Top 5 NFC teams and Dallas shoved aside by a QB-less team?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We were laughed at in the late 80's and early 90's. After we won the SB we were respected. I remember year in and year out the media kept saying the real SB was between the Cowboys and the 49ers. And people keep saying the last 27 years doesn't matter. Well until the Cowboys stop crapping the bed like they have for the last 27 years it does. I mean the Cowboys usually start off well. Then after Thanksgiving you can see some cracks soaking in and then by the playoffs it's like here we go again. Last year had to be the easiest path to the SB in years and we couldn't even get to a championship game.
This statement irks me to no end. It was all in the bag for us. Win the two games we should have won (Green Bay and Jacksonville), and we're home for the playoffs. Heck, we held the 49ers to 19 points! 19!
But here come the Cowboys, Cowboying like we always do. And symbolic of how we self-destruct is the last play of the game when we have our erstwhile running back on the line blocking and getting pancaked like hot asphalt under a steam roller.
How bout dem Cowboys! :rolleyes:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Upset in terms of the opinions of critics and commentators. We go through this cycle of complaints every year. Our arch-rivals are projected as better teams than ours, and fans whine about bias and lack of football knowledge by those who predict the Cowboys to do worse than our rivals.

Included in those 27 years of futility is our recent past like the past two season when we got punted from the playoffs by the 49ers. Past performance is the greatest predicter of future results. So, no, it's not odd criticism.

What have the 49ers really won? How about two games that stopped us from advancing to the NFC Championship? How about winning an NFC Championship Game?
The question shouldn't be what the ... have the 49ers won, but what the HECK have the Dallas Cowboys won. Yes, they got a step farther than we have. That's why many rank them above us. They may stall, but they don't stall against us. :(

The 49ers had no quarterback last year but found one in the final round with the final pick of the 2022 draft. Besides, who would you rather have solving your offensive problems Kyle Shanahan or Brian Schottenheimer?

Yeah, that's what I thought. ;)
Its for sure a odd criticism.

This is not even the same Cowboy team that played San Fran last year let alone 27 years ago. We don't even have Kellen Moore.
Even Philly.....so they lose all of these guys.....they lose linebackers, safeties...lose their best interior defensive linemen and it means nothing lol. They lose their OC and DC and it has no effect on them.

Past performance is the greatest predictor of the future....so since no NFC East team has ever won back to back NFC East titles since 2003 that means the Eagles won't be the best this year right? Does that not mean Cowboys, Giants or Commanders will win the division?

And congrats on the 49ers winning 2nd place once in 30+ years. I stand on what I say they haven't done anything to give them this praise of being great for the past 30 years. Their recent history has been a joke as well.

And the question isn't what has the Cowboys won. I'm not sitting here saying the Cowboys should be propped up. We know their history. Whether it's ancient or recent....we know the deal. We know the hurdles they face. I have no issue with saying the 49ers and Eagles are better teams and organizations than the Cowboys. I can go down a list of why that is and the last one I'd come up with is because Cowboys haven't won anything in 27 years lol

As far as Shottenheimer and Shanahan....it is what it is. Kyle Shanahan hasn't done crap his career either. He's not Sean McVey. But is he lightyears better than Brian? For sure but ultimately I think its McCarthy we our putting our future in not him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This statement irks me to no end. It was all in the bag for us. Win the two games we should have won (Green Bay and Jacksonville), and we're home for the playoffs. Heck, we held the 49ers to 19 points! 19!
But here come the Cowboys, Cowboying like we always do. And symbolic of how we self-destruct is the last play of the game when we have our erstwhile running back on the line blocking and getting pancaked like hot asphalt under a steam roller.
How bout dem Cowboys! :rolleyes:
Well it makes you feel any better Cowboys were the 3rd best team in the NFC last year. They would've more than likely lost to the Eagles or the 49ers. They were never winning a SB with Kellen Moore as OC.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going into the 2023 season and not based on 2022, or the last 27 years. As that has NOTHING to do with this upcoming season.

Based on off-season moves, FA, Draft. I will put Dallas, SF, Philly all about even.
However they are ranked, Dallas closed the gap. And I heard this from several different analysts from both ESPN & NFLN.

Both SF & Philly lost both OC & DC, even keeping the same systems, that can still effect a team. Look at TB, Arians moves to the FO, and their DC becomes HC...all should be the same basically....we seen how it was not. So even if anyone was promoted from within those 2 teams. Can still have a negative effect. Or maybe not. But with losing as many players as both did, I see a drop off.

SF had a really bad draft, Eagles had a good draft, if the Georgia defense can make the transition. Philly widened the talent gap over SF.

Dallas had the most consistent off-season. Made the right coaching staff moves, or we hope so. Retained Quinn was huge. Had a good draft, great by some, no so great to others. But solid if they too work out.
Retained many key FA as where SF & Philly lost quite a few starters and depth.
To me Dallas closed the gap on both. But was it enough to say they should be ranked above them. I know many on here will say no, because that is how they always feel. But it is their opinion and leaves things up for debate.

They are the top 3 teams no doubt. But is Minnesota not too far behind, did NYG improve, or did they just have a good season. The Saints may surprise, and watch out for Detroit. Those 4 teams I group into the next level. If Washington gets a QB, they may be right there as well.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

This is not even the same Cowboy team that played San Fran last year let alone 27 years ago. We don't even have Kellen Moore.
Even Philly.....so they lose all of these guys.....they lose linebackers, safeties...lose their best interior defensive linemen and it means nothing lol. They lose their OC and DC and it has no effect on them.

Past performance is the greatest predictor of the future....so since no NFC East team has ever won back to back NFC East titles since 2003 that means the Eagles won't be the best this year right? Does that not mean Cowboys, Giants or Commanders will win the division?

And congrats on the 49ers winning 2nd place once in 30+ years. I stand on what I say they haven't done anything to give them this praise of being great for the past 30 years. Their recent history has been a joke as well.

And the question isn't what has the Cowboys won. I'm not sitting here saying the Cowboys should be propped up. We know their history. Whether it's ancient or recent....we know the deal. We know the hurdles they face. I have no issue with saying the 49ers and Eagles are better teams and organizations than the Cowboys. I can go down a list of why that is and the last one I'd come up with is because Cowboys haven't won anything in 27 years lol

As far as Shottenheimer and Shanahan....it is what it is. Kyle Shanahan hasn't done crap his career either. He's not Sean McVey. But is he lightyears better than Brian? For sure but ultimately I think its McCarthy we our putting our future in not him.
It may be odd to you, but based on the argument I outlined, it's not odd to me.

We don't know what will be - unless you have a crystal ball that tells the future.
The only thing we have available is past history. And we make predictions ALL THE TIME based on past history.
Now, history can be used in such a way that we learn from it to not repeat the same mistakes.
Hopefully, the Cowboys will learn from history this time. But as it stands now, past history is a good indicator of future results. And 27 years of futility tells us a lot.
You may not like this, but it's how humans operate, unless you're ready to give an irresponsible friend responsibility he has shown he can't handle. ;)

Second, I'm not into nitpicking nor chasing rabbits. As it stands now, based on past history, the 49ers are better than we are. They've beaten us twice in recent history, and that in the playoffs. Until proven otherwise, they are better than we.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It may be odd to you, but based on the argument I outlined, it's not odd to me.

We don't know what will be - unless you have a crystal ball that tells the future.
The only thing we have available is past history. And we make predictions ALL THE TIME based on past history.
Now, history can be used in such a way that we learn from it to not repeat the same mistakes.
Hopefully, the Cowboys will learn from history this time. But as it stands now, past history is a good indicator of future results. And 27 years of futility tells us a lot.
You may not like this, but it's how humans operate, unless you're ready to give an irresponsible friend responsibility he has shown he can't handle. ;)

Second, I'm not into nitpicking nor chasing rabbits. As it stands now, based on past history, the 49ers are better than we are. They've beaten us twice in recent history, and that in the playoffs. Until proven otherwise, they are better than we.
Once again, I agree the 49ers are better than the Cowboys. Eagles as well.

This is not about hyping up Dallas.

I don't know maybe its me. It's just a pet peeve of mine that these people have nothing more emeanginful to say other than "The past 27 years....". Why is Parsons and Lamb judged for what happened before they were born?

When I gauge on what should happen next season yes I factor in recent history but also with the offseason they've had. And everyone typically does. Nobody says the Lions suck. No. Everyone is saying the Lions will make the playoffs next year lol. Their 27+ years of futility doesn't go into effect. Just the Cowboys.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Once again, I agree the 49ers are better than the Cowboys. Eagles as well.

This is not about hyping up Dallas.

I don't know maybe its me. It's just a pet peeve of mine that these people have nothing more emeanginful to say other than "The past 27 years....". Why is Parsons and Lamb judged for what happened before they were born?

When I gauge on what should happen next season yes I factor in recent history but also with the offseason they've had. And everyone typically does. Nobody says the Lions suck. No. Everyone is saying the Lions will make the playoffs next year lol. Their 27+ years of futility doesn't go into effect. Just the Cowboys.
Fair enough. Don't mean to get into a drawn-out debate. Your perspective is noted. Peace.

75boyz

Reaction score
20+ INTS from Dak and the worst record in football is my hope for this season.

We draft Caleb Williams #1 overall.

Maybe he’s better than Dak. Maybe he’s not. All I know is we know what Dak gives us and that’s failure. We don’t know what Williams could give us.
Yup,
that's a good enough "plan" for me. Because you know it has to be a plan for some here.
And if he ends up sucking...? Guess what?
Draft another one in another couple years.

Just dont waste 8 years of the team's time making your decision this time, lol.
Just as bad as sticking with Garrett for 10 years.
Same thing really.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yup,
that's a good enough "plan" for me. Because you know it has to be a plan for some here.
And if he ends up sucking...? Guess what?
Draft another one in another couple years.

Just dont waste 8 years of the team's time making your decision this time, lol.
Just as bad as sticking with Garrett for 10 years.
Same thing really.
We're going on 15 combined years wasting the most important position in sports on an undrafted talent and a 4th round talent.

Pitiful.

GMO415

Reaction score

True. History shows the iggles will not win the NFCE this year and looking at their schedule, I seriously doubt they will. They will be playing 17 SB games this year before the playoffs.

I have a feeling they will drop off

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of Moore either. We'll see this year if it was just him or the quarterback.
Probably was a combination of both honestly lol. Especially last year.
True. History shows the iggles will not win the NFCE this year and looking at their schedule, I seriously doubt they will. They will be playing 17 SB games this year before the playoffs.

I have a feeling they will drop off
Yeah I think they will drop off for sure. May still
Be good enough to win but no one can convince me that a team that was in the SB last year loses key people to their franchise and it won’t take a hit.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
20+ INTS from Dak and the worst record in football is my hope for this season.

We draft Caleb Williams #1 overall.

Maybe he’s better than Dak. Maybe he’s not. All I know is we know what Dak gives us and that’s failure. We don’t know what Williams could give us.
Embarrassing

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
People put too much emphasis on the QB because it's the most important position. But the truth is, even a great QB is limited by his roster. They can't make up for an opponent with a clearly better roster.

No one would put Jimmy Garoppolo in the same universe as Aaron Rodgers. Yet the 2019 NFCCG it wasn't even close. And I don't know anyone that thought GB would win. The 49ers were that much better, and Rodgers couldn't even come close to making up for that.
SHHH- i hear it here all the time some QB's "Lift" their team up on their shoulders to win games!!!!!..lol

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm serious. The 49ers got to the NFC Championship with a rookie, third-string quarterback.
The Eagles with a far-less experienced quarterback - compared to ours - got to an NFC Championship and then the Super Bowl.
We haven't sniffed the NFC Championship in 27 years. We had the perfect opportunity to upset the Niners in San Francisco, and we promptly wet the bed.
And our fans have the nerve to be upset because we're ranked by the Eagles and the 49ers?
Much of what these commentators-turned-critics is true: the Dallas Cowboys are playoff pretenders until proven otherwise.
NFC Championship Game or bust.
No ... more ... excuses!
yes, we wet the bed, because their team and scheme was better than ours. we lost pollard and our whole team fell apart. game was 6-6 and then 9-9....zeke rushed for all of 18 yards after that. niners then moved to defending the run with front 4, and dropping 7 into coverage and blanketing CD.....when you build a paper thin team, an injury like that completely devastes you.

why paper thin? because Jerry jones thought a WR coming off major knee surgery mid season, can recover fast enough to be #2 WR and that Noah brown is a legit #3..... and then ship your other good WR, under contract, under the cap for a 5th round pick because he piisssed you off. . he thought keeping a RB, that can get to the LOS slower than my 85 year old mother as the highest paid RB in the league was a smart move. in the meantime, the eagles surronded Hurts with the best OL in the league by far, a top 3 rushing attack and a top 3 WR group, trading for a top 5 WR to add to their team and gave him a top 5 TE and a top 3 defense. do you think Jones is capable of building a team like that? if our GM is capable of putting a team together, then we would have a chance. we have been suffering for 27 years. because of incompetence of one man.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
yes, we wet the bed, because their team and scheme was better than ours. we lost pollard and our whole team fell apart. game was 6-6 and then 9-9....zeke rushed for all of 18 yards after that. niners then moved to defending the run with front 4, and dropping 7 into coverage and blanketing CD.....when you build a paper thin team, an injury like that completely devastes you.

why paper thin? because Jerry jones thought a WR coming off major knee surgery mid season, can recover fast enough to be #2 WR and that Noah brown is a legit #3..... and then ship your other good WR, under contract, under the cap for a 5th round pick because he piisssed you off. . he thought keeping a RB, that can get to the LOS slower than my 85 year old mother as the highest paid RB in the league was a smart move. in the meantime, the eagles surronded Hurts with the best OL in the league by far, a top 3 rushing attack and a top 3 WR group, trading for a top 5 WR to add to their team and gave him a top 5 TE and a top 3 defense. do you think Jones is capable of building a team like that? if our GM is capable of putting a team together, then we would have a chance. we have been suffering for 27 years. because of incompetence of one man.
I agree with everything you said.
Still ... it's NFC-Championship or bust.
No ... more ... excuses!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said.
Still ... it's NFC-Championship or bust.
No ... more ... excuses!
I mean i love where your heads at but the whole Jerry thing and "No More Excuses" , Im not sure what line we are drawing here....