Tony Pollard was never the Problem

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup, the problem was going into the season w/ a spell back as a starter. Still a problem.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I agree on the oline getting better

But I suspect he may have been getting 100 percent healthy as the season has progressed

He looks close now to where he was last year
I guess the question is, will he ever b the same as he was before the injury?

817Gill

Reaction score
Yup, the problem was going into the season w/ a spell back as a starter. Still a problem.
Not at all, look at the last two games. A good OL equals a good running game. There’s a reason Rb’s are dime a dozen. Rico, Tony, and any other NFL caliber back can get you 4+ YPC with a good line or good scheme. Why do you think the niners used to just recycle backs every year without any consequence.

Steele is back to being himself and the line is getting time to gel. Running anyone 20 times in between the tackles is not a recipe for long term success in the NFL. Tony is totally fine, especially with Dowdle there to spell.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Tony Pollard looked fast, strong, and elusive today.
It really helps when the O line gives him good blocking too. Pollard has never been the problem this year!
I've been saying that I don't think it's the RBs and I don't know if it's the OLine b/c those guys are monsters in pass protection... don't tell me they can't push a bit more to open big lanes??

It has to be the run scheme/playcalling.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not at all, look at the last two games. A good OL equals a good running game. There’s a reason Rb’s are dime a dozen. Rico, Tony, and any other NFL caliber back can get you 4+ YPC with a good line or good scheme. Why do you think the niners used to just recycle backs every year without any consequence.

Steele is back to being himself and the line is getting time to gel. Running anyone 20 times in between the tackles is not a recipe for long term success in the NFL. Tony is totally fine, especially with Dowdle there to spell.
Yes at all. Polly has never been very good running between the tackles, and he's always been good out in space and off tackle.

RB's are not a dime a dozen. Hard to find a starter quality one. That's why most teams go after them in rounds 1/2.

817Gill

Reaction score
Yes at all. Polly has never been very good running between the tackles, and he's always been good out in space and off tackle.

RB's are not a dime a dozen. Hard to find a starter quality one. That's why most teams go after them in rounds 1/2.
What dude? RB’s hardly get drafted in round 1 lol most starters are late round picks. If you really think teams draft RB high then I’m not going to discuss further as that’s so far from the truth it’s not even close lol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really helps when the O line gives him good blocking too. Pollard has never been the problem this year!
I basically agree. He hasn't been limited physically.

I do think based on game reviews that mentally he has had some issues (playing to avoid injury). Most obvious on outside runs when tacklers went low and he just let himself fall before actual contact.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The problem was trying to make Pollard and the running game the identity of the offense. Now that the offense runs through Lamb everything is opening up. Cooks and Ferguson have emerged. Even Pollard himself is more productive.

This game, the Commodes were bracketing and doubling Lamb so Dak had to spread the ball around. Dak had completions to 10 different receivers. Lamb stuck it out and emerged in the second half for some key plays.

This team is playing at a very high level.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Dowdle only had 3 - THREE - carries today...that doesn't make him 'thunder' in my opinion.
Cowboys need to balance out the rushes between him and Pollard so #20 isn't worn out when the playoffs begin.
Dowdle is probably still recovery from his injury.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

That’s not even close to true. A lot of teams get starting RB’s in rounds 3-7.

Loso86

Reaction score
So RB’s don’t need blocking?
Okay genius!
Your that fan I see amdh . Zeke didn't have much blocking last year but it was him. I guess I am the genius that has watched Pollard with lack of burst and instinct this year lol. Dude has 1 decent game and it's the Pollard of old

817Gill

Reaction score
Tony Pollard showed his speed, quickness, agility, and strength today. He has not been the issue.

If Pollard gets good blocking he will have a VERY strong rest of the season.

Fans thinking he is not a legitimate starting running back are clueless!
100%. Coinciding well with Steele’s return to form.

817Gill

Reaction score
I think he is a legit starter but he hasn’t looked quite as good as years past until the last two games
I like them sticking to 15-18 touches with him
Instead of 25
Keep him fresh
This as well. 10-13 carries and 4-5 targets in the pass game is perfect. He’ll get you 100 all purpose and make the plays we are used to,

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Nope. It was the o-line and play calling, as I've been saying all year. We don't need another RB (Henry would have been a waste). We need a LB and o-line depth.

Better run play designs today, and better blocking, then Pollard can shine, in some space. And he runs hard. He can get 2 or 3 tough yards too, with just a bit of a crevice.

Pollard and Dowdle are both just fine as RBs.

Having said that, this is Dak's team now on offense. The passing game has to set up the running game. That's playing to this offense's strengths. The Cowboys should always come out slinging it around, but they should also be using a lot of play action early too...to see how the defense reacts. McCarthy's getting better as a play caller, and Dak is getting better at executing, now they just have to keep improving. They're still leaving too much meat on the bone (Dak missing some throws, and McCarthy still needs to expand the playbook a bit more).

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Your that fan I see amdh . Zeke didn't have much blocking last year but it was him. I guess I am the genius that has watched Pollard with lack of burst and instinct this year lol. Dude has 1 decent game and it's the Pollard of old
As the season goes on you will see how wrong you are regarding Pollard.

Regarding Zeke. Everyone knows he is not the same back. He has lost more than a step.