Titans trade #1 pick to Rams

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't think their are hundreds of thousands of Cal fans peppered throughout California, you are missing something.

Similar to the Cowboys grabbing a QB from Lubbock, it's going to sell tickets. There's no doubt about it. People will absolutely make that drive to see someone from their alma mater play.

SoCal fans aren't going to care about Goff being from Cal. It might be more of a negative than a positive, even, but most likely, it just doesn't matter at all. And Cal's biggest rival is also a California team, too, don't forget.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
SoCal fans aren't going to care about Goff being from Cal. It might be more of a negative than a positive, even, but most likely, it just doesn't matter at all. And Cal's biggest rival is also a California team, too, don't forget.

California has just as many, if not more transient fans than Texas. There are easily tens of thousands of Cal fans down there. I guarantee it is going to sell tickets. It isn't going to sell-out the stadium by itself, but it will sell a lot of tickets.

Sydla

Reaction score
California has just as many, if not more transient fans than Texas. There are easily tens of thousands of Cal fans down there. I guarantee it is going to sell tickets. It isn't going to sell-out the stadium by itself, but it will sell a lot of tickets.

Having a close friend who is a Cal grad, I can tell you that you aren't quite accurate.

One, most Cal grads aren't really NFL fans. In general, they aren't great sports fans.

Two, if Cal fans in LA are fans of other teams such as the 49ers, they likely aren't going to buy tickets to a Rams game (a rival mind you) just to see Jared Goff play.

The only Cal fans who will buy tickets to Rams games are those who want to be Rams fans. That's it.

So if the Rams use tickets sold as solid factor in deciding which QB they should draft, they are dumber than I could ever imagine.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think they're going Wentz, anyway, so it's not going to matter. I don't care enough to dig into it all that much, but as far as Californians go, Cal alumns are about the only ones who'd care at all, and that's not really any different from what would happen with alumni from any other big school if their player were taken. I can't imagine it was ever even a minor factor in the decision making process, but you never know.

Jake0

Reaction score
I don't think a team in LA is gonna have a problem selling out the stadium. Being successful matters more than some local dude bringing in a few college alumni.

Plankton

Reaction score
I think they're going Wentz, anyway, so it's not going to matter. I don't care enough to dig into it all that much, but as far as Californians go, Cal alumns are about the only ones who'd care at all, and that's not really any different from what would happen with alumni from any other big school if their player were taken. I can't imagine it was ever even a minor factor in the decision making process, but you never know.

Apparently, there's a huge North Dakota State alumni base in the greater LA area....

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Having a close friend who is a Cal grad, I can tell you that you aren't quite accurate.

One, most Cal grads aren't really NFL fans. In general, they aren't great sports fans.

Two, if Cal fans in LA are fans of other teams such as the 49ers, they likely aren't going to buy tickets to a Rams game (a rival mind you) just to see Jared Goff play.

The only Cal fans who will buy tickets to Rams games are those who want to be Rams fans. That's it.

So if the Rams use tickets sold as solid factor in deciding which QB they should draft, they are dumber than I could ever imagine.

I am speaking to my friend who is a USC grad whose wife is a Cal grad and he says they're already going crazy thinking it's for Goff and talking about buying a block of season tickets. So yeah, sounds pretty accurate to me.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

You're right. Why would grabbing the attention of Cal grads be better than grabbing the attention of Pitt grads? That doesn't make any sense. 400 miles is jack squat.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently, there's a huge North Dakota State alumni base in the greater LA area....

Lol! I typed out that quip, and then deleted it becasue I didn't want to snark texbum here, but, yeah. Thundar!

At least LA fans will probably get some AC/DC to listen to before games. That will probably pack in more people than the NDSU connection.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am speaking to my friend who is a USC grad whose wife is a Cal grad and he says they're already going crazy thinking it's for Goff and talking about buying a block of season tickets. So yeah, sounds pretty accurate to me.

Where do they live? And are they likely to be fans of the Rams regardless of whether Goff goes there or not?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
My friend and his wife live in Thousand Oaks. Not sure about the Cal alumn he's talking to. He's actually a 9ers fan. She's the one pushing for them to go in for a block of tickets.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. Why would grabbing the attention of Cal grads be better than grabbing the attention of Pitt grads? That doesn't make any sense. 400 miles is jack squat.

Are we talking about transplants who have moved to SoCal? If so, the distance is irrelevant once you've transplanted. If you're thinking people are going to drive from Norcal to watch the Rams play, that's just not going to happen.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Dream scenario:

1) Elliott at #4. But but but we just signed Morris. Rebuttal: not a 3 down back; only 2-year deal. He's a place holder for Elliott. Cut Run DMC; cost: about $100K. Depth chart: Elliott, Morris, Dunbar. 2014 season, remixed.

2) Trade back into first round and nab Lynch. Romo's heir carries a clipboard for two years then takes over for the next decade.

Jake0

Reaction score

Nice sample size of 1 family. They'd sell out of the season tickets regardless of who they took. It's a football team in LA in their 1st year back.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Are we talking about transplants who have moved to SoCal? If so, the distance is irrelevant once you've transplanted. If you're thinking people are going to drive from Norcal to watch the Rams play, that's just not going to happen.

We are talking about transplants and people willing to travel for the games.

Sydla

Reaction score
My friend and his wife live in Thousand Oaks. Not sure about the Cal alumn he's talking to. He's actually a 9ers fan. She's the one pushing for them to go in for a block of tickets.

Thousand Oaks is a LA suburb. So no duh they might be interested in getting tickets for the new NFL team being brought to LA.

Find me a Cal fan from Monterey that's going to buy tickets to Rams games, then maybe, I'll buy into your point.

As someone said, the Rams are going to have no trouble selling tickets in LA right from the jump even if they took Bosa #1.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
As they should.. A elite Corner prospect for 4 million dollars a year. That's crazy.

It's just not as impactful as getting a Carson Wentz would've been.

Maybe this gets us Nick Foles in a trade.

We thought the same thing about Claiborne....everyone thought best corner by far and he dropped into our laps. And then he was far from elite. A lot of people have serious and significant questions about Ramsey.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Nice sample size of 1 family. They'd sell out of the season tickets regardless of who they took. It's a football team in LA in their 1st year back.

Unfortunately I don't know every Cal alumn, living in Texas and all. Fortunately, it is a first hand validation of my own argument and it's not one family. Its a group of people wanting to buy a block of tickets, likely a row of tickets. The family I know just happen to be involved.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Thousand Oaks is a LA suburb. So no duh they might be interested in getting tickets for the new NFL team being brought to LA.

Find me a Cal fan from Monterey that's going to buy tickets to Rams games, then maybe, I'll buy into your point.

As someone said, the Rams are going to have no trouble selling tickets in LA right from the jump even if they took Bosa #1.

His wife is a Cal alumn and she is speaking with other Cal alumn about buying a block of tickets.