Too high or Too Low: Prescott

Flamma

Reaction score
fair enough. serious question though, have you watched RT much since he has been in TN? I watch most of their games and the guy has played at a high level (at least during regular season). if you haven't been watching him, might want to check him out. he might surprise you.

That's a good point. I can only watch the games they air. I don't go out of my way to watch Tennessee play.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Pure pocket passers are and have been rare for a while now.
Brady is often labeled a pocket passer yet it's a loose definition at best.
He is slow as dirt, yes, but he moves as well as anyone in tight quarters with balance and a plan to escape pressure.
He is definitely not rocket armed and sitting there taking shots to hit deep passes a la the golden era pocket passer.
He is a manipulator of defenses at the LOS who has a very quick release and moves off the spot to complete passes from different arm angles.
Tony Romo likewise was not a pocket passer even thought he had no straight line speed.

Pat, Russ, Rodgers, Brees Are NOT pocket passers. These are all guys who used movement to vary passing angles and launch points.

The game has shifted entirely and Brady is a big part of that.
Teams very seldom go max defend and create a shell for crossing patterns or deep shots.
But that's virtually all 1980 and 1990 football was.

Matt Stafford has taken too many sacks and thrown too many INT to be considered elite pretty much every year of his career.
And while DET has always had various issues they have kept elite receiving options around for Matt Stafford to throw to.
You can certainly argue as most rankings do that Kenny Golladay is a better WR than any current Ram.

The Rams feel as you do of course but I do not believe them.

Pocket passer is usually defined, at least as I've always understood it, was a quarterback who runs only rarely on purpose, or rolls out to one side just a couple of yards or so. Moving in the pocket, running if there's a wide open gap in the line or keeping the ball on a 4th and one doesn't make someone not a pocket quarterback. Brady has never rushed more than about 3 times a game in all his 20 years in the game.

And despite the Lamar Jacksons in the league, running quarterbacks don't have as much SB success as the Bradys, etc. Going back 20 years sure we've had Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers as SB champs, but also 7 with Brady, 2 with P. Manning, 2 with E. Manning and 2 with Rothliesbuger, none of which would be considered not a "pocket passer". And going back much farther, nobody would consider Aikman or Flacco or Johnson, all SB champs, more than the prototypical pocket passers.

And even Wilson only got to his SBs when having the no. 1 defense, Jackson is a fantastic runner but hasn't even gotten to the SB. It's the same with most things with winning titles, you can do it different ways, don't have to have a great running quarterback or have to have the great pocket passer, but historically jterrell is correct, pocket passers give you a bit better chance at SB wins...

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
you high.......
no question top 4

Mahomes
Brady
Rogers
Wilson
Brady, Mahomes, and I really had to choose. I’ll take Wilson over Rogers. Just because I don’t like the way Rogers process please under the bus is too much of a crybaby for me

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Might as well light it up.....

According to Dalton Miller of Pro Football Network, Prescott is just outside of the top-50, coming in at No. 54 overall. That's ahead of Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley and behind Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen.

Miller also ranked his teammate, running back Ezekiel Elliott, at No. 88 on the list. Here's what Miller had to say about his ranking of the Dallas signal-caller:

"Dak Prescott drops a few spots year to year, but that’s presumably due to the season-ending injury he suffered in Week 5 against the New York Giants. Prescott signed a huge deal in the offseason after lighting defenses on fire before his untimely injury. He appears to be on schedule to start in 2021, and with Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, and Michael Gallup, it’s difficult to see a situation where he doesn’t compete for a passing title this year.

“Prescott’s improvements in his footwork led to drastic improvements in his accuracy in 2019. That carried into 2020, along with his propensity to test defenses instead of playing passively. He could very well play his way into contention for the final page of the NFL Top 100 Rankings going into 2022.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...p-50-in-nfls-best-players-for-2021/ar-AAM04Uo

Too high or too low seems like 95% of the opinions I see expressed about Dak here.

"Dak is great! He's a top 5, elite QB!"
"Dak sucks! Gilbert can do as well!"

Both views seem outlandish to me.

Dak is a good QB. The problem is he's being paid like a great one, but that's what the we-like-our-guys Jones boys have been doing for years.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Game on the line I’m taking Brady. After that I’m taking Prescot. I think the guy has ice in his veins veins. Yep I said that

garyo1954

Reaction score
Too high or too low seems like 95% of the opinions I see expressed about Dak here.

Dak is a good QB. The problem is he's being paid like a great one, but that's what the we-like-our-guys Jones boys have been doing for years.

I agree. Still watching the list, no QBs have shown up in the last 20 (Zack Martin popped up at #34 this morning).

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Pocket passer is usually defined, at least as I've always understood it, was a quarterback who runs only rarely on purpose, or rolls out to one side just a couple of yards or so. Moving in the pocket, running if there's a wide open gap in the line or keeping the ball on a 4th and
One doesn't make someone not a pocket quarterback. Brady has never rushed more than about 3 times a game in all his 20 years in the game.

Agreed. Or it could be summarized as looking to pass first & foremost. Running past the line of scrimmage as a last resort, designed play or defensive breakdown.

Russ & Kyler for example are very much pocket passers even though they are excellent runners. They understand the best thing they can do for the team is get the ball into other players hands.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I dont know that overpaying the QB is a Jones thing....sit back a sec and watch what the market does for the next group that really have not won anything yet either....

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Who has more fourth-quarter comebacks since he’s been in the league Prescott

Can’t argue with facts

Who's won conference championships, SuperBowls & MVP's?

Those are the guys you choose to put into a "must perform" situation. At least that is what 99.99% of the world's population would do if their reputation & job were on the line.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Those are the guys you choose to put into a "must perform" situation. At least that is what 99.99% of the world's population would do if their reputation & job were on the line.
Guess you don’t know too much about the game. Just because they did it one year doesn’t mean they’re going to the next. Look at Mahomes he sucked in the Super Bowl. Jared Goff. He was . Yeah why am I even bothering

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

So again who has the most comebacks. Championships are done by teams not individuals

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I dont know that overpaying the QB is a Jones thing....sit back a sec and watch what the market does for the next group that really have not won anything yet either....

I was referring to paying good players like great players, regardless of position, which has been a Jones thing. They've worked hard to keep the band together, even though the band hasn't done anything more than win a wild card playoff game.

Dallas has multiple players in the top five paid at their position with little team success to show for it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Not teams put together by the Cowboys current GM? what did I win?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I was referring to paying good players like great players, regardless of position, which has been a Jones thing. They've worked hard to keep the band together, even though the band hasn't done anything more than win a wild card playoff game.

Dallas has multiple players in the top five paid at their position with little team success to show for it.

I do agree its almost like they take the easy road...it was shocking how the Dak thing went to be honest. Its apparent they do not do Market shopping for trades to me.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Guess you don’t know too much about the game. Just because they did it one year doesn’t mean they’re going to the next. Look at Mahomes he sucked in the Super Bowl. Jared Goff. He was . Yeah why am I even bothering

Boy, you are hard headed.

I, along with everyone else knows that Russ, AR & Mahomes are all elite talents that have been doing it year in & year out.

Mahomes has not sucked in any single game he has played in the NFL. You can try to speak it into existence but it's simply not true. Guess you don't understand the team aspect of the game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pure pocket passers are and have been rare for a while now.
Brady is often labeled a pocket passer yet it's a loose definition at best.
He is slow as dirt, yes, but he moves as well as anyone in tight quarters with balance and a plan to escape pressure.
He is definitely not rocket armed and sitting there taking shots to hit deep passes a la the golden era pocket passer.
He is a manipulator of defenses at the LOS who has a very quick release and moves off the spot to complete passes from different arm angles.
Tony Romo likewise was not a pocket passer even thought he had no straight line speed.

Pat, Russ, Rodgers, Brees Are NOT pocket passers. These are all guys who used movement to vary passing angles and launch points.

The game has shifted entirely and Brady is a big part of that.
Teams very seldom go max defend and create a shell for crossing patterns or deep shots.
But that's virtually all 1980 and 1990 football was.

Matt Stafford has taken too many sacks and thrown too many INT to be considered elite pretty much every year of his career.
And while DET has always had various issues they have kept elite receiving options around for Matt Stafford to throw to.
You can certainly argue as most rankings do that Kenny Golladay is a better WR than any current Ram.

The Rams feel as you do of course but I do not believe them.
Golliday is better than some realize, imo.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams offense struggles some early on w/ Stafford adjusting to that modified Shanahan system. It usually does take a while ---as it did Rodgers from 2019-2020 and Mayfield the first half of last year in variations of that system.

Plus, I recently looked at the Rams early schedule.
They better be careful or they could take 2-4 losses in their first 5 games (Four 2020 playoff teams plus the Cards)

In that division, that's a hole.
:laugh:

garyo1954

Reaction score
Who has more fourth-quarter comebacks since he’s been in the league Prescott

Can’t argue with facts

Facts:

Chicago Bears Justin Fields 2021
Jacksonville Jaguars Trevor Lawrence 2021
New York Jets Zach Wilson 2021
Cincinnati Bengals Joe Burrow 2020
Los Angeles Chargers Justin Herbert 2020
Miami Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa 2020
Philadelphia Eagles Jalen Hurts 2020
Arizona Cardinals Kyler Murray 2019
Denver Broncos Drew Lock 2019
New York Giants Daniel Jones 2019
Baltimore Ravens Lamar Jackson 2018
Buffalo Bills Josh Allen 2018
Carolina Panthers Sam Darnold 2018
Cleveland Browns Baker Mayfield 2018
Houston Texans Deshaun Watson 2017
Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes 2017
Dallas Cowboys Dak Prescott 2016
Detroit Lions Jared Goff 2016
Indianapolis Colts Carson Wentz 2016
New Orleans Saints Jameis Winston 2015
Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr 2014
San Francisco 49ers Jimmy Garappolo 2014
Minnesota Vikings Kirk Cousins 2012
Seattle Seahawks Russell Wilson 2012
Tennessee Titans Ryan Tannehill 2012
New England Patriots Cam Newton 2011
Los Angeles Rams Matthew Stafford 2009
Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan 2008
Washington Football Team Ryan Fitzpatrick 2007
Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers 2005
Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roelishberger 2004
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tom Brady 2000

Depending on how things shake out with Garappolo Winston, Newton, and Rodgers up to/over half the starting QBs could have less years in the league than QB1. Decisions based on stats back to 2016 limit your choices.