Tiger in the hunt at Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yeah, he does - something that should have remained incredibly personal and between just he and his ex got pushed into the headlines.

The details are a bit sketchy after all this time, but wasn't there a 911 call? He created a situation where it turned into a circus.

And nothing you just said changes what I said - the media that once wanted him torn down and removed from golf are now his biggest fans in this comeback.

And I guess we just disagree with the media wanting to tear him down. IMO, the media wanted to sell magazines and drive website traffic towards their sites. I don't think very many, if any really wanted to see what ultimately happened. Not to mention, a lot of the crazy (not all) came from tabloids.

The man could have had 200 affairs and screwed over multiple wives - he can be a degenerate human being, doesn't change the kind of player he was.

I didn't comment on him as a golfer, and am personally happy he won today. I don't really recall people knocking his golfing ability due to him having a ton of affairs. In fact, I remember as early as 2010 if not 2009, the media was actively rooting for Tiger to bounce back. Golf and sports media in general, generates more money when he's relevant.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The details are a bit sketchy after all this time, but wasn't there a 911 call? He created a situation where it turned into a circus.

And I guess we just disagree with the media wanting to tear him down. IMO, the media wanted to sell magazines and drive website traffic towards their sites. I don't think very many, if any really wanted to see what ultimately happened. Not to mention, a lot of the crazy (not all) came from tabloids.

I didn't comment on him as a golfer, and am personally happy he won today. I don't really recall people knocking his golfing ability due to him having a ton of affairs. In fact, I remember as early as 2010 if not 2009, the media was actively rooting for Tiger to bounce back. Golf and sports media in general, generates more money when he's relevant.

A 911 call about a domestic dispute? If that one, then yes. Again, I don't see an excuse to make this sports headlines for months with all the private dirty details about his sex life coming to the surface. We've gotten to a point in our society where we just accept vulturous media and how relentless they can be. And he has spoken about this and how it impacted him mentally.

And I didn't make a comment on people thinking he was a bad golfer, but cheering for his failing due to off the course problems. I know there is a line where someone can become so intolerable that their personality can't be overlooked for their game, I just never saw Woods cross the line to the point it warranted such negative press coverage or why the public even needed to be in the know.

mrmojo

Reaction score
It was a great day for sports not only golf. He will go down as one of the best, if not the best athlete, of all time. We are all human and some people love to build heroes up and then tear them back down again.....how he reacted to that type of adversity in a sport that is not forgiving, is a testament to his mental toughness and character. He has come full circle and I hope he can give us many more memories in the next few year..........If your a fan of his or not, we can all agree golf isn't the same without him competing for a championship on Sunday.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Shout out tommy man Tiger for ******** up the haters. They said you couldn’t win another major. Great week for sports with UVA winning too.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Now that Woods is playing steadily, seriously thinking of making the trip to Pebble Beach in June. It’s a nice excuse to hit up central Cali :flagwave:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The US Open at Pebble Beach and PGA at Beth Page are both venues he’s won majors before.

I certainly wouldn’t count him out on finally winning the Grand Slam.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I just want to be spared all the "he's a bad guy because I saw him not sign an autograph for a kid one time" nonsense. Kids don't know the value, if any, an autograph has. That's parents telling them to go get the autograph.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In all fairness though, the media loves to do that to famous people and Tiger's own actions made that much easier for them.

That said, I don't think anyone thought he would drop as far and as long as he did, and the PGA and the media are probably very relieved to see him back on top again.

When a player like him is not only one of the best at the moment but also a best of their generation (like Tom Brady, Michael Jordon, etc.), it makes the sport and being a fan so much better.

Of course there are fans who hate Tiger just like there are fans who hate Tom Brady, but their respective sports are much better with them and will feel a little empty once they are gone.

I am very glad to see him back on top and think the Masters was a fitting place for his return.
Well said!

Nothing like winning championships or in this case a Major to silence the haters and critics.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
The US Open at Pebble Beach and PGA at Beth Page are both venues he’s won majors before.

He's already won the Grand Slam

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Well,ya know? I was scroll surfing thru the channels

( those shrill bean lingo channels that I do land on? ,,,er like if they air midget wrestling/ peroxide bleach blonde & boobed wimmen grappling, or even that mug of Arnold Schwarzenegger mouthing off captioned subtitles REALLY DO TEND TO captivate my thumb movement
,,er,,:huh:)

,, anyway, during a previous scroll thru, I'd paused on the tiger choking out wide left on like a 38-46 foot putt by 8-10 inches wide left ,,,& well, considering the trophy putting greens of trimmed quim turf he's practiced his putting action upon ?,,,ya, it kinda' stood me fer' a loop as well ,fellers:confused:

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Anyone that still has an axe to grind with Tiger after all these years must personally dislike him.

I would. He did not do it at his peak and doubtful he can now. The field is deeper with a lot more major winners that are still very healthy. But I would love to see if he did.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wall to wall coverage of Tiger's victory despite NBA playoffs NHL playoffs and a bit more than a week to go before the NFL draft. I don't get it. It's still just freaking golf at the end of the day. We had several upsets in game ones of the NBA playoffs but all I see being talked about is Tiger. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.