tomorrow's headline-Johnson losing...

blindzebra

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
You know what BZ you're right.

I'm sure that GM's and personnel people around the league are crashing the servers at DC.com to read Mickey’s articles trying to cipher out any conspiracies, hidden agenda's, and sub plots.

Because JJ doesn’t have enough contacts in the league he has to have a stooge plant hints, winks and nods in an article for other teams to learn that a player is on the trade block.

The national media gets their stuff from the local coverage.

Also I did not say the info was about trading Gurode, the info was about how well he is doing to inflate possible interest from other teams.

Common sense, underachiever who lost his starting job to a nobody, who has never lived up to expectations, suddenly gets it. He so blew away everyone in ONE MINI-CAMP that he is now suddenly pushing Johnson.

Factor in the Ranch gag order and well...

Anyone buying this as factual, I have some swam...I mean beach front property for you.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
The national media gets their stuff from the local coverage.

Also I did not say the info was about trading Gurode, the info was about how well he is doing to inflate possible interest from other teams.

Common sense, underachiever who lost his starting job to a nobody, who has never lived up to expectations, suddenly gets it. He so blew away everyone in ONE MINI-CAMP that he is now suddenly pushing Johnson.

Factor in the Ranch gag order and well...

Anyone buying this as factual, I have some swam...I mean beach front property for you.

I dont know about the gag order thing, seeing how the Gurode info came from Jones himself...

I dont expect Gurode to beat out Johnson, but he isnt getting cut either...the guy is an ok starter at G and has already shown he can play C too...factor in that Parcells likes his work ethic and relatively cheap cap figure and he's going nowhere

David

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
He's still Andre Kamode to me until I'm proven otherwise. (And yes, I know it is pronunced Gr-rod)

FWBCowboy

Reaction score
I would think this is just a motivational tool for Gurode. The guy was a second round pick from a draft which is fast becoming pitiful. He lost his job to an undrafted free agent last year and a priority free agent signing was a guy to replace him. Gurode can't be in a happy place, and I'm assuming they don't want to lose him. There has only been one minicamp, and that wasn't in pads, so I find it difficult to believe that any objective evaluation has really gone on. Plus, in Mick's article, there is nowhere than Jones says there is going to be a center rotation. He simply states that Gurode may challenge Al Johnson for the starters spot.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967Gurode is looking strong at C and apparently Jones suggested an alternating C plan might be in the works again[/QUOTE said:
I would feel much different about this if we were a week away from the season opener rather than a week away from camp starting.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
"grip on Center"...isnt up yet on DMN, but the headline is..

was also brought up in Mickeroo's latest at Cowboy website...Gurode is looking strong at C and apparently Jones suggested an alternating C plan might be in the works again

David

Hey, if they can get Andre to just figure out what the freakin' snap count is, I'd LOVE to have him win the starting job at center (and I like Al Johnson just fine)... when he came out of college, I thought he'd make a terrific center, with his size and agility... I know that a center needs to be able to run, which is why so many of them are on the smallish side, but that's also why most teams have to give the center some help when going up against 340-350 pound nose tackles... I long to see another Ray Donaldson type in there, a big ol' mauler who can go nose to nose with another big ol' mauler without needing help from one of the guards... that allows a team to do so many more things with their blocking schemes...

silverbear

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
The bottom line was that Johnson wasn't that good. Just because he was a 2nd round pick and was given the starting spot over a vet like Walter isn't saying much...he had no competition at C the past two years (even before the injury).

If your bleak assessment is true, Wayne, why haven't the Cowboys brought in some competition for the starting job??

if gurode can beat him out this year, it does indeed mean that johnson is not all that.

It couldn't mean that Gurode has taken a large step forward, and is now playing better than he ever has??

Some of y'all seem to insist on taking the most negative possible view of any development...

Me, I thought that Al played pretty fair last year, for what was essentially his rookie season, and if Andre is now threatening to take his job away, that just might mean that Gurode is making strides in his game...

silverbear

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
I'm surprised that no one has approached the idea that perhaps Gurode has stepped it up during the offseason and is now beginning to realize the potential that made him a 2nd round pick.

Could be?

Shhhh, Sal... we don't do optimism in here... :D

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I would take this as Gurode taking a step forward, not Al taking a step back. I would rather have someone of Gurode's size and potential at center, but he has to step up and take the job.

I don't really care who wins the job though, I just want the best guy out there for the season opener.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Nors said:
Better chance that Gurode is cut than make 53 man. Talk of him starting at Center is nonsense.

At best motivation for Al Johnson or to prop a trade.

I hear ya! But more power to Gurode if he can bring some competition. Ya just never know these days. The best players will be on the field.

My money is on Al Johnson.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Everybody needs to forget about trading Gurode or letting him get away as long as he's healthy... He's quality depth at guard and center right now... Ever heard of versatility. Trade him??? Who the heck said that??!! Absolute nonsense!!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sparano could be playing a role in this.

Warhop is gone and we saw all kinds of underacheivment from our OL.

Adams and Allen played below their normal levels. Gurode, Tucker, Walters and Rogers all failed to develop. Johnson had a 'decent' season.

Coincidence?

I have a tendency to think not and Sparano has shown that he can develop young talent. i really expect a revival of performance along the offensive line.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
You need to look no further than the chicago game that Henson started and watch AL Johnson and Tyson Walter constantly being tossed like rag dolls...

I could easily see Gurode taking the position..in fact..if we had another Center project I wouldn't be surprised to find them ahead of AL...AL is just too light...might make a great inside linebacker though...Really guys if you have the game watch it...A real eye-opener

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Perhaps it's just getting old, but I don't recall him playing that well at center his rookie year.

After all we went with the likes of Lehr and Walter over him, picked up DiNapoli and drafted Johnson, none of which points to him looking like a possible starting center in the NFL.
Once again using false information to justify your opinion.

We didn't go with the likes of Lehr and Walter in 2002, Gurode was moved from center to RG out of necessity.

Larry Allen was in and out of the lineup from the start of training camp. The Cowboys didn't have their starting unit play together until the 1st game of the 2002 season. Larry Allen injured his left knee or ankle against in the win against the Titans and that threw the entire Oline into a mess.

Gurode started the year at center, after Larry Allens injury he was moved to RG. Matt Lehr took over at center and Tyson Walter played LG.

Guys like Garmon and Page were over weight, injured and never consistent, while Gurode, Walters and Lehr played with injuries. Javiar Collins and Flozell started at the Tackle spots for most of the season.

The Cowboys purposely started Gurode at center for the Seattle game in which Emmit broke Paytons record because out Oline showed more consistency and ability with Gurode at center.

I am not surprised your in denial about Gurode stepping up. It severly affects your setting on your madden team. You are just getting around to implementing the 3-4 now you have to tinker with the offense ;) .

We drafted Johnson with the hopes that Gurode could become a mainstay at RG. It didn't work. Gurode will push Al Johnson. He's much better at center than Guard. He's much more physical than Johnson, can handle power running much better and like already mentioned he can handle the bigger NT much better than Johnson.

Get your facts straight.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Gurode was "moved" in College. He was "moved" in the Pro's. He was benched for mental mistakes later at Guard. He's done nothing more than suck at RG in his stay here.

He can't handle running the Oline. He is destined to be what he is - an overated draft pick. He's fighting to make this team.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
Gurode was "moved" in College.
If you knew anything about Colorado football, you wouldn't make this assine comment. He asked to be moved because the team was struggling at the guard position, he subsequently voted a team captain by his teammates going into the season.
Nors said:
He was "moved" in the Pro's.
Another assine comment, if you knew anything about the 2002 OLine, you'd understand why Gurode was moved form center to guard. He had his best games at center, but moved to guard becasuse of injuries and inconsistent play from other Linemen like Allen, Garmon, Page.
Nors said:
He was benched for mental mistakes later at Guard.

He's done nothing more than suck at RG in his stay here.

He can't handle running the Oline. He is destined to be what he is - an overated draft pick. He's fighting to make this team.
Suddenly all 3 major Cowboys media outlets mention he's had a great Off-season and is expect to push Al Johnson.

notherbob

Reaction score
Charles said:
Once again using false information to justify your opinion.

We didn't go with the likes of Lehr and Walter in 2002, Gurode was moved from center to RG out of necessity.

Larry Allen was in and out of the lineup from the start of training camp. The Cowboys didn't have their starting unit play together until the 1st game of the 2002 season. Larry Allen injured his left knee or ankle against in the win against the Titans and that threw the entire Oline into a mess.

Gurode started the year at center, after Larry Allens injury he was moved to RG. Matt Lehr took over at center and Tyson Walter played LG.

Guys like Garmon and Page were over weight, injured and never consistent, while Gurode, Walters and Lehr played with injuries. Javiar Collins and Flozell started at the Tackle spots for most of the season.

The Cowboys purposely started Gurode at center for the Seattle game in which Emmit broke Paytons record because out Oline showed more consistency and ability with Gurode at center.

I am not surprised your in denial about Gurode stepping up. It severly affects your setting on your madden team. You are just getting around to implementing the 3-4 now you have to tinker with the offense ;) .

We drafted Johnson with the hopes that Gurode could become a mainstay at RG. It didn't work. Gurode will push Al Johnson. He's much better at center than Guard. He's much more physical than Johnson, can handle power running much better and like already mentioned he can handle the bigger NT much better than Johnson.

Get your facts straight.

Good analysis.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I agree with my friend Charles...I think Gurode has the right stuff to play center...and with 2 vets (Allen & Rivera) at guards to help make line calls I like the interior of the O-line a lot better than I do with the too light Johnson

Chuck 54

Reaction score
silverbear said:
If your bleak assessment is true, Wayne, why haven't the Cowboys brought in some competition for the starting job??

It couldn't mean that Gurode has taken a large step forward, and is now playing better than he ever has??

Some of y'all seem to insist on taking the most negative possible view of any development...

Me, I thought that Al played pretty fair last year, for what was essentially his rookie season, and if Andre is now threatening to take his job away, that just might mean that Gurode is making strides in his game...
because gurode was a below average starter at guard, and johnson was an average starter at C.....again, that's not criticism....if the cowboys even had an average nfl starter at RT, they'd be satisfied right now...you can't have GREAT players at every position....with the problems we had at both guard spots the last few years, the question mark at LT when adams backslid, and the empty hole at RT, i'm sure the cowboys were very satisfied to have Johnson starting at Center....i'll stand by my opinion that he's never going to a pro bowl because he doesn't have the ability of the top beasts at Center, but he's not a weakness...he's just average.

my whole point is not that Al Johnson sucks...average starting linemen in the NFL don't suck...but he's no star either, so if and when someone does take away his position, it shouldn't come as a big shock to anyone.