Timetable on negotiation with Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You've got as much inside info as I do or any Cowboy fan.
Before you know it, you will tell us you are Jerry's lost long son and speak to him regularly.
DAK IS ROAD-KILL.............LIVE IT BABY and remember he had tons of chances and fell flat on his Deer in the Headlights @@@!!!!!
Actually the insight I’m referring to is that from those closet to the Cowboys situation , the local beat writers . And that access is available to everyone who reads and watches the local media and press.

This latest collaboration is from a local beat writer for the newspaper we are unable to link or quote. He’s the most notable and respected in DFW area. For a minimal fee everyone can have access online if they don’t receive a local delivery of the paper.

Their speculation clearly stated there is the possibility the Cowboys are prepared to walk away from Prescott. And added that if a resigning is done we should expect it by the beginning of the season.

Verdict

Reaction score
So if Jethro ends up resigning Dak despite your beliefs what will that tell you?
I think that should depend on the number Dak signs for. If it’s another record setting deal then in my humble opinion, that would be the least desirable outcome.

At some point the Cowboys must stop overpaying players (based on cap hit) vs production. Logic must come into play at some point.

Paying to keep the very best QB is a very different proposition than the best guard or safety. Also overpaying any talent is not advisable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think that should depend on the number Dak signs for. If it’s another record setting deal then in my humble opinion, that would be the least desirable outcome.

At some point the Cowboys must stop overpaying players (based on cap hit) vs production. Logic must come into play at some point.

Paying to keep the very best QB is a very different proposition than the best guard or safety. Also overpaying any talent is not advisable.
And if Jethro caves in paying Prescott market price or even close to it what will that tell you ?

ICP

Reaction score
There’s always the possibility Prescott is asking for too much closer to 60 mil per . We don’t really know as no offers or demands have been disclosed .

But we do know what the current market price is , 50-55 mil per. Which might be where the Cowboys are willing to pay.

The negotiations will heat up in training camp. I look for a last minute under the bell deal to be done. Otherwise the Jones are basically throwing this season out the window with their HC and QB heading out.
Not to mention the dead cap hit they will still be stuck with next year even if he is gone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd rather turn it around and focus, as we did in 2016, around the O-Line and running game which takes pressure and helps the QB. A lot of finding a franchise QB is the offense into which he's thrust into.
The book has been written on Dak, the league knows where he struggles....there's no point in hoping that he'll overcome his struggles.
Indeed, we can't afford the "strong supporting cast" when he's accounting for 20%+ of the CAP.
What will it tell you about Jethro if they cave in paying Prescott close to market price ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is my problem with Dak. I'm not paying top money for a QB that is not elite. I wouldn't give him Burrow money. What did Rush go, 5-1? Dallas can probably win 10-11 games with Rush or Mayfield and lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. Dallas doesn't need to pay 55M a year to do that. Jerry is probably weighing the loss in jersey sales to what he has to pay Dak for the same results.
What will it tell you about our ownership and their agendas if they end up caving in to Prescott?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

But I get that, and it's performance and market value that all factor in. He just had an MVP season why would he take less, ok we loss in the playoffs that's one game vs an entire season!!?? He's getting paid!!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What will it tell you about our ownership and their agendas if they end up caving in to Prescott?
The owners collectively set the market price for every player/position. Jerry isn’t “caving” if he pays what he has to pay for a particular player. Owners create their own reality and then deal with it. Fans create fantastical scenarios to deal with their disappointment. It’s the players’ fault for their disappointment even though the guys that literally own the game are not ultimately held responsible.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What will it tell you about Jethro if they cave in paying Prescott close to market price ?
It wont surprise me, he cant evaluate talent (hence, just Liking (paying) our Own).

I dont get how outright fans of giving Dak and the market price contract then go on at Jerry being a bad GM. Capitulating in the 1st contract negotiation was a bad decision, doubling down and paying him market price when he needs too much CAP Help is dreadful.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yep, the face of disbelief at the end of the GB game was a sudden realisation that we aren't close to where we wanted to be. We weren't a tweak away from being serious contenders: rushing, run defense, a QB who struggles when behind and a Blueprint which good defenses can strangle any offense we care to show.
Indeed, Jerry is probably in panic mode, similar to Dak when facing a deficit....the problem is how problems get compounded when made in such circumstances.
Probably the same disbelief the Bills had when they got crushed by Dallas in the SB. They had to know they were absolute pretenders. How do you get crushed like that. Good teams dont fall apart in big games like the Cowboys do.

conner01

Reaction score
There’s always the possibility Prescott is asking for too much closer to 60 mil per . We don’t really know as no offers or demands have been disclosed .

But we do know what the current market price is , 50-55 mil per. Which might be where the Cowboys are willing to pay.

The negotiations will heat up in training camp. I look for a last minute under the bell deal to be done. Otherwise the Jones are basically throwing this season out the window with their HC and QB heading out.
To me the question isn’t about 50 or 55 even 60. Is he your future to me is the question. If he’s the guy you want the next 5 years then you sign him. If not you do everything different as in blow it up and start over. Move on from guys in their last year while they have value and rebuild with young talent while adding the picks you will need to get a QB
I don’t have a clue what Jerry is thinking because it feels like we are not doing anything to rebuild or add talent for the future. I don’t get his off season plan myself

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To me the question isn’t about 50 or 55 even 60. Is he your future to me is the question. If he’s the guy you want the next 5 years then you sign him. If not you do everything different as in blow it up and start over. Move on from guys in their last year while they have value and rebuild with young talent while adding the picks you will need to get a QB
I don’t have a clue what Jerry is thinking because it feels like we are not doing anything to rebuild or add talent for the future. I don’t get his off season plan myself
It’s entirely possible what he’s doing or not doing in offseason speaks to what he’s thinking.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The question we have to probably ask is do we think our inept FO can find our next Franchise QB quickly. And how long will it take them to rebuild . Will our existing talent be wasted while looking for another QB.

Or are we better offer attempting to continue trying to build around a QB who can at least lead us to the playoffs despite the disappointing and frustrating endings. And keep hoping he might finally break thru while trying to surround him with a stronger supporting cast.

I have a hunch which direction our ownership will go.
It's the reasonable view.

bandfan

Reaction score
This close to the draft I can't imagine any reason to make any more player decisions before hand. The draft is too much of an unknown and can go more ways than can be planned for in advance. So just hold yer cards for the time being.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What's the possibility that Dallas and Dak have already agreed upon some basic parameters? That Dak and Dallas already know what the market will bear and have the numbers? But what's the possibility that Dallas doesn't want to push more money forward to save money now, knowing that they will soon be doing the same thing with Lamb and Parsons? Maybe Dallas wants to have an agreement, but also wants Dak to play out this year as the contract is currently in order to get a little ahead of the curve of money they might owe him long after he's gone.