To all those disappointed with LVE

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Dang bruh...u been busy in this thread!?! Lol.
Putting in that work family. I wish I could bring in my posts from the Cowboys boards that had me telling everyone carl lawson was the best DE in last year's draft. In LVE's game against oregon he missed more tackles than i would like to have seen. And they never had a lineman block him he ran free all game. I think LVE has the upside to be a hall of famer, but he is so weak at the point of attack and for his size he should be a wrecking ball. It worries me.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Putting in that work family. I wish I could bring in my posts from the Cowboys boards that had me telling everyone carl lawson was the best DE in last year's draft. In LVE's game against oregon he missed more tackles than i would like to have seen. And they never had a lineman block him he ran free all game. I think LVE has the upside to be a hall of famer, but he is so weak at the point of attack and for his size he should be a wrecking ball. It worries me.
Yeah. Frankly I see a bit of Jaylon in his game (tho Jaylon of last year did things to compensate for injury). His athleticism is a blessing and a curse. In other words, instead of taking on and shedding a blocker he tries to run around them or knife thru to make a play. His quickness allows for some of that to result in a good play but more often than not he gets himself in a bad position and misses the tackle or gets pancaked cuz he’s off balance. Hopefully it’s an inexperience issue (only one year starter) and can be corrected over time. Seems like a good kid and I’d love for him to develop into something special.

keysersoze

Reaction score
The real question is..... What will we do about finding a number one WR?

NotForLong

Reaction score
They're gonna run at this kid and rag doll him. He's a safety in a waffish thin linebackers body. He might turn into something and I'll gladly eat crow, but right now I hate it.
You actually just made the Urlacher comparison true

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
You say Bobby Carpenter when to a man the great majority of draftniks call it a lazy and uninformed comparison.

As far as opinions, I try not to get emotionally invested in the players. I try to look at the facts and stick to those. I don't sit back and write a manifesto like you do, going all in or out on a player and then having to eat crow when things go differently. I have plenty of mistakes and in most cases they come down to a matter of heart, not skill.

The entire board understands who Bobby Carpenter was. A guy with some skills as a collegiate, but when it came to the pros he could not transcend. His day in the sun was the.day he intercepted Romo several times and for a pick six. Otherwise, he was heralded as he was drafted, but did not deliver.

If I say this is Bobby Carpenter part two, it says I think this guy will not make the leap to the pros, just like Carpenter. But, what I did not do was to write eleven paragraphs on every little detail. There are so many who wax poetic about things when a simple statement would suffice. I can get wordy, but this only needed a comparison.

Now when you say "draftniks," I assume you mean people who have formed their own cottage industry on the back of the NFL. Because if you mean people here who are absorbed in the draft, they are just fans. But truth be told, the draftniks are just fans also. Mel Kiper lived in his mother's basement and studied the draft to become a pro.

However, how the majority of the people on this site we are posting on rip him a new one at every turn, up until he thinks highly of their pet cat?

So pardon me if I had an opinion and addressed is succinctly in a way that you felt was lazy. But know this, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about my delivery or content. It's just my opinion. And if the time comes where LVE turns into Erlacher, then I will admit I am wrong and enjoy his play. But rest assured, I will not gloat if he turns out to be another Jerry Jones first round bust.

I have watched about all the highlights of this guy on YouTube, and he just doesn't stand out to me.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
You are prepared to be surprised, in a good way. I've posted this before, but appropriate again. I live in Boise. Went to BSU home games. Went in person to LVE's pro day... Being as objective as I can be, this guy is, at a minimum, Karlos Dansby. At a maximum, Brian Urhlacher... Simply put, 6'4" 256 lb guys do NOT move like this guy does. He is the best coverage MLB in this draft. His backpedal is effortless and fluid. He opens his hips like a CB. And with his 6'4" height and wingspan, 39.5" vert, and great range, he closes that window in the middle of the field. Makes it so hard for QB's to fit passes into that middle seam or throw over him. In today's NFL, that is huge... Further, I believe it was proven last year that Jaylon Smith is a far better OLB, than he is a MLB. Let him come off the edge and cover TE's. LVE's instincts at MLB are so much better than Jaylon's. Plus, he weighs 256 and has room for another 10lbs without losing any quickness... Where LVE needs to improve is take on. But not because he's not physical (forget the Bobby Carpenter comparisons, they are wrong and lazy). He IS physical. But he is so athletic, he often tries (and succeeds) to slip around blockers. He will get coached up on that... Also, the draft is a projection. And LVE's athleticism is off the charts. At 256, he ran a 4.65 40. And add to that a 3 cone of 6.88. That is the SAME as Calvin Ridley and better than DJ Moore (6.95). Last, he had a vertical of 39.5". That is the SAME as DJ Moore and 8.5" higher than Ridley. For a MLB. Think about that and let it sink in. He is an athletic freak, and an ascending player... Finally, he is a really good kid. High school championships in 8 man football and basketball. He is a self made player. Walk on. Team captain. He will not stop working. He is the anti-Dez... Fellas, do not be disappointed. You will love this guy.

I've read he can't get off blocks and doesn't like contact. I also remember the last freak athlete we drafted with lots of upside, Byron...

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
I love the pick.

I really don’t get what people don’t see in him? Like please tell me. What is wrong with Vander Esch?

Our pass defense just improved in its weakest spot.

A qoute from a friend "We NEED a wr and dj moore is the best one in an admittedly flat crop. I also would have liked harold landry as an edge guy although he carries an injury risk. All in all i likely would have been okay with trading down. But this guy, this guy is dumb as ****, plays a position with low positional value, typical jerry pick picking the guy who he saw on a sportscenter soft focus piece once"

I like the pick.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
I love the pick.

I really don’t get what people don’t see in him? Like please tell me. What is wrong with Vander Esch?

Our pass defense just improved in its weakest spot.

Also heard. ........an inside linebacker in a 4-3 is the luxury pick you make when you are set everywhere else, and that is...that is not us. that may never be us.

What sayeth u?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Also heard. ........an inside linebacker in a 4-3 is the luxury pick you make when you are set everywhere else, and that is...that is not us. that may never be us.

What sayeth u?

Most inside linebackers are off the field on 3rd down.

This guy excels in covering. He's a 3 down player and our linebacking coverage was the biggest weakness on defense.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
This is the gold standard
You are prepared to be surprised, in a good way. I've posted this before, but appropriate again. I live in Boise. Went to BSU home games. Went in person to LVE's pro day... Being as objective as I can be, this guy is, at a minimum, Karlos Dansby. At a maximum, Brian Urhlacher... Simply put, 6'4" 256 lb guys do NOT move like this guy does. He is the best coverage MLB in this draft. His backpedal is effortless and fluid. He opens his hips like a CB. And with his 6'4" height and wingspan, 39.5" vert, and great range, he closes that window in the middle of the field. Makes it so hard for QB's to fit passes into that middle seam or throw over him. In today's NFL, that is huge... Further, I believe it was proven last year that Jaylon Smith is a far better OLB, than he is a MLB. Let him come off the edge and cover TE's. LVE's instincts at MLB are so much better than Jaylon's. Plus, he weighs 256 and has room for another 10lbs without losing any quickness... Where LVE needs to improve is take on. But not because he's not physical (forget the Bobby Carpenter comparisons, they are wrong and lazy). He IS physical. But he is so athletic, he often tries (and succeeds) to slip around blockers. He will get coached up on that... Also, the draft is a projection. And LVE's athleticism is off the charts. At 256, he ran a 4.65 40. And add to that a 3 cone of 6.88. That is the SAME as Calvin Ridley and better than DJ Moore (6.95). Last, he had a vertical of 39.5". That is the SAME as DJ Moore and 8.5" higher than Ridley. For a MLB. Think about that and let it sink in. He is an athletic freak, and an ascending player... Finally, he is a really good kid. High school championships in 8 man football and basketball. He is a self made player. Walk on. Team captain. He will not stop working. He is the anti-Dez... Fellas, do not be disappointed. You will love this guy.

Great great thread. I can't put all of CZ in a box but sooooooooooooooo many are pessimistic wet blankets without any validity whatsoever. Great thread. Why not root for the kid. I like the information. Awesome

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Most inside linebackers are off the field on 3rd down.

This guy excels in covering. He's a 3 down player and our linebacking coverage was the biggest weakness on defense.

Not a typical Jerry pick? Plays a position od low positional value?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not a typical Jerry pick? Plays a position od low positional value?

What are you asking?

Linebacker isn't an important position?

Well when you don't have any linebackers and your biggest defensive weakness is linebackers that can cover I think it's valuable.