Tony Romo a Top 40 QB of all-time as ranked by relative ANY/A

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It seems to me that the only reason to quantify player performance is for purposes of comparison. The only other way to do it would be to compare anecdotal information, and that would be pretty hard to do for all of the players in pro football history. So, those who use numbers to compare players are doing it the only way it can be reasonably done, IMO.

I don't know that I agree with this. You can do it based on wins, which is how many judge QBs.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
http://www.footballperspective.com/checkdowns-judging-qbs-by-their-top-5-seasons/

by Chase Stuart on March 19, 2014.

A fantastic read, a statistically backed argument on the greatest 100 quarterbacks of all-time.

The hate Tony Romo gets is criminal, almost ignorant. It is time for the world to acknowledge that he is a fantastic football player who hasn't been successful in the playoffs yet, because football is a team sport. Romo deserves better.

We are lucky to have him and I will say this, Romo is the best player in the team, it is time to build and direct our attention towards the remaining 52.

People still will not understand and hate on him

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I don't think he's the best player on the team.

I'd go with Dez on that.

Dez barely knows the route tree. He's got "skillz" but he's far from tapping into his capabilities. I love Dez but he can't hold a candle to Tony when it comes to "knowing" the game. That's a part of being good at the game. There is the physical and then there is the mental.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I don't know that I agree with this. You can do it based on wins, which is how many judge QBs.

Just because that's how "many" judge QB's that doesn't mean they are right. Many have been wrong through out history.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Dez barely knows the route tree. He's got "skillz" but he's far from tapping into his capabilities. I love Dez but he can't hold a candle to Tony when it comes to "knowing" the game. That's a part of being good at the game. There is the physical and then there is the mental.

Please don't put Romo and mental in the same sentence! Sure, Romo knows more about the game but Dez is top 3 at his position. The difference between the 2 is that Dez is elite and is getting better and better.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Top 40 QB of all time, is this really a story? We not talking top 3, top 5, top 10..We making headlines for being top 40?

We're talking history. Do you know how long the NFL has been around? Top 40 is a big deal.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Please don't put Romo and mental in the same sentence! Sure, Romo knows more about the game but Dez is top 3 at his position. The difference between the 2 is that Dez is elite and is getting better and better.

I assume you're saying that when he throws a game killing int that means he is not a student of the game?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
We prefer Romo realists. Also, of course there are more fingers to go around. Nobody puts all the blame on Romo. He does deserve some blame though. He has played a role in this team being mediocre.

There is such a thing as a Realist, and they do exist. However, any who claim that title here in the ClownZone are anything but! Those here who claim to be a realist have as legitimate a claim to that title as Rush Limbaugh would to the title of Liberal.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
For a certain number of fans, stats means everything. These fans are usually grasping for a way to defend the player. These same fans gave never played football and don't understand that stats is not the end-all in judging a player.

then you have those who ignore stats and pretend that they were an all pro-qb who won 8 MVP's and know exactly what is or isnt a good QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just because that's how "many" judge QB's that doesn't mean they are right. Many have been wrong through out history.

Perhaps, but it is the consensus, IMO, on how QBs are judged. Here is the problem. When somebody comes out and says that QBs are judged on wins, people tend to act as if that person is the source of the basis. In fact, they are not. This way of judgement has been around for longer then you or I have been alive and there is reason as to why it is this way. Is it more fare to base judgements on stats in a time where the League has gone to an all out passing game? Where stats are now inflated and the ability to accumulate stats is so much greater?

This is why QBs are held in a higher regard, if they are great. Winning is the unilateral yard stick. It does not rely on the game and how it's changed over the years. It does not advantage or disadvantage a player because of when he played. It's not my rule but it is, IMO, the fairest way to judge QBs. The game changes and stats are going to be inflated, depending on when you played but the actual winning, that happens with your peers, regardless of when you played. You can say that a QB doesn't have an effect on how a team plays defense and to a certain extent, that's true but it's not 100% true. A QB has a big impact on the defense, just as a defense can have a big impact on the offense. The QB is the face of the team. He has more control over what happens on the field then any other player, by far, both sides of the ball. Wins, IMO, are the best way to gauge a QB because it's the only constant.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

I disagree. I think he's the best player on that team. But to each his own. Just my opinion. ;)

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I assume you're saying that when he throws a game killing int that means he is not a student of the game?

I am wondering why you consider Tony such a student of the game. I do not know if he is or isn't but have never personally read that title applied to him like I have others such as Peyton Manning for instance.

Didn't either Jason or Jerry say last year they wanted Tony to be more like Peyton in that regard. Just asking.

jnday

Reaction score
I never claimed that he was better or worse. I simply said that it would not be hard to find 50 QBs who have had a better career to this point. For the record, none of the people you mention above would make the list either. The point is that you don't simply claim that people simply don't have a clue or are stupid or whatever the case simply because they have a different opinion. It's just different, that's all.

That needed to be said. Many posters gave developed the habit of dismissing other opinions and calling them stupid. I disagree with many posters on this board, but I try to respect them and their opinions. Chances are, the person that is called stupid may know more than the person that is spewing the insults.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think in 2014, the best player on the team will be neither Dez or Tony....Tyron Smith's trajectory is too steep!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
That needed to be said. Many posters gave developed the habit of dismissing other opinions and calling them stupid. I disagree with many posters on this board, but I try to respect them and their opinions. Chances are, the person that is called stupid may know more than the person that is spewing the insults.

Usually when someone calls someone stupid, it means they have lost the argument and can't think of anything else to say.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I think in 2014, the best player on the team will be neither Dez or Tony....Tyron Smith's trajectory is too steep!

You may be right but I always go with the glamour guys not the big boys on the line doing the grunt work. :p

The Natural

Reaction score
We're talking history. Do you know how long the NFL has been around? Top 40 is a big deal.

Top 40 at a position is not a big deal, sorry. We talk about the alphas, the mt rushmores of players, not top 40. Besides that Toni isn't a top 40 QB of all time.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yes, that's true. That's also why they say that if you don't have a QB, you don't have anything in this league (the NFL), I suppose.

Perhaps. But there were many rushing to call Russell Wilson "not that good" despite winning a Super Bowl.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I am wondering why you consider Tony such a student of the game. I do not know if he is or isn't but have never personally read that title applied to him like I have others such as Peyton Manning for instance.

Didn't either Jason or Jerry say last year they wanted Tony to be more like Peyton in that regard. Just asking.
Yes, you hear it all the time if you follow and read as much about the game as I do. They talk about how he's at the facility all the time. In the film room all the time. His Office Wife, Red J speaks about him being a Gymn Rat. Aikman and Irving speaks about his time spent studying the opponent too.

Tony reads defenses very well. That's why he's allowed to change the plays as much as he does. He also has to put his receivers in place more often than he has to in th past (hopefully that changes this year). Two recent examples of his success at reading defenses is the SF-OT-Rib-gate-Jessie Holley Game; and last years opening day/night game TD to Miles against the Giants. Pure perfection!