Too high or Too Low: Prescott

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It is a completely impossible task to rank the top 100 NFL players.
This is just off-season fodder and desperation content.

54 is "fine". It's not shockingly low nor is it shockingly high.
Dak could easily win MVP next year (and yes he will be a top candidate) and you can fall back on the injury excuse for the rating.

I'd personally rank Dak about 10. But I lean heavy QB in this era and have Dak about 5th at QB.
That of course means I think he is fully mentally and physically healthy which is based largely on his practicing in shorts so long before the season starts but not much else.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
:hammer::clap::clap::clap:this is why it's hilarious to see some saying Daks need elite talent around him to win.
I challenge any fan to name a HOF or Super Bowl QB that didn't have at least great coaching, great WR and/or RB OR great defense. There is ONE name that's close IMO .......Dan Marion and even with him you can make a case of Shula. But from Elway, Montana, Aikman, Staubach to Brady, Roger, Wilson and even Maholmes. My point is some posters seem to suggest Mahomes doesn't a coach or 10 other players to win and no I'm not saying Dak is as good. Just suggesting many factors impact's EVERY QB level of success.
Dan Marino won jack squat which furthers your point.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
off top of my head, too high. there are a lot of great players in the NFL. QB's get put on these rankings because of the position when in reality there should probably only be 4-6 QB's in the top 100 players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So that means Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Allen, Jackson, Cousins and Watson (If they list him) are all ahead of Dak? So they have Dak 9th probably? I'm not mad at that. I have Dak 11th in my rankings. I have all those plus Tannehill and Herbert above Dak.
I'm not sure Cousins would fit into that, and like you said, they my not choose to list Watson. Depnding on those things they could have him from 7 to 9. Seems like a pretty fair range.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Zack Martin will be above QB1 and Elliott.
Likely Top 20. Maybe Top 10.

Zack in his prime yes. Zack of the last few years, not so much IMO. I would think 40's would be more representative.
FWIW, I look at these lists as the player today, not their career accomplishments.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Uness Cousins pops up right away, I'd say he's not on the list.

Btw, I think Staford is better than several ahead of him.
At least he'll have a good play-caller.
But Rams WRs are good, but not great, imo. Nowhere near ours
Same with RBs
I'd argue MANY people insanely overrate Matt Stafford. He's been a double digit INT guy his entire career and he has a powerful arm that doesn't include just a lot of touch or quick release mechanics.
He is tough as nails but takes a lot of shots and isn't often 100%.
He lacks great agility at this age and gives you almost nothing of a rush threat.

He is a throwback to a deep ball, cannon-armed pocket passer.

But I do think it will be very interesting in LA. That was the best defense in football last year.
They are cutting edge and int heir own lane on offense.
It could really work.
OR the whole thing could go off the rails fast if he isn't a quick fit to the scheme.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not really, as that level has to occur before breaking the record. You also cloning the negative aspect that with the current offensive talent on this year's team, that he doesn't also have the potential even more, for that level of a record?

Naw, you jumped in too soon, and forget that there are a valid trio that well can have 1,000 yards apiece and two running backs that are great receivers, then two very productive tight ends.

To ignore that could be termed naive in looking forward...

but no one has ever sustained those kind of "paces". we see hot starts every year for a variety of players & statistics. football gets harder as the year goes on, it's just a fact.

when you see a player or team put up good numbers down the stretch, then you need to pay attention as it is often an indicator of things to come.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'd argue MANY people insanely overrate Matt Stafford. He's been a double digit INT guy his entire career and he has a powerful arm that doesn't include just a lot of touch or quick release mechanics.
He is tough as nails but takes a lot of shots and isn't often 100%.
He lacks great agility at this age and gives you almost nothing of a rush threat.

He is a throwback to a deep ball, cannon-armed pocket passer.

But I do think it will be very interesting in LA. That was the best defense in football last year.
They are cutting edge and int heir own lane on offense.
It could really work.
OR the whole thing could go off the rails fast if he isn't a quick fit to the scheme.
Yeah, he is older now.

fwiw, those “pocket passers” have won 17 of the last 20 Super Bowls
Although they all pass well, I’ll exclude Rodgers, Wilson, and Mahomes
Btw, Rodgers has compared Stafford to Mahomes more than once….though we know Mahomes is more mobile.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When you finish you sentence with those three names, everyone knows you are letting your emotional biases rule your rankings.
Don't forget the 4th word from the ending. Lends some context to what I stated don't you think?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Don't forget the 4th word from the ending. Lends some context to what I stated don't you think?

only if you mean some future version of those players compared to a young healthy Dak.

cause as of now, Dak is nowhere near them.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Might as well light it up.....

According to Dalton Miller of Pro Football Network, Prescott is just outside of the top-50, coming in at No. 54 overall. That's ahead of Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley and behind Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen.

Miller also ranked his teammate, running back Ezekiel Elliott, at No. 88 on the list. Here's what Miller had to say about his ranking of the Dallas signal-caller:

"Dak Prescott drops a few spots year to year, but that’s presumably due to the season-ending injury he suffered in Week 5 against the New York Giants. Prescott signed a huge deal in the offseason after lighting defenses on fire before his untimely injury. He appears to be on schedule to start in 2021, and with Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, and Michael Gallup, it’s difficult to see a situation where he doesn’t compete for a passing title this year.

“Prescott’s improvements in his footwork led to drastic improvements in his accuracy in 2019. That carried into 2020, along with his propensity to test defenses instead of playing passively. He could very well play his way into contention for the final page of the NFL Top 100 Rankings going into 2022.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...p-50-in-nfls-best-players-for-2021/ar-AAM04Uo
"Dak Prescott drops a few spots year to year"

I stopped reading after this. What a bunch of crapola.

If anything, Dak has drastically improved every year since his only bad year in 2017 after his amazing rookie year in 2016. This so called writer has got it wrong about Dak.

Flamma

Reaction score
you'd be wrong. several of the young guys may pass him but as of now they have not.

Keep in mind I didn't say they' should be ranked higher, just that I'd take them over Tannehill. I do think Stafford and Mayfield are better. The rest it's hard to tell. But I know it's a lot nicer to have the RB do most of the work for any QB.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Keep in mind I didn't say they' should be ranked higher, just that I'd take them over Tannehill. I do think Stafford and Mayfield are better. The rest it's hard to tell. But I know it's a lot nicer to have the RB do most of the work for any QB.

fair enough. serious question though, have you watched RT much since he has been in TN? I watch most of their games and the guy has played at a high level (at least during regular season). if you haven't been watching him, might want to check him out. he might surprise you.

Xeven

Reaction score
Dak is going big this year. He will come into his own this year. Hopefully Kellen uses Pollard explosiveness more this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, he is older now.

fwiw, those “pocket passers” have won 17 of the last 20 Super Bowls
Although they all pass well, I’ll exclude Rodgers, Wilson, and Mahomes
Btw, Rodgers has compared Stafford to Mahomes more than once….though we know Mahomes is more mobile.
Pure pocket passers are and have been rare for a while now.
Brady is often labeled a pocket passer yet it's a loose definition at best.
He is slow as dirt, yes, but he moves as well as anyone in tight quarters with balance and a plan to escape pressure.
He is definitely not rocket armed and sitting there taking shots to hit deep passes a la the golden era pocket passer.
He is a manipulator of defenses at the LOS who has a very quick release and moves off the spot to complete passes from different arm angles.
Tony Romo likewise was not a pocket passer even thought he had no straight line speed.

Pat, Russ, Rodgers, Brees Are NOT pocket passers. These are all guys who used movement to vary passing angles and launch points.

The game has shifted entirely and Brady is a big part of that.
Teams very seldom go max defend and create a shell for crossing patterns or deep shots.
But that's virtually all 1980 and 1990 football was.

Matt Stafford has taken too many sacks and thrown too many INT to be considered elite pretty much every year of his career.
And while DET has always had various issues they have kept elite receiving options around for Matt Stafford to throw to.
You can certainly argue as most rankings do that Kenny Golladay is a better WR than any current Ram.

The Rams feel as you do of course but I do not believe them.