Tony Pollard was never the Problem

Loso86

Reaction score
As the season goes on you will see how wrong you are regarding Pollard.

Regarding Zeke. Everyone knows he is not the same back. He has lost more than a step.
Pollard is not the same back as the last 2 years either

Cmac

Reaction score
Offensive line makes a running back, not the other way round....
Fully agree.....but on this board, nor should we expect a RB to get yardage without an OL blocking like the expectations hoisted on Zeke last year. Goes hand in hand, hope the OL can stay healthy and be reasonably decent against the pending "meat of the schedule" on the way that can dispel the "beating weaker teams" mantra.

Creeper

Reaction score
Pollard looked as fast yesterday as he has all year. He seems to be regaining his pre-injury form.

The OL is improving slowly, but honestly, there are still problems there. Martin has been more inconsistent this year than at any time in his career. There are times when he just gets beat badly and I cannot recall any time in his career when that happened. Biadasz continues to get abused by bigger stronger DTs. Allen bulldozed him back into the QB again and it was almost as quick as if no one blocked him. It could be technique, and Allen is a monster, but I see this often from Biadasz. Payne beat him a couple of times for TFLs too. The Cowboys can get away with this probably, but it could also come back to haunt them in the playoffs. I think getting a stout C next year is a priority.

But let's give props to Tyron Smith. We all thought he was ready for retirement going into this season. But he has been really good so far. If he can just stay healthy he looks like he has a couple of more years in him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Pollard has looked like a talented guy that was coming off an injury. It was easy to see he was missing burst. The OL was no help. That said Pollard looked better yesterday. His extra gear was noticeable. Maybe he is feeling better and gaining confidence. OL has been better recently.

Flamma

Reaction score
Tony Pollard looked fast, strong, and elusive today.
It really helps when the O line gives him good blocking too. Pollard has never been the problem this year!
Spot on. You have to give him something to run through. They used him outside the tackles a lot today. Where he has always been at his best.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Spot on. You have to give him something to run through. They used him outside the tackles a lot today. Where he has always been at his best.
Yes it had something to do with the line but it also has more to do with the play calls and utilizing Rico down or more doing the Thunder and lightning thing Tony Pollard is not a true number one he's better as the number two or splitting carries with a guy like Rico. It's been proven out he finished last season 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns no explosive plays and two injuries over five games to finish the season this start to this season wasn't much different than the end of last season... The difference is the way they call the place for Rico and they now have TP coming in a bit fresher.

But I can promise you this Tony Pollard is just a regular running back he's not special in any way I like him but I'm not keeping him next year and we're going to have to go in the draft and reboot maybe bring in one veteran if necessary for depth// I'm going to go get another guy in the third round maybe the 4th best available running back 3-5 rounds.

Tony Pollard is not producing like a $10 million player you wanna get all over Elliott and I'm just talking about you I'm talking about the zone what are you doing for me lately after you got your big money and he looks like a regular running back not a $10 million running back did you see Sanders miles Sanders how much does he make running behind that this poor line and Carolina? 6mil?? I would take him over Pollard I mean I like Pollard but for 10 million versus 6 I'm taking Sanders... That's the real market it may be smarter for the Cowboys in hindsight I realize we're looking at it in hindsight because we saw the market drop after Pollard signed his tag is they had offered him a two year $12 million deal but not 10 million for this year we're not getting our money's worth...

Turnabouts fair play we wanted to mock Elliot for him making too much money for his production well here we are...

blueblood70

Reaction score
that's what I'm doing coming this draft rounds 3 through 5 look for that big powerback that has a little bit of wiggle and you pick him up and put him on this team and get rid of Tony we don't need an expensive running back we got other dudes to sign..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I guess the question is, will he ever b the same as he was before the injury?
I don't know how many times I've come in here minding folks that he finished last year the last five games of the season 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns no explosive plays he averaged 51 yards per game the last five games of last year that was before he got hurt,,, the more carries that Tony was given the worse he got and now you see him being utilized with Rico more and he's looking better that injury did not slow him down not one bit this is just him being used more than he's used to being somebody said long time ago and we all agreed with it he is not an 18 carrier game back and if you use them between the tackles too much and make them stay in the block and make them go out on routes and be a decoy he will get war out and it showed

it's good that we have a coach that's making adjustments throughout the season and seeing his mistakes at the beginning and getting Tony back to being more Tony but he won't be here next year unless he wants to sign a two year $8 million contract or something I'm going in the draft and getting a young player with young legs.... Deonte foreman would have fit this offense perfectly he played for $3 million over there in Chicago... Lots of guys playing for under $7 million this year and we gave tp the franchise tag at 10 million

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Unless your name is Barry Sanders....
As Great as Barry Sanders was, and he was fun to watch but he wasn't leading Detroit to a championship because far to often you couldn't use him inside the redzone since he wasn't a power back and far too often he'd have minus 3 yards, 2 yards, minus 1 yard, minus 5 yards, 4 yards, minus 3 yeads and then 68 yard TD, unlike Emmiitt who was consistant moving the chains on drives....

Barry Sanders - running back
Emmitt Smith - Rusher

blueblood70

Reaction score
As Great as Barry Sanders was, and he was fun to watch but he wasn't leading Detroit to a championship because far to often you couldn't use him inside the redzone since he wasn't a power back and far too often he'd have minus 3 yards, 2 yards, minus 1 yard, minus 5 yards, 4 yards, minus 3 yeads and then 68 yard TD, unlike Emmiitt who was consistant moving the chains on drives....

Barry Sanders - running back
Emmitt Smith - Rusher
wow so you just do the flip the script we're talking about how an offensive line makes the back that would be Emmett Smith Barry Sanders had to earn his why can't that not be true in both cases and it had the better line much easier to run in the red zone with more holes give me a break dude that's what we're talking about Barry Sanders had to do it with less. In the story he was a more explosive back that did more without an offensive line and that includes in college you ever seen the dude run every highlight would take you 4 hours to watch...

It's just stunning they literally we're talking about the differences in offensive lines and berries one of the only ones that still put up like what 16,000 yards without much of an offensive line and by the way if he hadn't quit when he did and just said he was tired just being on a bad team he probably would be where Emmett is now at the top he quit too early gave Emmett the opening to get the record period end of story we don't wanna hear it we're talking about the differences between backs with offensive lines how it's important and I had to mention that Barry Sanders is a Hall of Fame running back that did it without much help across the offensive line

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I don't know how many times I've come in here minding folks that he finished last year the last five games of the season 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns no explosive plays he averaged 51 yards per game the last five games of last year that was before he got hurt,,, the more carries that Tony was given the worse he got and now you see him being utilized with Rico more and he's looking better that injury did not slow him down not one bit this is just him being used more than he's used to being somebody said long time ago and we all agreed with it he is not an 18 carrier game back and if you use them between the tackles too much and make them stay in the block and make them go out on routes and be a decoy he will get war out and it showed

it's good that we have a coach that's making adjustments throughout the season and seeing his mistakes at the beginning and getting Tony back to being more Tony but he won't be here next year unless he wants to sign a two year $8 million contract or something I'm going in the draft and getting a young player with young legs.... Deonte foreman would have fit this offense perfectly he played for $3 million over there in Chicago... Lots of guys playing for under $7 million this year and we gave tp the franchise tag at 10 million
I don’t agree with everything you said, but I do agree with most of it. Very rationale!

blueblood70

Reaction score
You didn’t watch the game? Pollard looked really good. He will prove you wrong!!!
Yeah he looks good with 13 carries when he was asked to do 18 carries all the way back to last year he did not play well no one saying he sucks but he's not living up to $10 million... I mean so far this year he's only got 4 touchdowns as well I mean everybody said last year Oh my God if zeke didn't take all those short runs into the end zone away from Pollard he would have more touchdowns and we're finding out that that's not the case we're pretty bad running inside the five... So all we're saying is if you're gonna have a back that needs less than 15 carries a game to stay in his wheelhouse so he can be somewhat explosive then he is not your number one or a true number one he is a leader of a running back by committee and doesn't deserve $10 million.... Deonte foreman makes $3,000,000 and could have done all this same stuff that Pollard did,,,

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Pollard is not the same back as the last 2 years either
Not true! Look at his last 5 games before his injury. The O line blocking was bad, so of course he struggled, like any RB would. He averaged less than 4 yards a carry.

Give him some blocking and he is really good!!!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He'll be even better if he can share more carries with Rico "He wore a diamond" Dowdell.
Pollard needs a tag-team to be most effective.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
wow so you just do the flip the script we're talking about how an offensive line makes the back that would be Emmett Smith Barry Sanders had to earn his why can't that not be true in both cases and it had the better line much easier to run in the red zone with more holes give me a break dude that's what we're talking about Barry Sanders had to do it with less. In the story he was a more explosive back that did more without an offensive line and that includes in college you ever seen the dude run every highlight would take you 4 hours to watch...

It's just stunning they literally we're talking about the differences in offensive lines and berries one of the only ones that still put up like what 16,000 yards without much of an offensive line and by the way if he hadn't quit when he did and just said he was tired just being on a bad team he probably would be where Emmett is now at the top he quit too early gave Emmett the opening to get the record period end of story we don't wanna hear it we're talking about the differences between backs with offensive lines how it's important and I had to mention that Barry Sanders is a Hall of Fame running back that did it without much help across the offensive line
Not flipping the script, Offensive line makes the back, but there's a difference in styles between a running back in Barry Sanders and a Rusher like Emmit Smith...Barry wasn't a great blocker or receiver out of the backfield like Smith was.

Loso86

Reaction score
You didn’t watch the game? Pollard looked really good. He will prove you wrong!!!
Didmt say he didn't look good last night, I'm saying that was the only game this year where looked good so im.mot getting excited