Too many holes on OL and Defense to pay Dak

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
The Colts are a perfect fit for Dak in 2021. Available CAP space, need for franchise QB, in a position to challenge and possibly being hindered by their present QB (with his poor QBR).[/QUOTE

You mentioned Cooper was trade able. I mentioned Gallup can be before the deadline.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
[gy of throwing a Hail Mary at the draft in hopes of finding a QB as good as the one you have is not really a strategy at all. You're not getting a first for any of the guys you listed. Griffen was on the street until August and the rest have untenable contracts. I do wonder how many of the "Jeff Heath sucks" crowd has come forward and apologized so far though.[/

You make it seem as if there are none to be found. As if talented players don’t exist. Maybe it’s not a QB as good as Dak maybe it’s one that better. You never know.

No one is making it seem anything. History says > 95% of QBs who come into the league will suck. Half the posters here weren't born the last time the Cowboys drafted a QB in the first round. As for "you never know." you are 100% correct.. I'm an engineer.. I don't like "you never know." When I write a program I don't put any { if ( You never know) then do X } into my programs. Programs depend on known input.. In this case the known input is Dak. Whether people want to admit it or not he's no worse than a top 10 QB who is continually improving. The odds that anybody I draft will instantly be better than that are astronomical. The point is I know what I need to do to be successful with Dak.. Good receivers, good running game, decent line and a decent defense. I have no idea what I will need to make some other guy successful. I get that some people are willing to wander into QB wilderness again because they don't like Dak.. That's their prerogative. I won't be going there with them.

Creeper

Reaction score
I get the logic because it is what I would have used as an argument not to sign Zeke and Amari Cooper. But before they make this decision, they have to have a backup plan. Dalton is not the answer. The problem is, QBs are not easy to find. This is why teams spend high 1st round picks on them, and still come up short. The Jets are looking to move on from Dalton. The Cards took a QB in the first round giving up on the first one almost immediately then drafting another one. It's not easy. And after you picks them, it might take a couple of years to figure out if he is any good. It's best to stick with the one you know is good. But yes, giving Dak $40 million is going to cripple the Cowboys cap. Then again, KC is doing it and every team with a top QB going forward is going to do it too. The Cowboys should have extended Dak a long time ago. But that's 2020 hindsight.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am no Dak hater.

The problem with the other bad contracts IS IN THE PAST. S.U.M.O.

No, I dont think the GM would spend money wisely, he'd probably spend it on the Offense or a Defensive player that's all action/movement, but very with very little results.
and that's my point. spending money on players that give you a return. high return. so far Dak, martin, cooper have/close to paying off.

lawrence, jaylon, zeke, collins, smith are not paying off. I included injuries on the list, since they are being paid and not getting anything in return.
mid level players that are not paying off include griffin, crawford, poe, mccoy

that's 9 players, majority of cap and we are getting zilch in return...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I get the logic because it is what I would have used as an argument not to sign Zeke and Amari Cooper. But before they make this decision, they have to have a backup plan. Dalton is not the answer. The problem is, QBs are not easy to find. This is why teams spend high 1st round picks on them, and still come up short. The Jets are looking to move on from Dalton. The Cards took a QB in the first round giving up on the first one almost immediately then drafting another one. It's not easy. And after you picks them, it might take a couple of years to figure out if he is any good. It's best to stick with the one you know is good. But yes, giving Dak $40 million is going to cripple the Cowboys cap. Then again, KC is doing it and every team with a top QB going forward is going to do it too. The Cowboys should have extended Dak a long time ago. But that's 2020 hindsight.

The difference with the Chiefs is that Mahomes was willing to take the longer deal giving them money to spend up to the tv revenue money.

As ive said i'm no Dak hater by any means, however, the CAP is such we need something like a 5 year deal, so we can compete in the short term. I dont think we're going to compete if he's here or not, the Defense and back up O-Line are awful and would take alot of rebuilding.....which is restricted in the next couple of years by the previous overpriced contracts.

The whole Dak contract issue is worth a miniseries.... his 2018 average season (statistically) meant he wouldnt command top dollar, the revenue increase coming in the middle of a potential first big contract, Covid, historically overpriced contracts.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
and that's my point. spending money on players that give you a return. high return. so far Dak, martin, cooper have/close to paying off.

lawrence, jaylon, zeke, collins, smith are not paying off. I included injuries on the list, since they are being paid and not getting anything in return.
mid level players that are not paying off include griffin, crawford, poe, mccoy

that's 9 players, majority of cap and we are getting zilch in return...

Yes, but that's not changing....well not until 2022/23, there's just too much Dead Cap money involved.

As I say JJ's MO is to give those long contracts, but has to give guaranteed money at the latter end to offset paying players now....in effect he's kicking the can.

It's not so bad if everyone agrees to this, but Dak wanting 4 years (inc 2020) meant JJ was handcuffed in what he could pay, hence he needs Dak to accept a longer contract.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So you get lucky and draft a good young QB on a rookie contract, build a good team around him..then right when they are about ready....YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THEM....this isn't new ....go find all the patrick Mahommes like stories for me, really the only one close is Wilson...after that name me all the rookie contract QB's winning Superbowls? You guys get way to wrapped up in the cap..it's a GM's job to do this we are in trouble because our GM has ZERO accountability and that aint changing until the reaper does his thing......

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If Tyron, Martin, and Collins are healthy next season they will be fine on the offensive line.

That's what we said last year and look what happened.

Due to the fact that as a threesome they are the highest paid O-Line (for the next 4 years) and two of them have had season ending injuries, i'd want some kind of reasonable back-ups to lessen their playing time.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Absolutely correct.. But I understand why they didn't to a degree. They had seen teams like JAX, Miami and the Vikings put 100 million dollar contracts on guys only to have it blow up in their faces. They were scared.. I would have extended Dak after 2018 and not looked back. Had they done so they would be paying him under 30 million a year and would already be heading into the 3rd year of that contract. Even if Dak fell on his face there would be flexibility to move on very shortly. What we have seen instead is Dak taking significant steps forward as a passer in 2019 and yet another leap forward in 2020. So instead of having an ascending talent at a bargain price we are in QB limbo and now the market for franchise QBs has predictably jumped another 20-25% .. This was a bad business decision by the Joneses. Letting Dak walk would only compound that mistake. IMHO of course.

Creeper

Reaction score
Absolutely correct.. But I understand why they didn't to a degree. They had seen teams like JAX, Miami and the Vikings put 100 million dollar contracts on guys only to have it blow up in their faces. They were scared.. I would have extended Dak after 2018 and not looked back. Had they done so they would be paying him under 30 million a year and would already be heading into the 3rd year of that contract. Even if Dak fell on his face there would be flexibility to move on very shortly. What we have seen instead is Dak taking significant steps forward as a passer in 2019 and yet another leap forward in 2020. So instead of having an ascending talent at a bargain price we are in QB limbo and now the market for franchise QBs has predictably jumped another 20-25% .. This was a bad business decision by the Joneses. Letting Dak walk would only compound that mistake. IMHO of course.

The problem is even worse for the Cowboys now. In 2019 Dak started off looking great. Then in the 2nd half of the season he appeared to regress to making some of the mistakes he made in earlier season. I was looking forward to this season to see if Dak could learn from 2019 and maintain his improved play for the entire season. Now we don't have that answer. We know Dak is important to the Cowboys. Although we do not know how Dak would fare behind this banged up offensive line made up of rookies and scrubs.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Dak is not a top ten QB. He is very average and we cant afford to pay him way above average because we need a rebuild at OL and Defense. Its time to cut bait with Prescott.
You're right he was playing at closer to a top 5 QB this year before he got hurt. Good catch...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So you get lucky and draft a good young QB on a rookie contract, build a good team around him..then right when they are about ready....YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THEM....this isn't new ....go find all the patrick Mahommes like stories for me, really the only one close is Wilson...after that name me all the rookie contract QB's winning Superbowls? You guys get way to wrapped up in the cap..it's a GM's job to do this we are in trouble because our GM has ZERO accountability and that aint changing until the reaper does his thing......

Well it's certainly not Dak. Getting to a NFCC game is out of our reach atm and we wont get there if Dak sticks to wanting to be a fa in 2024.

I love your 'i dont understand it, so i'll pretend it isnt there', it's very similar to JJ over the years.

Proof

Reaction score
He is a bus driver who puts up a lot of yrds and points in garbage time. Hes really nothing special. You guys act like he is Mahomes or something.

bus driver and “put up too many yards” are not synonymous.

Proof

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't going to fix all the holes on offense and defense in one draft and then no Prescott means that they also won;t have the QB that has taken the Cowboys to be the #1 offense in the NFL too. So ya you're idea just adds more problems to have to fix. Ideas like that will keep the Cowboys down for longer not shorter.

there’s not a lot of holes on offense. The line is injured. I don’t know that Tyron will return to form, but even without, having zack and lael is a big boost.
The defense is what needs fixing, and between high draft picks and free agency that can be fortified

Proof

Reaction score
i am sorry but paying Dak is out of the question next year.whats the point of a watching a team crumbling around him one more year.This Defense needs major Fa talent to even be a recognizable NFL defense..

draft and FA. Him on a long term deal lowers his cap hit (compared to the tag) to free up money for the D. and top ten picks in each round give the opportunity to stock the D

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

But Dak likes to back himself. He wouldnt have got top dollar in 2019, as he was average in 2018. I would imagine the Jones' cheaped out on him, but what would be expected, players are usually paid on their last performances (Goff, Garoppolo, Ryan, Wentz).

starfan1

Reaction score
If Tyron, Martin, and Collins are healthy next season they will be fine on the offensive line.
thats a pipe dream. Tyron has missed games in the last 3 years he is on the downward decline and needs replaced immediately, Martin maybe and well see on Collins. I believe the cowboys definitely need a LT unless they believe that Williams can pop out. McGovern is a question mark but Guard is also a position to be concerned with.

Its not as concerning with defensive side of the ball but a concern nonetheless.

Proof

Reaction score
thats a pipe dream. Tyron has missed games in the last 3 years he is on the downward decline and needs replaced immediately, Martin maybe and well see on Collins. I believe the cowboys definitely need a LT unless they believe that Williams can pop out. McGovern is a question mark but Guard is also a position to be concerned with.

Its not as concerning with defensive side of the ball but a concern nonetheless.

only way I’m retooling/investing in the OL is if Zeke is a casualty. We don’t need 4 or 5 pro bowlers with Dak and the skill players we have

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We simply have too many holes to pay Dak 35+ mill a year. We need to rebuild our OL and Defense. We might as well rebuild at the QB position as well.
Bull****. A good draft, some maturation of some of the young guys and some quality FA's and we'll be ready to compete for championships. The only thing that is holding us back is the ownership.