Twitter: Three reasons why Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott will remind fans why he's one of the top running backs in

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is the cap hit. Super star money when you majorly suck in other areas. Can they be good enough? sure.. but the odds seem stacked against it. People need to see great cause that's why he was drafted, that's why he was paid.. Show up big or it's time to go. Financially there is no other way. Value vs production. A great team needs to have that ratio a little more balanced. This one is completely lopsided and wins nothing. The change of pace would be him coming up big in January like he was drafted to do. Overpaid RBs are just not really feasible these days. And this case is even more ridiculous than any other RB situation in football. That doesn't help.

There's no problem with the cap hit. People make such a big deal out of nothing. I think it's just an excuse to not be a cheerleader...instead acting like a GM.

Money is of no concern to us....it's futile plus a poor excuse to hate on a player.

Not saying YOU...exactly. If our team stays healthy, zeke does good, just like Dak. And vice versa. We start winning and most people will forget about cap....even far wingers.

johneric8

Reaction score
It was absolutely whining.
Trust me, I hope he kills it, but history isn't favorable in terms of his slippage and the fact he got paid.
I'm actually excited to see if any of the hype translates into production...

starfan1

Reaction score
No, and agree, not talking about putting Zeke ever on Ice, he has to be managed.
Meaning if we are in a good lead, and just need a closer,,, having that RB3 can keep Zeke fresher late,,, having a healthy fresh Zeke when it matters most is what should be the focus.
He should be fresh all over seen as of late is him motioning to the sidelines for a blow

Sydla

Reaction score
There's no problem with the cap hit. People make such a big deal out of nothing. I think it's just an excuse to not be a cheerleader...instead acting like a GM.

Money is of no concern to us....it's futile plus a poor excuse to hate on a player.

Not saying YOU...exactly. If our team stays healthy, zeke does good, just like Dak. And vice versa. We start winning and most people will forget about cap....even far wingers.

You could make the same argument the other way. People like to downplay the cap because they don't want to have to deal with the reality that their favorite team might be overpaying or made bad roster decisions with big contracts that has hindered them in other areas.

If a team is paying large contracts to players who aren't performing at a high level, that's likely going to correlate to that team failing to succeed, etc. People can't just wish away the contract implications because they don't want to have to criticize a favorite player of theirs.

The reality is at what Zeke is being paid, he has to be a game changer. He has to be soooooo good that he can offset issues at other positions due to the fact he's eating up a significant chunk of cap space at a position that many other teams have de-emphasized and not poured the resources into the position that we have.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trust me, I hope he kills it, but history isn't favorable in terms of his slippage and the fact he got paid.
I'm actually excited to see if any of the hype translates into production...
You’re right history doesn’t favor him. He seems to working hard this offseason, as he should every offseason, so there is hope. He’s still pretty young.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The concern over Zeke is that statistically speaking NFL running backs that hit the 1,800 carry career milestone (as well as hitting age 28) start to decline in every season thereafter. Currently Zeke will be 26 years old at the start of the 2021 season while amassing 1,413 career carries.

Given Zeke has averaged roughly 20 carries/game in his career, if he plays all 16 games he would finish the season around the 340 carries mark. So if statistics hold true, even if Zeke has a better year in 2021 than in 2020, you can begin to see his decline starting within the next year or two which would coincide with Dallas being able to get out of his contract after the 2022 season with a $6.7M in dead money cap hit (an $8.3M cap savings given his cap hit and bonuses).

Further taking into account the undecided plan for WR Gallup (free agent after this season), the aging o-line, the ability to get out of Amari Cooper's contract after the 2021 season, and the ability to get out of Demarcus Lawrence's contract after the 2023 season, the Dallas Cowboys could look dramatically different in the next few years.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The question is will he get his explosiveness back? That's the biggest concern. His lack of explosion, inability to turn smaller gains into big runs has led many to think he's already starting to regress. There is no question that the Elliott of recent years doesn't look like the rookie Elliott who appeared quicker, more explosive, etc.

If he's found some of that explosiveness again, he can be great. If he hasn't, he's just a decent/good TB at this point.
^^^^^ This

Guy has no burst. I also question his conditioning. Stopped blocking too. He still has talent but he is nowhere near the best back in the game.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Could be a big bounce back year for Zeke. Here's to hope.

He will be in the runnings for comeback player of the year but he will be beat out by his best friend on the team. With Tyron and Collins coming back healthy, plus or defense will be much improved, giving our offense more possessions, I believe we will have a top-3 offense. The homer in me says we will be the #1 ranked offense. :flagwave:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The concern over Zeke is that statistically speaking NFL running backs that hit the 1,800 carry career milestone (as well as hitting age 28) start to decline in every season thereafter. Currently Zeke will be 26 years old at the start of the 2021 season while amassing 1,413 career carries.

Given Zeke has averaged roughly 20 carries/game in his career, if he plays all 16 games he would finish the season around the 340 carries mark. So if statistics hold true, even if Zeke has a better year in 2021 than in 2020, you can begin to see his decline starting within the next year or two which would coincide with Dallas being able to get out of his contract after the 2022 season with a $6.7M in dead money cap hit (an $8.3M cap savings given his cap hit and bonuses).

Further taking into account the undecided plan for WR Gallup (free agent after this season), the aging o-line, the ability to get out of Amari Cooper's contract after the 2021 season, and the ability to get out of Demarcus Lawrence's contract after the 2023 season, the Dallas Cowboys could look dramatically different in the next few years.
A negative person like you would take that kind of take. A positive person like many of us would look at what he’s been doing in the offseason, his current age of 25, his best friend Dak coming back and the improvements being made on the defense and be optimistic. A little giddy in fact. But you do you and feel like crap for the upcoming season expecting the worst. It’s what you do.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You could make the same argument the other way. People like to downplay the cap because they don't want to have to deal with the reality that their favorite team might be overpaying or made bad roster decisions with big contracts that has hindered them in other areas.

If a team is paying large contracts to players who aren't performing at a high level, that's likely going to correlate to that team failing to succeed, etc. People can't just wish away the contract implications because they don't want to have to criticize a favorite player of theirs.

The reality is at what Zeke is being paid, he has to be a game changer. He has to be soooooo good that he can offset issues at other positions due to the fact he's eating up a significant chunk of cap space at a position that many other teams have de-emphasized and not poured the resources into the position that we have.

Okay so what difference does it make if we object to the "cap hit". IS jerry going to fire him? IS he going to pay his pets less?

Why even bother...it's insanity.

"Ooooooh cap space i HATE him! "

Stupid.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A negative person like you would take that kind of take. A positive person like many of us would look at what he’s been doing in the offseason, his current age of 25, his best friend Dak coming back and the improvements being made on the defense and be optimistic. A little giddy in fact. But you do you and feel like crap for the upcoming season expecting the worst. It’s what you do.

You aren't "positive person" in the slightest. Not even CLOSE. You are the most negative assuming egomaniac here.

You think THIS is "positive person"?:

"Oh he said a negative thing about dak he is unethetical negative hateful human being" .

No dude.....not even CLOSE. WHy do you keep trying to convince everyone you are such a positive optimistic person when you judge human beings' character using comments on the internet?

It's the most asinine thing I have ever seen in 30+ years on the net. Congratulations. Not only parading yourself as a "positive optimists person" (unbecoming even if you were...) but the EXACT opposite.

A critical, negative, nasty, ill-tempered, judgmental egomaniac.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You aren't "positive person" in the slightest. Not even CLOSE. You are the most negative assuming egomaniac here.

"Oh he said a negative thing about dak he is unethetical negative hateful human being" .

No dude.....not even CLOSE. WHy do you keep trying to convince everyone you are such a positive optimistic person when you judge human beings' character using comments on the internet?

It's the most asinine thing I have ever seen in 30+ years on the net. Congratulations. Not only parading yourself as a "positive optimists person" (unbecoming even if you were...) but the EXACT opposite.

That’s what all the haters say about me and I LOVE it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Good point with Zeke needing to be better managed. ......This is also when we need our critical core player to finish drives, ..not tapping his helmet for breathers when we get to the critical red zone area.
I thought the previous Garrett regime allowed Zeke to get into some bad habits, instead of placing the foot down to make understand non-injury dire situations and breather-relief rotations.
( just as I still maintain they changed/added bulk to his frame to be more bell cow/less thoroughbred)

- I’m not in agreement with 3 backs needed, we normally see that number of involvement If an injury pops up or if it’s a significant blow out.
Remember the Browns’ Chubb getting hurt early in game last year vs Cowboys, and his two other backups still ran all over us with such ease ?
Two backs most definitely . But otherwise i don't think we'd see three backs in the game that's more competitively close.

But you’re right in keeping Zeke fresher in certain parts and stretches, so that he can be at his top strength when the most dire moments of the game per red zone, goal line/short yd, blitz block, or needing that big 1st down to run out clock/close games

This is where I strongly feel is part of coaching game management. HC needs to relate/connect with their key Assts with this plan as well.
I totally agree. I believe that was indeed Garrett's shenanigans, rethinking what Zeke was drafted for. Garrett added the pounds to turn as you said, a thoroughbred into Garrett's idea of a bell cow. Good description Quickccc.
I hope Zeke's offseason training and dieting this year reverses that by adding some speed and quickness back into the equation.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

:clap::clap:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If everyone is saying it......................
Only problem with your comment is that not everyone is saying it. There are many decent posters here. Only reason I’m still here. We out number you haters 2 to 1.