Tony Romo a Top 40 QB of all-time as ranked by relative ANY/A

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Yes, you hear it all the time if you follow and read as much about the game as I do. They talk about how he's at the facility all the time. In the film room all the time. His Office Wife, Red J speaks about him being a Gymn Rat. Aikman and Irving speaks about his time spent studying the opponent too.

Tony reads defenses very well. That's why he's allowed to change the plays as much as he does. He also has to put his receivers in place more often than he has to in th past (hopefully that changes this year). Two recent examples of his success at reading defenses is the SF-OT-Rib-gate-Jessie Holley Game; and last years opening day/night game TD to Miles against the Giants. Pure perfection!

Ok. I've never thought of Tony as this slave to the game.

His office wife cracked me up. I bet Witten is jealous.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Perhaps. But there were many rushing to call Russell Wilson "not that good" despite winning a Super Bowl.

I can not say one way or the other about Russell Wilson. I can tell you that I am not among those who believe that Wilson is a poor QB. In fact, I would take Wilson, right now, over just about any other QB in the NFL.

A different discussion but perhaps the perfect example of what I am trying to say. Wilson is not the big stats guy. He is a guy who understands the game and how it works. He is a guy who seems to do whatever it takes to simply win. He does things that help his defense, he doesn't typically hurt his team through his play and just makes the plays you need to win. I mean, he is almost the perfect example of what I am trying to say.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Please don't put Romo and mental in the same sentence! Sure, Romo knows more about the game but Dez is top 3 at his position. The difference between the 2 is that Dez is elite and is getting better and better.

Another differnce is Dez only need 2 maybe 3 people to accomplish his task .... Tony needs 8 to 10 (LOL).

jnday

Reaction score
He was a 2nd round pick that a lot of people thought we reached for, to be fair.

I remember that many people had thought Jerry lost his mind because the Quincy pick was such a reach. IIRC, many teams had Carter as a 5th round talent. Jerry wanted his own version of McNabb.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I remember that many people had thought Jerry lost his mind because the Quincy pick was such a reach. IIRC, many teams had Carter as a 5th round talent. Jerry wanted his own version of McNabb.

Yep. I agree that McNabb and what he had been able to do to us in our previous meetings, to that point, were a big influence on Jerry. Also, we were in cap hell and we needed a guy who would be cheap and this was what we came up with. I never thought Carter was a great QB. He was serviceable if you could keep him on the straight and narrow, at best. At Georgia, in three seasons, he only ever threw for 6447 yards, 35 TDs, 25 INTs and only 56% completion percentage in college. I mean, I still do not understand why we took him in the 2nd round but it's water under the bridge now.

birdwells1

Reaction score
This strategy will catch up to both teams. Both teams built the lines and fortified the defense to allow them to do that. When both QB's are up for their contracts, they will either tell you the true value of each of the QB's or they will go ahead and draft another guy. I have a feeling that SF is going to move on from Kap. He is nothing special. Wilson, I think is pretty good, but even he has his flaws.

I really don't see how, their strategy is to basically lower the need for an elite qb and/or passing game for team success. The value in this is that you don't have to pay a single player 16-20 million dollars while the rest of the team's positions suffer. Another added value is that if you starter goes down the drop off is not so great. The two teams, imo, have taken the contrarian approach to building a team and it's paid off. The NIL loves the elite or star qbs because it's good for business but ultimately the games are decided in the trenches.

While I'll grant you that Wilson is a good young player, he's not in the top ten and if he thinks that he will get paid like he is he may be disappointed. Keep an eye on Terrelle Pryor because if Wilson demands too much then Pryor may be the starter, remember that their success isn't predicated on elite qb play.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
There is such a thing as a Realist, and they do exist. However, any who claim that title here in the ClownZone are anything but! Those here who claim to be a realist have as legitimate a claim to that title as Rush Limbaugh would to the title of Liberal.

I have no idea what you just said. Please address me as a realist and not a "hater" just because I have a different opinion than you. Thx

KB1122

Reaction score
The article is pretty interesting. Some notes:

1) Of the top 50, Romo's best season ranks 49th. Ahead of only John Elway (!) and behind even Matt Schaub. But his fifth best season fares a much better 27 or 28 (somewhere in there). That supports what I've always thought about Romo - consistently very good, but rarely great.

2) Steve Young over Joe Montana.

3) Supports the "Elway is overrated" line of thought.

4) Interesting surprises: Morton as the No. 2 Cowboys QB. John Hadl at No. 20. John Brodie, at 25 is another guy that benefits from the 5 year thing. He had about 3 or 4 great years and then a significant dropoff.

5) On the plus side, I think their top 10 is pretty good.

KB1122

Reaction score
I can not say one way or the other about Russell Wilson. I can tell you that I am not among those who believe that Wilson is a poor QB. In fact, I would take Wilson, right now, over just about any other QB in the NFL.

WIlson's efficiency is through the roof. And he is among the lead rushers for QBs. Romo got 30 yards on the ground last year.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Not to detract anything from Wilson, but up until the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl (which they were already up 26-2), he had only thrown 1 TD the entire post season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not to detract anything from Wilson, but up until the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl (which they were already up 26-2), he had only thrown 1 TD the entire post season.

Yep... He has the easiest QB job in the entire NFL.

Overwhelming defense to make the pressure to score next to nothing.
A powerful running game to make throwing the ball when rarely needed a relative piece of cake.

But he does what he needs to do well, so you have give him props.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep... He has the easiest QB job in the entire NFL.

Overwhelming defense to make the pressure to score next to nothing.
A powerful running game to make throwing the ball when rarely needed a relative piece of cake.

But he does what he needs to do well, so you have give him props.

I think that part that is probably hard for most QBs, in similar situations. Hard to play within the confines of the scheme. This, to me, is the part Tony would have difficulty with. I don't know that Tony could or would hand the ball of 10 straight times. I don't know that Tony would check down to the short receiver on the 11th play and then go back to handing the ball of 10 times if that is what was called for?

That's sometimes hard for QBs to settle up with.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think that part that is probably hard for most QBs, in similar situations. Hard to play within the confines of the scheme. This, to me, is the part Tony would have difficulty with. I don't know that Tony could or would hand the ball of 10 straight times. I don't know that Tony would check down to the short receiver on the 11th play and then go back to handing the ball of 10 times if that is what was called for?

That's sometimes hard for QBs to settle up with.

Tony Romo dreams of having it as easy as Wilson. And if they had Romo at QB they may not want to hand it off 10 straight times.

But hey...jmo

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tony Romo dreams of having it as easy as Wilson. And if they had Romo at QB they may not want to hand it off 10 straight times.

But hey...jmo

Could be right. They might be satisfied with the belief that there QB is top 40 as opposed to having a QB who is a Super Bowl Champion. Probably never know thou. ;-)

DFWJC

Reaction score
Could be right. They might be satisfied with the belief that there QB is top 40 as opposed to having a QB who is a Super Bowl Champion. Probably never know thou. ;-)

I do think Wilson is very good.

He didn't just dink and dunk his way to 3300/26/9. I just think it's easier to complete passes when the box is loaded up and you are usually playing with a lead.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I do think Wilson is very good.

He didn't just dink and dunk his way to 3300/26/9. I just think it's easier to complete passes when the box is loaded up and you are usually playing with a lead.

It is but in order to get yourself into that position, you must be willing to hand the ball off to a back and you must be willing to take the short stuff as opposed to always wanting to go deep. You must be willing to hand the game over to your defense rather then take it upon yourself to have to win the game.

All of that is part of Wilson.

birdwells1

Reaction score

But hey...jmo

Uh.....they won the Super Bowl that way, why would they change if they had Romo? To be more aesthetically pleasing, to sell more tickets or get higher ratings? Naw they just let other teams worry about looks they just championships.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Uh.....they won the Super Bowl that way, why would they change if they had Romo? To be more aesthetically pleasing, to sell more tickets or get higher ratings? Naw they just let other teams worry about looks they just championships.

I didn't say they for sure would. I could give a flying shart about ratings.

They didn't go undefeated and while the season was going on they didn't know they were gonna win the SB. That's hind site.

I doubt they handed it off 10 straight times very often or at all anyway.

BTW and just some trivia, Romo had the better int ratio last year and threw far less ints per attempt as well.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I didn't say they for sure would. I could give a flying shart about ratings.
They didn't go undefeated and while the season was going on they didn't know they were gonna win the SB.
I doubt they handed it off 10 straight times very often or at all anyway.

I wasn't saying that you cared about ratings, what I'm saying is that they along with SF play a hardnosed type of football that puts emphasis on the running game and physical defense and those 2 things don't sell tickets.