TR: The Cowboys May Have Spent Themselves Into a Bad Situation

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I put Garrett into three sections like a lot of HCs. The first 5 years or so he did an above average job in putting things on a new track. Then he was average-slightly above average with a good team but didn't climb the mountain top. Last year he lost the team and deserved to be fired. Most coaches, including Landry, have different grades at different stages.

let me give you the ONLY SCALE that you need.

If a guy is anything close to average he sucks. Makes analysis of who needs to be replaced very easy.

Now you are always going to have average guys its impossible not to.

Garrett was good at 2 things:

-getting hired, saying the right things
-getting people to like him

Everything else he was bad at. Including all the most important things like game management, 6th sense, adjustments, game planning, and clock management.

Since Jerry is NOT a pure football guy he, more than other GM's needs a strong football mind close to him running his team. MM is that guy where Garrett never could be.

ESisback

Reaction score
let me give you the ONLY SCALE that you need.

If a guy is anything close to average he sucks. Makes analysis of who needs to be replaced very easy.

Now you are always going to have average guys its impossible not to.

Garrett was good at 2 things:

-getting hired, saying the right things
-getting people to like him

Everything else he was bad at. Including all the most important things like game management, 6th sense, adjustments, game planning, and clock management.

Since Jerry is NOT a pure football guy he, more than other GM's needs a strong football mind close to him running his team. MM is that guy where Garrett never could be.

So Jerry is 32nd for having a “strong football mind”?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
There are a lot of really good posters who are fun and informative in their own, diverse ways.
@Kaiser is one of them. You're a fave of mine also. I miss you doing the play-by-plays during gameday.

Edit: after I posted this and having seen @CowboyRoy post right above me... he's fun to read also.
Credit where credit's due.
Thanks bro, I've been considering doing it again this year since we have a new coach. lol

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Maybe don't give a RB 15 million a year.

The salary cap goes up every year, in 2 seasons Dak's contract will look like whatever for a starting NFL qb.

Good luck trying to find a franchise QB on a cheap rookie deal, i'd rather just pay someone and get it over with.

ESisback

Reaction score
You said since he’s not a pure football guy like other GMs...

When does he gain some savvy? After 30 years around players, coaches, trainers, GM’s, media, scouts, etc., in stadiums, camps, draft rooms, courtrooms and press conferences all across the country...wouldn’t SOMETHING rub off?

No, I think his gambling and meddling have hurt us, his loyalty to players and coaches too. IMO, he’s top three business-wise, maybe middle of the pack as a football guy.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Whereas Garrett oversaw rosters teeming with talent and value, McCarthy is getting less of each and being asked to do more.

Sorry McCarthy, but having less talent to work with was baked into the cake. Garrett rode out the Cheap Dak years. That allowed us not to crash and burn when we ate Romo and Dez money, but we didn't make anything of it last year either.

Last year wasn't just Cheap Dak, but Cheap Cooper, Cheap Byron and Cheap 2016 Draft Haul. We mortgage a first round pick to put more value into the Garrett years. We didn't cash in on the Cheap when we had the chance. Massive Garrett failure.

We had a stack of talent cheap. We mortgaged some of the future. Garrett didn't capitalize on it all. People should remember that when comparing McCarthy to Garrett, but there's little point in McCarthy whining about. There was no option at this point for it to be otherwise. Jerry isn't spitefully withholding resources from him.

ESisback

Reaction score
Sorry McCarthy, but having less talent to work with was baked into the cake. Garrett rode out the Cheap Dak years. That allowed us not to crash and burn when we ate Romo and Dez money, but we didn't make anything of it last year either.

Last year wasn't just Cheap Dak, but Cheap Cooper, Cheap Byron and Cheap 2016 Draft Haul. We mortgage a first round pick to put more value into the Garrett years. We didn't cash in on the Cheap when we had the chance. Massive Garrett failure.

We had a stack of talent cheap. We mortgaged some of the future. Garrett didn't capitalize on it all. People should remember that when comparing McCarthy to Garrett, but there's little point in McCarthy whining about. There was no option at this point for it to be otherwise. Jerry isn't spitefully withholding resources from him.

I don’t understand the “less talent” stuff....

We lost Witten, Heath, Bennett, Byron Jones, Quinn, Cobb, Collins, now Frederick. Big Fred was the most talented, but we haven’t really had 100% Fred since 2017. Witten was past it, Heath was called a JAG by most posters, Quinn was horrible against the run, Cobb wasn’t that vital, nor was Collins or Bennett, and Jones? He’s a freak athlete, but they need/want a ballhawk. Then we signed McCoy and Poe to help the run defense, bolstered our depth by signing our own FA, and inked Bell and Canady. We’re probably not done in FA, and we still have the draft, and I’d wager that a month from now we’ll have anywhere from almost as much talent to MORE talent. Add a new scheme and better coaching...

Looking forward to it!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You said since he’s not a pure football guy like other GMs...

When does he gain some savvy? After 30 years around players, coaches, trainers, GM’s, media, scouts, etc., in stadiums, camps, draft rooms, courtrooms and press conferences all across the country...wouldn’t SOMETHING rub off?

No, I think his gambling and meddling have hurt us, his loyalty to players and coaches too. IMO, he’s top three business-wise, maybe middle of the pack as a football guy.

he’s just not full time football. Has other things to worry about.

SSoup

Reaction score
Whereas Garrett oversaw rosters teeming with talent and value, McCarthy is getting less of each and being asked to do more.
Not unlike the situation Garrett was in when he took the reigns from the failed predecessor. Not unlike the situation almost all new hires (or newly promoted guys) are in.

Now McCarthy needs to draft well and develop players to position the team for success. Like we did to give ourselves the roster that everybody swore Garrett was underachieving with because the roster was so much better than the results.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I just hope that those trying to make excuses will admit that the playing field is far from 'level' between the two. Those that still can;t admit that the Garrett era was a failure continue to try to make every excuse in the book for him while trying to make instant demands of McCarthy. That's a blatant double standard, especially since they made excuses for Garrett for 10 years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t understand the “less talent” stuff....

We lost Witten, Heath, Bennett, Byron Jones, Quinn, Cobb, Collins, now Frederick. Big Fred was the most talented, but we haven’t really had 100% Fred since 2017. Witten was past it, Heath was called a JAG by most posters, Quinn was horrible against the run, Cobb wasn’t that vital, nor was Collins or Bennett, and Jones? He’s a freak athlete, but they need/want a ballhawk. Then we signed McCoy and Poe to help the run defense, bolstered our depth by signing our own FA, and inked Bell and Canady. We’re probably not done in FA, and we still have the draft, and I’d wager that a month from now we’ll have anywhere from almost as much talent to MORE talent. Add a new scheme and better coaching...

Looking forward to it!

A whole lot of wrong in this post.