Tiger in the hunt at Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskboys

Reaction score
Are you kidding? To be considered the greatest golfer of all time! What sports competitor wouldn't want to be the GOAT? Brady has 6 SBs, nobody else has more than 4, and only two of those guys. Chances of anybody passing Brady is very slim, it took nearly 30 years after Montana won his 4th for Brady to pass him up, the more wins someone gets the harder it is for someone to pass that guy up. After Starr won 2, it only took Griese 4 years to match him and it only took 5 years or so for Bradshaw to get 4. But then it took 15 years for Montana to reach 4. Now somebody has to win SEVEN to pass Brady. It becomes harder and harder to set the record. So why does Brady still play?

Because it COULD happen, the more he gets, the better his chances of no one ever breaking his record. Aikman had second thoughts about staying retired. He had 3 SB rings, at the time the record was 4 SB wins, only needed one more to match the other 2 guys.

Tiger gets 19 majors, it may stand for 50 years. At which time he'll likely be dead and gone, so he'll never have to deal with someone being considered greater than he was.

That's PLENTY of incentive...
Starr has 7. He won 5 before it was called the super bowl. The moniker doesn't change the fact that he won championships.

Otto Graham has 7 championships.

kskboys

Reaction score
The sports shows have a limited time to talk about what's happening in the world of sports and by paying so much attention to the Tiger story, other relevant sports events get neglected. I believe the Tiger story is relevant but it does not take the full hour to talk about it when we have NBA playoffs to talk about too.
Golf bores me to tears, but so do reality shows, so whatever gets people watching.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, so you know for a fact the majority of viewers prefer Golf over NBA playoff basketball? I don't think so.
That’s not what I said.

But I would say that ESPN catered to the viewers interest in the moment because while golf normally wouldn’t warrant as much coverage the impact of the moment did.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Starr has 7. He won 5 before it was called the super bowl. The moniker doesn't change the fact that he won championships.

I'm talking about Super Bowls. The first two weren't originally called Super Bowls but are now considered that way.

And the "modern" NFL is vastly different than Graham's era, can't really compare his championships to Brady's, Aikmans, etc.

Imo...

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Starr has 5 NFL titles . 1961, 62, 65,66 and 67. That includes the first 2 Super Bowls in 66 and 67 seasons.

He did win 5 before it was called the Super Bowl but those last 2 in 66 and 67 were later called SB 1 and 2.

Starr is still only QB in NFL history to lead his team to 3 straight NFL Championships. 1965-1967

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm talking about Super Bowls. The first two weren't originally called Super Bowls but are now considered that way.

And the "modern" NFL is vastly different than Graham's era, can't really compare his championships to Brady's, Aikmans, etc.

Imo...
In other words you’re framing the narrative to fit your opinion because those still count as championships.

And every era is different. Salary Cap era is different from previous one. We could separate these as well. Just saying..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All you can be is the greatest of your era. Comparing eras is always a narrow path to go down.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I feel honored and really lazy to have sat and watched every swing of all 4 days of it.

Dang the person who invented the live coverage of the 'featured group of the day'! I never felt bad about sitting on my butt to watch the Masters when the coverage started @ 3pm EST. Now, I can watch starting @ 8am EST and not stop until the last group gets into the house. So, don't feel bad my friend as I was right there with you! :p

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In other words you’re framing the narrative because those still count as championships.

And every era is different. Salary Cap era is different from previous one. We could separate these as well.

Exactly. But in Graham's last year, 1955, there were only 12 teams in the NFL. There were 28 even in 1989, 32 now. A much different era than now, the cap changes things as to how many players you can keep, but the game is played much differently now than in the 1950's. The salary cap era isn't, imho, that much different overall than just before the c

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Only 3 in the NFL, the other 4 were in the old AAFC, an entirely different league, hard enough to compare eras, to compare leagues is impossible. I'm confining the discussion to NFL titles...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
All you can be is the greatest of your era. Comparing eras is always a narrow path to go down.

Oh I agree totally. But if you look up "List of men's major championships winning golfers", they don't list them by era, just total wins...

Status
Not open for further replies.