the Browns’ Chubb getting hurt early in game last year vs Cowboys, and his two other backups still ran all over us with such ease ?
Two backs most definitely . But otherwise i don't think we'd see three backs in the game that's more competitively close.

But you’re right in keeping Zeke fresher in certain parts and stretches, so that he can be at his top strength when the most dire moments of the game per red zone, goal line/short yd, blitz block, or needing that big 1st down to run out clock/close games

This is where I strongly feel is part of coaching game management. HC needs to relate/connect with their key Assts with this plan as well.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Good point with Zeke needing to be better managed. :thumbup:

- With us playing with a big lead and needing a closer in closing, deciding moments of a game. This is where THE guy, one of your top core players comes in to play.
This is also when we need our critical core player to finish drives, ..not tapping his helmet for breathers when we get to the critical red zone area.

- I thought the previous Garrett regime allowed Zeke to get into some bad habits, instead of placing the foot down to make understand non-injury dire situations and breather-relief rotations.
( just as I still maintain they changed/added bulk to his frame to be more bell cow/less thoroughbred)

- I’m not in agreement with 3 backs needed, we normally see that number of involvement If an injury pops up or if it’s a significant blow out.
Remember the Browns’ Chubb getting hurt early in game last year vs Cowboys, and his two other backups still ran all over us with such ease ?
Two backs most definitely . But otherwise i don't think we'd see three backs in the game that's more competitively close.

But you’re right in keeping Zeke fresher in certain parts and stretches, so that he can be at his top strength when the most dire moments of the game per red zone, goal line/short yd, blitz block, or needing that big 1st down to run out clock/close games

This is where I strongly feel is part of coaching game management. HC needs to relate/connect with their key Assts with this plan as well.
Not totally sure of the new CBA rules regarding PS expansion and protection enhancements,, I remember reading awhile back and I need to go back and understand the changes, but the RB3 doesnt have to be on the active roster if
they see something from one of the rooks than Im finding a way to stash him on the PS for insurance purposes if need be.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, sure you did not draft him , but the Cowboys team did … and zeke & the Cowboys team is the point of this discussion.
Again, sure you yourself did not make the decision to re-sign/pay ZKE ..the team did paid him. Again it’s the team/Elliott that’s the basic of this discussion.
No, the point of this discussion was, what do I expect from him this season; what would make me happy with his performance. His draft position, his salary, and what the team thinks of him don't affect my expectations at all. (That's not quite true, the team decides how to use him and that does factor in.)
To answer your question- No, I would not pay him double tomorrow, based coming off a subpar year for him, for what I’ve already invested so highly for him. He would have to recoup his market value.
That wasn't my question. My question was, "if they paid him more, would you expect more from him on the field?" I would not.
Aside from the "twinkies and Zeke flying ", you obviously have a mindset that whatever you see from the previous 2019 version ..is what you’re gonna get.
..and all of this back- to -quickness workout regiment is just a cool fantasy pipe dream. Ok, That’s a right to your opinion.
I'm not convinced we're going to get the 2019 version. I HOPE we get the 2019 version. I'll be shocked if we get better than that. I'll be disappointed but not shocked if we get less than that.

Here are things I know.
1. Running backs tend to peak early and decline quite rapidly. There are exceptions, but the general trend is really strong.
2. Every off-season, we see a huge number of reports about players with new workout regimens (no 't', by the way). Almost none of them actually translate to meaningful performance improvement in the regular season.

Based on these things, I don't have much expectation that Zeke will bounce back to anything like his 2016 form. I don't think he'll make the contract look like it was a good idea. But I do think he can be a very good running back in 2021 who can help the team win, and I'll be happy if he does that.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith played 25-30 years ago. People need to stop bringing him up to try to justify RB play in today's NFL. The game is different as rule changes and the like have made this a passing league where teams are looking for big plays, etc.
Plus Emmitt was much better at hitting the big play than Zeke is despite being a grind it out back.

johneric8

Reaction score
You don’t have to read the threads about Zeke or anyone else you don’t like. Just skip them instead of whining about them.
It's not whining man. Someone started a post stating that Zeke will remind everyone why he is so great! Personally, he has only shown me that he is slipping into mediocrity, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see this. I honestly saw the thread and thought it was a hilarious reach.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not whining man. Someone started a post stating that Zeke will remind everyone why he is so great! Personally, he has only shown me that he is slipping into mediocrity, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see this. I honestly saw the thread and thought it was a hilarious reach.
It was absolutely whining.