Top 3 Most Meddlesome Owners (Per Jay Glazer)

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry is the GM. Aside from the occasional medical diagnosis, he does what GMs do. It’s not that he’s meddlesome. He just hasn’t been a particular good GM over the past twenty years.
Just keep watching

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Jerry is not meddlesome. Not like many want to say or believe.
He is just more interviewed and the media loves his stupid responses. Then fans run with them as to being meddlesome.

NO coach or player has ever came out to say Jerry meddles. Everyone says the had a great working relationship.
Too bad our fans can't accept that.
I am not sure that is true. There are stories of players skipping coaches and going directly to Jerry on issues.

He also has the final say on the draft and other decisions. We know he leans heavily on the people around him, but in the end, someone has to make the call when people are divided. It might not be considered meddlesome because he is the "GM" but an owner being the GM is meddlesome in its own right.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Seriously?? You think Jerry is making medical diagnoses?

All Jerry does is express hope, or repeat what he's been told by doctors - just like any other GM.
Relax, bro. It’s not a big deal.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I am not sure that is true. There are stories of players skipping coaches and going directly to Jerry on issues.

He also has the final say on the draft and other decisions. We know he leans heavily on the people around him, but in the end, someone has to make the call when people are divided. It might not be considered meddlesome because he is the "GM" but an owner being the GM is meddlesome in its own right.
No, that is the function of this organization. Not a fluke in comparison for what is bias by some lazy fans to apply a quality analysis and backed by interval applications and factors in effect.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This doesn't make sense. Jerry named himself GM and has been for decades. How can an owner possibly be any more meddlesome than that?
^ This and likewise installing three unqualified children into the franchise's front office but first a quick review of the three owners in question (article headlines are linked):

Meddling Owner Puts Jets In An Awkward Spot
Pro Football Talk/NBC Sports
January 23, 2013

Jets owner Woody Johnson, who apparently doesn’t want to be perceived a meddler, definitely isn’t afraid to meddle.

Otherwise, Johnson wouldn’t want anything when it comes to Tebow, Revis, or any other player other than what the employees he has hired to handle football matters want. If new G.M. John Idzik decides it makes sense to move Revis as he enters the final year of a contract that will void if Revis is on the roster the day after next year’s Super Bowl, then that’s what Woody should want. If Idzik decides otherwise, that’s what Woody should want...

...Maybe he’ll make like Rex and hop a plane to the Bahamas instead. With an owner who seems to want to be the G.M., it would be hard to blame Idzik.

Haslam Calls Report He’ll Get The Game Plan Inaccurate and Irresponsible
January 14, 2020

Responding to a report that Haslam told Stefanski that they’ll have weekly meetings on Mondays and that he has to turn the game plan into the owner on Fridays, Haslam said the first part is true but the second part is false.

“If you owned a pro football team, would you meet with the head coach the Monday after the game? Of course you would. I mean, of course we would,” Haslam said. “The rumors out there, though, about presenting the game plan, of those kind, are just totally inaccurate. And I really think they’re irresponsible...”

David Tepper Is to Blame for the Panthers’ Mess
Sports Illustrated
November 27, 2023

Under Tepper’s watch, the mismanagement of the roster and its draft equity has raised alarm bells elsewhere in the NFL. Notably, the team’s refusal to trade Brian Burns at the 2022 deadline, with a trove of picks on the table, followed by an inability to sign Burns to a long-term extension. By the time this season’s deadline rolled around, his value on the open market had been torpedoed. Even before this point, the way in which the team threw around picks and cash rivaled that of the post–Tom Brady Patriots in terms of pure confusion and ineffectiveness...

...This would be easy to blame on the current general manager, Scott Fitterer, had Tepper not shown the propensity to be involved early and often. That includes his oversight from the draft room, where he weighed in on trade strategy, to, at least according to what I’ve heard, some major coaching decisions as well as the overall construction of Reich’s staff at large. Reich’s toggling between the play-caller and being in a support role to Thomas Brown would seem to back that up...

All three owners have been meddlesome but Jones has acted similarly on more occasions. And as you mentioned, unlike the previous examples, Jerry Jones validated his actions in advance by gifting himself the title of a qualified football executive from day one before doing anything at all. The other three owners are playing catch-up to their peer with seniority on this topic.

slick325

Reaction score
On a recent episode of the Dan Lebatard Show, Jay Glazer revealed whom he believed to be the most meddlesome owners in the NFL.

3. Woody Johnson (Jets)

2. Jimmy Haslem (Browns)

1. David Tepper (Panthers)

Most of us believe that Jerry Jones is at least somewhat meddlesome. Perhaps it could be a lot worse. Glazer also stated that it was clearly Dan Snyder at #1 when he was in the league and scoffed at the idea of Jerry Jones being in the top 3.
So he makes number 4 in the Meddlesome Owners Playoffs? Or are we all going to be up in arms if the selection committee slights Jerry for someone else at number 4?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, I refuse to believe something that's contrary to what I've been claiming!!!...says half the people on this forum.

rags747

Reaction score
How many of those owners are the GM and have family members as the top company officials?

Each of those teams have 2 family members at the top in executive roles. Dallas has 4 and of course Jerry doubles as GM.

It's been like this for so long people forget now.
At the end of the day it will be much more than 4. Bravo to the Jones family!

CCBoy

Reaction score
^ This and likewise installing three unqualified children into the franchise's front office but first a quick review of the three owners in question (article headlines are linked):

Meddling Owner Puts Jets In An Awkward Spot
January 23, 2013

Jets owner Woody Johnson, who apparently doesn’t want to be perceived a meddler, definitely isn’t afraid to meddle.

Otherwise, Johnson wouldn’t want anything when it comes to Tebow, Revis, or any other player other than what the employees he has hired to handle football matters want. If new G.M. John Idzik decides it makes sense to move Revis as he enters the final year of a contract that will void if Revis is on the roster the day after next year’s Super Bowl, then that’s what Woody should want. If Idzik decides otherwise, that’s what Woody should want...

...Maybe he’ll make like Rex and hop a plane to the Bahamas instead. With an owner who seems to want to be the G.M., it would be hard to blame Idzik.

Haslam Calls Report He’ll Get The Game Plan Inaccurate and Irresponsible
January 14, 2020

Responding to a report that Haslam told Stefanski that they’ll have weekly meetings on Mondays and that he has to turn the game plan into the owner on Fridays, Haslam said the first part is true but the second part is false.

“If you owned a pro football team, would you meet with the head coach the Monday after the game? Of course you would. I mean, of course we would,” Haslam said. “The rumors out there, though, about presenting the game plan, of those kind, are just totally inaccurate. And I really think they’re irresponsible...”

David Tepper Is to Blame for the Panthers’ Mess
Sports Illustrated
November 27, 2023

Under Tepper’s watch, the mismanagement of the roster and its draft equity has raised alarm bells elsewhere in the NFL. Notably, the team’s refusal to trade Brian Burns at the 2022 deadline, with a trove of picks on the table, followed by an inability to sign Burns to a long-term extension. By the time this season’s deadline rolled around, his value on the open market had been torpedoed. Even before this point, the way in which the team threw around picks and cash rivaled that of the post–Tom Brady Patriots in terms of pure confusion and ineffectiveness...

...This would be easy to blame on the current general manager, Scott Fitterer, had Tepper not shown the propensity to be involved early and often. That includes his oversight from the draft room, where he weighed in on trade strategy, to, at least according to what I’ve heard, some major coaching decisions as well as the overall construction of Reich’s staff at large. Reich’s toggling between the play-caller and being in a support role to Thomas Brown would seem to back that up...

All three owners have been meddlesome but Jones has acted similarly on more occasions. And as you mentioned, unlike the previous examples, Jerry Jones validated his actions in advance by gifting himself the title of a qualified football executive from day one before doing anything at all. The other three owners are playing catch-up to their peer with seniority on this topic.
This is presented still short stepping the ability of Jerry Jones...that is specific.

Own up here. is his team or is his team not a current and strong NFL/NFC competitor at game 14? Yes or no.....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is presented still short stepping the ability of Jerry Jones...that is specific.

Own up here. is his team or is his team not a current and strong NFL/NFC competitor at game 14? Yes or no.....

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
On a recent episode of the Dan Lebatard Show, Jay Glazer revealed whom he believed to be the most meddlesome owners in the NFL.

3. Woody Johnson (Jets)

2. Jimmy Haslem (Browns)

Most of us believe that Jerry Jones is at least somewhat meddlesome. Perhaps it could be a lot worse. Glazer also stated that it was clearly Dan Snyder at #1 when he was in the league and scoffed at the idea of Jerry Jones being in the top 3.
Who Would Go On Loser "Dan Lebatard Show" Anyway? :facepalm:

Let's Put It This Way In The Reference Of Dan Lebtard To a 5-year-old Kansas City Chiefs fan.
NUFF SAID..

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry is the GM. Aside from the occasional medical diagnosis, he does what GMs do. It’s not that he’s meddlesome. He just hasn’t been a particular good GM over the past twenty years.
That's a good way of framing it,,, the GM role is central and inherently affects everything. Maybe Jerry doesn't phone down to the sideline and call plays or get involved in the day to day operations but he's involved in selecting the players, coordinators, and creating the circus environment around the team. So he might be "staying in his lane" but that lane cuts a wide swath!

IrishAnto

Reaction score
And the last time (if at all) did any of those teams win an SB (including the Boys)?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Photo playful piglet covered in mud farm adventure ai

Now identify what pig is in this very picture...and next when is it a hog?

This will really elevate your chosen attachment and picture as on topic as your own intention....next, start off on ethics and morales if one dares. I don't insult....even in your time on watch. You are far the inferior as to age. Not reinvent a new picture. You show being a snob by preference when intention involves Jerry Jones.

Return to avoidance and a redirected personal view apart from confronted reason for disagreement. Jerry Jones.

Leave my service out of your reason...and justification. That was fact, and you?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Few thoughts on this:
  • Maybe I’m wrong but I think all three of these guys are just owners? So it’s hard to compare them to Jerry because Jerry is the GM. Haslam sounds as bad as Dan Snyder. Turning over the gameplan each Friday night? Sheesh. Jerry would never force his coach to do something like that. He’s a people person, and he played college ball, so he has a leg up on these Ivy League suits guys who want to run their team like an Amazon,
  • Jerry made a lot of bad decisions early on, but it’s hard to say the team doesn’t run fairly smooth now. It’s a different dynamic since he’s the owner and the GM. Don’t get me wrong, it can still cause a lot of problems. I think the power balance is unnatural, which is what led to some of these stupid draft picks and trades we made early in his career. Players and coaches feel like they can go to the GM for anything that upsets them and this undermines the coaches. So it has its own set of problems. I think if I had to,accept one or the other, I’d probably go the GM/Owner merge over a meddlesome Owner operation. Have yet to see an NFL Team that can recover from that. Washington has been horrible for a long time.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

3. Woody Johnson (Jets)

2. Jimmy Haslem (Browns)

I am scoffing at his list. Lol

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

3. Woody Johnson (Jets)

2. Jimmy Haslem (Browns)

oh, jerry is going to get ticked off when he sees this. he is going to work hard on getting to number 1.

Jerry's problem is not meddlesomeness. its that he prioritizes profits over championship, where at times he has to sacrifice the former for the latter. to Jerry Bottom line is everything