Top 5 horror films

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In an earlier post I mentioned about "Jeepers Creepers" having one of the best beginnings to any horror movie period. Here are some additional that start out at an incredibly high level...

Original "Dawn of the Dead" The opening sequence in the TV studio takes you from zero to100 right now as far as immersing you into ongoing zombie apocalypse.

Original "Halloween" The "Mikey" sequence with him spying on his sister making out with her boyfriend, him putting on the mask, stabbing her and his parents coming home is as good a movie set as you'll find in any movie– horror film or not.

"American Werewolf in London" Love the music and photography of the opening sequence (until the two guys are attacked by the werewolf). And the dialog in the northern UK pub is outstanding.

"The Thing" The opening dog chase by the Norwegians in the helicopter lit the fuse to a great movie.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I tend to be into more atmospheric horror films than the slasher kind. Psychological horrors tend to stay with me a lot longer.

This scene is a great example of what I'm talking about

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is there a good channel to watch some of these old horror movies? Like Prophecy, Creature from Black Lagoon, etc, etc.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a good channel to watch some of these old horror movies? Like Prophecy, Creature from Black Lagoon, etc, etc.

The streaming service Shudder.com (which you can also access through Amazon) is 4.99 a month. If you're a horror movie aficionado then it's a great investment. 100's of horror flicks available all the time. Also if you're an Amazon Prime member there are always a number of free horror movies available for viewing.

I also rummage DVD movie clearance bins and such... You can put together a nice collection without spending a fortune.

bb721

Reaction score
A few more that didn't make my top 5 but are deserving of an Honorable Mention....

Ginger Snaps
Re-Animator
Frailty
Hellraiser
28 Days Later
American Werewolf in London

A few more oldies but goodies. Once again these are not worthy of top 5 consideration, but all of them are well worth watching.

Basket Case
The Howling
House
Fright Night
Night of the Comet

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to invade your DVD collection, Mr. Winicki!!! :D

Oh boy there are some real gems there! LOL!

Like almost every "Godzilla" film.

The "Hatchet" trilogy.

The "Feast" trilogy.

Some made for TV gems like:

"Kolchak the Night Stalker"

"Killdozer"

Along with some cult classics like:

"The Brain that Wouldn't Die."

"The Horror of Party Beach."

bb721

Reaction score
Here's my more modern list since everybody is only listing the classics:

10. The Strangers
9. Train to Busan
8. The Ruins
7. The Orphanage
6. Get Out
5. Drag Me to Hell
4. Cabin in the Woods
3. 28 Days Later
2. Let Me In
1. It Follows

Lots of great choices Joey. Just to riff on one of your choices, I’ve heard about but never seen The Orphanage , but really enjoyed The Orphan. Have you seen that one?

bb721

Reaction score
Oh boy there are some real gems there! LOL!

Like almost every "Godzilla" film.

The "Hatchet" trilogy.
."

Dude, I’m a big fan of the first Hatchet, but the only reason I even got turned on to it is because I really LOVE one of Adam Green’s earlier movies “Frozen”. Have you checked that one out?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, I’m a big fan of the first Hatchet, but the only reason I even got turned on to it is because I really LOVE one of Adam Green’s earlier movies “Frozen”. Have you checked that one out?

Yep, one of those I have on DVD.

One of the most grotesque sequences in any movie I've watched is the guy jumping off the ski lift onto the frozen ground underneath. Ugh... that looked incredibly painful!

bb721

Reaction score
Yep, one of those I have on DVD.

One of the most grotesque sequences in any movie I've watched is the guy jumping off the ski lift onto the frozen ground underneath. Ugh... that looked incredibly painful!

And then when he’s injured and immobile on the ground, and the wolves start closing in....

bb721

Reaction score
LOL!

And I thought it was bad enough with them having to peel their skin off metal parts of the ski lift.

An under appreciated classic. Well, classic is going too far. Maybe hidden gem is a better term? Every year on Thanksgiving our family gets together, usually 12 or so of us, and it’s traditional that we watch a movie after the Cowboys game ends (we celebrate the holiday at my house, so everyone knows that watching the game is non negotiable). It’s my job to pick the movie each year, and horror is often the genre. I showed “”Frozen” a couple years ago and it was a big hit.