Timmy Jernigan wants to be a cowboy

jujoboys

Reaction score
@TimmyJernigan: Speechless man... @dallascowboys http://t.co/eZCq0Lowdv

Also his twitter picture is him in a cowboys tee. Check out the link and his avatar

I was looking at the mock draft on SBNation.com and they have us taking Kony Ealy at #16 but what was interesting is that Timmy Jernigan was picked at #46 right ahead of our #47 pick. I wonder if Dallas is thinking they could possibly get him with the 2nd round pick?

Fredd

Reaction score
not a big Jernigan fan at #16....later? perhaps, his value would be better late in the first or after....I don't remember a draft where the first round is largely up in the air as whole like this one...it makes it exciting

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
My least favorite of the many projected prospects for Dallas at 16

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm okay with Jernigan as long as they know what they are getting into. You still have to put pass rushers around him. I just don't get why they'd pass on Floyd but take Jernigan the following year. Sharrif is a better athlete with better size. I'd still put Floyd over Ealy on my list though.

ddh33

Reaction score
I also see him as a nose, but I think people are making way too big of a deal out of that. Booger MacFarland was a nose in Tampa, but he was a stud...and a first round pick, as I recall.

The big thing about drafting in the first is that Dallas will want a guy who can play on third down - the money down. If they believe Jernigan can do that, they'll pull the trigger. If they believe they'll get more out of someone else, they will go a different route. But it won't be simply because this guy was a "1" tech.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm okay with Jernigan as long as they know what they are getting into. You still have to put pass rushers around him. I just don't get why they'd pass on Floyd but take Jernigan the following year. Sharrif is a better athlete with better size. I'd still put Floyd over Ealy on my list though.

I get it because when you watched their college tape, you had multiple years of competant to dominant DT play with Jernigan while Floyd looked like an overgrown pop warner kid.

Floyd had no moves and no idea how to use his hands to disengage blockers. He also seemed to have no awareness of what was going around him. He liked to hit and would bounce around out there with effort but he never accomplished anything.

Jernigan on the other hand would draw double and triple teams constantly because he was impossible to block with one guy. He literally would have OG and OC fixate on him and freed up guys like Smith to go make plays running free to the football. That is what Carter and Lee desperately need.

Floyd had a faster 40 and a few inches on his bj. That is all he had over Jernigan coming out.

silver

Reaction score
How does Jernigan compare to Star Lotulelei? Lotulelei had a good rookie season leading the league in run stop percentage among DTs, but also had a very good defensive line with Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson having 26 sacks between them. If Jernigan can command double teams and stop the run as well as Lotulelei, I am all for selecting him at 16. Thats IF he is as good.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
How does Jernigan compare to Star Lotulelei? Lotulelei had a good rookie season leading the league in run stop percentage among DTs, but also had a very good defensive line with Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson having 26 sacks between them. If Jernigan can command double teams and stop the run as well as Lotulelei, I am all for selecting him at 16. Thats IF he is as good.

Lotuleiei was tremendously powerful and can hold the point of attack like a man amongst boys. Jernigan will give ground to double teams that Star would hold the point.

OTOH, Jernigan gets off blocks better than anyone that I have seen in a long time. You cannot keep your hands on him by yourself. I do think Jernigan's quickness is underrated too. If you ask him to attack a gap and get on the blockers shoulder he can get them turned with his burst upfield.

Watching him play, it is hard to project how he will do. He was asked to 2 gap and hold the poa a lot and he would hesitate because if it was a run, he was sure to get a combo block and/or a fullback so he would hesitate. I think it is the number one reason why people are down on him. That hesitation off the line. To me, he is clearly peaking to see where they are going to attack him from.

He is not going to be asked to do that in Dallas. If they put him at that cocked nose and have him attack the OC then he will excel I think because he would abuse OC over and again in college. It will get him attention from the neighboring guard on running plays and that will free up our LB which Hayden never did and we desperately need.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why is he on the screen? Or is that shopped?
All of the "official" visits get that treatment.

Here is Will Clarke's:

BlSDeaFCQAA9Pw9.jpg

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I get it because when you watched their college tape, you had multiple years of competant to dominant DT play with Jernigan while Floyd looked like an overgrown pop warner kid.

Floyd had no moves and no idea how to use his hands to disengage blockers. He also seemed to have no awareness of what was going around him. He liked to hit and would bounce around out there with effort but he never accomplished anything.

Jernigan on the other hand would draw double and triple teams constantly because he was impossible to block with one guy. He literally would have OG and OC fixate on him and freed up guys like Smith to go make plays running free to the football. That is what Carter and Lee desperately need.

Floyd had a faster 40 and a few inches on his bj. That is all he had over Jernigan coming out.

An honest and fair assessment of both prospects with no biases, I'm sure.

My point wasn't to compare the two. My point was to compare the teams approach to the draft and the excuses they made last year. No matter how you slice it, Jernigan is a 1 tech and the team has repeatedly said they don't value the position - either because they really think that, or as justification for the war room mixup.

For the record, I thought Floyd was one of the most overhyped first rounders last year but he played alright.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
An honest and fair assessment of both prospects with no biases, I'm sure.

My point wasn't to compare the two. My point was to compare the teams approach to the draft and the excuses they made last year. No matter how you slice it, Jernigan is a 1 tech and the team has repeatedly said they don't value the position - either because they really think that, or as justification for the war room mixup.

It is a mixed bag. Kiffin took Anthony McFarland as a one-tech. It just depends.

I think last year was a justification, and you will not see philosophic consistency mainly because they are more desperate for DL right now.

Last year, the vaunted quartet of Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher, Tyrone Crawford and Ben Bass were going to wreck havoc, so it was easier to talk about short arms and lack of quick twitch. Now with Terrell McClain, Frank Kearse and Golden Cock set to battle it out for NT duties, you might see a sudden change of philosophy.