TR: The Cowboys May Have Spent Themselves Into a Bad Situation

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not unlike the situation Garrett was in when he took the reigns from the failed predecessor. Not unlike the situation almost all new hires (or newly promoted guys) are in.

Now McCarthy needs to draft well and develop players to position the team for success. Like we did to give ourselves the roster that everybody swore Garrett was underachieving with because the roster was so much better than the results.

The one that Garrett directly contributed to having huge holes, based on poor drafts from 2017 to present.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What issues do I have? Asking for a friend. :D

Okay great. So FINALLY getting rid of Red....signing a super bowl winning coach.....fairly good FA signings....and you STILL have to be a whiney aZZ beech?

Okay great. You have fun with your life. Sheesh...people. I hate them all.

Start here. Show a shred of personal accountability for the grief that you started.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or maybe just things you disagree with?
Is it something specific?

Most of this:

I don’t understand the “less talent” stuff....

We lost Witten, Heath, Bennett, Byron Jones, Quinn, Cobb, Collins, now Frederick. Big Fred was the most talented, but we haven’t really had 100% Fred since 2017. Witten was past it, Heath was called a JAG by most posters, Quinn was horrible against the run, Cobb wasn’t that vital, nor was Collins or Bennett, and Jones? He’s a freak athlete, but they need/want a ballhawk. Then we signed McCoy and Poe to help the run defense, bolstered our depth by signing our own FA, and inked Bell and Canady. We’re probably not done in FA, and we still have the draft, and I’d wager that a month from now we’ll have anywhere from almost as much talent to MORE talent. Add a new scheme and better coaching...

Looking forward to it!

A poor attempt to downplay every player loss.

ESisback

Reaction score
Most of this:

A poor attempt to downplay every player loss.

I’d bet the farm that when we had these guys, you weren’t lined up dishing accolades. You deny that people have bashed Heath for years? Or cried that Witten was past it, and taking up valuable roster space. How about Quinn? Great pass rusher, but in his quest for sack$, how many times did YOU see RBs blow past him? Seriously, how much positive impact did we really get from Cobb or Bennett or Collins? How many INTs did Jones get since he’s been here, 2? 3?

Stash, I like you and a lot of your posts, but you always seem to be promoting the perception that Dallas is in trouble. I’m not invested to worry 24/7. I’m invested to have fun and enjoy Cowboys football, and I’m looking forward to seeing how all the changes work out.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d bet the farm that when we had these guys, you weren’t lined up dishing accolades.

And I'd also bet that they were a whole lot better in your eyes when they were Cowboys. And likewise, you'd be "dishing up accolades" were they brought back.

You deny that people have bashed Heath for years?

Not at all.

[/quote]Or cried that Witten was past it, and taking up valuable roster space.

How about Quinn? Great pass rusher, but in his quest for sack$, how many times did YOU see RBs blow past him?

11.5 sacks in 14 games. The next closest guy had 5! And that production got him a deal that averages $14 million a year! Tyrone Crawford won't give you 11.5 sacks at RDE in 10 years! But you go ahead and continue looking foolish.

Seriously, how much positive impact did we really get from Cobb or Bennett or Collins?

Randall Cobb had 55 catches for 828 yards last year. And you and I both know that with a few big plays that were missed or called back, that's closer to 1,000 yards. And he managed to get a contract paying him $9 million a year out of that. But you keep looking bad trying to downplay that.

How many INTs did Jones get since he’s been here, 2? 3?

Who's replacing his coverage? Anthony freaking Brown? Feast or famine Jordan Lewis?

Lie to yourself if you need to, just keep it in your head.

ESisback

Reaction score
And I'd also bet that they were a whole lot better in your eyes when they were Cowboys. And likewise, you'd be "dishing up accolades" were they brought back.

Not at all.
Or cried that Witten was past it, and taking up valuable roster space.

11.5 sacks in 14 games. The next closest guy had 5! And that production got him a deal that averages $14 million a year! Tyrone Crawford won't give you 11.5 sacks at RDE in 10 years! But you go ahead and continue looking foolish.

Randall Cobb had 55 catches for 828 yards last year. And you and I both know that with a few big plays that were missed or called back, that's closer to 1,000 yards. And he managed to get a contract paying him $9 million a year out of that. But you keep looking bad trying to downplay that.

Who's replacing his coverage? Anthony freaking Brown? Feast or famine Jordan Lewis?

Lie to yourself if you need to, just keep it in your head.[/QUOTE]

Why must I “keep it in my head”? Why are YOU allowed to spew any crap you want, but dissenting opinions must stay silent?

I never said Crawford or Brown were anything above quality depth and backup, and I lamented Witten’s 3 yard catches and Jones’ lack of INTs. I just didn’t go overboard whining about it! Yeah, Cobb added some decent numbers, but is that so hard to replace? Yeah, I could be downplaying a couple of these guys, but that’s fairly common when fans discuss their team. What’s less common? A supposed fan finding doom and incompetence around every corner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why must I “keep it in my head”? Why are YOU allowed to spew any crap you want, but dissenting opinions must stay silent?

I never said Crawford or Brown were anything above quality depth and backup, and I lamented Witten’s 3 yard catches and Jones’ lack of INTs. I just didn’t go overboard whining about it! Yeah, Cobb added some decent numbers, but is that so hard to replace? Yeah, I could be downplaying a couple of these guys, but that’s fairly common when fans discuss their team. What’s less common? A supposed fan finding doom and incompetence around every corner.

It's good that you can admit it. That was my point.

ESisback

Reaction score
It's good that you can admit it. That was my point.

But at least I’m not rocking back and forth muttering “We’re doomed!” I look forward to all the changes and I think we’ll improve on the 8-8. Don’t you?
I like Witten, but he’s not gonna blow it up in Vegas! Jones won’t become an interception machine, and I’d wager we won’t see much of Cobb or Collins in the headlines.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But at least I’m not rocking back and forth muttering “We’re doomed!”

Do you have a quote from me saying "we're doomed"?

I look forward to all the changes and I think we’ll improve on the 8-8. Don’t you?

Absolutely. I'm glad that we can agree on the important items. I'm on record saying that this is a 10-win team if they bring back Dak and Cooper. That's based on coaching upgrade, not talent upgrade. I think they're still at a slight deficit in talent but still think better coaching can overcome that. That's my point.

I like Witten, but he’s not gonna blow it up in Vegas! Jones won’t become an interception machine, and I’d wager we won’t see much of Cobb or Collins in the headlines.

No, but my point is that the players left here are a clear downgrade from those guys. Not Witten, but Jones to Lewis or Brown is a downgrade. Quinn to whoever we line up there right now is a downgrade. And whoever lined up in place of Cobb right now is a downgrade. Until proven otherwise. That's my point.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Start here. Show a shred of personal accountability for the grief that you started.

You aren't saying in what way I should be held "accountable". By pointing out useless over-negativity? Or just you saying so it must be...without any logic or reason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You aren't saying in what way I should be held "accountable". By pointing out useless over-negativity? Or just you saying so it must be...without any logic or reason.

I said 'personal accountability', that means you hold yourself accountable. Admit your own role in the situation and the "useless over-negativity" that you helped to start. I'm surprised that you need me to explain that "logic and reason" to you, but there you go.

ESisback

Reaction score
Do you have a quote from me saying "we're doomed"?

Absolutely. I'm glad that we can agree on the important items. I'm on record saying that this is a 10-win team if they bring back Dak and Cooper. That's based on coaching upgrade, not talent upgrade. I think they're still at a slight deficit in talent but still think better coaching can overcome that. That's my point.

No, but my point is that the players left here are a clear downgrade from those guys. Not Witten, but Jones to Lewis or Brown is a downgrade. Quinn to whoever we line up there right now is a downgrade. And whoever lined up in place of Cobb right now is a downgrade. Until proven otherwise. That's my point.

The doomed thing was goofy hyperbole. Generalizing, ya know?

Right now, they’re saying Gregory will be back at RDE, and I’ll take him over Quinn.

I agree that the coaching will negate any talent shortages. IMO, however, any gap there is will be made up in the next several weeks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The doomed thing was goofy hyperbole. Generalizing, ya know?

Right now, they’re saying Gregory will be back at RDE, and I’ll take him over Quinn.

Why exactly would you 'take him over Quinn'?

I agree that the coaching will negate any talent shortages. IMO, however, any gap there is will be made up in the next several weeks.

Then we should revisit this conversation then. But it's unreasonable to make comments based on talent that include wishful thinking and what might or might not happen 'in the next several weeks'.

ESisback

Reaction score
Why exactly would you 'take him over Quinn'?

Then we should revisit this conversation then. But it's unreasonable to make comments based on talent that include wishful thinking and what might or might not happen 'in the next several weeks'.
I’ll take Gregory over Quinn because he’s better against the run. Let me enjoy my “wishful thinking”, and you can relish your perpetually miserable “realism”, ok?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll take Gregory over Quinn because he’s better against the run.

Based on what data or facts?

Let me enjoy my “wishful thinking”, and you can relish your perpetually miserable “realism”, ok?

Is that how you see things? I think we've found our real problem.

ESisback

Reaction score
Based on what data or facts?

Is that how you see things? I think we've found our real problem.

I’ve seen too many plays where we had opponents in third and long, and in his quest to pile up sacks for the big check, got burnt by swing passes and nimble RBs. Many posters here say the same thing—Gregory is a pass rusher too, but he’s also better against the run. I trust my eyes, and the opinions of several respected posters validates it for me.

Real problem? I like to enjoy football, and for me, that includes hope and optimism. Soaking up the atmosphere, watching the games, speculating about what might happen, etc. You act like it’s your job, and you have big money invested—and you very rarely seem satisfied.

Can we shelf this? Agree to disagree? I feel like I’ve already wasted too much time shouting at brick walls. So have the last word if you need it. See you at the debate awards banquet!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I just hope that those trying to make excuses will admit that the playing field is far from 'level' between the two. Those that still can;t admit that the Garrett era was a failure continue to try to make every excuse in the book for him while trying to make instant demands of McCarthy. That's a blatant double standard, especially since they made excuses for Garrett for 10 years.

I expect what we have on offense to be used better, and fewer game management screw ups.

The problem with most is that they judge by record, and not what a person, whether player or coach, actually has control of.

We had a golden opportunity of a massive haul of players in 2016, including a franchise QB who cost nothing. We didn't make the most of that, particularly last year, even when we hit on Quinn and Bennett in free agency.