News: TLH: Is trading Dak Prescott a solution for the Dallas Cowboys?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't either, but I think agent and client could use a dose of reality during these 'negotiations'. I'd give them by blessing to see what they could get out there.

I'm confident that they'd shut up and make a deal with the Cowboys pretty quickly.

But this organization seldom, if ever has the guts to do that.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are doing that exact thing with the greatest quarterback of all time. With no tag at all.

Guts vs no guts.
Couldn't agree more.

HotDog37

Reaction score
Jerry definitely doesn't want to play poker with Kraft. Kraft would take his billions.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Nobody is trading 2 first round picks.

I’d be shocked if we could get 1 first round pick.

Dak is already terrible value by just paying him alone.. Imagine paying him and giving up a 1st rounder too?

There are potential Free Agents that are as good or better that won’t require the compensation that Dak is asking for.

This is why I would love love love it if Dallas let Dak test Free Agency... Lets see what his true market value is..

There is no way he would leave Dallas anyways.

Maybe we give up a mid round pic to unload Daks huge contract demands on another team, like NE.
Don't kill me, but the smart *** in me had to say it..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not when it comes to name guys, that's for sure. They caved with Lawrence, they caved with Elliott, they'll cave with Dak. And by trading a #1 pick, they forced themselves to cave in for Cooper as well.

Cap money will be gone as soon as they have it.
Agents start drooling when they see the Cowboys with cap money.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The problem with that is....other teams know how much Dak wants and will no be willing to give up premium picks.
exactly, they might want dak for his salary demands, but they will not give up the 2 1sts on top of that.
I dont think any qb would be worth that. That is why they have that in the rules, so a player tagged it is almost impossible to get out of it.

Jones boys waited too long to trade dak , just like they waited too long to dump garrett.
They need to sign him or let him walk , or tag him and see if he will hold out or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nobody is giving up a 1st round pick for Dak. He wants a big contract + you need a team loaded with talent to make him serviceable.
Yep

We’ve over evaluated his talent level. We just can’t get over the crush we had his Rookie season.

sulu1701

Reaction score
All of the talking heads keep saying that Dak needs to be paid according to market value, but imo market value is based on results, and of the 6 Qb's making 30 plus, 3 have SB rings, 2 have taken their teams to the SB, and 1 was having an MVP year when he got hurt, so where does Dak and his 1 playoff win fit into this scenario?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the Patriots are doing that exact thing with the greatest quarterback of all time. With no tag at all.

Guts vs no guts.

He's 43 years old. This is the first time they've had "guts" to do it so I'm not going to applaud their alleged courage.

KB1122

Reaction score
There are definitely some bad owners and front offices out there for whom acquiring Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott!!! and doing average would be better than they are doing.

morat1959

Reaction score
Nobody is trading 2 first round picks.

I’d be shocked if we could get 1 first round pick.

Dak is already terrible value by just paying him alone.. Imagine paying him and giving up a 1st rounder too?

There are potential Free Agents that are as good or better that won’t require the compensation that Dak is asking for.

This is why I would love love love it if Dallas let Dak test Free Agency... Lets see what his true market value is..

There is no way he would leave Dallas anyways.
This is exactly what we need to do!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Without this type of supporting cast Dak is a bottom feeder starter in the NFL.

We’ve already seen what he is without some of the Elite supporting cast.

Maybe some need to see him like in Miami or Cincinnati cause they seem to have been knocked over the head after his Rookie season and haven’t come to their senses yet.

morat1959

Reaction score
From reports from front office people around the league, Dallas thinks much more of Dak than the rest of the league. I think the Colts are an exception to that. The only place where Dak is in the same category as Rodgers and Brady is in the mind of delusional Dak fans that places their love for Dak above their fandom for the team.
Well said!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I know I don't want to hear "all-in" about Dak. "All-in" means something isn't right because you're forcing the issue. Rogers was in waiting behind Favre. Brady was in waiting behind Bledsoe. If you really want to win and you really want an excellent quarterback you just start bringing guys in at the same time developing what you DO have behind the starter (properly). You also draft quarterbacks and you do this until you find a very good one. In my opinion Dak is good and can be very good but he can also be VERY bad at the VERY worst times when you NEED to be good. A complete mindset change in quarterback/ drafting / development needs to happen. You DO NOT just pass out the anointing oil and overpay (and thus get locked in and in salary cap hell) for a passable (no pun) quarterback.

This ^^^^. This is the best post I've seen about QBs. The Cowboys drafted a QB in the first round one time, but then drafted another one in the late rounds, a man named Roger Staubach, the Heisman winner. Staubach had a 4-year commitment with the Navy, and who knows whether he would still be good at football after that, or if he would even choose to play? But he did, and was the best ever. The first-round pick had been Craig Morton, who was good, but not great. It gave the team the opportunity to upgrade. The 49ers in 1979 had a good quality QB in Steve DeBerg, but they had drafted this kid named Joe Montana in the 3rd round. Montana had performed well in college, but no one knew at the time how great he would become, hence, why he went in the 3rd round and not in the first.

There should be competition at quarterback. If Montana had turned out to be a dud, the 49ers would have still had DeBerg. If Staubach had turned out to be one of those great-in-college, lousy-in-the-NFL kind of QBs, they would have still had Morton.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Nobody is giving up a 1st round pick for Dak. He wants a big contract + you need a team loaded with talent to make him serviceable.

In a non exclusive franchise tag if a team signs him they owe 2 1st round picks. There isn't negotiating for that. That's why the Cowboys do that and hope a team goes for him. Also, reading the post here it appears to some posters he's worth 10 1st round picks.