Too high or Too Low: Prescott

CCBoy

Reaction score
It is a fact that no one has ever thrown for 6,000 yards in a season. In fact, no one has ever thrown for 5,500 yards in a season.

Only 4 times has anyone gotten within 800 yards.

Adding one game to the season is unlikely to get anyone that extra 500 - 800 yards. Wouldn't you agree?

To get to 6000, you are talking averaging 353 yards per game even with the 17 game season. Or roughly 10 yards per game more than two of the most prolific QB's of all time. Manning & Brees. Sure, it's possible, but doubtful.

Projecting a full year outcome to be historic based off a handful of games is one thing if it's acknowledged as a pie in the sky discussion point. Intellectually dishonest if expected to be anything more than that.

Hoooah, you discussed the difficulty in setting a NFL record. That is a truthful reality, but not the context of current conditions that do exist now. ALL NFL records do fall.

To substitute doubt instead of potential...just isn't an unbiased position. It can be done and this present group of Cowboys, at least now...have the potential.

To add either Manning or Brees, doesn't even cross compare respective teams or the current conditions in today's NFL.

The Cowboys offensive line is again at the level for just sustainability, as well as a trio of receivers fully capable of topping a 1,000 yards each. This does not also include to productive tight ends and two running backs that will also contribute strongly to totals.

No, the potential is there...if agreed to or not.

Just figuring...

Cooper 1400
Lamb 1200
Gallup 1000

3600 from these 3

tight ends, say 1200

Jarwin 600
Schultz 600

Running backs

Elliott 600
Pollard 600

Now, that could be doable.

Right now, Tyler Biadasz, can not be replaced for injury...

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Hoooah, you discussed the difficulty in setting a NFL record. That is a truthful reality, but not the context of current conditions that do exist now. ALL NFL records do fall.

To substitute doubt instead of potential...just isn't an unbiased position. It can be done and this present group of Cowboys, at least now...have the potential.

To add either Manning or Brees, doesn't even cross compare respective teams or the current conditions in today's NFL.

The Cowboys offensive line is again at the level for just sustainability, as well as a trio of receivers fully capable of topping a 1,000 yards each. This does not also include to productive tight ends and two running backs that will also contribute strongly to totals.

No, the potential is there...if agreed to or not.

I acknowledged the possibility but you said you wanted only facts. The facts say it's Very Unlikely.
Only likely if they add more games. When Marino set the record in '84 he only eclipsed Fouts by only 282 yards. Fouts had previously expanded the record by 1000 yards from Jurgensen's 1967 record BUT it took the addition of TWO games AND the introduction of pass interference AND allowing offensive linemen to block with extended arms & open hands. And it took Fouts three years to get that 1K difference (he increased it each year 79-81). This time it's only one game and no major rule changes which would benefit the passing game and you would need more than 500 yards. I would wager a substantial amount that no one comes close to 6K this year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I acknowledged the possibility but you said you wanted only facts. The facts say it's Very Unlikely.
Only likely if they add more games. When Marino set the record in '84 he only eclipsed Fouts by only 282 yards. Fouts had previously expanded the record by 1000 yards from Jurgensen's 1967 record BUT it took the addition of TWO games AND the introduction of pass interference AND allowing offensive linemen to block with extended arms & open hands. And it took Fouts three years to get that 1K difference (he increased it each year 79-81). This time it's only one game and no major rule changes which would benefit the passing game and you would need more than 500 yards. I would wager a substantial amount that no one comes close to 6K this year.

No, that is your bias...and ignoring of the fact of change always present in sport. As to extra games, being on track wasn't enhanced last season and the case could and was made of the possibility of doing it. Credable sources following the NFL, acknowledging this potential...and before an extra game being added.

Also, you ignored a composit of potentials doable in the current roster...and instead say previous X's and O's remove the potential. Fact, stereotypes do not substitute for potentials. Using that logic, our Revolutionary War would have gone to England and we all would be Brits.

The offensive line has no rooks. The running backs are not rooks. The trio of wide receivers are well established now. The tight ends have NFL experience and proven records as well.

Any NFL record breaking takes optimum conditions, but hey, that is football.

Set a standard, that doesn't first start in doubt...for discussion, was my statement. Facts have to be applied, and not upon a stereotype only.

This is what Dak had during his five first games:

Prescott threw for 1,856 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions before falling to the turf in Week 5. The Cowboys were first in passing yards per game with Prescott (381.4) and 28th without him (204.9).

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/7/12/22574111/dak-prescott-ranked-as-the-seventh-
best-quarterback-in-the-nfl

That is with not completing the 5th game. It is possible that this could have even improved.
I wonder what a defense would have then added?

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
setting the bar high, heh? Something that has only been done 16 times.

I still see it as attainable for Stafford. His division doesn't have top flight secondary play currently. I feel confident he'll be in the 35 range unless they get that run game humming & just rely on it.
I’m not setting the bar for him I’m just saying if he’s as good as they say then he has the tools to do it there. Rams are stacked and have a great offensive mind. I don’t expect him to do it….

Also keep in mind there’s 2 more games this year. That should help guys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If one really wishes to present a negative fact, here that is:

Prescott, however, has not always been great against high-level teams. In 2019, Dallas was 1-6 against opponents that made the playoffs, with Prescott throwing for eight touchdowns to eight interceptions in those matchups. Against non-playoff teams, Prescott cleaned up, with 22 touchdowns to three interceptions and a 7-2 record. For his career, Prescott is 9-17 against eventual playoff teams.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ed-as-the-seventh-best-quarterback-in-the-nfl

First, Dak has always been good at progressions. Now he is working upon down field completions as well as successfully working smaller deep windows.

Again, my this season mantra: who have they beaten?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Championships are done by teams , but comebacks are not? Strange.....
I’m amused how many people can’t tell the difference. That’s the sad thing Championships take an entire season. Comebacks are a quarterback thing. And the final two minutes in the game is on the line. And that’s football. Everything else in between is just what it is playing the game. Do you not know this

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Facts:

Chicago Bears Justin Fields 2021
Jacksonville Jaguars Trevor Lawrence 2021
New York Jets Zach Wilson 2021
Cincinnati Bengals Joe Burrow 2020
Los Angeles Chargers Justin Herbert 2020
Miami Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa 2020
Philadelphia Eagles Jalen Hurts 2020
Arizona Cardinals Kyler Murray 2019
Denver Broncos Drew Lock 2019
New York Giants Daniel Jones 2019
Baltimore Ravens Lamar Jackson 2018
Buffalo Bills Josh Allen 2018
Carolina Panthers Sam Darnold 2018
Cleveland Browns Baker Mayfield 2018
Houston Texans Deshaun Watson 2017
Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes 2017
Dallas Cowboys Dak Prescott 2016
Detroit Lions Jared Goff 2016
Indianapolis Colts Carson Wentz 2016
New Orleans Saints Jameis Winston 2015
Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr 2014
San Francisco 49ers Jimmy Garappolo 2014
Minnesota Vikings Kirk Cousins 2012
Seattle Seahawks Russell Wilson 2012
Tennessee Titans Ryan Tannehill 2012
New England Patriots Cam Newton 2011
Los Angeles Rams Matthew Stafford 2009
Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan 2008
Washington Football Team Ryan Fitzpatrick 2007
Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers 2005
Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roelishberger 2004
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tom Brady 2000

Depending on how things shake out with Garappolo Winston, Newton, and Rodgers up to/over half the starting QBs could have less years in the league than QB1. Decisions based on stats back to 2016 limit your choices.
I have no idea what you’re trying to say

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Boy, you are hard headed.

I, along with everyone else knows that Russ, AR & Mahomes are all elite talents that have been doing it year in & year out.

Mahomes has not sucked in any single game he has played in the NFL. You can try to speak it into existence but it's simply not true. Guess you don't understand the team aspect of the game.
Hardheaded know. I understand professional football yes. Yeah go along with the media and Call Mahomes elite. It just shows how much you really don’t know. Everybody follows the crowd Mahomes Mahomes. Most overrated quarterback ever in my opinion right now. And many professionals also. Follow the crowd just like everybody else enjoy it. I guess you didn’t watch last year’s Super Bowl. Under throwing players overthrowing players missing the Hail Mary. He stunk up the field

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’m amused how many people can’t tell the difference. That’s the sad thing Championships take an entire season. Comebacks are a quarterback thing. And the final two minutes in the game is on the line. And that’s football. Everything else in between is just what it is playing the game. Do you not know this

Both scenarios require a team...

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Both scenarios require a team...
Try to tell that that people that hate Prescott. But praise all the quarterbacks in the Same scenario. The hypocrisy is mine blowing. So many people have lost integrity and what they say

CCBoy

Reaction score
Try to tell that that people that hate Prescott. But praise all the quarterbacks in the Same scenario. The hypocrisy is mine blowing. So many people have lost integrity and what they say

...not my worry, I'm an old Cowboys fan.:)

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I’m not setting the bar for him I’m just saying if he’s as good as they say then he has the tools to do it there. Rams are stacked and have a great offensive mind. I don’t expect him to do it….

Also keep in mind there’s 2 more games this year. That should help guys.

1 more game this year, but yeah that will help.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Post a link to even one "professional" who says Mahomes is most overrated QB ever.

Can't do that cause it don't exist.

I'll make it easier, post a link to even one "professional" who says he's overrated at all.

Agree. That link don't exist.
Mahomes is in a league of his own. To quote: "This list is utterly dominated by Patrick Mahomes. Incredibly, he’s had just one game so far with a QBR below 45. Relative to his peers, Mahomes is truly on a different planet."

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Post a link to even one "professional" who says Mahomes is most overrated QB ever.

Can't do that cause it don't exist.

I'll make it easier, post a link to even one "professional" who says he's overrated at all.
Terry Bradshaw said it on national TV. Pay attention

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Fine by me. I didn't stutter. I said QBs that didn't enter the league until 2017 and after haven't played enough games to qualify for your "most comebacks since 2016."

But you choose whoever you want by whatever criteria you think is valid.
Thank you for clarifying. I don’t believe in statistics anyways.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agree. That link don't exist.
Mahomes is in a league of his own. To quote: "This list is utterly dominated by Patrick Mahomes. Incredibly, he’s had just one game so far with a QBR below 45. Relative to his peers, Mahomes is truly on a different planet."
Overrated, media lover boy. Throw his players under the bus. You can have him . I’ll take Prescott any day of the week over him