tomorrow's headline-Johnson losing...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Charles said:
If you knew anything about Colorado football, you wouldn't make this assine comment. He asked to be moved because the team was struggling at the guard position, he subsequently voted a team captain by his teammates going into the season.

Another assine comment, if you knew anything about the 2002 OLine, you'd understand why Gurode was moved form center to guard. He had his best games at center, but moved to guard becasuse of injuries and inconsistent play from other Linemen like Allen, Garmon, Page.

Suddenly all 3 major Cowboys media outlets mention he's had a great Off-season and is expect to push Al Johnson.

Charles, you've been on here long enough to know that presenting Nors with facts only works to confuse him more

David

Chuck 54

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Some of y'all seem to insist on taking the most negative possible view of any development...

Me, I thought that Al played pretty fair last year

Your own best assessment is that Al played "pretty fair". Why say I'm taking the most negative possible view when I say he is an average starter in the NFL...I think average sounds just as good as "pretty fair"....my only point was that he's not a GREAT center or a pillar of strength on our starting line. I said he did get the job done. However, average or "pretty fair" players do lose their positions sometimes, and it will eventually happen to Johnson...why is that the most negative possible view?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Charles said:
If you knew anything about Colorado football, you wouldn't make this assine comment. He asked to be moved because the team was struggling at the guard position, he subsequently voted a team captain by his teammates going into the season.

Another assine comment, if you knew anything about the 2002 OLine, you'd understand why Gurode was moved form center to guard. He had his best games at center, but moved to guard becasuse of injuries and inconsistent play from other Linemen like Allen, Garmon, Page.

Suddenly all 3 major Cowboys media outlets mention he's had a great Off-season and is expect to push Al Johnson.

He also blossomed at guard when at Colorado. Thats where he was an All American.

The thing being missed in all of this is that they haven't put pads on yet.

Gurode has always looked the part, he just always seemed to be missing something. I believe Dale had comments about him not looking so hot in mini camps.

Whats the real story? It definitely bears watching in TC. A vet swing center/guard with starting experience and a low salary is a nice luxury.

Reaction score
I agree Charles...
Gurode has the Power & now experence to excell at C...
Johnson played OK in what was really his rookie year last year...

BZ bringing up Propaganda? :laugh2:
If he wants Propaganda he should watch fox news...

May the best man win...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
He also blossomed at guard when at Colorado. Thats where he was an All American.

Gurode has always looked the part, he just always seemed to be missing something. I believe Dale had comments about him not looking so hot in mini camps.

Whats the real story? It definitely bears watching in TC. A vet swing center/guard with starting experience and a low salary is a nice luxury.

I agree. As much as I like the feel good stories we really will not know until they get the pads on. I'm hoping that Gurode can finally show he belongs in the NFL it certainly would be a big boost to the O-line in terms of depth if Gurode does come on strong this season.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
To hear any initial promising news re the oline is a feather in Sparano's cap. Just getting something more than underachievement out of a few individual parts might just result in the JJ-Bledsoe play action success the O needs to give the new defensive scheme a bit of breathing room. It all hangs on that oline.

This news is wonderful..whether Al holds his position, or rotates with Dre when we face 3-4 Ds, Dre wins it outright, or simply becomes a primo swing guard-tackle.

I still can't find that headline or the article it alludes to (David, I don't doubt you saw it - I know how they operate over there). If anyone does, and it's on Plus, let me know and I will immediately post it.

But at least I did figure out that Andre "Kamode" must be "commode", not a professional wrestler.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
Has the article that this thread is based on been posted on the DMN web site yet?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
JakeCamp12 said:
Has the article that this thread is based on been posted on the DMN web site yet?
Not yet, and I never could find the headline.

But that is not atypical of DMN...floating the headline of a story not yet written because they got it confused with one already written. Or changing the dates and headlines on columns written as much as weeks in the past, so we can 'repost' them here and look like idiots.

It'll come..'specially since the Star Tel and DC.com has already mentioned the Gurode resurrection, but if it's a JJT piece, who knows when it will actually get written, and if it's Mosley, there will be nothing at all new in it.

kartr

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Could be that, or that when he was good at Center as he played his rookie year, probably they should have left him there.

I think you're right. We have a habit of playing people out of position, see Jacob Rogers at right tackle and Pete Hunter at corner.

kartr

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't think it is that far out.

However, I doubt he beats out Johnson, but if he is pushing him and could become a valued guard/center backup, more beer for us.

Coming out of college, Gurode was a projected 1st rounder and Johnson, a 3rd rounder we took in the 2nd.

kartr

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't think he had as good of a year as you do, but you have a point.

That year was a total trainwreck. We had players starting one week, having heartattacks the next. It was terrible.

Maybe Gurode has a shot.

But I think Al did a great job last year considering he sat for a year. I just find it hard to believe he is falling behind.

The only thing I can think of is that Gurode is a better run blocker. That is Al's weakness and at center, Gurode does not have to move and can simply fire off.

I think you're right, Gurode was known as a devastating run blocker at CU.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Gurode is the O-line version of Eb Ekuban. He has always looked great in the offseason, and every upcoming season has always been his "breakout" season. There's never been any question about his work habits, and from all indications he seems to be an intelligent and thoughtfull person. Which only leads to more bewilderment that he's such a bad football player. Al Johnson was essentially a rookie last year, and I agree with the poster before ... if you have that game tape of the Seattle game, he was absolutely dominant. All those big Julius Jones runs on the delayed draw came off Al Johnson blocks. Of course Julius got all the headlines and the messageboard posts, but that was as much of Al Johnson's breakout game as it was Julius'.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Count me in as another one that thinks Gurode's play at center was over-rated, but I will be happy if he can succeed and beat Johnson out. And that is no knock on Johnson, because I like him and think he did a good job for being a rookie coming off a significant knee injury. But Gurode won't start unless Parcells thinks he does a better job than Johnson.

I also am wondering how much Gurode has improved when we have only had minicamp. I believe one question that the Boys had when Gurode was at center was that he was not very good with the line calls. In fact, I remember articles praising Walter because he always made the right calls. His ability level is what holds him back, not his knowledge of the game.

I think this is more likely to try and motivate Gurode, and even Johnson. Because Gurode is clearly the one who is in his last chance with the team. This is his fourth year...if he doesn't get it now, there is no doubt he will be gone next year. The OL guys that are on the bubble are Gurode, Rogers and Tucker IMO. I would say that Adams, Allen, Johnson, Rivera, Vollers, Peterman are sure things. Parcells has been high on Noll, so he has a pretty good chance of sticking. I think Petitti or Rogers makes it as a tackle, not both. Tarullo got good reviews from his minicam performances, so I see him and Gurode really fighting it out for one of the final spots.

Al Johnson is much bigger than Stepnoski ever was, and we didn't always have to help Step. I think there is a lot of exaggeration about Johnson's lack of size and strength. And I think Johnson will be much stronger this year...remember that most of his training last year was to rehab his knee. This year I am sure they focused on him getting stronger.

Heavy competition will improve this team greatly, no matter who ends up starting.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:

By no means am I in the I told you so mode.

My opinion on Gurode was based his play at center during his rookie season in which he played very well and that Al Johnson didn't play to the level in 2004 that would solidify his starting spot.

Maybe it was Jerry Jones asking Parcells to try Gurode at center before dumping him or maybe Parcells looked at Gurode's past performances at center and felt he was much suited at that position.

I think Gurode has always been much more decisive, dominant and a punisher at the center position. He became an ALL American at guard at Colorado because he displayed significant leadership qualities along with his excellent play at the position.

He was also excellent at center (All Big 12 Honors as a sophmore), but his leadership and take one for the team mentality came through when he stepped up and took over a weak guard position (due to graduation and injuries), letting a less talented center take over his duties, but in turn strengthening a weakness at guard, thus the ALL American honors his Junior year.

He did it on the college level and it also translated into the NFL in the 2002 season.

It appears he isn't talented enough to play guard at this level. I believe he can play Center. I think he'll push Johnson and play atleast 40-45% of the offense snaps at center this season. I'll have my crow barbecued if I wrong. J

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Again, I don't understand how a guy Parcells has done nothing but praise is being passed by a guy a who has repeatedly let Parcells down... Without a single contact practice.

Why was Al Johnson drafted in the first place? Because Parcells likes his centers to be mobile guys who can get out and block linebackers and pull when needed. That isn't Gurode. Parcells had game tapes of Gurode at C in college and with us in 2002... So why again did he pass on Witten, a player he really liked, to instead draft Johnson? Because as he said, the center position "has held him hostage before"... And he didn't have that player on his roster.

And then, go back to the minicamp press conference Parcells held. When asked why Gurode was being moved to center, it was a grim "because I don't think he has any chance of making it at guard". It sounded like a last-ditch effort to help the guy make the team more than anything.

I have nothing against Gurode at all. I heard Ryan Young say what a nice guy he was, he works and studies hard, he's got the physical ability to be a good player... So there's nothing not to like. But for some reason, there is something that he doesn't get. I just can't see him thriving at a more cerebral position when his main problems seem to be mental mistakes and when we have a good young talent there already.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Gurode is the O-line version of Eb Ekuban. He has always looked great in the offseason, and every upcoming season has always been his "breakout" season. There's never been any question about his work habits, and from all indications he seems to be an intelligent and thoughtfull person. Which only leads to more bewilderment that he's such a bad football player. Al Johnson was essentially a rookie last year, and I agree with the poster before ... if you have that game tape of the Seattle game, he was absolutely dominant. All those big Julius Jones runs on the delayed draw came off Al Johnson blocks. Of course Julius got all the headlines and the messageboard posts, but that was as much of Al Johnson's breakout game as it was Julius'.
Good comparison........

But then I also submit to you Gurode's game against the same Seahawks in 2002. He was the starting center. Emmitt eclipsed Walter Payton and had his 1st 100 yard game of the season after Gurode returned to center.

Emmitt got all the praise, but Gurode was absolutely dominant in that game.

The Seahawks 2004 and 2002 defense ranked in the bottom half.

Julius Jones was a budding star, whilst Emmitt was playing on Emotion.

Gurode was flanked by a beaten down Larry Allen and stripclub going Matt Lehr.

Johnson had a resurgent Larry Allen and Gurode.

My point being Gurode had some great games too during his rookie year at center. He and Larry Allen opened up the hole that sprung Emmitt for the record breaking run. I hole that Julius would had taken to the house (Emmitt uncharacteristically got clipped by an arm tackle).

The battle will be very good for both players.

The great thing about this situationis that Gurode has taken supposedly a step forward and Johnson will be pushed. Makes for great competition and team comraderie during practice. Players love watching guys compete to open holes or block guys.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
One thing that Gurode has going for him is that physically he can be a beast. He apparently is a perfectionist that gets down on himself when he makes what he feels is a mistake. If he has improved, it may be because Rivera is helping him to learn how to prepare for football like a professional. Remember something about our O-Line. The veterans were basically Allen and Adams. It took Adams till Parcells dug in his rear to finally show his talent. And up until this year's mini camp, Allen never spoke 10 words to anyone. Also, how many line coaches has Gurode had? Maybe between River, a new talkative Allen and Coach Sparano, they have been able to help the kid learn how to prepare physically and mentally for a game. In all honesty, do you think you could succeed with Dave Campo's coaching staff and guys like Page, Matt Leher and all of the other junk Jerry Jones tried to fix this line with? Not everyone is able to succeed on their own. Lets give the kid his last chance and see if it comes out with a better center position, no matter who wins it.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Charles said:
By no means am I in the I told you so mode.

My opinion on Gurode was based his play at center during his rookie season in which he played very well and that Al Johnson didn't play to the level in 2004 that would solidify his starting spot.

Maybe it was Jerry Jones asking Parcells to try Gurode at center before dumping him or maybe Parcells looked at Gurode's past performances at center and felt he was much suited at that position.

I think Gurode has always been much more decisive, dominant and a punisher at the center position. He became an ALL American at guard at Colorado because he displayed significant leadership qualities along with his excellent play at the position.

He was also excellent at center (All Big 12 Honors as a sophmore), but his leadership and take one for the team mentality came through when he stepped up and took over a weak guard position (due to graduation and injuries), letting a less talented center take over his duties, but in turn strengthening a weakness at guard, thus the ALL American honors his Junior year.

He did it on the college level and it also translated into the NFL in the 2002 season.

It appears he isn't talented enough to play guard at this level. I believe he can play Center. I think he'll push Johnson and play atleast 40-45% of the offense snaps at center this season. I'll have my crow barbecued if I wrong. J

Fair enough and I gave you credit for this in another thread. You have been very adament about this all offseason and it may well prove to be a very astute prediction on your part.

I would love for Andre to reach his potential. It would be great to see Dallas have the luxury of trying to find ways to get talented players on the field.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Again, I don't understand how a guy Parcells has done nothing but praise is being passed by a guy a who has repeatedly let Parcells down... Without a single contact practice.

Why was Al Johnson drafted in the first place? Because Parcells likes his centers to be mobile guys who can get out and block linebackers and pull when needed. That isn't Gurode. Parcells had game tapes of Gurode at C in college and with us in 2002... So why again did he pass on Witten, a player he really liked, to instead draft Johnson? Because as he said, the center position "has held him hostage before"... And he didn't have that player on his roster.

And then, go back to the minicamp press conference Parcells held. When asked why Gurode was being moved to center, it was a grim "because I don't think he has any chance of making it at guard". It sounded like a last-ditch effort to help the guy make the team more than anything.

I have nothing against Gurode at all. I heard Ryan Young say what a nice guy he was, he works and studies hard, he's got the physical ability to be a good player... So there's nothing not to like. But for some reason, there is something that he doesn't get. I just can't see him thriving at a more cerebral position when his main problems seem to be mental mistakes and when we have a good young talent there already.

CL, I have no proof of what I am gonna say...but it seems to me..Bill has a tendency to look at a body type and say that guy can play this position or not...While it may prove to be a good guide I do think errors can be made...I think Gurode is a Center but they needed him at guard and I think Bill decided before drafting AL that Gurode was a guard and not a center...So he did not really get any chance to really prove it...

When Gurode played center he seemed a lot more comfortable to me...its been pointed out the line woes at the time of his playing center...AL Johnson got manhandled in Chicago (its the only game I watched in depth oline play ..because of Henson)now its also been pointed out that in Seattle AL had a good game(I must claim ignorance as I did not pay any attention to AL) so I really don't know about AL but I could picture from what I seen that Gurode is easily capable of beating him out...but like I said it is only based off 1 game

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Gurode excelled at C in college and played better at C his first season in the NFL - he was a project to convert him to G. I'm actually not surprised at all about reports that he will challenge for the starting C position.