News: Tony Romo Isn't Going Anywhere

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
And that's a good reason to go back to him and bench Dak? lol Was that his average in 2014 or his last two regular-season games? By the way what have we won with Romo? I want to see where we can go with Dak.
Yes. I want him back in because of his average snap to throw time. Come on are you being serious? I want Romo back because if healthy he is much better than Dak at the most important position in sports and we have a team that can contend.

Reactions: Coy

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes. I want him back in because of his average snap to throw time. Come on are you being serious? I want Romo back because if healthy he is much better than Dak at the most important position in sports and we have a team that can contend.

He's not going to be better than Dak because he's been one of the most efficient QBs in the league this season. Romo is going to turn the ball over more than Dak and he's going to take more sacks. We lose the read option with Romo. Do you not understand how important an element the read option has been to our offense this season? Do you honestly think the players are going to want Dak benched? You don't think making a QB change in the midst off all the winning we're doing isn't going to divide the locker room? Benching Dak for Romo could destroy the chemistry this team has why can't you see that? This team believes in Dak.

There's NO WAY Jerry and the coaching staff are all going to agree that benching Dak and going back to Romo is the best thing for this team. You don't make a QB change unless a change is needed. We're tied for the best record in the entire league and are 2 games up in the NFC East and some of you want to go back to Romo. LOL Where have we ever gotten with Romo? We're not going to get anywhere with him that we haven't already been.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He's not going to be better than Dak because he's been one of the most efficient QBs in the league this season. Romo is going to turn the ball over more than Dak and he's going to take more sacks. We lose the read option with Romo. Do you not understand how important an element the read option has been to our offense this season? Do you honestly think the players are going to want Dak benched? You don't think making a QB change in the midst off all the winning we're doing isn't going to divide the locker room? Benching Dak for Romo could destroy the chemistry this team has why can't you see that? This team believes in Dak.

There's NO WAY Jerry and the coaching staff are all going to agree that benching Dak and going back to Romo is the best thing for this team. You don't make a QB change unless a change is needed. We're tied for the best record in the entire league and are 2 games up in the NFC East and some of you want to go back to Romo. LOL Where have we ever gotten with Romo? We're not going to get anywhere with him that we haven't already been.
If you're watching Dak and think he's better than a healthy Romo then let's just agree to disagree.

I hope you actually get to watch a few Cowboys games this season. You've been unlucky to miss all 7.

Gator88

Reaction score

The read option will be shutdown by teams like Seattle and New England, it's not a big deal against the quality teams. I doubt players would care if the better QB was put in, Romo was shown to be the better QB in the preseason, and his last healthy season was played at a far higher level than Dak can reach at this point in his career. I don't think players cared when Dez was put back in over Butler, same situation here. You play your better players period, if you bench better players, that'd be when I think chemistry starts becoming an issue.

Turnover wise, Dak has had 6 balls hit the defenders in the hands that likely should have been turnovers in the last 2 weeks, while Tony had 12 turnovers all of 2014. I think the rookie is likely to have more turnovers against playoff level teams, of which he hasn't faced many if any.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The read option will be shutdown by teams like Seattle and New England, it's not a big deal against the quality teams. I doubt players would care if the better QB was put in, Romo was shown to be the better QB in the preseason, and his last healthy season was played at a far higher level than Dak can reach at this point in his career. I don't think players cared when Dez was put back in over Butler, same situation here. You play your better players period, if you bench better players, that'd be when I think chemistry starts becoming an issue.

Turnover wise, Dak has had 6 balls hit the defenders in the hands that likely should have been turnovers in the last 2 weeks, while Tony had 12 turnovers all of 2014. I think the rookie is likely to have more turnovers against playoff level teams, of which he hasn't faced many if any.

I won't begrudge Dak Prescott getting the team into some real high cotton. Now, with two more consecutive wins - Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and the team will be tuning up for their playoff run. Tony Romo will be highly involved at that point. But he has to prove himself as well. That, though, I don't doubt...myself.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you're watching Dak and think he's better than a healthy Romo then let's just agree to disagree.

I hope you actually get to watch a few Cowboys games this season. You've been unlucky to miss all 7.

I don't care how healthy Romo can get this season he's missed too many games to come back and be better than Dak has been. He's not going to be sharp! Benching Dak as good as he and this team has been will cause a divide in the locker room. It's almost like you and a few others haven't even watched the games this season, Dak has played terrific and this team is starting to look special with him at QB. The only way Romo sees the field this season is if Dak is injured or the wheels start coming off his game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The players are going to care a lot if Dak is pulled while he's playing well and the team is winning. No team in their right mind would make a QB change as well as Dak and this team has played this season. Right now he's the better QB and he's the one who's led the team to a 6-1 record. Benching him could cause a divide in the locker room that could wreck everything we've built this season. We don't have to concern ourselves with what Seattle or New England can do against the read option until the postseason. Turnover wise Dak only has 3 that's what matters. Romo turns the ball over especially when he's rusty and he takes sacks. Romo had 12 turnovers in 2014 and Dak is on pace to have half that many.

robjay04

Reaction score
Despite the elite running game we still didn't get past the second round of the playoffs. Romo played well against Green Bay but he only only attempted 19 passes. He did make a poor decision going to Dez on a 50/50 jump ball on a manageable 4th and 2 with over 4 minutes to play. He can't carry too much of the load with his age and health issues. Dak is able to do more because he's young and can run. He's scored 4 TD's this season due to the read option and his ability to run. He can take this team a long way if the defense gets better and we find a pass rush. He avoids sacks that Romo can't and he protects the football better. If we can build a defense we'll win a championship with him.

Troy Aikman had one of the most elite running games of all time and he "only" won 3 Super Bowls.

Point is, you're not going to win every year, you will fall short from time to time. I do believe that Romo can get a ring playing behind this line and with this RB if given the opportunity and his health permits.

I don't want them to take Dak out though until it makes sense.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Troy Aikman had one of the most elite running games of all time and he "only" won 3 Super Bowls.

Point is, you're not going to win every year, you will fall short from time to time. I do believe that Romo can get a ring playing behind this line and with this RB if given the opportunity and his health permits.

I don't know if this was a reply to someone, Rob, because I have some folks on ignore now, but that was a marvelous post, buddy. This is exactly how I feel. Very succinctly put, and I just wanted to co-sign it (for whatever that's worth to you). :)

Tell 'em Rob, it's okay to love Romo and still root hard for Dak. :)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Troy Aikman played in a run oriented era and had better defenses and a better head coach. He was a young QB when he won those SB's who wasn't asked to do near as much as QBs have to do today to win SBs. He never had to pass for more than 3445 and 23 TD's during his SB seasons. Troy wasn't coming off a bunch of injuries and 18 missed games over 2 seasons to lead the team to any of those championships. The point is Romo has become too injury prone and has missed too many games to get back in the saddle and do what he needs to do for this team to win a championship. He's going to have to put up a lot more production than Aikman did for the Cowboys to get over the hump and it's going to be difficult for him to hold up. He doesn't have a defense that's going to be able to bail the offense out if the turnovers start coming. We don't have a Charles Haley terrorizing QBs. You have Romo FANS wanting to take Dak out now when it doesn't make an ounce of sense.

He makes one big mistake last week that he made up for during the game and when the game was on the line but you have Romo FANS trying to spin that he had a terrible game and that we would have won going away if Romo was playing. :facepalm: I guess these FANS forgot what happened to Romo the last time he faced a stiff pass rush against Carolina. We need a young QB who can elude a pass rush and make some plays with their legs. We can't have a sitting glass duck back there that defenses are pinning their ears back trying to take out. We need the read option in our offense, it's very difficult to defend especially in the redzone with the QB/RB combo we have. Dak has brought an excitement and energy to the team and to the fan base that I haven't seen in years. He's got this team stepping up and believing and we could go a long way this season if the defense doesn't let us down. Even the defense has stepped up and made some critical plays.

This kid is special and if some can't see it they must be wearing blinders. Dak has intangibles that I don't see with Romo. He's got great leadership, poise and he embraces pressure and doesn't fold under it. The Cowboys had some very good teams in the late 60s early 70s that couldn't get over the hump until Staubach came along. I'm certainly not saying Dak is Roger Staubach but there's something about him that's causing this team to elevate it's play. When you have a QB that can make players around them better you've really hit on something. The last 2 games have convinced me the Cowboys have hit the power ball with Dak and those who want him benched only to go back to where we've already been with Romo are out of their minds.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I'm watching Dak and thinking he's better than Romo is "now" after all the injuries and missed games while you're thinking of the Romo in 2014 who had a career year. I'm living in the present with a QB who's young, healthy and has been playing well all season, while you're thinking of what Romo was 2 years ago. No one knows where Romo's game is after a broken back and full year away from regular season action. The last two regular season games Romo played vs Miami and Carolina he didn't come remotely close to looking as good as the Dak Prescott we've been seeing this season. If you look at Dak's numbers they're on par with the numbers Romo was putting up the first 7 games in 2014 but Dak has 3 fewer turnovers and has taken one fewer sack. He's only accounted for one fewer TD than Romo after 7 games.

In Dak's last 2 games he's accounted for 6 TD's rushing and passing. He's been terrific and if anyone thinks that Romo is going to hit the field after just coming off a broken back with all the missed games and look as good as Dak has looked they're kidding themselves. Every time Romo has come back from lengthy layoffs due to injury it's led to multiple INT's. He was rusty for the season opener in 2014 missing a lot of practice time due to recovering from back surgery and it led to his worst game that season, tossing 3 picks. When Romo is off his game he compounds one mistake with another, it's led to some meltdowns.

We can't afford turnovers and Romo turns the ball over especially when he's rusty. Come Dec/Jan we're going to need efficiency at the QB position, not a QB trying to work off rust and get their game back on track. Dak is getting better every week, you can see that with the TD passes that are starting to come. The pressure to try and keep from screwing this season up would be too much for Romo if he replaced Dak when he and the team are playing well. For Romo to end up a hero and not a goat this season, Dak would have to be injured in a big game late in the year and Romo comes in and saves the day.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I'm watching Dak and thinking he's better than Romo is "now" after all the injuries and missed games while you're thinking of the Romo in 2014 who had a career year. I'm living in the present with a QB who's young, healthy and has been playing well all season, while you're thinking of what Romo was 2 years ago. No one knows where Romo's game is after a broken back and full year away from regular season action. The last two regular season games Romo played vs Miami and Carolina he didn't come remotely close to looking as good as the Dak Prescott we've been seeing this season. If you look at Dak's numbers they're on par with the numbers Romo was putting up the first 7 games in 2014 but Dak has 3 fewer turnovers and has taken one fewer sack. He's only accounted for one fewer TD than Romo after 7 games.

In Dak's last 2 games he's accounted for 6 TD's rushing and passing. He's been terrific and if anyone thinks that Romo is going to hit the field after just coming off a broken back with all the missed games and look as good as Dak has looked they're kidding themselves. Every time Romo has come back from lengthy layoffs due to injury it's led to multiple INT's. He was rusty for the season opener in 2014 missing a lot of practice time due to recovering from back surgery and it led to his worst game that season, tossing 3 picks. When Romo is off his game he compounds one mistake with another, it's led to some meltdowns.

We can't afford turnovers and Romo turns the ball over especially when he's rusty. Come Dec/Jan we're going to need efficiency at the QB position, not a QB trying to work off rust and get their game back on track. Dak is getting better every week, you can see that with the TD passes that are starting to come. The pressure to try and keep from screwing this season up would be too much for Romo if he replaced Dak when he and the team are playing well. For Romo to end up a hero and not a goat this season, Dak would have to be injured in a big game late in the year and Romo comes in and saves the day.
You don't know if 2014 Romo is gone. We never got to see that healthy Romo becuase he went down early and was rushed back.

If 2014 Romo is gone so be it. We owe it to ourselves to find out. Byy all accounts he was great leading up to his injury.

What you're failing to see or just ignoring is that everyone who wants Tony back out there is under the assumption he is on his game...if he isn't...then you sit him again. If Dak is who we think he is he should be able to handle it. If something like that breaks him. Then we haven't found our franchise QB.

Stop treating Dak like he's porcelain.

Also doing a game 7 by game 7 analysis is extremely silly. Unless the personnel across both teams and the opponents across all those years is exactly the same it's a meaningless comparison. Stop.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
You don't know if 2014 Romo is gone. We never got to see that healthy Romo becuase he went down early and was rushed back.

If 2014 Romo is gone so be it. We owe it to ourselves to find out. Byy all accounts he was great leading up to his injury.

What you're failing to see or just ignoring is that everyone who wants Tony back out there is under the assumption he is on his game...if he isn't...then you sit him again. If Dak is who we think he is he should be able to handle it. If something like that breaks him. Then we haven't found our franchise QB.

Also doing a game 7 by game 7 analysis is extremely silly. Unless the personnel across both teams and the opponents across all those years is exactly the same it's a meaningless comparison. Stop.

Now come on man. You can't trust all the players on the team who were talking about how GOOD Romo looked in training camp this year! They were obviously just biased or something!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I told you he's never going to be totally healthy having had 3 different back injuries. He's become a china doll the past season and a half. He was rushed back from the collarbone but the injury wasn't bothering him. The injury didn't cause him to throw 5 picks in less than 2 games, it was the rust from inactivity that caused it. We've seen a healthy Romo for a good portion of his career and what have we won? I think most who want Romo back under center want him to go out winning a SB. Even if Romo were to miraculously get back to the level of play we saw from him in 2014 as soon as he hit the field again, Dak still makes our offense more dangerous due to the read option and his ability to run. Even Romo at his best took more sacks and turned the ball over more than Dak has. Romo took 29 sacks in 2014 despite a career low in attempts in which he played at least 15 games.

Making a 7 game comparison between Romo's 2014 season and Dak's 2016 season isn't silly. They both had the leagues leading rusher and both defenses had issues. We have basically the same players on offense except for Zeke replacing Murray and Dak had to do without Dez for 3 games and still won, while Romo never had to do without Dez in 2014. Our offense is currently ranked higher than it was in 2014. Dak provides more problems for defenses than Romo because he can run. He can extend plays like Romo and escape pressure like Romo when he was at his Houdini best but he can he can run and make a big play, which is something Romo could rarely ever do. Dak is a duel threat!

Dak has added an element to our offense that we haven't had since the days of Roger Staubach. Benching him while he's playing well and the team is winning isn't going to break him but it would most surely divide the locker room which could damage the chemistry we've built this season. If Romo were to go out and start turning the ball over and it leads to an ugly loss, it could kill our momentum and even bringing Dak back the following week might not get us back on track. You don't try and fix what isn't broken. You only bring back Romo if he needs to come back.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Now come on man. You can't trust all the players on the team who were talking about how GOOD Romo looked in training camp this year! They were obviously just biased or something!

He was looking good 4 months ago until he broke his back costing him at least half this season. What he was looking like prior to his latest back injury and what he's looking like now after a lot of inactivity is another story. No QB in the entire league looked better than Dak in preseason, not even Romo. The play Romo was chased down on and broke his back, Dak runs away and makes a positive play.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He was looking good 4 months ago until he broke his back costing him at least half this season. What he was looking like prior to his latest back injury and what he's looking like now after a lot of inactivity is another story. No QB in the entire league looked better than Dak in preseason, not even Romo. The play Romo was chased down on and broke his back, Dak runs away and makes a positive play.
IF you're arguing that he can't stay healthy...hey that's acceptable.

But you're arguing he is no longer good. That's just flying in the face of all available evidence. But do you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
IF you're arguing that he can't stay healthy...hey that's acceptable.

But you're arguing he is no longer good. That's just flying in the face of all available evidence. But do you.

I never once said he's no longer good, I said we don't know where his game is currently and that it's not very likely after all the injuries and missed games that he'll be able to get back to the high level of play we saw in 2014. We have a great season going that could end up being a special season and some like you want to jeopardize it by going back to an aging QB who's coming off a broken back and has missed 12 straight regular season games dating back to last season. It boggles the mind that some want to replace a young QB who's had a terrific season, leading the team to 6 straight wins to go back to a beat up Romo who's never led the team past the second round of the playoffs. It's mind blowing! You would think even the Romo FANS would be curious to see how far Dak could take this team.

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
The Romo debate is getting so old and it kills me to see individuals with a common love for the Dallas Cowboys draw lines in the sand and being either a Romosexual or a Dak Sucker...I for one am very happy that we have finally found our future QB.

While Dak gives us the run threat which is an awesome asset to have especially in the redzone, but he still has a lot to learn. Romo gives us the constant threat of the long ball, more experience reading defenses and that back shoulder throw to Dez is almost automatic.

I believe Romo gives us more opourtunitues to win, but am giddy with Dak as our QB. He plays amazing ball and the dude is as cool as a cucumber. Just wait to see how much better he gets when he gets more knowlwdge of the game! In my opinion he is not better than Romo, but is going to be. Love them both and dont see a reason to spend all day in these forum "trying to be right" at all costs.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
That line couldn't run block from 2006-2010. Recall what a regular sight it was back then to watch Marion Barber, Tashard Choice, Julius Jones or Felix Jones get dropped in the backfield about 5-6 times a game. The reason Garrett developed a reputation for abandoning the run too early was because we often weren't moving the ball on the ground.

The offense was way too one dimensional with Romo airing it out, and yet even despite that, even with the Cowboys defense still handing away lead after lead in the 2nd half of games, many times Romo managed to get that last score and win the game.

Of course, after many times getting the lead back 2-3 teams in the second half, Romo also failed to get that last score. Most 4th quarter comeback wins in Cowboys history, but the haters only want to talk about what a 'choker' he is.

This is exactly 100% on point. We had a few flashes running the ball, but overall you couldn't trust it. . Not until 2014'