Timmy Jernigan wants to be a cowboy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
An honest and fair assessment of both prospects with no biases, I'm sure.

My point wasn't to compare the two. My point was to compare the teams approach to the draft and the excuses they made last year. No matter how you slice it, Jernigan is a 1 tech and the team has repeatedly said they don't value the position - either because they really think that, or as justification for the war room mixup.

For the record, I thought Floyd was one of the most overhyped first rounders last year but he played alright.

I don't think the team says it as much as Broaddus does.

dbonham

Reaction score
Ruling out 1 tech in the 1st is stupid dogma. It's just something they said to justify the scouts getting overruled on Floyd.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Ruling out 1 tech in the 1st is stupid dogma. It's just something they said to justify the scouts getting overruled on Floyd.

Yes, because I'm sure the Cowboys brass cares so much about the opinions of fans in websites that they would make up stories.

Again, the Cowboys never said they passed on Floyd because he is a "one-tech"; rather, they passed because he is a NT, i.e. he has no pass rushing ability whatsoever.

Jernigan is not a "1-tech," he is a versatile lineman who would like start at the 1- tech for us, but he can play any position. There's a huge difference between that and a guy who is just a pure run-stuffing 1-tech.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Broaddus never really quantifies but to be specific, he would play the cocked nose tackle and attack the gap to either side of the center and occupy blockers. That is close to what he was doing often at Florida State, which was drawing blockers inside for their blitz.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
I could live with TJ at 16. I think he compliments Melton nicely. I would break something valuable however if Ealy is the choice anywhere near that spot.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Jernigan would probably fit next to Melton better than Donald and he would most likely be much more likely to be able to fit a different scheme if JG and Marinelli and all the rest get the axe after this year. So, personally, I'd be fine with the pick. That being said, I'd MUCH rather have Donald.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Frankly, I think Jernigan could play either the 1T or 3T. With Melton, he likely would be a 1T, but in a heavy package where they wanted a little more size or when Melton needed a breather, I could see Jernigan moving over to the 3T with McClain or Hayden coming in at the 1.

With DT's, they can easily play both spots. Marinelli plans on having a rotation along the line, and my bet is that if they take Jernigan, they expect him to play both spots. He certainly could play the 3... just not as good as Donald, IMO.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Sure you'd like to see DT Donald or DE Barr @ 16 but if they are gone, I'm looking for the LB Mosley then DT Jernigan.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jernigan was more productive than Floyd. Personally I like that Dallas got Frederick and passed on Floyd but it would have no bearing what so ever in terms of taking Jernigan.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Maybe so and maybe not. What you can't argue with is that the team had him rated 5th on their board and preferred dropping to the bottom of the round over taking him. So where's Jernigan on their board this year to make him worthy of 16 overall? 3rd? 1st?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Maybe so and maybe not. What you can't argue with is that the team had him rated 5th on their board and preferred dropping to the bottom of the round over taking him. So where's Jernigan on their board this year to make him worthy of 16 overall? 3rd? 1st?

I see the logic behind what you're saying, but if you're looking for continuity from one draft to another, I don't think you'll find much of it.

Just the fact that last year they *thought* they were set along the DL and this year it is in a dire situation is enough to make them look at the DL picks differently.

From what I gather, the disconnect you're looking for is that last year the Cowboys should never have had Floyd ranked as the 5th best player.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Whatever the screw up with Floyd and their board was, it's unrelated to Jernigan as a prospect. We're obviously considering adding him somewhere between 16 and 47. It doesn't really matter what we thought of Floyd last year.

Alexander also accidentally backed into a point in that the DL rotation this season is very different from what it was last year. If we can get into positions where DL is the BPA, we're going to try to do it. There are a ton of ways where a player like Jernigan could fit into that equation.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
From what I gather, the disconnect you're looking for is that last year the Cowboys should never have had Floyd ranked as the 5th best player.

I don't disagree.

Whatever the screw up with Floyd and their board was, it's unrelated to Jernigan as a prospect. We're obviously considering adding him somewhere between 16 and 47. It doesn't really matter what we thought of Floyd last year.

Alexander also accidentally backed into a point in that the DL rotation this season is very different from what it was last year. If we can get into positions where DL is the BPA, we're going to try to do it. There are a ton of ways where a player like Jernigan could fit into that equation.

Jernigan isn't my concern, he is a great prospect if you are looking for and value a 1 tech.

The Cowboys draft methodology is my concern. I don't see how our draft strategy last year is completely unrelated to this year. If it wildly swings from one season to the next, that would also explain a lot.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagree.

Jernigan isn't my concern, he is a great prospect if you are looking for and value a 1 tech.

The Cowboys draft methodology is my concern. I don't see how our draft strategy last year is completely unrelated to this year. If it wildly swings from one season to the next, that would also explain a lot.

Maybe. We definitely spit the bit on Floyd's availability in the first round last year. That was discussed to death, though, and I don't see how it relates again to another player this year just because they're both DLs. Sure, it's possible we haven't addressed whatever happened with the draft prep last season. But I'd say it's a lot more likely that we screwed up our evaluation on that particular player for the new system (and I still don't understand how that can happen) than that we've got a methodology that swings wildly from one season to the next.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what an indication of a wildly-singing methodology might look like. It's pretty clear that we've tried our best to get in position under Garrett to match our BPA with need in the first round (Smith, Claiborne Frederick). In the second and third rounds, we've been looking for guys who can potentially start for us during their first contracts, even if not an obvious need (Carter, Murray, Crawford, Wilber, Escobar, Williams, Wilcox). After that, we're looking for role players and STers who might surprise us (eg: Chapas, Harris, Johnson, Cole, Holloman). We look for smarter players, team captains, and players who are passionate about football, if we can find them.

I don't think our methodology has changed, at all, from season to season. I think we just blew it on a player we didn't think would slide to us last season, and then, after obvious confusion in the draft room, we did the right thing and stuck with our plan to get the last of the available interior linemen there in the first round.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Maybe. We definitely spit the bit on Floyd's availability in the first round last year. That was discussed to death, though, and I don't see how it relates again to another player this year just because they're both DLs. Sure, it's possible we haven't addressed whatever happened with the draft prep last season. But I'd say it's a lot more likely that we screwed up our evaluation on that particular player for the new system (and I still don't understand how that can happen) than that we've got a methodology that swings wildly from one season to the next.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what an indication of a wildly-singing methodology might look like. It's pretty clear that we've tried our best to get in position under Garrett to match our BPA with need in the first round (Smith, Claiborne Frederick). In the second and third rounds, we've been looking for guys who can potentially start for us during their first contracts, even if not an obvious need (Carter, Murray, Crawford, Wilber, Escobar, Williams, Wilcox). After that, we're looking for role players and STers who might surprise us (eg: Chapas, Harris, Johnson, Cole, Holloman). We look for smarter players, team captains, and players who are passionate about football, if we can find them.

I don't think our methodology has changed, at all, from season to season. I think we just blew it on a player we didn't think would slide to us last season, and then, after obvious confusion in the draft room, we did the right thing and stuck with our plan to get the last of the available interior linemen there in the first round.

It relates not because they are both DL's, but because they are both 1-Techniques. I am, for example, not concerned about the team's view on Aaron Donald, because he doesn't play the same position as Jernigan, despite their both being interior DL.

For what it's worth, I think Garrett is one of several voices in that draft room. I don't think he has as big a role in crafting the draft strategy as one might imagine. Even the mighty Bill Parcell's was overruled in 2005.

I also never said our methodology was changing or had changed, that was the point when I said why would our view of 1-tech change drastically between last year and this year.

One thing that's been relatively consistent is that the team undervalues non-flashy players like interior defensive and offensive linemen. Two 1st round linemen in 3 years is a bloody miracle, even if they only took Frederick because he was the "last of the mohicans".

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It relates not because they are both DL's, but because they are both 1-Techniques. I am, for example, not concerned about the team's view on Aaron Donald, because he doesn't play the same position as Jernigan, despite their both being interior DL.

For what it's worth, I think Garrett is one of several voices in that draft room. I don't think he has as big a role in crafting the draft strategy as one might imagine. Even the mighty Bill Parcell's was overruled in 2005.

I also never said our methodology was changing or had changed, that was the point when I said why would our view of 1-tech change drastically between last year and this year.

One thing that's been relatively consistent is that the team undervalues non-flashy players like interior defensive and offensive linemen. Two 1st round linemen in 3 years is a bloody miracle, even if they only took Frederick because he was the "last of the mohicans".

They undervalue OGs, because you can get them from a pool of college OGs, college OTs, and small school OLs who just need time to develop physically. It's a supply/demand issue, and the reason why a lot of teams--not just Dallas--develop players at those positions from the middle and late rounds and the bottom of their rosters.

As to the 1-tech issue, it's tough to say how we're viewing Jernigan's possible role, and it's tougher yet to say whether or not the issue with Floyd was with his position or with the player, himself.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
They undervalue OGs, because you can get them from a pool of college OGs, college OTs, and small school OLs who just need time to develop physically. It's a supply/demand issue, and the reason why a lot of teams--not just Dallas--develop players at those positions from the middle and late rounds and the bottom of their rosters.

As to the 1-tech issue, it's tough to say how we're viewing Jernigan's possible role, and it's tougher yet to say whether or not the issue with Floyd was with his position or with the player, himself.

Yeah, I'm not going to get into what the team thinks of interior linemen, history speaks for itself on that one.

Not going to rehash Floyd either, as I said - what I'm talking about isn't Floyd vs Jernigan, it's the confused methodology and it goes even beyond the draft. The core of this franchise harbors a fascination with sizzle over steak, they prove it over and over. And when they finally do decide to order steak, they often can't tell sirloin from flank.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not going to get into what the team thinks of interior linemen, history speaks for itself on that one.

Not going to rehash Floyd either, as I said - what I'm talking about isn't Floyd vs Jernigan, it's the confused methodology and it goes even beyond the draft. The core of this franchise harbors a fascination with sizzle over steak, they prove it over and over. And when they finally do decide to order steak, they often can't tell sirloin from flank.

I don't know if I would call Frederick sizzle he is steak. I still think the major run on OL had a lot to do with it. It was unexpected with a record high 1st rd picks of OL players.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't know if I would call Frederick sizzle he is steak. I still think the major run on OL had a lot to do with it. It was unexpected with a record high 1st rd picks of OL players.

I agree. Again, I'm not talking about one draft - I mean historically what we've seen from the front office.