News: Tony Romo Isn't Going Anywhere

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Look at us, the Cowboys and Romo and Dak.
All lovey dovey, kissy, huggy.
The food tastes better, the kisses taste sweeter and every woman looks like a super model (or a hunk in sportsbabe's case) when we're winning. :D

Zordon

Reaction score
Nice story but he needs to remain on the bench like Staubach, Emmitt, Moose, Haley and all the greats have opined.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
People who think this team can't wait to move on from Romo don't know him. The team does. With a healthy Romo all year this team is very likely still 6-1 or even better.

He is an incredible asset to this team and all the haters can suck it.

I get the feeling some here can't wait to bench Dak just so we can go back to where we've already been with Romo. Romo is never going to be healthy, back issues don't just go away. If he was "healthy" the team wouldn't have rest days for him in practice that's been going on since his back surgery. Whether some like it or not we have a new sheriff in town and he looks special. Romo has been a very good QB but the last few years he's taken a lot of hits and sacks that have gotten him injured and he continues to turn the ball over. He had 5 INT's in his last two regular season games and a lot of that was due to rust from missing games. Dak has brought energy and hope to this team and the read option that's been so hard to defend is an element Romo can't provide.

He avoids sacks and hits that Romo can't because he's a young, healthy player who can use his legs. He's a duel threat QB and I think most Cowboy fans are loving what he's brought to the team. We're not going to get any farther with Romo than we have and it hasn't been far. Nothing can change a teams luck like a young QB and this team looks special with Dak at QB. Romo's only asset right now is at backup. If the great chemistry and energy we've seen this year is going to continue Dak needs to remain the QB.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's actually won there. Dak has yet to get there. :rolleyes:

He's won there twice in 10 years. Dak has a chance to accomplish more in one season as a "rookie" than Romo has his entire career. Dak is facing the same challenges that Romo has faced having a solid offense, along with a suspect defense. This is not hating on Romo, I'm just pointing out a fact. Romo has been terrific but we've never gotten past the second round of the playoffs with him. Our luck may change with Dak, something seems special about him.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The fact is Romo gets blamed for what JERRY JONES did to him from 2006 to 2011. Not until Jason Garrett took over & Stephen Jones took more control did this organization finally stop listening to the hype and draft seriously to put a great OLine in front of him and give him a valid rushing attack to take pressure off of him.

Jerry believed all the hype about our great OLine and how Dallas was on the cusp of a Super Bowl following that 13-3 2007 season. It took the epic collapse in the playoffs vs Minnesota, followed by the horror of the 2010 season to finally make Jerry realize he STILL didn't know what he was doing and he'd just wasted the last 4 years of Tony's career.

It's not a coincidence that Jason Garrett's promotion to head coach & Stephen Jones' taking far more responsibility in running the front office immediately produced 3 #1st round draft picks of offensive lineman, something that had NEVER happened since Jerry bought the team.

Romo spent 2006-2010 running for his life back there on 1/2 the passing plays while Jerry was chortling about how he'd built the best offensive line in pro football. There was no real consistent running game either, despite all the hype about Marion Barber, Felix Jones and other RB's.

Not until 2014 with the 3rd piece of the OLine puzzle dropping into place with Zack Martin joining Travis Frederick & Tyron Smith did Romo finally have an offensive line in front of him that meant he could sit back in the pocket & start picking teams apart without having to run around so much.

That was also the year DeMarco Murray finally put it all together and stayed healthy all season and a hugely improved rushing attack provided the kind of balanced offense Dallas needed to take pressure off of Romo, who too often from 2006-2013 was being asked to work miracles late in games due to substandard Cowboys defenses that couldn't stop anybody.

This last draft, with the addition of Ezekiel Elliott, and the development of some previous defensive players like Maurice Claiborne, Byron Jones & a healthy Sean Lee could push Dallas into being the perennial playoff contender Jerry thought he had back in 2007.

The sad thing is, it may have taken Jerry too long to quit listening to the hype and let Stephen and Garrett build a solid balanced offense around Romo. 2006-2010, 5 seasons were wasted. Jerry mistook Romo carrying this team on his back to the playoffs in 2006, 2007 and 2009 to mean it was going to be a perennial contender.

Now that Garrett and Stephen Jones finally have a team built up that can carry it's own weight instead of relying on Romo The Miracle Worker, Tony might only get to play on it for just 1 more year or two.

And I gotta come on this board and listen to stupid fans blather that Romo is the one who's been holding this team back from playoff glory or something.

Dak has stepped into a fantastic situation here and he knows it. He knows this offense was built for Romo, not for him. The team's finally built up to protect and complement it's QB with a fantastic running game and a great OLine and a budding young defense and it could be Tony never gets to drive it, the keys get handed to Dak.

Dak knows how fortunate he is and what a raw deal it would be for Tony to never get to drive this offense that's finally ready to go all the way.

Good write up. The article is a good one also. Romo is heck of a person and an outstanding QB. My problem is that you can't simply and conveniently explain away EVERYTHING that's transpired in the last decade. Your write up suggests Romo shouldn't bear ANY responsibility whatsoever for teams that went 13-3 (with 13 pro bowlers) winning the NFC as a #1 seed. In 2009 we won the NFCE, ended on a 7 game win streak and SHUT OUT wash and philly to end the season. You can't say we didn't have a defense. I'll concede that between '11 and 13 we had deficiencies but at the same time we played for a spot to at least make the playoffs at the end of each of those seasons. So the divisional opponent was an average team also that was beatable. Of course Romo got hurt to end '13. The point is ... let's stop with the violin excuses. He's had plenty of good opportunity. The shame in all of this is TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF YOU. Time and opportunity are precious. You don't think he wants that game back in '07? Right now in 2016, we cannot concern ourselves with what great draft piece or FA might be out there to REALLY take us over the top in '17. The time is now. I'm so proud of this team for playing through key injuries and just adapting this year. We're here because Romo got hurt AGAIN... Not Romo's fault... not Dak's fault but the injuries and concern are mounting.. and it's part of his legacy at this point. All of it. No one should never question Romo's heart, dedication, skill, likeability etc.. It's a team game but he is also responsible for his own legacy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fantastic article on Tony Romo. Let's get this man a Super Bowl. Dak has that magic going on now, but Romo is a better pure quarterback, and gives us a better chance to win in the playoffs.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/tony-romo-isnt-going-anywhere-lost-job-dak-prescott/

How do you know Romo gives us a better chance to win in the playoffs, his playoff record is 2-4. Who's to say Dak can't win in the playoffs? Did anyone think he could lead this team to 6 straight wins including a win at Lambeau facing Aaron Rodgers? I think we can win in the playoffs with Dak, it's our lack of a pass rush I'm worried about.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He's actually won there. Dak has yet to get there. :rolleyes:

Twice in 10 years and some people want to roll into the playoffs with that track record. Its time for Dak to begin his own playoff track record. He will have more playoff wins this year than Romo has in his career!

robjay04

Reaction score
He's won there twice in 10 years. Dak has a chance to accomplish more in one season as a "rookie" than Romo has his entire career. Dak is facing the same challenges that Romo has faced having a solid offense, along with a suspect defense. This is not hating on Romo, I'm just pointing out a fact. Romo has been terrific but we've never gotten past the second round of the playoffs with him. Our luck may change with Dak, something seems special about him.

Romo had an elite running game one season(2014).

He had some decent run games but never a team that could impose their will like this year and 2014.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we make the playoffs and Romo never sees the field this season, he'll be going somewhere during the offseason or he'll retire. Can't enter next season with a QB controversy it could lead to a distraction because one QB isn't going to be happy carrying a clipboard. You go back to Romo next year (which I don't see happening) Dak isn't going to be happy and if we stay with Dak, Romo won't be happy. They won't be able to coexist so Romo won't be back UNLESS Dak unexpectedly crashes and burns in the next few weeks and Romo has to take over and plays well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
For those continuously trying to make this a pro or anti-Dak, or pro or anti-Romo thing, this excerpt should put this into perspective

excerpt:
-------------
The injury, doctors said, would force Romo to miss the first six to 10 weeks of the season, a prognosis that still had the four-time Pro Bowler rattled when longtime friend Nick Sekeres and others arrived to console him.

“His soul was crushed,” Sekeres said. “It was like walking into a funeral.”

The Cowboys announced Romo’s injury via a conference call with head coach Jason Garrett just before lunch. Almost immediately, phones throughout Romo's home began to vibrate. Romo was mostly silent as replays of him writhing in pain flashed across the television screen. Then something hit him.

"I've gotta call Dak," Romo said.

Excusing himself, Romo slipped away and spent the next 15 minutes on the phone pumping up and offering advice to Dak Prescott, the rookie fourth-round draft pick who’d be thrust into the starting role as a result of Romo’s latest setback.

-----------

In other words, they are both above any of those wallowing in the gutter over this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If we make the playoffs and Romo never sees the field this season, he'll be going somewhere during the offseason or he'll retire. Can't enter next season with a QB controversy it could lead to a distraction because one QB isn't going to be happy carrying a clipboard. You go back to Romo next year (which I don't see happening) Dak isn't going to be happy and if we stay with Dak, Romo won't be happy. They won't be able to coexist so Romo won't be back UNLESS Dak unexpectedly crashes and burns in the next few weeks and Romo has to take over and plays well.

That is a possibility then again it is hard to say if the 2 could coexist. I think if it is a case where Romo does not take over as the starter then next season he could be released because of his pay. I doubt the Cowboys will want to carry that big of a salary as a backup.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
CwX2H-oXEAAVuWX.jpg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo had an elite running game one season(2014).

He had some decent run games but never a team that could impose their will like this year and 2014.

Despite the elite running game we still didn't get past the second round of the playoffs. Romo played well against Green Bay but he only only attempted 19 passes. He did make a poor decision going to Dez on a 50/50 jump ball on a manageable 4th and 2 with over 4 minutes to play. He can't carry too much of the load with his age and health issues. Dak is able to do more because he's young and can run. He's scored 4 TD's this season due to the read option and his ability to run. He can take this team a long way if the defense gets better and we find a pass rush. He avoids sacks that Romo can't and he protects the football better. If we can build a defense we'll win a championship with him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is also a possibility that due to his affinity for the club, Romo could allow the club to release him as what was formerly known as a June 1st cap casualty. If that were the case, then only the 2017 prorated bonus amount ($10.7 million) would hit the cap next year, giving Dallas the savings of Romo’s entire 2017 base salary, $14 million.
If that were the case, then the $8.9 million prorated amounts for 2018 and 2019 would then be on the 2018 salary cap as dead money.
That would mean the Cowboys would save $10.6 million on the 2018 cap, and still the same $23.7 million in 2019 space.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...es-what-happens-if-tony-romo-retires-in-2016/

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That is a possibility then again it is hard to say if the 2 could coexist. I think if it is a case where Romo does not take over as the starter then next season he could be released because of his pay. I doubt the Cowboys will want to carry that big of a salary as a backup.

Romo isn't going to settle for a backup job but Dak will have no choice but to settle but I firmly believe if he continues to play well and we make the playoffs, the Cowboys will be going forward with him as the starter next season. Chances are Romo will be released or retire. He still probably wants to play in hopes of winning a SB but he's too brittle and won't be able to play a full 16 games for anyone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo isn't going to settle for a backup job but Dak will have no choice but to settle but I firmly believe if he continues to play well and we make the playoffs, the Cowboys will be going forward with him as the starter next season. Chances are Romo will be released or retire. He still probably wants to play in hopes of winning a SB but he's too brittle and won't be able to play a full 16 games for anyone.

I always hate to say what someone else will do. You could be right but I don't think we are in a position to talk for Tony Romo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I always hate to say what someone else will do. You could be right but I don't think we are in a position to talk for Tony Romo.

Retirement is a possibility with the injuries he's had but if the team releases him there isn't anything he can do about that. The way Dak has played and with all the injuries and games Romo has missed along with his age the writing is pretty much on the wall as to what's going to happen during the offseason. It's hard to go forward with a QB who's missed as many games as Romo has the past two seasons.