Timetable on negotiation with Prescott

Chasing6

Reaction score
If it wasn't for Browns being stupid and giving Watson that contract, Dak would be the highest paid this coming season.
Come on. Dak signed a 4 year $160M contract.

Do the math. That is $40M a year. If GM Jerry wants to back load it or restructure it, that is on him. Not Dak.

Verdict

Reaction score
But I get that, and it's performance and market value that all factor in. He just had an MVP season why would he take less, ok we loss in the playoffs that's one game vs an entire season!!?? He's getting paid!!
Yes, the odds are he will get paid by some team. It may or may not be the Cowboys.

Russell Wilson also “got paid”. Do you think that the Seahawks are glad it wasn’t them that paid Wilson?

Dak is a little bit earlier in the curve than Wilson was but Dak also has never been as successful as Wilson in the playoffs.

I could see an argument of keeping Dak at a reasonable cap hit. I can also see an argument for moving on from Dak regardless of how cheap he might sign. But I see the worst case scenario as paying Dak a market setting deal just because he is next in line. That’s a non-starter from my point of view.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But I get that, and it's performance and market value that all factor in. He just had an MVP season why would he take less, ok we loss in the playoffs that's one game vs an entire season!!?? He's getting paid!!
I am still not following taking less.

The media does not get to make up the market. The media for the most part is useless. The medias job went from reporting the news to giving their opinions. That includes sports media

The only thing the media is good at reporting, is that they have an unverified rumor.(Opinion)

Comparing what the last QB got paid, what is his win/loss record, or how many yards, etc, and so on is dumb. Again football is the ultimate team sport. A lot of factors go into a QB's performance. So they are not easily comparable as much as fans like to think they are.

It is like buying a house. The market is what someone is willing to buy it at that time. If you are in love with the house and have to have it then you over pay. If it is the only house left on the market in the neighborhood you like then over pay.

If you can't come to terms then play it out until next year. It's a gamble. Markets change. Could go up or down. Could be a lot more buyers next year. Then everyone will know exactly what the true market really is. Then they can agree or agree to disagree.

Here is GM Jethro's problem.

When you are looking for a house that is ready to move into, it sucks having to wait one, two, or more years for one to be built. Especially when you don't know the craftsmanship of the Home Builder.

The last thing Jerry wants is to be homeless.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
It may come down to being a lot like the Garrett situation. Jerry doesn’t want it to end but the fans are exhausted by it. Can’t sell it anymore.

Really, Jerry would have kept Garrett if he could have gotten away with it.

I still can’t imagine a scenario under which they let Prescott walk. They will get a slight discount and act as if they won it all and great times are ahead. With like three consecutive 1975 drafts, they sure are.

Even if Dak doesn’t play a snap all season and Lance plays extremely well, guess what? You’ve gotta pay Lance immediately.

That’s why it’s not at all the same as using a 4th this year or last on a QB.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yes, the odds are he will get paid by some team. It may or may not be the Cowboys.

Russell Wilson also “got paid”. Do you think that the Seahawks are glad it wasn’t them that paid Wilson?

Dak is a little bit earlier in the curve than Wilson was but Dak also has never been as successful as Wilson in the playoffs.

I could see an argument of keeping Dak at a reasonable cap hit. I can also see an argument for moving on from Dak regardless of how cheap he might sign. But I see the worst case scenario as paying Dak a market setting deal just because he is next in line. That’s a non-starter from my point of view.
Oh just so we know I'm not in on him being paid, I think he's had enough time to prove himself here

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I am still not following taking less.

The media does not get to make up the market. The media for the most part is useless. The medias job went from reporting the news to giving their opinions. That includes sports media

The only thing the media is good at reporting, is that they have an unverified rumor.(Opinion)

Comparing what the last QB got paid, what is his win/loss record, or how many yards, etc, and so on is dumb. Again football is the ultimate team sport. A lot of factors go into a QB's performance. So they are not easily comparable as much as fans like to think they are.

It is like buying a house. The market is what someone is willing to buy it at that time. If you are in love with the house and have to have it then you over pay. If it is the only house left on the market in the neighborhood you like then over pay.

If you can't come to terms then play it out until next year. It's a gamble. Markets change. Could go up or down. Could be a lot more buyers next year. Then everyone will know exactly what the true market really is. Then they can agree or agree to disagree.

Here is GM Jethro's problem.

When you are looking for a house that is ready to move into, it sucks having to wait one, two, or more years for one to be built. Especially when you don't know the craftsmanship of the Home Builder.

The last thing Jerry wants is to be homeless.
Lol lol you really summed that up beautifully lol I love it

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lol lol you really summed that up beautifully lol I love it
Let's say we do not draft a QB this year. We end up deciding to let Dak walk and we want to resign Trey Lance. Keep in mind Rush is a free agent as well next year. So we will have no QB under contract.

So who is holding the cards in this scenario?

Homeless GM Jethro or Trance and his agent?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Let's say we do not draft a QB this year. We end up deciding to let Dak walk and we want to resign Trey Lance. Keep in mind Rush is a free agent as well next year. So we will have no QB under contract.

Every agent of a quarterback with a free agent quarterback for a client would like to be dealt some cards at the end of the season.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes, but in more detail description what it says about our owners priorities and his evaluation where he sees this team with Prescott.
Are you asking me to clarify/elaborate? Naive? Wishful thinking? I would have a really hard time trying to justify why the team would wait and then still set the market and back up the Brinks truck.

Thats in part why I don’t believe Dak gets an extension from the Cowboys. If the Cowboys had faith in Dak they would have extended Dak before now.

I believe that either Dak gets traded or he plays out his deal and walks in free agency. As of right now I would say it’s 70 percent chance or more that Dak is no longer a Cowboy in 2025.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

I'm glad you said this so we're cheap right, it'll be his fifth year option right? Do we want to pay him that, or do we look for a rookie

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I'm glad you said this so we're cheap right, it'll be his fifth year option right? Do we want to pay him that, or do we look for a rookie
They can elect not to pick up the fifth year option and subsequently sign him to a contract at a reasonable amount. However, his agent, like Dak’s, will advise him the negotiations begin after he’s a UFA. Nothing to lose.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Deadline is May 2nd this year and Jerry has already said he is not picking it up.

However, in the scenario I gave above his agent would be in the driver seat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you asking me to clarify/elaborate? Naive? Wishful thinking? I would have a really hard time trying to justify why the team would wait and then still set the market and back up the Brinks truck.

Thats in part why I don’t believe Dak gets an extension from the Cowboys. If the Cowboys had faith in Dak they would have extended Dak before now.

I believe that either Dak gets traded or he plays out his deal and walks in free agency. As of right now I would say it’s 70 percent chance or more that Dak is no longer a Cowboy in 2025.
I think it’s fairly obvious why the team is waiting. It’s all about playing to public perception. They don’t want to look too anxious to meet his demands.

If there’s not a deal done by the beginning of the season then it’s likely he’s done here.

But all indications from both camps is their intention to get a deal done. They’re just no sense of urgency now.

conner01

Reaction score
Yea I agree. I don't really care about the money. Dak has choked in the last 2 playoff games. This last one he didn't even show up. I know the whole team didn't but he's supposed to be the leader. Don't trust him. Time to move on to somebody else and hope he can do better. I doubt he does but we have to try.
I get that and that’s an actual plan. Jerry doesn’t seem to have a plan. Either sign him or move on. If I’m moving on I’m dumping some 3rd years guys for picks that we can use to get a Qb next year. If I’m keeping him I’m building around him. It just appears Jerry had no plan at all

conner01

Reaction score
It’s entirely possible what he’s doing or not doing in offseason speaks to what he’s thinking.
I wish I could figure out his plan. If you are letting Dak walk you have to make moves to add picks to get in position to replace him next year. My fear is Jerry has no plan and is just blowing in the wind

Chasing6

Reaction score
I get that and that’s an actual plan. Jerry doesn’t seem to have a plan. Either sign him or move on. If I’m moving on I’m dumping some 3rd years guys for picks that we can use to get a Qb next year. If I’m keeping him I’m building around him. It just appears Jerry had no plan at all
Jerry and fixing the Cowboys do not belong in the same paragraph.