Too high or Too Low: Prescott

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't know where you are getting this from but I couldn't disagree more. I don't think anyone goes by your definition.
Try just thinking of the term and defining it as it actually is at its' core.

The passing pocket, or the pocket, is a term used in American football to describe the area in the backfield created on a passing play where the offensive line forms a wall of protection around the quarterback.

Therefore the pocket passer is one who operates, within the pocket, i.e. the wall of protection.

Fans later starting using it to debate running QB versus pocket passers but that's always been shallow.
Troy Aikman was a prototypical pocket passer but he was plenty fast and able to run for yardage. He just wasn't the guy who extends plays and improvises.

It's not just about the QB but the offensive style.
Steve Young wasn't a pocket passer. Not just because he was so athletic but also because he ran the WCO and so much was done outside that wall of protection.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Dont let them get ya down Whirlwin, its your opinion and its not crazy...most of the people trying to take you to task on it are on other threads yelling at people all the time about "dont tell me how to be a fan" while they are here laughing at your opinion. You like Dak you have said why and you stick to it......good for you!
technically, I only gave him a face palm to begin with. the ridicule didn't start until he made other statements ....:muttley:

DFWJC

Reaction score
People think Matt STafford is top 5 good?Yikes.......
I don't think I've seen him in any 2021 Top 5....so no

But NFL.com has him the highest I've seen at 6 :omg:
I think he's still good if finally given a line and run game. But at this stage his career, not THAT good

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Dak played for the Philly, New York, or Washington nobody on here would have him in their top 6.

No way, no how.
If Dak played in those cities half this board would have had him top 3 because half the board had a lesser guy in Wentz there LAST YEAR before he was benched.

Dak is very realistically top 6. And he'll likely be top 3 in actual production next year same way he was 1 in production last year when injured, and the week after.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
There was emotional based irrational “hating” of Tony Romo. The same thing goes on with Dak.

The biggest fan base naturally has the largest group of people like that. They make this site more interesting.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Try just thinking of the term and defining it as it actually is at its' core.

The passing pocket, or the pocket, is a term used in American football to describe the area in the backfield created on a passing play where the offensive line forms a wall of protection around the quarterback.

Therefore the pocket passer is one who operates, within the pocket, i.e. the wall of protection.

Fans later starting using it to debate running QB versus pocket passers but that's always been shallow.
Troy Aikman was a prototypical pocket passer but he was plenty fast and able to run for yardage. He just wasn't the guy who extends plays and improvises.

It's not just about the QB but the offensive style.
Steve Young wasn't a pocket passer. Not just because he was so athletic but also because he ran the WCO and so much was done outside that wall of protection.

I think most people dropped the "one who operates, within the pocket" part of the definition for "one who seeks to pass the ball if possible before trying to gain yardage on the ground". Maybe I'm wrong. Would be curious to see how majority of folks define. Maybe a poll question?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think I've seen him in any 2021 Top 5....so no

But NFL.com has him the highest I've seen at 6 :omg:
I think he's still good if finally given a line and run game. But at this stage his career, not THAT good
Did you read the Twitter feed? There are people literally saying he'll be top 5 with McVey lol.

And even #6 is extreme. Maybe he has the best year of his career but based on what he's shown us I can't say that RIGHT NOW. I'd have to wait for him to actually show that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Did you read the Twitter feed? There are people literally saying he'll be top 5 with McVey lol.

And even #6 is extreme. Maybe he has the best year of his career but based on what he's shown us I can't say that RIGHT NOW. I'd have to wait for him to actually show that.

He’s past his prime….not top 6
Those guys seem to be talking fantasy number anyway.

Btw…With our line, WRs, and Zeke….I could see him putting up gigantic numbers. Especially given that our D might require us to throw more.

He doesnt.
But if he had to put 5000+, 40+TDs , he could…and HAS done it before, with less games.

But the Rams have that great D and dont have our WR group or Zeke.
he wont need to but up giant numbers

Must be nice

his best TD-int was 25 ….so that would be one the best all-time for Dallas.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He’s past his prime….not top 6
Those guys seem to be talking fantasy number anyway.

Btw…With our line, WRs, and Zeke….I could see him putting up gigantic numbers. Especially given that our D might require us to throw more.

He doesnt.
But if he had to put 5000+, 40+TDs , he could…and HAS done it before, with less games.

But the Rams have that great D and dont have our WR group or Zeke.
he wont need to but up giant numbers

Must be nice

his best TD-int was 25 ….so that would be one the best all-time for Dallas.
Rams are stacked...you guys just get on the hype of the Cowboys because everyone overhypes the talent here....They have a solid running game and a solid group of wide receivers. They are currently built for Stafford to throw for 40 TD's if he's capable...he's not.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Rams are stacked...you guys just get on the hype of the Cowboys because everyone overhypes the talent here....They have a solid running game and a solid group of wide receivers. They are currently built for Stafford to throw for 40 TD's if he's capable...he's not.
They have a solid line too....way better than he is used to on average thru his career.

Lots of "agrees" from me.

• I agree also that their WR group is good....not as good as our top 3, but plenty good enough
  • I agree their RBs are ok too......not as good as Zeke/Pollard....but again, good enough for someone who has just barely had one 1000 yard rusher his entire career. He'll be happy!
  • And I also agree that, yes, he is fully capable of going for 40 TDs though I'm not predicting it. With 17 games though, maybe....

McKDaddy

Reaction score
They are currently built for Stafford to throw for 40 TD's if he's capable...he's not.

setting the bar high, heh? Something that has only been done 16 times.

I still see it as attainable for Stafford. His division doesn't have top flight secondary play currently. I feel confident he'll be in the 35 range unless they get that run game humming & just rely on it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They have a solid line too....way better than he is used to on average thru his career.

Lots of "agrees" from me.

• I agree also that their WR group is good....not as good as our top 3, but plenty good enough
  • I agree their RBs are ok too......not as good as Zeke/Pollard....but again, good enough for someone who has just barely had one 1000 yard rusher his entire career. He'll be happy!
  • And I also agree that, yes, he is fully capable of going for 40 TDs though I'm not predicting it. With 17 games though, maybe....

Again i coud be wrong, but that whole trade seemed like a coach laying blame on his QB who was not horrible in their first year together. Stafford is good but i expect we see about the same thing we have seen from that offense.....It could be the new trendy ball coach now has been measured up by DC's and they know how to stop him...again we will see and I could be wrong.

CCBoy

Reaction score
but no one has ever sustained those kind of "paces". we see hot starts every year for a variety of players & statistics. football gets harder as the year goes on, it's just a fact.

when you see a player or team put up good numbers down the stretch, then you need to pay attention as it is often an indicator of things to come.

I have been a Cowboys fan since 1960...and again, a stereo type with negativity doesn't explain why potential for just such types of success, in fact, DO NOT exist.

As to beating the record, there are multiple current quarterbacks in the NFL, that DO have a shot at just such a record. Cowboys or NOT. As to the Cowboys, they have as good a set of receivers as any team currently does.

Discuss facts, not just a doubt.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Again i coud be wrong, but that whole trade seemed like a coach laying blame on his QB who was not horrible in their first year together. Stafford is good but i expect we see about the same thing we have seen from that offense.....It could be the new trendy ball coach now has been measured up by DC's and they know how to stop him...again we will see and I could be wrong.
It's one of the non-Cowboys storylines that intrigues me this year.

Goffs production last year was similar to 2019. 2020 ranks
  • 3952 yards (14th)
  • TDs-Ints =7 (22nd)
  • 90 QB rating (23rd)

Since we're going to 17 games, where they rank (or maybe per game ave stats) are easier to compare

But I'm guessing Stafford will be
  • Passing yards (top 5-10)
  • TDs-Ints (top 6-12)
  • QB rating (top 9-12)

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have been a Cowboys fan since 1960...and again, a stereo type with negativity doesn't explain why potential for just such types of success, in fact, DO NOT exist.

As to beating the record, there are multiple current quarterbacks in the NFL, that DO have a shot at just such a record. Cowboys or NOT. As to the Cowboys, they have as good a set of receivers as any team currently does.

Discuss facts, not just a doubt.

It is a fact that no one has ever thrown for 6,000 yards in a season. In fact, no one has ever thrown for 5,500 yards in a season.

Only 4 times has anyone gotten within 800 yards.

Adding one game to the season is unlikely to get anyone that extra 500 - 800 yards. Wouldn't you agree?

To get to 6000, you are talking averaging 353 yards per game even with the 17 game season. Or roughly 10 yards per game more than two of the most prolific QB's of all time. Manning & Brees. Sure, it's possible, but doubtful.

Projecting a full year outcome to be historic based off a handful of games is one thing if it's acknowledged as a pie in the sky discussion point. Intellectually dishonest if expected to be anything more than that.