Top 3 Most Meddlesome Owners (Per Jay Glazer)

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Jerry is not meddlesome. Not like many want to say or believe.
He is just more interviewed and the media loves his stupid responses. Then fans run with them as to being meddlesome.

NO coach or player has ever came out to say Jerry meddles. Everyone says the had a great working relationship.
Too bad our fans can't accept that.
Might be semantics, because I'm not sure if this is "meddlesome", but his relationship with players seems to undermine the HC. Or at least it was that way for a few years-- I don't hear about it much anymore.

Couple that with Jerry's financial interest in the team (rather than strictly an interest in on-field success), I have concerns that the 'meddling' is intrinsic.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Few thoughts on this:
  • Maybe I’m wrong but I think all three of these guys are just owners? So it’s hard to compare them to Jerry because Jerry is the GM. Haslam sounds as bad as Dan Snyder. Turning over the gameplan each Friday night? Sheesh. Jerry would never force his coach to do something like that. He’s a people person, and he played college ball, so he has a leg up on these Ivy League suits guys who want to run their team like an Amazon,
  • Jerry made a lot of bad decisions early on, but it’s hard to say the team doesn’t run fairly smooth now. It’s a different dynamic since he’s the owner and the GM. Don’t get me wrong, it can still cause a lot of problems. I think the power balance is unnatural, which is what led to some of these stupid draft picks and trades we made early in his career. Players and coaches feel like they can go to the GM for anything that upsets them and this undermines the coaches. So it has its own set of problems. I think if I had to,accept one or the other, I’d probably go the GM/Owner merge over a meddlesome Owner operation. Have yet to see an NFL Team that can recover from that. Washington has been horrible for a long time.
Jerry let Jimmy Johnson call the shots early; after that, it was Larry Lacewell, who was a disaster. The came Bill Parcells, who worked with Lacewell a little. After Parcells, Lacewell was back for a couple of drafts. Finally, Jerry promoted Will McClay. But McClay's modus operandi is to find out what the coaches want, and direct his scouting department to fill the orders of the coaches - which is how you get Taco Charlton instead of T.J. Watt. So, for a decade, Jerry's deference to Garrett and by extension to the other coaches through Will McClay, was holding back the Cowboys. Finally, after Garrett was fired, McClay started filling the orders of McCarthy's coaching staff. Since then, the Cowboys have been good.

In ALL OF THESE CASES, Jerry deferred to either the head coach, the Scouting Director, or some combination of the two. Jerry's skill is in recruiting players (see La'el Collins) and in handling the money. Yes, he does have final say, but as shown in the Johnny Manziel case, he defers to others and is loathe to overrule them. Like any good boss, he provides parameters, and breaks ties when there are disputes. But he isn't a bull in a China Closet when making decisions. He overruled Bill Parcells twice - with Demarcus Ware over Marcus Spears, and in signing Terrell Owens - both of which decisions were based on the pure talent of the players, and Jerry chose to side with Larry Lacewell.

For every decision like that, there are other decisions that he defers to the coaches, which have resulted in negative consequences for the Cowboys - such as refusing to draft Randy Moss because Chan Gailey didn't want him, and drafting Taco Charlton over T.J. Watt because of Rod Marinelli. What most pundits and fans are really complaining about is Jerry talking to the media, which ultimately is completely irrelevant to how the team operates.

For the life of me, I don't know why that bothers so many people. Other than Jimmy Johnson not wanting the share the spotlight with Jerry, his communication with the media has never been a problem for the team. So maybe fans and pundits are still holding a grudge about Jimmy. But Jerry paid millions for the right to talk about the Cowboys, and Jimmy was super-insubordinate in trying to shut Jerry up. If Jimmy wanted full control, then he should have ponied up the money himself. And it wasn't just Jerry that experienced insubordination from Jimmy; Jimmy did the same thing to the President of the University of Miami when he was head coach there. I refuse to blame Jerry for Jimmy being a dark puckered brown hole, regardless of how talented a coach Jimmy was.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry let Jimmy Johnson call the shots early; after that, it was Larry Lacewell, who was a disaster. The came Bill Parcells, who worked with Lacewell a little. After Parcells, Lacewell was back for a couple of drafts. Finally, Jerry promoted Will McClay. But McClay's modus operandi is to find out what the coaches want, and direct his scouting department to fill the orders of the coaches - which is how you get Taco Charlton instead of T.J. Watt. So, for a decade, Jerry's deference to Garrett and by extension to the other coaches through Will McClay, was holding back the Cowboys. Finally, after Garrett was fired, McClay started filling the orders of McCarthy's coaching staff. Since then, the Cowboys have been good.

In ALL OF THESE CASES, Jerry deferred to either the head coach, the Scouting Director, or some combination of the two. Jerry's skill is in recruiting players (see La'el Collins) and in handling the money. Yes, he does have final say, but as shown in the Johnny Manziel case, he defers to others and is loathe to overrule them. Like any good boss, he provides parameters, and breaks ties when there are disputes. But he isn't a bull in a China Closet when making decisions. He overruled Bill Parcells twice - with Demarcus Ware over Marcus Spears, and in signing Terrell Owens - both of which decisions were based on the pure talent of the players, and Jerry chose to side with Larry Lacewell.

For every decision like that, there are other decisions that he defers to the coaches, which have resulted in negative consequences for the Cowboys - such as refusing to draft Randy Moss because Chan Gailey didn't want him, and drafting Taco Charlton over T.J. Watt because of Rod Marinelli. What most pundits and fans are really complaining about is Jerry talking to the media, which ultimately is completely irrelevant to how the team operates.

For the life of me, I don't know why that bothers so many people. Other than awesome person Jimmy Johnson not wanting the share the spotlight with Jerry, his communication with the media has never been a problem for the team. So maybe fans and pundits are still holding a grudge about Jimmy. But Jerry paid millions for the right to talk about the Cowboys, and Jimmy was super-insubordinate in trying to shut Jerry up. If Jimmy wanted full control, then he should have ponied up the money himself. And it wasn't just Jerry that experienced insubordination from Jimmy; he did the same thing to the President of the University of Miami when he was head coach there. I refuse to blame Jerry for Jimmy being an awesome person - regardless of how talented a coach Jimmy was.
Could have been Lacewell but also felt like people didn’t know how to tell Jerry no for a while. That’s how we end up giving multiple 1sts for a WR dud, play the QB Carousel after Aikman or wildcat some draft picks. Stephen stopping Jerry from drafting Manziel for a solid lineman is when I knew we had turned the corner. Feels like the team has a good balance now and competent people at all positions.

Eddie

Reaction score
Jerry picks the players, the coaches, the assistant coaches, the backup coaches, the management team, the scouts, the janitors, the concession people ... yeah, I'd say meddlesome captures it correctly.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still didn't get an answer on game 14 yes or no!
BFuDQMU.gif
BFuDQMU.gif

cowboyed

Reaction score
Jerry is the GM. Aside from the occasional medical diagnosis, he does what GMs do. It’s not that he’s meddlesome. He just hasn’t been a particular good GM over the past twenty years.
I agree he hasn't been particularly good as a GM over the past 20 years, but in my opinion 81 year old Jerry appears to be more of a figurehead GM now with everything seemingly being more managed by the management committee consisting of Stephen Jones, McCarthy, McClay, Quinn and Schottenheimer.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a recent episode of the Dan Lebatard Show, Jay Glazer revealed whom he believed to be the most meddlesome owners in the NFL.

3. Woody Johnson (Jets)

2. Jimmy Haslem (Browns)

1. David Tepper (Panthers)

Most of us believe that Jerry Jones is at least somewhat meddlesome. Perhaps it could be a lot worse. Glazer also stated that it was clearly Dan Snyder at #1 when he was in the league and scoffed at the idea of Jerry Jones being in the top 3.
It’s a different dynamic bc those owners are not also the GM. Jerry is about the only owner who is also the GM making it literally his job to “meddle”.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Call your units to attention, and present arms...when Omar Bradley was stationed at William Beaumont Hospital at Fort Knox, Ky...the pass in review was an hour and a half long and 17 soldiers passed out at attention in ranks that ceremony.

erod

Reaction score
Jerry is too drunk and horny to meddle too much.

He's just an embarrassment to the city and franchise. That's the main issue.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Call your units to attention, and present arms...when Omar Bradley was stationed at William Beaumont Hospital at Fort Knox, Ky...the pass in review was an hour and a half long and 17 soldiers passed out at attention in ranks that ceremony.

BFuDQMU.gif
BFuDQMU.gif
BFuDQMU.gif

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry is too drunk and horny to meddle too much.

He's just an embarrassment to the city and franchise. That's the main issue.
No, here, you sound amazingly close to a bar room brag...instead of dealing with integrity. It wouldn't take long before someone toting cuffs arrived to check it out.:facepalm::popcorn: You drink...er, ever got drunk in your life? Let's get to the real ethics now...want a quick trial or continue with a blowhart?

CCBoy

Reaction score

For the life of me, I don't know why that bothers so many people. Other than Jimmy Johnson not wanting the share the spotlight with Jerry, his communication with the media has never been a problem for the team. So maybe fans and pundits are still holding a grudge about Jimmy. But Jerry paid millions for the right to talk about the Cowboys, and Jimmy was super-insubordinate in trying to shut Jerry up. If Jimmy wanted full control, then he should have ponied up the money himself. And it wasn't just Jerry that experienced insubordination from Jimmy; Jimmy did the same thing to the President of the University of Miami when he was head coach there. I refuse to blame Jerry for Jimmy being a dark puckered brown hole, regardless of how talented a coach Jimmy was.
Nice and to the point. He gave his heart to the Cowboys. That goes for his role in the NFL. He's done a lot good for professional sport and it's players and that not always to his own benefits. Actually he was a very dedicated and ethical person throughout...and enough backbone to take the road with plenty of gambles and bumps along the way. I truely respect the man who walked the path as a man. Not perfect, but accountable the whole trip. He paid for his path. He knew football as well.

Thanks...nice to share. Go Cowboys! :starspin:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely. i have a close connection to him. Micro manager to the 10th degree. Doesn't work in sports. Hard to explain that to a guy who micro managed his way to Billion$.
Yeah basically what I heard from Carolina sports radio. He’s Jerry but without his Jimmy Johnson or hell even his Mike McCarthy. Sounds as bad as Snyder.

Kwyn

Reaction score
There are stories of players skipping coaches and going directly to Jerry on issues.
Have some examples for us?

just curious how far back you’d have to go. Chan Gailey era?

plasticman

Reaction score
Don't know that any sports media would want to upset one of the most powerful owners in the NFL.

There is no upside for the reporter, and he loses a valuable resource for filling up a column on an uninspiring evening. Jerry Jones is always good for a story.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Allow me to here and now state...in today's world - Just quit dehumanizing people...period. That includes Jerry Jones the man. Don't forget, some people respect that.:starspin: