tomorrow's headline-Johnson losing...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
"grip on Center"...isnt up yet on DMN, but the headline is..

was also brought up in Mickeroo's latest at Cowboy website...Gurode is looking strong at C and apparently Jones suggested an alternating C plan might be in the works again

David

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm all for it as long as it's because Gurode is coming on and not because Johnson is falling off.

blindzebra

Reaction score
So a guy who lost his job to Ben Noll last season, has underachieved for 3 years, has suddenly jumped in the mix to start at center after one mini-camp?

I smell propaganda. We are looking to move him for a pick is my bet.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Better chance that Gurode is cut than make 53 man. Talk of him starting at Center is nonsense.

At best motivation for Al Johnson or to prop a trade.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
So a guy who lost his job to Ben Noll last season, has underachieved for 3 years, has suddenly jumped in the mix to start at center after one mini-camp?

Could be that, or that when he was good at Center as he played his rookie year, probably they should have left him there.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
Better chance that Gurode is cut than make 53 man. Talk of him starting at Center is nonsense.

At best motivation for Al Johnson or to prop a trade.

Parka sales just went thru the roof in Hell.:D

blindzebra

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Could be that, or that when he was good at Center as he played his rookie year, probably they should have left him there.

Perhaps it's just getting old, but I don't recall him playing that well at center his rookie year.

After all we went with the likes of Lehr and Walter over him, picked up DiNapoli and drafted Johnson, none of which points to him looking like a possible starting center in the NFL.

Mash

Reaction score
May the best man win....

Johnson hasn't impressed me that much....unlike some here who think he was at the brink of becomming a pro-bowler...

There was a reason we got man handled last year up the middle and everyone piled on Gurode. Johnson should of took some of the blame.

Would of hated to see Johnson win the job because it was just given to him.

Wimbo

Reaction score
The reporter obviously read the Madden 2006 ratings that gave Gurode a slightly better overall score than Johnson, though Johnson is still the better overall blocker.

;)

blindzebra

Reaction score
Mash said:
May the best man win....

Johnson hasn't impressed me that much....unlike some here who think he was at the brink of becomming a pro-bowler...

There was a reason we got man handled last year up the middle and everyone piled on Gurode. Johnson should of took some of the blame.

You must have watched different games than I did.

Johnson gets over-hyped to be sure, but he had a solid first year. Gurode got benched for Noll, who took over for Johnson?

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Mash said:
May the best man win....

i have to disagree with you on this one. although he struggled at times i thought johnson had a good season. i focused on him quite a bit and came a way with a good feeling of him more often than not.

i have the tape of the seattle game and watch it pretty frequenly and johnson dominanted that game.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
You must have watched different games than I did.

Johnson gets over-hyped to be sure, but he had a solid first year. Gurode got benched for Noll, who took over for Johnson?

I'm with ya....Johnson is a slam dunk starter. Camp fodder......

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
da_boyz_mk said:
i have to disagree with you on this one. although he struggled at times i thought johnson had a good season. i focused on him quite a bit and came a way with a good feeling of him more often than not.

i have the tape of the seattle game and watch it pretty frequenly and johnson dominanted that game.

Dude....you stole my sig pic! What up???

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
THis at best is a movivation tool used against Johnson. Gurode is a bulling over center. Johnson, a pulling center. Parcells likes centers that can pull. In fact, if Johnson can't beat out Gurode, we might as well trade him.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
"grip on Center"...isnt up yet on DMN, but the headline is..

was also brought up in Mickeroo's latest at Cowboy website...Gurode is looking strong at C and apparently Jones suggested an alternating C plan might be in the works again

David

Finally some good news from the '02 draft :rolleyes:

burmafrd

Reaction score
As a rookie Gurode did play well at center; but it was thought that guard was the better position for him. It could just be that Gurode is a better center then guard.
It could also be that he has finally seen that if he does not play a whole lot better he is gone. Or this could all be hot air. TC will tell the tale.
BUT if he does win the center position.... he is bigger and stronger then Johnson so the power running game would be better. The question is - how is he at pass blocking and movement?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'll give Charles his due if this is true, but I'm with Nors: This looks like either motivation for Johnson (though he's had a work ethic that wouldn't seem to require any kind of manufactured incentive) or propaganda to boost his trade value.

And I'm with BZ in not remembering Gurode being any kind of force at center his rookie year. In fact, I remember Jerry being the one who wanted him at C, with the coaches always considering him a guard.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Gotta give credit to Charles if true. He has been predicting this.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

I don't think it is that far out.

However, I doubt he beats out Johnson, but if he is pushing him and could become a valued guard/center backup, more beer for us.