tomorrow's headline-Johnson losing...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
CL, I have no proof of what I am gonna say...but it seems to me..Bill has a tendency to look at a body type and say that guy can play this position or not...While it may prove to be a good guide I do think errors can be made...I think Gurode is a Center but they needed him at guard and I think Bill decided before drafting AL that Gurode was a guard and not a center...So he did not really get any chance to really prove it...
I don't think there's any doubt about the body type stereotyping, Zax... And I do remember him putting Lehr at center after the previous regime had moved him out in favor of Walter.

And after a year, reversing those two, just as the previous coaching staff had it to begin with. :) So he can make mistakes.

While I do think Gurode's play at C his rookie year has been overrated by some, I do admit it's possible that, say, Gurode loses a significant amount of weight to move better, and does all right. If he can handle the line calls, maybe he'd be fine there.

I still don't think he beats out Al, though. ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
;)
Chocolate Lab said:
I don't think there's any doubt about the body type stereotyping, Zax... And I do remember him putting Lehr at center after the previous regime had moved him out in favor of Walter.

And after a year, reversing those two, just as the previous coaching staff had it to begin with. :) So he can make mistakes.

While I do think Gurode's play at C his rookie year has been overrated by some, I do admit it's possible that, say, Gurode loses a significant amount of weight to move better, and does all right. If he can handle the line calls, maybe he'd be fine there.

I still don't think he beats out Al, though. ;)

Of course, we are referring to T-New's body type re the return game, aren't we? ;)

You brought up earlier Bill's desire to draft a Mawae pulling style center, which he did in Johnson. (Kevin being the player Al's draft reports most often compared him to) Post-draft comments like the affectionately bestowed "trained pig" only further convinced us Al has not only the physical make up, but the work ethic and toughness Tuna wants at center.

But if Al is going to (and I am not saying he will) he eaten alive by Fergy size 3-4 noses, as Bill's beloved Kevin Mawae always was by the mammoth, tho not yet 3-4 old Oakland line, I don't think Tuna is gonna sit for it. Al is not yet a pro Bowler.

There is also the Bledsoe up-the-middle-and-on-his-rear and worse configuration.

Rotation, it's all about rotation, and Dre could be the real asset he was drafted to be if Sparano can get it together.

What I am DYING to see (but will just have to hear about) is BOTH these kids against Butterball Ferguson this summer.

Anyone going out to Oxnard, please watch closely.

My feeling is Tuna loves both these player, his vow to not let Dre fail is as strong as his belief in the player he himself drafted, Al Johnson, and strong "rotation" is the MO behind it all.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Of course, we are referring to T-New's body type re the return game, aren't we? ;)
Actually I had in mind the "circus Volkswagens" comment on Dat and Dexter... :)

Good post, though.

It's true that Al isn't the biggest guy in the world, but one thing I would point out is that last year Al just barely made it back in time after rehabbing from the very serious microfracture surgery on his knee... He wasn't able to lift heavily until very late in the offseason, if even then. Not being able to squat or clean for almost an entire year will really hurt any pro player, especially a lineman. I expect him to be a lot stronger this year after a full year of weight training as opposed to treadmilling.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Actually I had in mind the "circus Volkswagens" comment on Dat and Dexter... :)

I missed that one!

WOW.."circus volkswagons''. lmao.

It's true that Al isn't the biggest guy in the world, but one thing I would point out is that last year Al just barely made it back in time after rehabbing from the very serious microfracture surgery on his knee... He wasn't able to lift heavily until very late in the offseason, if even then. Not being able to squat or clean for almost an entire year will really hurt any pro player, especially a lineman. I expect him to be a lot stronger this year after a full year of weight training as opposed to treadmilling.

Coming off that severe an injury (and more than one thought it was problematical), I think it's astonishing the progress Al made.

Ostensibly a rookie center.. what other rooks or second year players coming off rookie IR in the past few years has started that we could do a comparison with?

The young center I watched the most closely these last five or so years was BC's Damian Woody (a much different type) and I do think Al's progess is as impressive as Woody's (still can't shot gun snap) very early career.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Charles said:
Once again using false information to justify your opinion.

We didn't go with the likes of Lehr and Walter in 2002, Gurode was moved from center to RG out of necessity.

Larry Allen was in and out of the lineup from the start of training camp. The Cowboys didn't have their starting unit play together until the 1st game of the 2002 season. Larry Allen injured his left knee or ankle against in the win against the Titans and that threw the entire Oline into a mess.

Gurode started the year at center, after Larry Allens injury he was moved to RG. Matt Lehr took over at center and Tyson Walter played LG.

Guys like Garmon and Page were over weight, injured and never consistent, while Gurode, Walters and Lehr played with injuries. Javiar Collins and Flozell started at the Tackle spots for most of the season.

The Cowboys purposely started Gurode at center for the Seattle game in which Emmit broke Paytons record because out Oline showed more consistency and ability with Gurode at center.

I am not surprised your in denial about Gurode stepping up. It severly affects your setting on your madden team. You are just getting around to implementing the 3-4 now you have to tinker with the offense ;) .

We drafted Johnson with the hopes that Gurode could become a mainstay at RG. It didn't work. Gurode will push Al Johnson. He's much better at center than Guard. He's much more physical than Johnson, can handle power running much better and like already mentioned he can handle the bigger NT much better than Johnson.

Get your facts straight.

Where in that post did I say 2002?

How about getting your own facts straight, before you accuse somebody.

Since you can't seem to be able to comprehend, I'll repeat it.

1. I said I do not remember him playing that well at center.

2. We then went with Walter and Lehr, who played in 2003, there skippy?

3. We were so encouraged by all 3 of their play that we signed Dinapoli and then drafted Johnson.

Got it now.:jerk:

Time for your, line by line of drivel, a few :lmao2: when you have even less of a point to make, and a few off-topic references.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Where in that post did I say 2002?

How about getting your own facts straight, before you accuse somebody.

Since you can't seem to be able to comprehend, I'll repeat it.

1. I said I do not remember him playing that well at center.

2. We then went with Walter and Lehr, who played in 2003, there skippy?

3. We were so encouraged by all 3 of their play that we signed Dinapoli and then drafted Johnson.

Got it now.:jerk:

Time for your, line by line of drivel, a few :lmao2: when you have even less of a point to make, and a few off-topic references.

blindzebra said:
Perhaps it's just getting old, but I don't recall him playing that well at center his rookie year.
Jerry Jones does.........or let me guess his opinion only matters when it supports yours............. :eek::
blindzebra said:
After all we went with the likes of Lehr and Walter over him,picked up DiNapoli and drafted Johnson, none of which points to him looking like a possible starting center in the NFL.

Herein lies the misinformation........ The Cowboys never went with Lehr or Walter's over Gurode at any position, at any point during any season.

Parcells left Gurode at RG in 2003.

Parcells drafted Al Johnson in April of 2003 a couple of months after he came aboard. It's quite obvious to see that the initial plan was to leave Gurode at RG, plug in Johnson at center, sign DiNapoli for insurance and hope that Walters and Lehr could assist as back-ups. Al Johnson got injured,

Gurode was never considered an option at center during the 2003 season ok skippy...........

Gurode started 15 games at RG in 2003. Missed a start due to injury. In 2002 Gurode was moved out of necessity.

In 2004 he started every game until being benched inthe season finale.

Get your facts straight.

Go sell crazy somewhere else.............

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
Gurode excelled at C in college and played better at C his first season in the NFL - he was a project to convert him to G. I'm actually not surprised at all about reports that he will challenge for the starting C position.

It wasn't really a project to convert him to guard since he was an All American guard at Colorado. He is familiar with the position.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Charles said:
Jerry Jones does.........or let me guess his opinion only matters when it supports yours............. :eek::

Herein lies the misinformation........ The Cowboys never went with Lehr or Walter's over Gurode at any position, at any point during any season.

Parcells left Gurode at RG in 2003.

Parcells drafted Al Johnson in April of 2003 a couple of months after he came aboard. It's quite obvious to see that the initial plan was to leave Gurode at RG, plug in Johnson at center, sign DiNapoli for insurance and hope that Walters and Lehr could assist as back-ups. Al Johnson got injured,

Gurode was never considered an option at center during the 2003 season ok skippy...........

Gurode started 15 games at RG in 2003. Missed a start due to injury. In 2002 Gurode was moved out of necessity.

In 2004 he started every game until being benched inthe season finale.

Get your facts straight.

Go sell crazy somewhere else.............

So we had an all pro center just sitting there to anchor a questionable OL and we could have solidified a good chunk of it by playing Adams, Allen and this all pro center together, but we did not. We signed DiNapoli, drafted Johnson, played Walter and Lehr at a new position just so we could play this all pro center out of position...and watch him wiff on blocks and jump the snap count.

Yeah, I'm the one selling crazy.:rolleyes:

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Have any of you guys (or gals) ever been on a debate team.

You people love to argue :D

Not that I'm judging or anything mind you......because that would be like the coffee calling the kettle black. Although I never understood that analogy because if the kettle is black then why can't the coffee state it like it is ?

coach316

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Although I never understood that analogy because if the kettle is black then why can't the coffee state it like it is ?

Probably because the phrase is "the pot calling the kettle black". ;)

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Gurode has potential out the wazoo. But until proven otherwise, Al Johnson will have the position of center locked down for years to come and Andre will become just another afterthought.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Have any of you guys (or gals) ever been on a debate team.

You people love to argue :D

Not that I'm judging or anything mind you......because that would be like the coffee calling the kettle black. Although I never understood that analogy because if the kettle is black then why can't the coffee state it like it is ?
I was, and you're right I love to argue.

:grin:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fletch said:
Gurode has potential out the wazoo. But until proven otherwise, Al Johnson will have the position of center locked down for years to come and Andre will become just another afterthought.

i would like to think its a situ where if they tie or its close johnson gets the nod but otherwise let the best man win.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
So we had an all pro center just sitting there to anchor a questionable OL and we could have solidified a good chunk of it by playing Adams, Allen and this all pro center together, but we did not. We signed DiNapoli, drafted Johnson, played Walter and Lehr at a new position just so we could play this all pro center out of position...and watch him wiff on blocks and jump the snap count.

Yeah, I'm the one selling crazy.:rolleyes:
Who said Andre Gurode was ALL-Pro ......... :lmao2:

making up stuff as you go.................

BlueWave

Reaction score
I've had my fill of Gurode for this lifetime. I'll welcome his name on the transactions list under "released".